Anyone seen ISON yet?

Started 9 months ago | Questions
Chris_Downunder
Contributing MemberPosts: 611Gear list
Like?
Anyone seen ISON yet?
9 months ago

Down here in the southern hemisphere I have been trying to image comet ISON over the past few nights without success using my NEX5N and an Olympus 50mm f1.4. I am using an iPad app (SkySafari Plus) to locate the comet which places it below and to the right of Mars in the early morning sky a little above the horizon. When enlarging and enhancing the resultant images I can see stars of 11th magnitude and lower but no sign of the comet.

Am I in the right place? has anyone had any success in imaging ISON? Some help would be very much appreciated.

All the best,

Chris

Chris_Downunder's gear list:Chris_Downunder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +9 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rjgjr
Regular MemberPosts: 336Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone seen ISON yet?
In reply to Chris_Downunder, 9 months ago

In the light pollution of Southern California, I got a binocular glimpse of ISON the other morning. Have been wanting to try and image with my 50 1.8 but have had cloudy mornings since. In my neck of the woods, ISON is about 8-10 degrees to the lower left of Mars. I have an iOptron Tracker I'm going to use when I get the chance. Will post any image when I get one.

Richard

rjgjr's gear list:rjgjr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
HB1969
Regular MemberPosts: 317Gear list
Like?
this link might help...

http://astroblogger.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/comet-c2012-s1-ison-brightens1-8.html

I've been following Ian Musgraves blog (South Australian) for a few months now, in particular  when he blogs about Comet ISON. I really hate how he says "embiggen" instead of "enlarge" but the blogs are an interesting read.

I'm also looking forward to this comet getting brighter though I don't fancy my chances seeing it easily from my location.

Here is a CalSky image for Sydney location.

note that the imaged "tail" is exagerated 5x. This is for astronomical twighlight (about 1.5 hr before sunrise)

It's very low on the horizon as you can see.

You can find visibility graphs for different times and locations from this site:

http://www.calsky.com/cs.cgi/Comets/4?

Looks like we are in for a few early mornings for the next few weeks

HB1969's gear list:HB1969's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
RustierOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,640Gear list
Like?

Chris_Downunder wrote:

Down here in the southern hemisphere I have been trying to image comet ISON over the past few nights without success using my NEX5N and an Olympus 50mm f1.4. I am using an iPad app (SkySafari Plus) to locate the comet which places it below and to the right of Mars in the early morning sky a little above the horizon. When enlarging and enhancing the resultant images I can see stars of 11th magnitude and lower but no sign of the comet.

Am I in the right place? has anyone had any success in imaging ISON? Some help would be very much appreciated.

Chris, can you post an image with the specifics as to lens focal length and Camera (NEX5N)? That way I can try matching the image to SkySafari.

In SkySafari, have you tried enabling the rectangle displaying camera field of view? I've found that setting to be useful in matching images to what is shown in SkySafari. If you have not yet enabled the camera field of view display, it's found in Settings > Telescope > Display > Camera Field Width X Height. Just fill in the degrees for width and height of your image. Then you can utilize the "Field Rotation Angle" slider to match what your image shows

In case you (or any other forum members) haven't calculated these figures for field of view, you need to get the linear dimensions of your camera sensor in millimeters. The DPReview website has these dimensions in their camera reviews. You will also need lens focal length. Then to calculate the angular field of view (either width or height) just use the following formula:

Angular field of view = (sensor dimension ÷ focal length) X 57.3°

The conversion factor (57.3°) comes from 360° ÷ (2  Pi).

So for an APS-C sensor (23.4mm by 15.6mm) with a 35mm lens, you get:

Angular field of view = (23.4mm ÷ 35mm) X 57.3° = .67 X 57.3° = 38.3° and

Angular field of view = (15.6mm ÷ 35mm) X 57.3° = .45 X 57.3° = 25.5°

So the camera field of view with a 35mm lens is 38.3° X 25.5°, which can be entered in SkySafari.

My apologies to you, Chris if you know all of this! No offense was intended. I just want any who might have SkySafari to know how to enable an accurate display of camera field of view.

Your post has given all of us a wake-up call to utilize all opportunities to try imaging Comet ISON. It will be upon us soon, come what may. Weather will one of the big unknowns.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Russ

RustierOne's gear list:RustierOne's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +3 more
Carsten Pauer 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,075
Like?

Anyone seen ISON yet?

Yepp, my last Photo from Comet C/2012 S1 ISON in Germany was last Week.

Tamron SP 180mm F/2.5 x2 + SkyTracker/iOptron, 24 Photos stacked + bad Weather.

The last Days here in Germany are to much Clouds + some Rain.
So i will make some new Photos if possible with a Astrotrac instead of the (not recommend) SkyTracker.

Regards: Carsten

Chris_Downunder
Like?
In reply to Carsten Pauer 2, 9 months ago

Thanks Carsten, it's good to see someone's capturing it. I tried again this morning (3:30am - I must be mad).

Using Sky Safari and other online maps I have determined that I'm in the right place but I need better sky conditions (cloud on the horizon this morning), higher magnification (I'm using an Olympus 50mm f1.4), and image stacking. My current exposures are around 5 - 10 seconds at ISOs of 400 - 1600 which, at around 4am, are rendering the sky quite brightly so longer exposures aren't going to work.

I've never tried focus stacking before but I may have to start looking into it. However the weather is going to be poor for the next week and getting up at 3am is not my idea of fun. It's a shame ISON isn't going to be as bright as they predicted.

All the best,

Chris

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +9 more
Chris_Downunder
Like?
In reply to RustierOne, 9 months ago

Thanks for that info Russ, it's much appreciated. I am using Sky Safari Plus now and noticed the telescope option. I'll have to set it up. I took some shots this morning but cloud was causing issues. I still managed to get some reasonable shots and have determined that I am pointing in the right direction. I can see where ISON should be but am not resolving it with the 50mm Olympus I'm using. I may need a longer focal length and/or image stacking but weather is my biggest problem along with the approach of daylight. At the ISOs I've been using (400-1600) the sky is rendering quite bright even at 4am so longer exposures won't help.

I'll keep trying although the 3 am starts are killing me.

All the best,

Chris

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads