Fuji - Softness & Noise questions

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Fuji - Softness & Noise questions
11 months ago

Just testing my new X-E1 up against my OM-D E-M5 - there is no doubt that there is a huge difference in noise, more than a lot of the online test shots & samples show.
However I am finding everything to be a bit too smooth if I am honest, skin looks a bit like plastic / wet / soft. The Olympus does seem to over sharpen everything, but at least there are some fine details such as pores, or small hairs.

Take the eyebrows here for example

Not as bad but still showing a little plastic looking

Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Fuji - Softness & Noise questions
In reply to stimpy, 11 months ago

Edit: It's an X-E2 not X-E1. :r

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?

It is impossible to evaluate this without EXIF and processing information.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, 11 months ago

Red5TX wrote:

No processing. Straight out of camera Jpegs, default settings, no noise reduction on X-E1

Both 1/125 f2.0 2500 ISO

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,940Gear list
Like?

Set Dynamic Range to 100%, set autofocus to Area and select the center, manually set ISO based on the lighting situation same as you would pick a film ISO, use Provia or Astia film mode.

as a guide

ISO 100/200 bright sun

200/400 cloudy/low light inside with flash

800 and higher no flash

Do not set any on camera sharpness or mess with color etc for now leave all that at Zero.

In short Fuji X cameras work best not use Auto I have found this way and first discovered this with the Fuji X20 that you can not use Auto settings. ISO and Dynamic Range are linked to each other. Check the manual for more detail.

I have the XE-1.

Oh, use exposure comp as needed.

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,554Gear list
Like?

stimpy wrote:

Red5TX wrote:

No processing. Straight out of camera Jpegs, default settings, no noise reduction on X-E1

Both 1/125 f2.0 2500 ISO

Since they are JPEG, try setting NR to - something on Fuji.  At least on my XA1 it defaults to being too high.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Jim Evidon
Contributing MemberPosts: 521Gear list
Like?

stimpy wrote:

Just testing my new X-E1 up against my OM-D E-M5 - there is no doubt that there is a huge difference in noise, more than a lot of the online test shots & samples show.
However I am finding everything to be a bit too smooth if I am honest, skin looks a bit like plastic / wet / soft. The Olympus does seem to over sharpen everything, but at least there are some fine details such as pores, or small hairs.

Take the eyebrows here for example

Not as bad but still showing a little plastic looking

Are you shooting RAW or JPEG?  If RAW, what are you using as a RAW converter. Lightroom doesn't hack it if your needs are critical. Try Capture One ExpressPro7 or PhotoNinja or one of the other 3rd party RAW converter plug-ins or stand alone products that other forum contributors recommend.

I use C1 Express Pro 7 and my images from my XPro-1 are very sharp and do not look plastic compared to my OM-D E-M5 images. Both are equally sharp.

Jim

Jim Evidon's gear list:Jim Evidon's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm XF1 Leica M9 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +2 more
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,978Gear list
Like?

It is just a matter of settings IMHO

below an example with XP1 OOC JPEG only adjusted for levels and framing

You can sharpen abit more according to your taste For me this is close to, optimal sharp enough and silky smooth

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
biza43
Senior MemberPosts: 2,101Gear list
Like?

What you are showing is that two different camera companies have different strategies and outputs with regards to their OOC JPEGs default settings. Nothing surprising, and all perfectly adjustable to suit different tastes.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 +1 more
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,978Gear list
Like?
In reply to biza43, 11 months ago

100% agree

Just a matter of working out the settings that suits best the user!

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,702Gear list
Like?

I have the E-M5 and a couple Fujis.  It is the difference between the default settings of the two cameras.

I agree that Fuji, at it's default, can yield very plasticy looking effects...worse actually with some materials than with skin and at higher ISO's.  For example, green foliage can look like it was done with an oil paint palette knife.  Things like chrome fixtures can have oddly sharp definitions between spectral highlights...almost and orb effect like the infamous X10.

Having said that, you can mitigate this considerably by turning the NR down to -2.

Likewise, I find the default sharpening of the E-M5 is way too much.  It gives the shots a cheaper, oversharpened P&S look to them.

You can never make either camera exactly the same, but IMHO, the Fuji is the better performer, with regard to IQ, when you get the settings right...especially for photographing people.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?

Set NR to -2, Sharpening to +1

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194
Like?

stimpy wrote:

Red5TX wrote:

Both 1/125 f2.0 2500 ISO

Search for "red channel Fuji" and you will find many threads on this. Fuji does blur details in the red channel, and healthy skin just happens to be reddish. This is why many love to use it for people photography though, who doesn't like smooth skin?

OOC JPEG example

Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,455Gear list
Like?

either shoot RAW or at least turn noise reduction down.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads