All this talk about the 12-40mm, I just bought a used 12-50mm for $235

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,612
Like?
8 months ago

Granted, I know the apertures aren't even comparable, but I already have a 17mm f/1.8 that I love.  I bought the 12-50m to have a weatherproof system with the E-M1.

How weatherproof is the 12-50mm?

BTW, I bought the olympus lens hood for it too.

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Wallybipster
Contributing MemberPosts: 819Gear list
Like?
I still love my 12-50
In reply to The Photo Ninja, 8 months ago

It's  great lens.  I still plan on getting a 12-40 as soon as I can afford it, but the 12-50 is still a solid walk-around generalist lens.  I am looking forward to having something sharper on the long end, and faster throughout, but that doesn't keep me from using the 12-50 on a daily basis.

I find the 12-50 to be plenty weatherproof for me.  I have gotten it soaked in foul weather multiple times without any problems, including some distance wet in a trekking bag when I didn't realize water was getting in while hiking 10 miles in what was basically a hurricane.

Wallybipster's gear list:Wallybipster's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
danpolley
Contributing MemberPosts: 563Gear list
Like?
Re: All this talk about the 12-40mm, I just bought a used 12-50mm for $235

Good for you.

-- hide signature --
 danpolley's gear list:danpolley's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Brian Wadie
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,288Gear list
Like?

I'm very happy with mine, must have got a good copy. I've used it in pouring rain without problem on several occasions so mine seems to be pretty weatherproof

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Landscapephoto99
Senior MemberPosts: 2,464
Like?

I'm happy with my copy as well.  It's light weight, sharp, weatherproof, fast AF and has pretty decent macro.

boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,284Gear list
Like?
It's a pretty decent lens, I think

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Granted, I know the apertures aren't even comparable, but I already have a 17mm f/1.8 that I love. I bought the 12-50m to have a weatherproof system with the E-M1.

Over the 12-40 the 12-50 has that 10 mm at the long end, but also a pretty reasonable macro setting, and has the dual 'manual / wire' focus modes (I use manual, but the wired mode would be useful for video).

Otherwise it is not up to the 12-40 f/2.8 quality, but then that's hardly surprising.  My results from it are not stellar (not up to par with the 12-60 on the E-5) but they've been quite acceptable.

Seems pretty good.  I've had no problems using it with the E-M5 in moderate to heavy rain.

I bought some cheap eBay thing instead.  It marred the barrel slightly, so I guess there's a lesson there.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +10 more
Bluephotons
Senior MemberPosts: 2,582Gear list
Like?
In reply to boggis the cat, 8 months ago

You can also buy a black piece of cheap garment at Joann fabric, wrap it up to your body and pretend you are a ninja, add some aluminum foil shurikens and an old bicycle chain for a manriki gusari, and you are ready to go! you are now the fist of justice! Oh, and also get the Olympus 15mm f/8.0 Body Cap Lensand pretend is a prime lens and save even more! 

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons
Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. Bob Dylan

Bluephotons's gear list:Bluephotons's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
The Photo Ninja
Like?
Awesome!
In reply to Bluephotons, 8 months ago

I'm training for my blue belt now, so I got a few years before I'm ready for that.

tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,170Gear list
Like?

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Granted, I know the apertures aren't even comparable, but I already have a 17mm f/1.8 that I love. I bought the 12-50m to have a weatherproof system with the E-M1.

Well, that lens is certainly not worth than the price you paid for it. Among my zoom lenses in the focal length area it covers, it is by far the worst performer.

That there is so much talk about the 12-40mm and far less (favorable) about the 12-50mm is justified. All this writing about that the 12-50mm is a "decent" lens, is a polite statement saying that it is not really good. To me, paying $ 235 for it is money that could and should have saved to buy something else.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +17 more
Bluephotons
Like?
Re: Awesome!

NInjas are from Japan, no blue belts there (at least in Okinawa) only purple, you sound like a Tae-Kwan-Do, please identify yourself 

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons

Olympus OM-D E-M5
The Photo Ninja
Like?

Shotokan.  Our instructor also teaches ninjutsu, I did that for a short stint, but it really is for younger guys in better shape.  Shotokan is close to what I studied when I was in college which was Kyokushinkai.

I've studied more off than on over the years, but always come back to training.  Did TKD a little in my twenties, and did Wing Chun for a couple of years.  I really liked TKD, but the instructor sold the school. Wing Chun was an hour and a half each way.  The shotokan school is five minute from the house, and the Sensei lives just down the street from us. We got our four year old daughter in it a couple of years ago, it looked like fun, so I switched from wing Chun to shotokan.  It's closer, I can train more, and spend more time with my family. Also, our Sensei is very organized and classes run extremely well.  He's a good coach and pushes us to be better.

Now back to the lens talk.  12-50mm and stuff.

Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,408
Like?
In reply to tgutgu, 8 months ago

tgutgu wrote:

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Well, that lens is certainly not worth than the price you paid for it. Among my zoom lenses in the focal length area it covers, it is by far the worst performer.

That there is so much talk about the 12-40mm and far less (favorable) about the 12-50mm is justified. All this writing about that the 12-50mm is a "decent" lens, is a polite statement saying that it is not really good. To me, paying $ 235 for it is money that could and should have saved to buy something else.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

I reckon $235 is quite a good price for that lens.

Bluephotons
Like?

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Shotokan. Our instructor also teaches ninjutsu, I did that for a short stint, but it really is for younger guys in better shape. Shotokan is close to what I studied when I was in college which was Kyokushinkai.

I've studied more off than on over the years, but always come back to training. Did TKD a little in my twenties, and did Wing Chun for a couple of years. I really liked TKD, but the instructor sold the school. Wing Chun was an hour and a half each way. The shotokan school is five minute from the house, and the Sensei lives just down the street from us. We got our four year old daughter in it a couple of years ago, it looked like fun, so I switched from wing Chun to shotokan. It's closer, I can train more, and spend more time with my family. Also, our Sensei is very organized and classes run extremely well. He's a good coach and pushes us to be better.

Now back to the lens talk. 12-50mm and stuff.

Shotokan is fine and so is Ninjitsu , I never have a son, only daughters, so no say there, my personal choice for my son will be Judo or Aikido, no need to be aggressive, if you know what I mean, I trained in Kempo , up to Purple belt, my Sensei use to teach compassion and justice, TKD guys used to fear us, we meant business: no flapping kicks, or ridicules possess, but we were mercy-full and respectful of all living creatures. The funny thing is that the only time I was able to try my martial arts capabilities was against a brother of a friend which was twice my weight and 4+ inches taller than me, so He ended up on top of me, I have and asthma attack and  gave up. Well, in another occasion I was able to dis-arm a guy with a knife, by kicking his wrist. But my best lesson learned was: the best fight is the one you never have! There is a reason why the Tiger and the Hog  always avoid confrontation and it is not because of fear; it is respect for life. So far, I have find the way to avoid any kind of physical confrontations, but I still remember a couple of tricks on how to put my stronger enemy out in a matter of seconds.

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons

Olympus OM-D E-M5
MatsP
Contributing MemberPosts: 869Gear list
Like?
In reply to tgutgu, 8 months ago

tgutgu wrote:

The Photo Ninja wrote:

-- hide signature --

Thomas

The 12-50 IS ok at 12 mm I think but as soon as you use it at longer focal lengths it gets worse. I find 50 mm hardly usable to be honest. And I have never managed to get a sharp shot with the macro function. Maybe it's photographers malfunction, but I get much better result with my 40-150 and some cropping.

In fact the very simple Canon kit lens EF-S 18-55/3,5-5,6 I had on my 400D some years ago was sharper than the oly 12-50. And the Sigma 17-70 I used om my 40D was even sharper. So I was a little disappointed with the 12-50.

On the positive side one has to mention the weather sealing. I have used the 12-50 in snowstorm and heavy rain and in that kind of situation sharpness isn't as important as on a bright day. And it is a good video lens. But as I'm not much for video I've just tried that a few times, but with quite good result.

Now when the 12-40 soon appears also in Swedish shops I'm probably going to sell my 12-50, 45/1,8 and Sigma 19 to finance it. Maybe also the 9-18 and get a Samyang 7,5 instead for UW. Today I prefer my 9-18 before the 12-50, but the 12-40 is supposedly much better than the 9-18 in their common range 12-18.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Gottschalk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,243
Like?
In reply to MatsP, 8 months ago

You guys must have gotten bad copies. I'm on my second copy myself, had very bad flaring on the first. The second one is very good though! Tack sharp from 12 right through to 50mm. Out of interest the other day I was comparing 100% crops with my 45 1.8, not to see how good the 12-50 was but to see how much sharper the 45 is. I'll be honest, I was not blown away, the 45 was sharper of course but only by a tiny bit. Nothing in the lines of "unusable" like I read here. When looking at my pics at normal sizes, I just don't see the "unusable" softness. I have gotten some really sharp macros as well. In fact, I was a little dumbfound as to why there was so much complaint about it. I can only write it down to sample variation.

-- hide signature --

It's not the size of your sensor but how you use it that counts...

MatsP
Contributing MemberPosts: 869Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gottschalk, 8 months ago

Gottschalk wrote:

You guys must have gotten bad copies. I'm on my second copy myself, had very bad flaring on the first. The second one is very good though! Tack sharp from 12 right through to 50mm. Out of interest the other day I was comparing 100% crops with my 45 1.8, not to see how good the 12-50 was but to see how much sharper the 45 is. I'll be honest, I was not blown away, the 45 was sharper of course but only by a tiny bit. Nothing in the lines of "unusable" like I read here. When looking at my pics at normal sizes, I just don't see the "unusable" softness. I have gotten some really sharp macros as well. In fact, I was a little dumbfound as to why there was so much complaint about it. I can only write it down to sample variation.

-- hide signature --

It's not the size of your sensor but how you use it that counts...

You're a lucky guy! It seems as the quality differ a lot between copies. And this may explain the very different reviews of that lens. SLRGear for instance must have had a good copy, while Photozone had an average and Lenstip a very bad one. My own copy is as I wrote quite sharp at 12 but soft at 50 mm. On the other hand, my Sigma 19 isn't much better than 12-50 at 19, and it's regarded as a good lens, so maybe I demand too much. However, I'm lucky enough to have a good copy of the 9-18, which also have some mixed reviews.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,717Gear list
Like?
Good on you, Ninj. I always buy what suits my work too.

And I buy it and use it regardless of what "everyone" is saying.

Some people have shown excellent results with this lens on this forum.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,284Gear list
Like?

Bluephotons wrote:

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Shotokan. Our instructor also teaches ninjutsu, I did that for a short stint, but it really is for younger guys in better shape. Shotokan is close to what I studied when I was in college which was Kyokushinkai.

I've studied more off than on over the years, but always come back to training. Did TKD a little in my twenties, and did Wing Chun for a couple of years. I really liked TKD, but the instructor sold the school. Wing Chun was an hour and a half each way. The shotokan school is five minute from the house, and the Sensei lives just down the street from us. We got our four year old daughter in it a couple of years ago, it looked like fun, so I switched from wing Chun to shotokan. It's closer, I can train more, and spend more time with my family. Also, our Sensei is very organized and classes run extremely well. He's a good coach and pushes us to be better.

Now back to the lens talk. 12-50mm and stuff.

Shotokan is fine and so is Ninjitsu , I never have a son, only daughters, so no say there, my personal choice for my son will be Judo or Aikido, no need to be aggressive, if you know what I mean, I trained in Kempo , up to Purple belt, my Sensei use to teach compassion and justice, TKD guys used to fear us, we meant business: no flapping kicks, or ridicules possess, but we were mercy-full and respectful of all living creatures. The funny thing is that the only time I was able to try my martial arts capabilities was against a brother of a friend which was twice my weight and 4+ inches taller than me, so He ended up on top of me, I have and asthma attack and gave up. Well, in another occasion I was able to dis-arm a guy with a knife, by kicking his wrist. But my best lesson learned was: the best fight is the one you never have! There is a reason why the Tiger and the Hog always avoid confrontation and it is not because of fear; it is respect for life. So far, I have find the way to avoid any kind of physical confrontations, but I still remember a couple of tricks on how to put my stronger enemy out in a matter of seconds.

I'll have to post a link to this to my brother.

I can't tell whether you're taking the pi$$ or not...

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +10 more
Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,198
Like?

You did very good. In spite of what some people say, the 12-50mm is a good and very versatile all purpose lens. For me, it is one of the best kit zooms I have ever worked with and the price is a bargain. I even use it for professional work.

The only drawback is speed but if you don't really need f/2.8, you may not see much of a difference between it an the 12-40mm if you don't pixel peep.

Here is an example of what it can do, look at original size to get the picture.

Moti

-- hide signature --
reygon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,998
Like?
not good?
In reply to MatsP, 8 months ago

MatsP wrote:

tgutgu wrote:

The Photo Ninja wrote:

-- hide signature --

Thomas

The 12-50 IS ok at 12 mm I think but as soon as you use it at longer focal lengths it gets worse. I find 50 mm hardly usable to be honest. And I have never managed to get a sharp shot with the macro function.

I don't think so... This is a great all weather lens and a fraction the price of 12-40mm if you don't want to pay the big price difference for F2.8.  Some sample shots and you decide if it is not worth it or just a "decent" lens comment to be polite...

this is a great lens for its price!

-- hide signature --

reygon
----------------------------------------------------------------
Take nothing but photos... Kill nothing but time... Leave nothing but footprints...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads