All this talk about the 12-40mm, I just bought a used 12-50mm for $235

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,082Gear list
Like?
Yes, it's a lens that I've come to both hate and love...
In reply to The Photo Ninja, 5 months ago

Awhile back I started a thread in which I proclaimed that Arrrgggghhhh, this 12-50 is a lens that I both loved and hated - the proverbial "approach/avoidance" conflict.

There are times (with this lens on an E-M5), where I'm cursing out loud because the images were not sharp (grundge alont the edges) at all and I'm ready to smash it against a wall, and then other times I'm shaking my head in disbelief (depending on scene) as to how nice the images look.

Granted, the 12-50 is a very comfortable (and light) lens to shoot with. At times it will surprise and then by the same token, at other times you will be ready to be done with it. I've never experienced this scenario with any other lens that I own.

But I won't get rid of the 2 that I currently have. I purchased the both of them new for only $225 and $250 each respectively (from folks who purchased the E-M5 kit but didn't want the lens). So I figured that I made out. But the emotions that this lens model can install is very unusual.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Canon PowerShot G12 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,004
Like?
Re: All this talk about the 12-40mm, I just bought a used 12-50mm for $235
In reply to tgutgu, 5 months ago

tgutgu wrote:

Well, that lens is certainly not worth than the price you paid for it. Among my zoom lenses in the focal length area it covers, it is by far the worst performer.

That is not my experience with that lens. For me it is one of the best kit lenses ever created in terms of versatility and IQ and it is worth every penny paid for it.  The only drawback is speed. Here is an example of what it does. Look at the full size.

If yours doesn't perform like this, you mat have a bad copy.

That there is so much talk about the 12-40mm and far less (favorable) about the 12-50mm is justified. All this writing about that the 12-50mm is a "decent" lens, is a polite statement saying that it is not really good.

I don't care what other people say, I have my own experience. People who think it is a bad lens either have a bad copy or should learn how to use it. Blaming the tool is always an easy solution.

To me, paying $ 235 for it is money that could and should have saved to buy something else.

Moti

-- hide signature --
FrankParis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,038Gear list
Like?
I've just given up on the 12-50.
In reply to Ben Herrmann, 5 months ago

The 10mm on the tele end just isn't enough to lust for. I have the Olympus 60mm f/2.8 macro, so I don't need the 12-50mm for macro. The 12-50 was just a stop gap measure for me, until something better came along. Well, the 12-40mm is incomparably better, and has the equivalent 12-50 macro capability at all focal lengths. Of course you pay dearly for the amazing 12-40mm IQ and luscious build quality, but I've lived for photography for too many years to spend the waning years of my life without a completely satisfying normal zoom.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

FrankParis's gear list:FrankParis's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +12 more
SaltLakeGuy
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,835Gear list
Like?
Re: I've just given up on the 12-50.
In reply to FrankParis, 5 months ago

I'm with you. I fully enjoyed the 12-50 on the EM5 I recently sold. I served me well. But since I've been shooting with the EM1 paired with the 12-40 they are truly in a different zip code together. I don't care much for compromise either. I'm no spring chicken at this point either

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
Zensu11
Contributing MemberPosts: 689
Like?

FrankParis wrote:

The 10mm on the tele end just isn't enough to lust for.

I'll just use my surprisingly sharp Oly 40-150 M.Zuiko (the first version) for longer reach. I don't use telephoto zooms indoors anyway so the smaller aperture is fine with me.

I have the Olympus 60mm f/2.8 macro, so I don't need the 12-50mm for macro.

Same here, the 60 macro is superb!

The 12-50 was just a stop gap measure for me, until something better came along. Well, the 12-40mm is incomparably better, and has the equivalent 12-50 macro capability at all focal lengths. Of course you pay dearly for the amazing 12-40mm IQ and luscious build quality, but I've lived for photography for too many years to spend the waning years of my life without a completely satisfying normal zoom.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

I agree totally Frank. I've put up with a lot in my life and in my "golden" years feel I deserve some rewards like a super great 12-40 zoom, and who knows I may be lucky enough to upgrade to all the PRO Olympus MFT lenses (40-150 F2.8, etc.) coming in the next few years.

Bobby

Taj123
Junior MemberPosts: 33Gear list
Like?
In reply to SaltLakeGuy, 5 months ago

Have used my Oly 12 -50 for 6 months now as it came with my E-M5 at all focal lengths and for macro and have got some very good photos out of it IMHO. With the weather sealing it makes a good all round lens and I for one am very happy with it and will certainly keep it.

taj123

Taj123's gear list:Taj123's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX20 IS Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot A1400 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +7 more
MatsP
Contributing MemberPosts: 744Gear list
Like?
In reply to Taj123, 5 months ago

Have used my Oly 12 -50 for 6 months now as it came with my E-M5 at all focal lengths and for macro and have got some very good photos out of it IMHO. With the weather sealing it makes a good all round lens and I for one am very happy with it and will certainly keep it.

taj123

It's s good thing that you and others like it. If many does, there will be a market for it when I sell mine....:-)

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
DonSC
Contributing MemberPosts: 824
Like?
Definitely splash proof

Used it at Victoria Falls. As you can see from the shot below, not exactly like taking it into the shower but pretty close! LOL

Held up without any issues. At some point -- we were out there for a long time -- I couldn't see through the E--M5 VF because of condensation. But the lens didn't have any issues.

It's a versatile lens.

Geekapoo
Contributing MemberPosts: 519Gear list
Like?
12-50 = fantastic lens
In reply to Taj123, 5 months ago

Own the Panny 25 and Oly 45, have owned the Panny 14-42 and 14-45....the Oly 12-50 is a FANTASTIC LENS IMHO....maybe I have a good copy, maybe I'm not an anal retentive pixel peeper....but it is a great lens. Do wish it was faster but have no complaints about it's image quality.

Geekapoo

-- hide signature --

Current cameras: OM-D, GF3, G3, RX100, HX200V and ZS3
Lenses: Oly 12-50, 45, 9-18, Panny 25, 45-200 and Rokinin 7.5

Geekapoo's gear list:Geekapoo's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
FrankParis
Like?
Ditto on that.
In reply to MatsP, 5 months ago

MatsP wrote:

taj123

It's s good thing that you and others like it. If many does, there will be a market for it when I sell mine....:-)

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +12 more
FrankParis
Like?
In reply to Zensu11, 5 months ago

Zensu11 wrote:

FrankParis wrote:

The 10mm on the tele end just isn't enough to lust for.

I'll just use my surprisingly sharp Oly 40-150 M.Zuiko (the first version) for longer reach. I don't use telephoto zooms indoors anyway so the smaller aperture is fine with me.

I agree with this entirely. I love the Oly 40-150 and I only paid $99 for it directly from Olympus. That sale lasted only a few days and I was lucky enough to catch it. The steal of the century! I also love the plastic mount, believe it or not. It's the smoothest mouth I've ever experienced. I never break any of my photo equipment so I'm not worried about the plastic mount.

I agree totally Frank. I've put up with a lot in my life and in my "golden" years feel I deserve some rewards like a super great 12-40 zoom, and who knows I may be lucky enough to upgrade to all the PRO Olympus MFT lenses (40-150 F2.8, etc.) coming in the next few years.

I'm afraid I would be putting myself at risk investing in anymore photo equipment, although I have so much redundant M4/3 gear I could sell off enough for something else. I don't know if my aching bones are up to lugging the 40-150mm f/2.8 around, although I've lost a lot of weight lately (better diet!) and it's a lot easier for me to get around now than it was a year ago, so who knows? I'll have to wait until the reports come out. If it measures up to the sharpness of the 12-40, I'll be tempted to get off my duff and sell my redundant gear.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

FrankParis
Like?
Re: Definitely splash proof
In reply to DonSC, 5 months ago

Yes, I had no complaint about its resistance to water. That's one of the reason I bought it. But the 12-40 f/2.8 is nothing if not even better, so I just don't need the 12-50 anymore, especially in conjunction with the Oly 40-150 tiny thing.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

bedhead
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?

I bought on over a year ago, as the only affordable way (for me) to get to 12mm.

I have beaten the lens within an inch of its life.  And it still has life!

Yesterday in Rain/Sleet/Snow.  It still does the job... kinda.    Just as a Trail lens should.

But seriously, I have exposed this lens to inclement weather.  The biggest problem i've had is keeping the water off the lens..

The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,500
Like?
Re: Definitely splash proof
In reply to DonSC, 5 months ago

Was the condensation inside the camera or just on the outside?  Was your camera and EVF oK too?

Roger Bloemers
Contributing MemberPosts: 756Gear list
Like?
In reply to tgutgu, 5 months ago

I have found my 12-50 to be a excellent lens!!   It's as good as any lens I own.   I have over 20 lenes including a couple of Canon L lens.   I don't understand the negative talk about the 12-50.

-- hide signature --

Roger Bloemers

Roger Bloemers's gear list:Roger Bloemers's gear list
Canon EOS 70D
sbszine
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Like?
12-50 has its moments

My copy takes reasonably sharp pictures in the 12-35 range, but at the wide end gets pretty soft. The macro setting, sealing, and Lfn button are all great, and the power zoom is better than manual zoom I think. As a kit lens it's a winner, and $235 sounds like a good price.

sbszine's gear list:sbszine's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,115
Like?

I hope you enjoy using yours. I don't use mine much anymore. I use the 14-150 instead and have the 12mm prime mounted on my second cam.

-- hide signature --

Dave

RealPancho
Contributing MemberPosts: 981Gear list
Like?
Yeah, Ben….
In reply to Ben Herrmann, 5 months ago

….when you consider what this lens does for its price, it's hard not to admire. On the hand, that "jack of all trades" status can't overcome the fact that it's a master of none. I don't use it much, but I can't let go of it.

Grrrrrrrrr indeed!

-- hide signature --

Frank

RealPancho's gear list:RealPancho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +9 more
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,019Gear list
Like?

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Granted, I know the apertures aren't even comparable, but I already have a 17mm f/1.8 that I love. I bought the 12-50m to have a weatherproof system with the E-M1.

Have the 17 and 12-40 on my want list, but I might just keep the 12-50 anyway.  It's smaller than the 12-40 weather sealed unlike the 17 or 45.  And sometimes you just don't want to take your best lens into a hostile environment. (be it a muddy climb or a shady neighborhood)

How weatherproof is the 12-50mm?

Haven't dunked it, but it held up just fine during all day rain in Scotland

BTW, I bought the olympus lens hood for it too.

Wound up using a ring w aperture markings on it from an old lens as a lens hood.  May not give the flare protection of the factory hood, but it's saved the front element a couple times already.

My thoughts on the lens:  Would be nice if it were sharper, or brighter, or smaller, or less expensive (the $500 list is a bit steep I think) But it was the only weather sealed kit lens for the E-M5.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
DonSC
Contributing MemberPosts: 824
Like?
Waiting (impatiently) for the 12-40

Ha ha. Yeah, I hear you. Despite its versatility and nice small footprint, the 12-50 leaves quite a bit to be desired on the IQ front. The 12-40 will be super. I have no doubt about that.

To some extent I think we obsess too much about lens IQ. The 12-50 may not be the greatest lens but it's certainly usable. To me subject matter trumps the lens any day of the week. Would these have been better with the 12-40? Maybe. Maybe not. But I want the 12-40!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads