A7/A7r wireless flash.

Started Nov 4, 2013 | Discussions
PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,215
Like?
A7/A7r wireless flash.
Nov 4, 2013

I now have the A7/A7r on my shortlist for a "light travel" plan: A camera, 2 or 3 lenses and a small flash to take along on trips where my Canon 1DMKIV and larger EF lenses might be both unpractical and unsafe.

The current EOS-M is the obvious other contender, together with its next incarnation, the M2, whenever it may pop-up.

My current EF lenses can work both in the EOS-M and Sony approaches, via dedicated adapters, both of which (Canon's and Metabones) support AF and IS.

However, Canon's current EOS-M offer has 2 severe drawbacks, as far as my needs go: No wired remote control capability and (I just learned) not currently being supported by PocketWizard's ControlTL system (I have several Control TL units and Speedlites).

I see the A7/A7r feature the wired-remote functionality.

I also see, under "Flash Modes" in the Sony cameras specifications a "wireless" mode listed.

Since those cameras do not feature an in-built flash, this can't be referring to "optical wireless", right?

If not, what are the Sony flashes (if any) that can work under "radio wireless"?

Thank you for any input.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
************************************************************
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

Canon EOS-1D Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TiagoReil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,514Gear list
Like?
Re: A7/A7r wireless flash.
In reply to PhotoKhan, Nov 4, 2013

PhotoKhan wrote:

I now have the A7/A7r on my shortlist for a "light travel" plan: A camera, 2 or 3 lenses and a small flash to take along on trips where my Canon 1DMKIV and larger EF lenses might be both unpractical and unsafe.

The current EOS-M is the obvious other contender, together with its next incarnation, the M2, whenever it may pop-up.

My current EF lenses can work both in the EOS-M and Sony approaches, via dedicated adapters, both of which (Canon's and Metabones) support AF and IS.

However, Canon's current EOS-M offer has 2 severe drawbacks, as far as my needs go: No wired remote control capability and (I just learned) not currently being supported by PocketWizard's ControlTL system (I have several Control TL units and Speedlites).

I see the A7/A7r feature the wired-remote functionality.

I also see, under "Flash Modes" in the Sony cameras specifications a "wireless" mode listed.

Since those cameras do not feature an in-built flash, this can't be referring to "optical wireless", right?

If not, what are the Sony flashes (if any) that can work under "radio wireless"?

Thank you for any input.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
************************************************************
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

For the A7(r) you have the same options as all the latest sony cameras (a99, nex-6, RX1, etc) and that is:

1-For TTL: get the sony hvl-20m as trigger and any other sony flash as receiver. It is obviously optical wireless. Not radio.

2-For non TTL: For studio strobes, and generic flashes, in manual obviously, (almost) any radio trigger for ISO flash will work. For instance any of the cheap yongnuo triggers (I have many of these). I go for many cheap. I have 3 tramsitters and 6 receivers. That costed me less than just one pocket wizzard. IF any of them fails, I have a lot of replacements.

There was information of an ODIN radio trigger for the new sony flash. I saw it some moths ago, but have not read anything in these days. Maybe the new A7(r) will make more manufacturers consider sony for their triggers. Here is a review of the old one, that points to the possibility of a new one:

http://www.frankdoorhof.com/site/2013/01/review-phottix-odin-for-sony/

Another from Frank using the A7r with the odin triggers:

http://www.frankdoorhof.com/site/2013/11/sony-a7r-review-part-ii-small-flash-and-more/

and here about the problems we now face with the transition from Minolta shoe to sony shoe:

http://www.lightingrumours.com/phottix-odin-for-sony-arrives-just-in-time-to-be-obsolete-2817

This would be very cool, cause you could have the tramsitter for the old or new shoe, and have receivers for the old and new shoe, so you could mix flashes (old minolta, and new sony) without a problem. I hope they release it soon. I really want this one. Still this solution is not cheap at all also.

I wont lie to you. If you dont like using a flash as trigger, right now, for TTL the sony is a bet. IT is workable (with adapter) but how good it will be in the future is not known.

 TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
robert614
Senior MemberPosts: 1,217
Like?
Re: A7/A7r wireless flash.
In reply to PhotoKhan, Nov 4, 2013

PhotoKhan wrote:

I now have the A7/A7r on my shortlist for a "light travel" plan: A camera, 2 or 3 lenses and a small flash to take along on trips where my Canon 1DMKIV and larger EF lenses might be both unpractical and unsafe.

The current EOS-M is the obvious other contender, together with its next incarnation, the M2, whenever it may pop-up.

My current EF lenses can work both in the EOS-M and Sony approaches, via dedicated adapters, both of which (Canon's and Metabones) support AF and IS.

However, Canon's current EOS-M offer has 2 severe drawbacks, as far as my needs go: No wired remote control capability and (I just learned) not currently being supported by PocketWizard's ControlTL system (I have several Control TL units and Speedlites).

I see the A7/A7r feature the wired-remote functionality.

I also see, under "Flash Modes" in the Sony cameras specifications a "wireless" mode listed.

Since those cameras do not feature an in-built flash, this can't be referring to "optical wireless", right?

If not, what are the Sony flashes (if any) that can work under "radio wireless"?

Thank you for any input.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
************************************************************
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately,"wireless" just stands for optically triggered wireless using a Sony flash mounted on top.

Sony doesn't offer any radio wireless flashes at this time.

I also contacted Pocketwizard ealier in the year and asked about them possibly producing a Sony version of their ControlTL triggers.They said they have received similar requests from others and are considering it,but I don't know if that will ever come to fruition.

Pocketwizard plus III's work fine on Sony cams though,Except you're relegated to manual control only.

There are a couple of TTL wireless triggers for Sony made by 3rd party manufacturers.They are made by Pixel King and Phottix.There might be others,but I 'm not aware of them.Only problem is that they are designed for the old Minolta hotshoe,and require you to add an adapter to make it fit onto the new hotshoe design.

I don't know how important all of this is to you if you're planning to use the A7/7r mostly as a travel camera,but I hope this info helps you in your decision.

Regards,

Robert

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,215
Like?
Re: A7/A7r wireless flash.
In reply to TiagoReil, Nov 4, 2013

TiagoReil wrote:

For the A7(r) you have the same options as all the latest sony cameras (a99, nex-6, RX1, etc) and that is:

1-For TTL: get the sony hvl-20m as trigger and any other sony flash as receiver. It is obviously optical wireless. Not radio.

2-For non TTL: For studio strobes, and generic flashes, in manual obviously, (almost) any radio trigger for ISO flash will work. For instance any of the cheap yongnuo triggers (I have many of these). I go for many cheap. I have 3 tramsitters and 6 receivers. That costed me less than just one pocket wizzard. IF any of them fails, I have a lot of replacements.

There was information of an ODIN radio trigger for the new sony flash. I saw it some moths ago, but have not read anything in these days. Maybe the new A7(r) will make more manufacturers consider sony for their triggers. Here is a review of the old one, that points to the possibility of a new one:

http://www.frankdoorhof.com/site/2013/01/review-phottix-odin-for-sony/

Another from Frank using the A7r with the odin triggers:

http://www.frankdoorhof.com/site/2013/11/sony-a7r-review-part-ii-small-flash-and-more/

and here about the problems we now face with the transition from Minolta shoe to sony shoe:

http://www.lightingrumours.com/phottix-odin-for-sony-arrives-just-in-time-to-be-obsolete-2817

This would be very cool, cause you could have the tramsitter for the old or new shoe, and have receivers for the old and new shoe, so you could mix flashes (old minolta, and new sony) without a problem. I hope they release it soon. I really want this one. Still this solution is not cheap at all also.

I wont lie to you. If you dont like using a flash as trigger, right now, for TTL the sony is a bet. IT is workable (with adapter) but how good it will be in the future is not known.

Tiago,

Thank you so much for the in-depth reply. Much, much appreciated

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
************************************************************
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TiagoReil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,514Gear list
Like?
Re: A7/A7r wireless flash.
In reply to robert614, Nov 4, 2013

robert614 wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

I now have the A7/A7r on my shortlist for a "light travel" plan: A camera, 2 or 3 lenses and a small flash to take along on trips where my Canon 1DMKIV and larger EF lenses might be both unpractical and unsafe.

The current EOS-M is the obvious other contender, together with its next incarnation, the M2, whenever it may pop-up.

My current EF lenses can work both in the EOS-M and Sony approaches, via dedicated adapters, both of which (Canon's and Metabones) support AF and IS.

However, Canon's current EOS-M offer has 2 severe drawbacks, as far as my needs go: No wired remote control capability and (I just learned) not currently being supported by PocketWizard's ControlTL system (I have several Control TL units and Speedlites).

I see the A7/A7r feature the wired-remote functionality.

I also see, under "Flash Modes" in the Sony cameras specifications a "wireless" mode listed.

Since those cameras do not feature an in-built flash, this can't be referring to "optical wireless", right?

If not, what are the Sony flashes (if any) that can work under "radio wireless"?

Thank you for any input.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
************************************************************
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately,"wireless" just stands for optically triggered wireless using a Sony flash mounted on top.

Sony doesn't offer any radio wireless flashes at this time.

Yes, that's exactly what I said in my post. Actually, not many camera manufacturers offer radio wireless triggers. Generally are third parties that offer them. There are exceptions.

I also contacted Pocketwizard ealier in the year and asked about them possibly producing a Sony version of their ControlTL triggers.They said they have received similar requests from others and are considering it,but I don't know if that will ever come to fruition.

Pocketwizard plus III's work fine on Sony cams though,Except you're relegated to manual control only.

I also pointed that out. any ISO trigger will work in manual mode.

There are a couple of TTL wireless triggers for Sony made by 3rd party manufacturers.They are made by Pixel King and Phottix.There might be others,but I 'm not aware of them.Only problem is that they are designed for the old Minolta hotshoe,and require you to add an adapter to make it fit onto the new hotshoe design.

Also, what said in my post, and with examples of people using it that way (The PHOTIX ODIN TRIGGERS). The pixel king is different actually. It is actually transforming the light patterns to radio, and then to light patterns again.

I don't know how important all of this is to you if you're planning to use the A7/7r mostly as a travel camera,but I hope this info helps you in your decision.

Regards,

Robert

And I never said it was easy, or completely there yet.

 TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: A7/A7r wireless flash.
In reply to PhotoKhan, Nov 4, 2013

Why would you need a wired remote control? A7/r feature NFC for wireless remote control through a smart phone. Moreover, I am sure there will be wireless remote controllers available for the cameras. Another option that I use is a $5 IR emitter plugged into the headphone jack on my Android phone together with an appropriate application has turned my phone into a remote control.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,215
Like?
Re: A7/A7r wireless flash.
In reply to robert614, Nov 4, 2013

Thank you for your input, Robert

robert614 wrote:

I don't know how important all of this is to you if you're planning to use the A7/7r mostly as a travel camera,but I hope this info helps you in your decision.

It is critical having a radio controlled (small) flash for travelling. It can be extrmely useful.

Ali Ben Youssef Madrasa, Marrakech:

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
************************************************************
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,215
Like?
Re: A7/A7r wireless flash.
In reply to raminolta, Nov 4, 2013

raminolta wrote:

Why would you need a wired remote control?

Why, indeed...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/triggertrap/triggertrap-redsnap-modular-camera-trigger

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
************************************************************
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
robert614
Senior MemberPosts: 1,217
Like?
Re: A7/A7r wireless flash.
In reply to TiagoReil, Nov 4, 2013

TiagoReil wrote:

robert614 wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

I now have the A7/A7r on my shortlist for a "light travel" plan: A camera, 2 or 3 lenses and a small flash to take along on trips where my Canon 1DMKIV and larger EF lenses might be both unpractical and unsafe.

The current EOS-M is the obvious other contender, together with its next incarnation, the M2, whenever it may pop-up.

My current EF lenses can work both in the EOS-M and Sony approaches, via dedicated adapters, both of which (Canon's and Metabones) support AF and IS.

However, Canon's current EOS-M offer has 2 severe drawbacks, as far as my needs go: No wired remote control capability and (I just learned) not currently being supported by PocketWizard's ControlTL system (I have several Control TL units and Speedlites).

I see the A7/A7r feature the wired-remote functionality.

I also see, under "Flash Modes" in the Sony cameras specifications a "wireless" mode listed.

Since those cameras do not feature an in-built flash, this can't be referring to "optical wireless", right?

If not, what are the Sony flashes (if any) that can work under "radio wireless"?

Thank you for any input.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
************************************************************
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately,"wireless" just stands for optically triggered wireless using a Sony flash mounted on top.

Sony doesn't offer any radio wireless flashes at this time.

Yes, that's exactly what I said in my post. Actually, not many camera manufacturers offer radio wireless triggers. Generally are third parties that offer them. There are exceptions.

I also contacted Pocketwizard ealier in the year and asked about them possibly producing a Sony version of their ControlTL triggers.They said they have received similar requests from others and are considering it,but I don't know if that will ever come to fruition.

Pocketwizard plus III's work fine on Sony cams though,Except you're relegated to manual control only.

I also pointed that out. any ISO trigger will work in manual mode.

There are a couple of TTL wireless triggers for Sony made by 3rd party manufacturers.They are made by Pixel King and Phottix.There might be others,but I 'm not aware of them.Only problem is that they are designed for the old Minolta hotshoe,and require you to add an adapter to make it fit onto the new hotshoe design.

Also, what said in my post, and with examples of people using it that way (The PHOTIX ODIN TRIGGERS). The pixel king is different actually. It is actually transforming the light patterns to radio, and then to light patterns again.

I don't know how important all of this is to you if you're planning to use the A7/7r mostly as a travel camera,but I hope this info helps you in your decision.

Regards,

Robert

And I never said it was easy, or completely there yet.

I'm not sure if you're upset,but I wasn't trying to correct or contradict you.You and I seemed to be replying to the OP at the same time.Your post wasn't even up yet when I wrote my reply to the OP.Yet you seem to be angry I wrote a lot of the same information.Though your response was probably more helpful than mine was.

I was just trying to help the OP,just as you were.I don't come to this forum to argue with others.

Robert

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TiagoReil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,514Gear list
Like?
Re: A7/A7r wireless flash.
In reply to robert614, Nov 4, 2013

robert614 wrote:

TiagoReil wrote:

robert614 wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

I now have the A7/A7r on my shortlist for a "light travel" plan: A camera, 2 or 3 lenses and a small flash to take along on trips where my Canon 1DMKIV and larger EF lenses might be both unpractical and unsafe.

The current EOS-M is the obvious other contender, together with its next incarnation, the M2, whenever it may pop-up.

My current EF lenses can work both in the EOS-M and Sony approaches, via dedicated adapters, both of which (Canon's and Metabones) support AF and IS.

However, Canon's current EOS-M offer has 2 severe drawbacks, as far as my needs go: No wired remote control capability and (I just learned) not currently being supported by PocketWizard's ControlTL system (I have several Control TL units and Speedlites).

I see the A7/A7r feature the wired-remote functionality.

I also see, under "Flash Modes" in the Sony cameras specifications a "wireless" mode listed.

Since those cameras do not feature an in-built flash, this can't be referring to "optical wireless", right?

If not, what are the Sony flashes (if any) that can work under "radio wireless"?

Thank you for any input.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
************************************************************
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately,"wireless" just stands for optically triggered wireless using a Sony flash mounted on top.

Sony doesn't offer any radio wireless flashes at this time.

Yes, that's exactly what I said in my post. Actually, not many camera manufacturers offer radio wireless triggers. Generally are third parties that offer them. There are exceptions.

I also contacted Pocketwizard ealier in the year and asked about them possibly producing a Sony version of their ControlTL triggers.They said they have received similar requests from others and are considering it,but I don't know if that will ever come to fruition.

Pocketwizard plus III's work fine on Sony cams though,Except you're relegated to manual control only.

I also pointed that out. any ISO trigger will work in manual mode.

There are a couple of TTL wireless triggers for Sony made by 3rd party manufacturers.They are made by Pixel King and Phottix.There might be others,but I 'm not aware of them.Only problem is that they are designed for the old Minolta hotshoe,and require you to add an adapter to make it fit onto the new hotshoe design.

Also, what said in my post, and with examples of people using it that way (The PHOTIX ODIN TRIGGERS). The pixel king is different actually. It is actually transforming the light patterns to radio, and then to light patterns again.

I don't know how important all of this is to you if you're planning to use the A7/7r mostly as a travel camera,but I hope this info helps you in your decision.

Regards,

Robert

And I never said it was easy, or completely there yet.

I'm not sure if you're upset,but I wasn't trying to correct or contradict you.You and I seemed to be replying to the OP at the same time.Your post wasn't even up yet when I wrote my reply to the OP.Yet you seem to be angry I wrote a lot of the same information.Though your response was probably more helpful than mine was.

I was just trying to help the OP,just as you were.I don't come to this forum to argue with others.

Robert

Sorry Robert, not upset at all. I thought your comment was to correct something, but it seemed you were just agreeing with me. You know how internet is, we dont hear each other to understand the tone.

ti@go.

 TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wilky
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Re: A7/A7r wireless flash with Yongnuo YN-622N
In reply to TiagoReil, 3 months ago

I know this is an old topic but I'm new to the A7R. Sorry!

Would you expect a pair of Yongnuo YN-622Ns (which were used on a now defunct Nikon setup) to trigger an Olympus FL-600R?

On its own, in the A7R's hot shoe, the Olympus flash fires in Manual mode but, remotely, with the Yongnuos, it doesn't trigger for me. This combo works OK with my E-M1 though.

The YN-622N foot doesn't seem to fit all the way into the A7R's hot shoe.

If they are not compatible with Sony, could you recommend another unit please?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,816Gear list
Like?
Re: A7/A7r wireless flash with Yongnuo YN-622N
In reply to Wilky, 3 months ago

Wilky wrote:

could you recommend another unit please?

Sony optical-wiress-TTL-compatible flashes (note that hotshoes might be different) are made by Sony itself, Metz, Nissin, probably cheap one by iCorp/Tumax, Phottix... to name a few... above mentioned websites will give you an idea about setups where you can use simple remote radio triggering (in some case with remote power control)... and there is always possible to use a simple optical slave to trigger remote flash, albeit you don't want others to use flashes along w/ you

 exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Abrak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,478
Like?
Re: A7/A7r wireless flash with Yongnuo YN-622N
In reply to exdeejjjaaaa, 3 months ago

In my opinion a very good option for wireless flash for the A7/A7r is

1) YN560iii Yongnuo flashes. These are very cheap (US$80 a go) well built and most importantly include a built in receiver. They are entirely manual though.

2) YN-560-TX Yongnuo transmitter. This is cheap (US$50) and well built. It lets you control power and zoom of each 560iii (up to 6) directly from the unit. In fact the only button you have to touch on the flashes is the on off button.

This is an incredibly user-friendly set up for off camera flash.

Of course people might be reluctant to buy new flashes but if you consider that 3 x 560iii flashes and one transmitter is a total of US$300, it is hardly a great expense.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
swee
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: A7/A7r wireless flash.
In reply to TiagoReil, 2 months ago

For the A7(r) you have the same options as all the latest sony cameras (a99, nex-6, RX1, etc) and that is:

1-For TTL: get the sony hvl-20m as trigger and any other sony flash as receiver. It is obviously optical wireless. Not radio.

2-For non TTL: For studio strobes, and generic flashes, in manual obviously, (almost) any radio trigger for ISO flash will work. For instance any of the cheap yongnuo triggers (I have many of these). I go for many cheap. I have 3 tramsitters and 6 receivers. That costed me less than just one pocket wizzard. IF any of them fails, I have a lot of replacements.

Hi TiagoReil, I read with great interest on your response regarding the Youngnuo flash and remote triggers for the SonyA7r

I am interested in getting them for interior photography and wondering if you would king enough to share with me the models of the flash and remote triggers and how you set the camera to receive the signals. Do you need a adapter for the hotshoe to accept the 3rd party flash?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zwinters
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
Re: A7/A7r wireless flash with Yongnuo YN-622N
In reply to Abrak, 1 month ago

Abrak wrote:

In my opinion a very good option for wireless flash for the A7/A7r is

1) YN560iii Yongnuo flashes. These are very cheap (US$80 a go) well built and most importantly include a built in receiver. They are entirely manual though.

2) YN-560-TX Yongnuo transmitter. This is cheap (US$50) and well built. It lets you control power and zoom of each 560iii (up to 6) directly from the unit. In fact the only button you have to touch on the flashes is the on off button.

This is an incredibly user-friendly set up for off camera flash.

Of course people might be reluctant to buy new flashes but if you consider that 3 x 560iii flashes and one transmitter is a total of US$300, it is hardly a great expense.

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on this set up! (YN560iii flash and YN-560-TX transmitter).

Can you (or anyone) verify that this setup works on the Sony a7? Or do I need adapters?

THANKS!!

 zwinters's gear list:zwinters's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 Aspherical Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
xtracrispy
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Re: A7/A7r wireless flash with Yongnuo YN-622N
In reply to zwinters, 1 month ago

this yongnuo 560iii and 560tx setup works well for my sony a7 and does not need additional hotshoe adapters. like abrak said, you must control the flashes manually (no ttl) and also there's no high speed sync (fastest syncable shutter speed is around 1/250th) . but even without those features, that price is hard to beat, especially for a system where the receivers are built into the hot flashes and you can remotely control all the flashes through the 560tx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zwinters
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
Re: A7/A7r wireless flash with Yongnuo YN-622N
In reply to xtracrispy, 1 month ago

Thanks! It's on its way... I'll comment with impressions once I start using it.

 zwinters's gear list:zwinters's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 Aspherical Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Abrak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,478
Like?
Re: A7/A7r wireless flash with Yongnuo YN-622N
In reply to zwinters, 1 month ago

As far as I know the only TTL and HSS radio based off camera flash solution for Sony is the Phottix Mitros+. They have a built in receiver like the Yongnuos and you can use together with an Odin transmitter. I would really like to have one TTL and HSS off camera flash. They are not cheap though and I havent seen any reviews on how well they work and how reliable their TTL is. So if anyone has tried one particularly with an A7, a few words on their experience would be helpful.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads