Dstance scale with 23mm

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
JimLong
Regular MemberPosts: 255
Like?
Dstance scale with 23mm
5 months ago

I have noticed that the distance  scale in the viewfinder is not available on the 23mm lens.  On my other lenses (18-55 and 55-200) I have the choice of turning on the distance scale for both manual focus and autofocus.  Further, even if I don't have the distance scale turned on in the menu, it will come on when I select manual mode and push the rear dial for magnification.  On the 23mm lens there seems to be no way to get a distance scale in manual focus mode.  It is greyed out in the menu and does not come on with magnification.  I realize that there is a distance scale on the lens barrel, but it is very hard to read.  Is this behavior common to all the prime lenses?  Is it common to the 23 and 14 (which select manual focus by pulling back the focus ring)?  Or does only the 23mm behave this way?

a l b e r t
Senior MemberPosts: 1,255Gear list
Like?
Re: Dstance scale with 23mm
In reply to JimLong, 5 months ago

It is because the 14 and 23 are real manual focus lenses, not the fly-by-wire type.  There is no rotation sensors on the manual focus ring to feed the distance info to the camera body, like the 35 1.4.

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D3S Fujifilm X-E1 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JimLong
Like?
In reply to a l b e r t, 5 months ago

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?

a l b e r t wrote:

It is because the 14 and 23 are real manual focus lenses, not the fly-by-wire type. There is no rotation sensors on the manual focus ring to feed the distance info to the camera body, like the 35 1.4.

It's still focus by wire though, so it should be able to transmit the DoF data to the camera, one would think. Hopefully Fuji can fix this via firmware some day, as I find the scale in the viewfinder handy sometimes. But if it's a choice between the two, I'll take the focus ring style of the 23mm over all the other lenses.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,576Gear list
Like?

a l b e r t wrote:

It is because the 14 and 23 are real manual focus lenses, not the fly-by-wire type. There is no rotation sensors on the manual focus ring to feed the distance info to the camera body, like the 35 1.4.

That is not accurate. The 14 and 23 both use MF focus by wire with the AF motor. They do not have continually rotating focus rings, so they behave more like real manual focus lenses.

The only reason the MF scale is not displayed on screen is because the Fuji team chose to disable it with these 2 lenses. I hope they change this in future firmware because the on-screen display is easier to see, especially in the dark.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +14 more
CraigArnold
Regular MemberPosts: 490Gear list
Like?
No good deed goes unpunished.

The howls of anguish over the lack of a DOF scale on the early lenses reverberated around the internet endlessly. Combined with endless criticism of the highly conservative DOF scale the engineers chose for display in the viewfinder.

So Fuji listened to what people said they wanted and (probably against their better judgement) etched it onto the barrel.

Now there are complaints in the other direction.

-- hide signature --

Blog ------------------------ http://craigspics.net/?tag=blog
X100 Blog ----------------- http://craigspics.net/?cat=6
X100 Quickstart Guide -- http://craigspics.net/?page_id=1345

CraigArnold's gear list:CraigArnold's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
AndreaV
Regular MemberPosts: 126
Like?
Re: No good deed goes unpunished.
In reply to CraigArnold, 5 months ago

CraigArnold wrote:

The howls of anguish over the lack of a DOF scale on the early lenses reverberated around the internet endlessly. Combined with endless criticism of the highly conservative DOF scale the engineers chose for display in the viewfinder.

So Fuji listened to what people said they wanted and (probably against their better judgement) etched it onto the barrel.

Now there are complaints in the other direction.

-- hide signature --

Blog ------------------------ http://craigspics.net/?tag=blog
X100 Blog ----------------- http://craigspics.net/?cat=6
X100 Quickstart Guide -- http://craigspics.net/?page_id=1345

As others pointed out it should not be difficult to have both and make everybody happy!

Personally I'm a big fan of the DOF scale etched onto the barrel.

JimLong
Like?

Here are a couple of things I have learned.  First, if you have the camera turned on and turn the focusing ring(in manual mode), you can hear the focusing motors working.  If you turn the camera off and turn the focusing ring, you do not hear the focusing motors working.  Second, if you turn the camera on and manually focus on something, turn the camera off and turn the focusing ring a reasonable distance, when you turn the camera back on you will hear the focusing motors moving the focus to the point where the focusing ring is set.

This could mean that the the lens is sending information to the camera which is activating the focus mechanism, or the focus ring is dealing directly with the focus motor without going through the camera.

I don't think we have enough information to know whether or not Fuji could easily implement an on-screen distance scale.

By the way, I don't consider this a serious issue for me I just thought it was strange.  However, a 1.4 lens is very useful in low light situations and I don't think you can read the scale on the lens in anything but fairly good light.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads