What next for an NEX 5N user

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Joachim Wulfers
Contributing MemberPosts: 739Gear list
Like?
What next for an NEX 5N user
5 months ago

After shooting with an NEX 5N for nearly 3 years it is difficult not to get tempted by all the news about new cameras from Sony, Fuji. I have been using the 5N with Sony and also many legacy lenses from Voigtlaender, Minolta, Nikon, Zeiss, etc. Most of these lenses will probably usable on an A7 or a X-E2, however do I really gain that much by switching to these new systems. As you can see I am soul searching. I am sure many NEX users are in a similar situation. Any opinions out there are welcome.

Here are a few shots from today with the Sigma 30/2.8 (third picture) and SEL 18200

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Joachim Wulfers's gear list:Joachim Wulfers's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II +5 more
Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 8,253Gear list
Like?
well???
In reply to Joachim Wulfers, 5 months ago

are you hung up on gear or do you just want to take pictures?

I like taking pictures and I love what my NEX-7 can do, as such I plan on using it until it stops working. When that happens I will look to see what new cameras are available.

Seriously - there was a time not so long ago when digital was still catching up so to speak, but these days cameras are so good that they can out put images better than most people will ever need - I print my best prints, and most of the big prints I have were taken with 6 and 10mp Nikons - my NEX-7 can easily blow them away, but who really prints that big. Then you have the vast majority of people who look at their pictures on their computer - - how much more resolution do you really need to view a picture filling the screen of a computer to TV?

the problem here is that people like to look at these tiny 100+% drops and then compare things no normal person would ever see.

photography should be about having fun and taking pictures and sharing those pictures with friends and family

gear collecting should be about collecting the best gear and then having a "who has the biggest" contest with fellow collectors

which one do you want to do?

JMO

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
HVL-F20AM Flash

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joachim Wulfers
Contributing MemberPosts: 739Gear list
Like?
Re: well???
In reply to edwardaneal, 5 months ago

edwardaneal wrote:

I like taking pictures and I love what my NEX-7 can do, as such I plan on using it until it stops working. When that happens I will look to see what new cameras are available.

Seriously - there was a time not so long ago when digital was still catching up so to speak, but these days cameras are so good that they can out put images better than most people will ever need - I print my best prints, and most of the big prints I have were taken with 6 and 10mp Nikons - my NEX-7 can easily blow them away, but who really prints that big. Then you have the vast majority of people who look at their pictures on their computer - - how much more resolution do you really need to view a picture filling the screen of a computer to TV?

the problem here is that people like to look at these tiny 100+% drops and then compare things no normal person would ever see.

photography should be about having fun and taking pictures and sharing those pictures with friends and family

gear collecting should be about collecting the best gear and then having a "who has the biggest" contest with fellow collectors

JMO

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
HVL-F20AM Flash

I am one of those who want to take pictures. But in the digital age my 3 year old 5N could be a dinosaur? Agreed, it takes terrific photos, however is a 6 or a 7 better. I am not speculating yet on the quality of the A7 and other systems. Thanks for your comments.

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Joachim Wulfers's gear list:Joachim Wulfers's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II +5 more
ttan98
Contributing MemberPosts: 934
Like?
Re: What next for an NEX 5N user

Hi,

I own 5n and F3, I am wondering too, I feel abandon, the release of E-mount lens are ether too expensive or not within the scope of purchase.

What I am waiting for is an E-mount lens comparable to Fuji 18-55mm f2.8 lens, around $699, or something similar and similarly priced, but no luck. The lens should Not so bulky please. The new 18-107mm is too bulky.

cxsparc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,098
Like?

Hi Joachim,

I aslo use a 5N with EVF and like it. I was briefly tempted tempted by the 6 due to AF, but then learned that it is not that much of a difference in reality. The 7 was not of interest for me, because

I could not see the benefit and saw the wideangle issues. One thing which now tempts me is either

a Speedbooster for my FD lenses, or getting the A7. This would allow me to use the FD lenses I have at their native focal lengths.

-- hide signature --
richiemccaw
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?

Hi Joachim,

Chances are your Nex 5N still takes great pictures. You sound like you probably want to enjoy the newer features on the A7, perhaps NFC. Unless you have a strong need or desire to enjoy your legacy lenses at their true focal length, or require shallow DoF, it's quite likely you would not need to upgrade.

I personally am not seeing the A7 as a must upgrade from my Nex 6. For the type of photography that I do, I fail to see the need to do so. It is however a great thing for consumers cause this would hopefully spur more options in the market for consumers.

Cheers.

richiemccaw's gear list:richiemccaw's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +6 more
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,908Gear list
Like?

Joachim, based on your short description of what you're thinking and then the few sample photos you posted, I would strongly recommend that you stick with the 5N and not allow yourself to think a new camera is going to do any kind of magic over what you already have. I was in a similar boat with my 5N about a year ago. I really wanted full frame (and the first 2 FF cameras I bought were very disappointing to me). But if you aren't feeling that desire, and the shots you shoot wouldn't change much (if at all) using a FF camera, then that probably shouldn't be a direction you consider. An NEX 7 wouldn't produce different images based on the shots you posted either. The 5N was a magical camera at the time and Sony has yet to produce a little mirrorless camera that caused me to want to upgrade when I would lose features that I liked so much (e.g., touch screen moving to the 6 or 7). If you can muster it, sticking with your 5N is probably your best bet.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Chris 1
Regular MemberPosts: 121Gear list
Like?

I am very happy with my 5n. A viewfinder and less menu diving are the two things I've come to want.

The a7 is not a consideration at all. Too bulky too expensive. A 4-6k price with lenses is too steep for me.

The Fuji would be on my short list. But again I can't justify a change. Like Mel has said put the money into a nice trip and take pictures with what you have. Fuji or Banff, I'll take Banff.

Chris 1's gear list:Chris 1's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon 1 J1 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
saintz
Regular MemberPosts: 300
Like?

The 6 has the same image sensor (just with added PDAF) as the 5N so there's no upgrade there in terms of image quality.

For the photographs you posted, the A7 will not turn out better pictures. The duck photo would be worse, as you lose the crop "reach." Landscapes will not really look any different.

Where full frame will help is things like portraits (shallow DoF for better subject isolation) and landscape or street shots in low light (better high ISO performance). Or if you print huge and need the extra pixels (this claim is overused, and for most people is a non-issue).

Your best bet is the 10-18 lens for landscapes. This will actually improve your landscapes as it will give you much more potential creativity.

The 16MP NEX 5N sensor is basically the best performing crop sensor on the market and can rival most FF sensors for uses such as you demonstrated.

Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,320Gear list
Like?

It sounds like the 5N suits you just fine. Its got a great sensor in it and you seem to be shooting legacy lenses on it. The A7 would allow you to use those lenses as intended and adds the EVF. If youre happy with what you have, then i dont see the need to do anything.

After shooting with an NEX 5N for nearly 3 years it is difficult not to get tempted by all the news about new cameras from Sony, Fuji. I have been using the 5N with Sony and also many legacy lenses from Voigtlaender, Minolta, Nikon, Zeiss, etc. Most of these lenses will probably usable on an A7 or a X-E2, however do I really gain that much by switching to these new systems. As you can see I am soul searching. I am sure many NEX users are in a similar situation. Any opinions out there are welcome.

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,485
Like?
Re: Same problem, different thoughts

OK. I have a 5n and an A900 and find I use both. The A900 when I am principally travelling by car and can lug it. The 5n when travelling by plane or just wandering around streets or hiking.

My biggest issue with the 5n is lens changing in crowded streets or dusty environments (Australian outback). I like wa and I am forever changing lenses and miss shots while my wife nails them with her Lumix P&S. But in low light, the Nex is wonderful.

Current thinking. Use two cameras when walking around. Keep the 5n (or maybe a 6) with 16-50 for compact size/wa shooting. Carry a second camera with a longer lens in the backpack. That second camera might be a new compact FF and then retire off the A900 as I build a lens collection for the A7 or A7r

or the 5n with wa lens in backpack and an rx1 (or maybe rx100 as the 5n would give me the better low light I often need)) for walking around. And keep the A900 for use from the car?

or .... I dunno either. But I think the 5n is likely to stay in the mix.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

captura
Forum ProPosts: 10,918Gear list
Like?

Joachim Wulfers wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

JMO

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
HVL-F20AM Flash

I am one of those who want to take pictures. But in the digital age my 3 year old 5N could be a dinosaur? Agreed, it takes terrific photos, however is a 6 or a 7 better. I am not speculating yet on the quality of the A7 and other systems. Thanks for your comments.

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Lakeshore, South Etobicoke. Nice!

If your 5N is working fine, live with it. If you want faster AF and you have some NEX lenses, then you can pick up a 5R pretty cheap now and use PDAF. But the IQ of the 5N is slightly better than the 5R or the 6.

Good luck!

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon 1 S1 NEX5R Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +10 more
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 2,776
Like?

I also have 5N and it shows its age, the resolution and noise have been improved since it was introduced, the e-mount lenses are few, and not great anyway, AF is dismal. So I'm using it with manual glass only. For other things I've got A58, and it's a great light body, with a newer sensor, great AF, and lots of lenses to choose from. And frankly, larger body feels more comfortable, YMMV.

Texas Parrothead
Forum MemberPosts: 98Gear list
Like?

I, like you, have been using the 5n since it was released and love it. I always said I wanted the sensor of the 5n in the body of the nex7. It took me a year after they released the 6 to finally talk myself into getting a used copy.

I couldn't't be happier! Yes it is the same IQ as the 5n but the addition of the evf, better controls and slightly increase in size make it perfect!

Check out keh or ebay for a like New copy of the nex 6 at a good price and enjoy. If you don't like it, resell it for a very small loss and consider it a rental cost. I doubt you will sell it though once you experience the improved controls and evf.

-- hide signature --

Greg

Texas Parrothead's gear list:Texas Parrothead's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +12 more
nannyg
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?

I just got my 5n a year ago and love it - loved it so much I bought a bunch of expensive lenses for it. Then I realized I could sell the expensive lenses and get an RX1 since I like that focal length for most of my shots anyway. But I kept my 5n body, the SEL50 for portraits, and got the cheap Rokinon 8mm for some fun ultra-wide shooting. In essence, the 5n will become my camera for any other focal length I want besides the FF 35mm on the RX1. And I'll stick with cheaper lenses for it, too.

If I were you, I would stick with the 5n for now - at least until the A7(r) is broken in and Sony has had a chance to introduce whatever is next for (what used to be called) NEX cameras. It is entirely possible that a significantly better NEX-like camera will come out that takes full advantage of current E-mount lenses.

Riquez
Contributing MemberPosts: 525Gear list
Like?

Like you I have been using a C3 for several years & had been thinking about upgrading the body for some time. My C3 had become somewhat worn, peeling paint, damaged screen & was lacking some key features that I found myself wanting more (EVF, better video, improved controls)

I held out for news of a new nex7 & when the A7 was announced I had waited long enough & bought a nex6.

Now, its up to you, but you could buy a current 6 or 7 now, or wait till february & see what the Sony event holds (people are expecting some new nex like models perhaps)

or you could simply keep using your 5n for another 6-8 months & see how things have developed by then.

Riquez's gear list:Riquez's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,348Gear list
Like?

Joachim Wulfers wrote:

Here are a few shots from today with the Sigma 30/2.8 (third picture) and SEL 18200

Joachim

I was impressed with the Fuji X-Pro1 performance in this comparo: link

If you use 3rd party lenses, and shoot high ISO, the X-E2 could be something to consider. DPreview rated the XE-1 between the Nex-6 and Nex-7, but scored it highest on JPG output (Nex-7 wins on RAW, Nex-6 on focusing) link

I think that soul searching based on the current hype is premature - if you are not in a hurry, just await some actual user reports and complete reviews. It will be much easier to form an opinion and justify any decision.

Biggest gain with your current lenses would be FF FOV. But you can get that on legacy SLR lenses with a focal reducer as well (Metabones or Lens Turbo). With a focal reducer and legacy SLR lenses a Nex-7 would be your best bet (highest Mp count and DR).

As to other gains - ask yourself this: do you often feel that an extra stop would make a big difference in your shots? If so, get the A7, if not, stick to APS-C.

The Nex-5N is still very current in terms of IQ, and there is no major improvements to be had from switching to a Nex-6, Nex-7, X-Pro1 or X-E2, imho. In fact, the A3000's 20Mp sensor may very well be the newest sensor to date.

Why not wait for more announcements in the spring? Sony will get its APS-C act together sooner or later, I assume, and you may see new APS-C sensors in 2014...

And who knows - you may be able to find slightly used A7/r cameras at a discount by then...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +27 more
rsf3127
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
Re: Same problem, different thoughts
In reply to Mike Fewster, 5 months ago

I have a NEX-5N that I bought after many years using SLRs.

So far, my photographic skills have not been limited by the little NEX by a great margin. The only gripe I had with it - photographing in bright sun  -  was solved once I bought a foldable plastic hood for its LCD.

Indeed, I have been doing a lot more photography and learning since I bought it, maybe because it is always with me.

Even birding can be done easily with it, the LE-EA2 and a tripod. The results are outstanding.

-- hide signature --

Gabriel

rsf3127's gear list:rsf3127's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A35 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +6 more
RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,155Gear list
Like?

The solution is simple.  Does your camera meet your needs?  If you are happy with the results then who cares what else is out there.

If you are getting a poor ratio of good shots vs. OOF shots then consider something else.

I purchased a GF2 because I wanted a smaller camera.  What I did not expect was the very high number of OOF shots.  So I went back to using my DSLR, and I am considering a nex with PDAF but am in no hurry.

There is always something new out there.   The question to ask is will it improve my photo experience in a quantifiable way?

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 3,834
Like?

My big question is what difference in your photos will the A7 do for you.

If you can justify that then go for it.  However seeing the few pictures you posted,  you are doing pretty good.

I am in a smilar boat.  I have the F3 and love it,  but greatly enticed by the 6.  Do I need it,  no.  Do I want it,  yes.  Will I pay full price,  no.  Will I find it on EBay for the price I can justify,  hopefully.  Am I expecting a vast improvement in my photos,  no.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug, proud NEX-F3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads