New Sony A7R flash compatibility

Started Nov 4, 2013 | Discussions
omhaus1
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
New Sony A7R flash compatibility
Nov 4, 2013

I cannot find any review(s) that had checked the compatibility of this camera with generic flash guns.  I presume the camera would work with Sony flash guns (expensive for casual flash users).

Also no idea if this camera is compatible with wireless flash triggers (Pocket Wizard etc..)

What's your views on these topics?

Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kevinon
Regular MemberPosts: 111Gear list
Like?
Re: New Sony A7R flash compatibility
In reply to omhaus1, Nov 4, 2013

omhaus1 wrote:

I cannot find any review(s) that had checked the compatibility of this camera with generic flash guns. I presume the camera would work with Sony flash guns (expensive for casual flash users).

At the moment there is only one Sony flash that supports the new hot-shoe without the Minolta adapter. The adapter itself should come with the camera. But you can use any Minolta or previous Sony flash guns.

Also no idea if this camera is compatible with wireless flash triggers (Pocket Wizard etc..)

Any remote trigger that supported remote triggering using the minolta hot-shoe will work on the A7's. For example Phottix Odin which I love.

kevinon's gear list:kevinon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jdunn20
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
In reply to omhaus1, Nov 4, 2013

There are 3 MI flashes with TTL.
20m
43m
60m

Any standard hotshoe flash should work without TTL. The same with triggers, no TTL but manual control. From my understanding there are two triggers that support sony TTL with sony flashes, the Odin and the Pixelking, but I'm unsure on the functionality on the a7. If it has the same protocol as the nex6 they should work.

Jdunn20's gear list:Jdunn20's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +9 more
Gato Amarillo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,553
Like?
In reply to Jdunn20, Nov 4, 2013

In addition to the M-series Sony flashes, most newer flashes with the Minolta fitting should work with adapter. The 20AM, 43AM and 60AM should be fine, and probably some of the more recent earlier models as well, but may not support all features. We may have to wait for a complete list to be sure.

Aftermarket flashes (Metz, etc.) should also work with the adapter, but again we may not know for sure for a while.

Non-dedicated flashes and triggers should work just fine, but remember the A7r has a somewhat low sync speed.

The camera manual should be available for download soon and we hope it will answer a lot of questions.

Gato

-- hide signature --

"We paint with our brain, not with our hands" -- Michelangelo
Portrait, figure and fantasy photography at Silver Mirage Gallery:
silvermirage.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads