2013 Camera of the year ... ? (Per SteveH)

Started Nov 6, 2013 | Polls
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,354Gear list
Like?
2013 Camera of the year ... ? (Per SteveH)
Nov 6, 2013

Do you agree with Steve's comparisons? link to Steve Huff's 2013 'prime new cameras'

• On A7 series:
  • The cons? Slower in every area than the E-M1, not as responsive as the E-M1, Af can hunt in low light. Not quite as enjoyable to use as the E-M1 but when you see your images on your screen, you will not even care Has a little learning curve to get the most out of it. Also, battery life could be better. I was shooting morning till night and had 50% left. Others were running out mid day (but I pick and choose my shots and shoot when I know I have something cool to shoot). But I think you will get around 300-400 shots per charge.

The winner:

• OM-D EM-1
  • Due to lenses available, the quality of the camera, the build, the EVF, the 5-Axis IS, the responsiveness and the color and IQ, this is my #1 recommended camera as of November 2013. I feel the price is cheap for what you get. $1399 for the body and your results will be outstanding.

I am not repeating the earlier thread discussing regarding the differences (link) but am interested in people's comments here.

I understand Steve's comment on lens selection and usability, but 3 FF cameras and 1 m43, and m43 is winner? Do you agree with Steve?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +33 more
POLL
I agree with Steve - OM-D EM-1 is #1 - all the way!
25.2% 41  votes
Heck no - I am all for the A7r - these will alter the photographic landscape!
50.9% 83  votes
Did you see the M240? How can you beat that? My choice for sure!
1.2% 2  votes
The Nikon Df is beyond my expectation, you cannot ignore this camera!
3.1% 5  votes
What? This is all that 2013 brought us? What about .... (my fav)?
1.8% 3  votes
My vote is irrelevant, the #1 camera of the year is picked by reviewers, not users...
4.9% 8  votes
Does anything still care about prices? These cameras would have been unheard off a few years ago. Please, give me sub $1,000 cameras... !
12.9% 21  votes
  Show results
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tuloom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,395
Like?
Re: 2013 Camera of the year ... ? (Per SteveH)
In reply to blue_skies, Nov 6, 2013

So this is a posthumous award.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
icycool123
Regular MemberPosts: 164Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tuloom, Nov 6, 2013

To the op did u even read the entire article? No where in the article did he say that one camera was better then the other. He did mention a bunch of pros and cons. He also did rate the camera favorably and is in fact purchasing an a7r. He still loves the omd, but he likes the sony's as well and gives several reasons why someone may choose the Sony over the omd. Nice try at a troll post though....

blue_skies
Like?
In reply to icycool123, Nov 6, 2013

icycool123 wrote:

To the op did u even read the entire article? No where in the article did he say that one camera was better then the other. He did mention a bunch of pros and cons. He also did rate the camera favorably and is in fact purchasing an a7r. He still loves the omd, but he likes the sony's as well and gives several reasons why someone may choose the Sony over the omd. Nice try at a troll post though....

Yes, I did, and hence my post. I quoted Steve from the article directly: on the E-M1:

• "this is my #1 recommended camera as of November 2013".

- in other words, he has a winner - at least, he says so himself...

His wrap-up:

• Wrap up..
  • So which camera, if any, is right for you? What do you shoot? What do you hope to shoot? Do you like shallow DOF? Do you shoot in low light often? Do you prefer speed and usability over slow and insane resolution? Only YOU can decide what camera you will like. Take a look at them and see which one speaks to you. One thing to keep in mind..
  • You can buy a Sony A7 with Kit Lens, an Olympus E-M1 with 20 1.7II and a Nikon Df with 50 1.8 for $6745. About $250 less than a Leica M body only setup. Now, I am a HUGE Leica guy but have to give it to Sony, Olympus and maybe even Nikon for releasing cameras that are all making us G.A.S. badly Props to Sony for pushing the envelope and high five to Olympus for creating that E-M1..what a jewel it is.

From his phrasing, I figure that he does NOT need shallow DOF, does NOT shoot under low-light, does NOT care about insane resolution, and that speed & usability are king.

Who is trolling here?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +33 more
kaku
Contributing MemberPosts: 612
Like?
In reply to icycool123, Nov 6, 2013

I agree with icycool. It's pretty deceiving to "quote" Steve's EM1 pick as the winner.  Nowhere did Steve definitively pick a winner.  He wrote his pros/cons opinion on each camera and gave it up to readers to decide for themselves which camera best suits them.

TiagoReil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,514Gear list
Like?

blue_skies wrote:

icycool123 wrote:

Yes, I did, and hence my post. I quoted Steve from the article directly: on the E-M1:

His wrap-up:

• Wrap up..
  • So which camera, if any, is right for you? What do you shoot? What do you hope to shoot? Do you like shallow DOF? Do you shoot in low light often? Do you prefer speed and usability over slow and insane resolution? Only YOU can decide what camera you will like. Take a look at them and see which one speaks to you. One thing to keep in mind..
  • You can buy a Sony A7 with Kit Lens, an Olympus E-M1 with 20 1.7II and a Nikon Df with 50 1.8 for $6745. About $250 less than a Leica M body only setup. Now, I am a HUGE Leica guy but have to give it to Sony, Olympus and maybe even Nikon for releasing cameras that are all making us G.A.S. badly Props to Sony for pushing the envelope and high five to Olympus for creating that E-M1..what a jewel it is.

From his phrasing, I figure that he does NOT need shallow DOF, does NOT shoot under low-light, does NOT care about insane resolution, and that speed & usability are king.

Who is trolling here?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Recommended is not the same as best. I would recommend an ipad or an iphone to anybody, but I know there are better phones (please, indulge the analogy, dont start a phone war, is an idea this). One is user friendly and easily recommended to anybody (even my dads) but the other is more powerful and more useful, at least to a pro user.

Thats why I dont think that recommended means camera of the year directly. It could end been it, but it may not be.

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,485Gear list
Like?

I prefer the A7 over the A7R (but this is ignorant in that I have yet to see the AF differences personally). I also am happy with the file sizes of my RAW images on my Canon 6D and the A7 is 24, so that bump should be okay. The A7R is 36 . . . ouch for my needs.

I don't mind Steve's selection. Lens choice is a big part of photography. Most of the readers of Steve Huff are not going to be legacy glass users and manual focus wizards, so AF lens options are a big consideration. I tend to agree with blue_skies above in that I am far more interested in the benefits of FF (e.g., low light and shallow DoF) to ever consider a tiny sensor. I am not even sure I'd ever go back to APS-C so the M43 series is totally out of the question even if the camera itself has all the buttons in just the right place. Meh.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 OnePlus One +2 more
ttan98
Senior MemberPosts: 1,036
Like?
Re:You thought I was...

blue_skies wrote:

icycool123 wrote:

His wrap-up:

• Wrap up..

Who is trolling here?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

trolling ONCE, now you are being accused of trolling. Is is so easy to accuse someone of trolling..

captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,213Gear list
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, Nov 6, 2013

meh..

Here's the news, IF it ever becomes news 'cause it's from SAR:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-one-simple-rumor-ff-nex-coming-soon-stay-tuned-on-sar/

"A super trusted sources [aren't they all?] got some hints that the new Sony CEO speeded up the NEX-FF photocamera project and it will not be announced in early 2014. It will come within 2 months. UPDATE: Availability still to be expected in 2014.

One more thing: Sony will surprise us with many new camera announcements soon."

So will there be a FF NEX and is APS-C dead?

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,485Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, Nov 6, 2013

captura wrote:

meh..

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-one-simple-rumor-ff-nex-coming-soon-stay-tuned-on-sar/

"A super trusted sources [aren't they all?] got some hints that the new Sony CEO speeded up the NEX-FF photocamera project and it will not be announced in early 2014. It will come within 2 months. UPDATE: Availability still to be expected in 2014.

non sequitur much?

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 OnePlus One +2 more
blue_skies
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, Nov 6, 2013

sean lancaster wrote:

captura wrote:

meh..

non sequitur much?

Either way, that rumor led to ... the A7/r.

APS-C is not dead, it seems that only Steve (captura) hasn't gotten the bulletin yet...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

NowHearThis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,314Gear list
Like?

Is the shutter-shock issue fixed on the m43 cameras?  I know panasonic has an electronic first curtain shutter in the G6, but does the OMD have that too?

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
captura
Like?

blue_skies wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

captura wrote:

meh..

non sequitur much?

Either way, that rumor led to ... the A7/r.

APS-C is not dead, it seems that only Steve (captura) hasn't gotten the bulletin yet...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Nope, haven't got it!

Cheers.

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
captura
Like?
In reply to NowHearThis, Nov 6, 2013

NowHearThis wrote:

Is the shutter-shock issue fixed on the m43 cameras? I know panasonic has an electronic first curtain shutter in the G6, but does the OMD have that too?

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

No, all the Olympus m43 cameras still have it because they haven't gotten around to install an EFCS shutter.

NEXFULLFRAME
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?

blue_skies wrote:

icycool123 wrote:

You are correct. And I can't help thinking that if the A7/A7R performed a bit better in the corners with the M lenses which Steve has a soft-spot form, then the result would have been different.

zzzorki7
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?

NIKON DF

zzzorki7's gear list:zzzorki7's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +6 more
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,976
Like?
In reply to zzzorki7, Nov 6, 2013

zzzorki7 wrote:

NIKON DF

I like the DF for what it is I guess but I'm not sure I think it should even make the list.  I'd probably put the RX10 and Pentax K-3 ahead of the DF.  It's really hard to consider it camera of the year just because of style.  You could make an argument for every other Nikon DSLR vs the DF.

Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,976
Like?
In reply to NEXFULLFRAME, Nov 6, 2013

NEXFULLFRAME wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

icycool123 wrote:

You are correct. And I can't help thinking that if the A7/A7R performed a bit better in the corners with the M lenses which Steve has a soft-spot form, then the result would have been different.

If you are just talking general recommendations, I'm not sure I wouldn't recommend the E-M1 over the A7/r or the Nikon D610 over the D800 for that matter but I wouldn't consider them the better camera.

pede59
Contributing MemberPosts: 889
Like?

I did not really find a button that would reflect my opinion.
I personally decided to purchase an OMD EM1 for certain reasons. That does not mean though that i believe this is the camera of the year. It just happens to meet my requirement.

Anyways ... i still would offer an opinion. If i look at innovation i give the A7 a plus. The OMD is an amazing body but i believe Sony pushed the envelope more by creating a compact ILC with FF sensor. Leica M240 is nice but not a breakthrough. Nikon is not an innovation at all. In fact it seems they are putting technologies from other cameras in an ultra retro body.

Kashmir442
Regular MemberPosts: 183
Like?

Steve tends to gush about everything too much to be taken seriously in his "judgements". I think he can best be explained as someone who wants to keep m4/3s fans AND Sony fans AND Leica fans, etc. coming back to his site. So it makes some sense for him to throw that camp a bone after all the A7 hype everywhere.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads