Fuji Lenses Weather Sealing

Started Nov 4, 2013 | Discussions
zenpmd
Contributing MemberPosts: 946Gear list
Like?
Fuji Lenses Weather Sealing
Nov 4, 2013

At the cost of some of the lenses being released, it is ridiculous - is it not - that they are not weather sealed? To me, its a form of insurance.

zenpmd's gear list:zenpmd's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7S Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
George Paulides
Contributing MemberPosts: 932
Like?
Re: Fuji Lenses Weather Sealing
In reply to zenpmd, Nov 4, 2013

Why? How many Leica or Carl Zeiss lens or in fact lens from most manufacturers do you see that are weathershield?

Besides there are no weathershield bodies as yet from Fuji. They will most probably release a weather sealed body in the future (if you believe the rumours) and a possibly a selected number of WS lens. That is the best you can hope. Do not expect the entire range to be WS.

Why impose an extra cost on all user to benefit a few.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
In reply to George Paulides, Nov 4, 2013

George Paulides wrote:

Why? How many Leica or Carl Zeiss lens or in fact lens from most manufacturers do you see that are weathershield?

Besides there are no weathershield bodies as yet from Fuji. They will most probably release a weather sealed body in the future (if you believe the rumours) and a possibly a selected number of WS lens. That is the best you can hope. Do not expect the entire range to be WS.

+1.  Pentax has a beautiful line of weather sealed *Limited primes.  The new Olympus 12-40 is weathersealed and looks excellent.  If weathersealing is a source of anxiety for you, Fuji probably isn't your best choice.

airat
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, Nov 4, 2013

Pentax has not very much weather sealed lenses indeed, the best lenses are 'usual'.

As for me every lens has degree of weather/dust sealing because  internal surfaces stay clean.

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,380Gear list
Like?

I posted a little over a week ago my conversation with Fuji that stated two new fast f/2.8 constant aperture zooms that are weather sealed may be coming - or at least added to the lens roadmap on the next 'map' update. Then a rumor of a new weather sealed body to be announced in early 2014 came out which fits.

So Fuji is listening and a more environmentally sealed combo seems planned for the foreseeable futureĀ 

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
zenpmd
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Nov 4, 2013

Sounds great if so. And some lens its more important than others, I suppose. But its definitely a nice to have for someone intro travel photography.

So much about the Olympus means I really should be buying the camera, but I just cannot get excited about it!

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7S Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,195
Like?

zenpmd wrote:

At the cost of some of the lenses being released, it is ridiculous - is it not - that they are not weather sealed? To me, its a form of insurance.

They will release more expensive weather-sealed versions of the same lenses later so you can buy twice. Smart business!

cdp8
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?

Supposedly, the new X body arriving in January will slot between the X-E2 and the X-Pro1 and it will be weather sealed. If they plan to sell a weather sealed body, then weather sealed lenses must also be on the horizon.

I have an E2 on order. I've only had the E1 since April, and I have always skipped 2-3 generations when replacing electronics. But I pre-ordered an E2 for the PDAF, faster EVF refresh,  vastly improve auto ISO function and improved button arrangement. I'm thinking about cancelling my E2 pre-order and waiting to see what drops in January. But I have four XF lenses that aren't weather sealed, so then I would be looking at replacing glass instead of expanding my collection. I have until about November 14th to decide on the E2 pre-order.

afragisk
Contributing MemberPosts: 801
Like?
In reply to cdp8, Nov 4, 2013

I also have an XE2 on order. I will wait until 1-2 yrs for more WS

lenses to be out b4 I sell..

bavarius6
Regular MemberPosts: 438
Like?

George Paulides wrote:

+1.  Pentax has a beautiful line of weather sealed *Limited primes.  The new Olympus 12-40 is weathersealed and looks excellent.  If weathersealing is a source of anxiety for you, Fuji probably isn't your best choice.

None of the Pentax Limited primes are weather sealed. The DA* zooms and primes are weather sealed but they are modern style chunky lenses unlike the lovely jewel like Limited primes.

Pat

Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
In reply to bavarius6, Nov 4, 2013

bavarius6 wrote:

George Paulides wrote:

+1. Pentax has a beautiful line of weather sealed *Limited primes. The new Olympus 12-40 is weathersealed and looks excellent. If weathersealing is a source of anxiety for you, Fuji probably isn't your best choice.

None of the Pentax Limited primes are weather sealed. The DA* zooms and primes are weather sealed but they are modern style chunky lenses unlike the lovely jewel like Limited primes.

Pat

I stand very corrected!  Thanks for pointing that out.

Jeff Charles
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,208Gear list
Like?

Red5TX wrote:

+1. Pentax has a beautiful line of weather sealed *Limited primes.

The Limited primes are not weather sealed, but Pentax does have a number of weather sealed lenses, but high-end and consumer.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Look it up. It's science." Skinny Pete

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,507Gear list
Like?
In reply to zenpmd, Nov 5, 2013

I've been sitting on the fence for a while and haven't taken the plunge into Fuji yet, much as I really like the XE1/2 and lens range.  The lack of water and dust resistance has been one aspect of Fuji's design that disappoints me.  As premium cameras it should have been designed into the system from the outset.  It's clear from Pentax products that it adds mere grams in weight and limited extra cost -  they've offered sealed DSLRs at prices less expensive than X series cameras.

IMO sealing should be standard - and I think sealing would be an asset to the X system.  I was intrigued to read above that a sealed camera between the XE and XP series is tipped to be offered early in 2014.  I'll look with interest........

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +4 more
zenpmd
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, Nov 15, 2013

Has there ever existed a weather sealed lens on any system which also has apeture control on it? Can anyone see any reason why this would be difficult?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads