Need to upgrade my 50D

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
YonathanZ
Regular MemberPosts: 319Gear list
Like?
Need to upgrade my 50D
11 months ago

Hi,

I haven't had my 50D for too long (just a few months), and while I do like almost everything about it, I don't like the ISO performance at all, and I love shooting action and find myself needing to shoot at ISO 2000 and above and the results are unacceptable noise-wise.

I wonder if there's a crop Canon body (since I can't afford an FF one) that has significantly better performance in this area, that is NOT a Canon 70D (too expensive).

Thanks.

YonathanZ's gear list:YonathanZ's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +2 more
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Canoman21
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?
Re: Need to upgrade my 50D
In reply to YonathanZ, 11 months ago

YonathanZ wrote:

Hi,

I haven't had my 50D for too long (just a few months), and while I do like almost everything about it, I don't like the ISO performance at all, and I love shooting action and find myself needing to shoot at ISO 2000 and above and the results are unacceptable noise-wise.

I wonder if there's a crop Canon body (since I can't afford an FF one) that has significantly better performance in this area, that is NOT a Canon 70D (too expensive).

Thanks.

Try a better lens!

The 50D is not that bad noise wise.

What lenses are you shooting with?

Plus ...Are you shooting in RAW or Jpeg?

Canoman21's gear list:Canoman21's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
YonathanZ
Like?
In reply to Canoman21, 11 months ago

Shooting RAW with two 2.8 lenses, one macro and one 17-50. Both Sigma.

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,105Gear list
Like?

YonathanZ wrote:

Hi,

Thanks.

I find it amusing that this thread was directly above one titled 'Canon 50D still rocks!'.  LOL!

Anyway, I don't find it bad at all even when compared to my 7D.  Are your shots underexposed?

YonathanZ
Like?
In reply to Mark B., 11 months ago

I tend to make sure they're exposed right (adding compensation for white background, etc...), but even in my "studio" (room), at iso 400 or more, they have terrible amounts of colour noise and some luma noise, especially when I shoot jewellery and such.

In my room I could just add more light to be able to shoot at iso 100, but outside I find myself constantly shooting iso 800 and above, and it's pretty noticeable there.

Ed P
Contributing MemberPosts: 531
Like?

Short answer: no

I'm looking to upgrade my T1i (similar sensor/age as your 50D), and based on my research (several different sites' reviews and test results/images), the lower-noise-at-higher-ISO improvement you're looking for doesn't occur unless/until you go to the 6D.  I was considering the 70D, but it's really not that much better (than my T1i, your 50D, or a 60D), so why bother?

Of course there are many other reasons to buy the 70D (it *is* a great camera), but it sounds like you're looking for the same thing as me -- which means we have to save up a little longer.

R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,651Gear list
Like?

YonathanZ wrote:

Hi,

Thanks.

I find that a good noise reduction workflow will help tremendously (I like Noise Ninja classic).

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
SHUTTER777
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ed P, 11 months ago

My 60d blows away the T1i I use to have at noise, WB and focusing etc.

SHUTTER777's gear list:SHUTTER777's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +6 more
Ed P
Contributing MemberPosts: 531
Like?
In reply to SHUTTER777, 11 months ago

SHUTTER777 wrote:

My 60d blows away the T1i I use to have at noise, WB and focusing etc.

And yet the delta between the 60D/70D and the 6D is even greater, by quite a margin. Go here and do side-by-sides at 6400-and-higher ISOs:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

I'd love to replace my T1i for the $1100 70D, but I find it hard to justify when the 6D will be $1500 soon enough for me to wait a bit.

Of course, since the 6D is creeping UP in price lately, and the 70D is creeping DOWN... I might change my mind...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads