Upgrade to 5D mark III or keep my 5D mkII and get a 70D as backup body for video?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
syrcular
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Upgrade to 5D mark III or keep my 5D mkII and get a 70D as backup body for video?
9 months ago

I currently own a 5D Mark II and love it but looking to expand to something with more video features like 60p. I love the image quality of the 5D and have considered getting selling my mark 2 and getting a Mark 3 but it's still pretty over my budget. Then someone had suggested I get the 70D, because it has the best video features of any of the canon DSLR's and also can act as a backup body for my 5D mark II which I can then keep.

Will the 70d give me just as good video image quality as my current 5D Mark II? Or should I wait and keep saving up to upgrade to a 5D Mark III?

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DBCossini
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?
Re: Upgrade to 5D mark III or keep my 5D mkII and get a 70D as backup body for video?
In reply to syrcular, 9 months ago

I don't do a whole lot of video shooting, but I had 2 5D MKII sold 1 of them to help purchase a 5D MKIII, I have to say the AF on the MKIII is excellent far better than the MKII for this reason alone I purchased a 2nd 5D MKIII and will keep the MKII as well, I am a wedding photographer and I could tell the difference immediately after downloading the photos the number of keepers was just so much better. I still love and will continue to use my 5D MKII.

DBCossini's gear list:DBCossini's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
riknash
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,209Gear list
Like?
Re: Upgrade to 5D mark III or keep my 5D mkII and get a 70D as backup body for video?

syrcular wrote:

I currently own a 5D Mark II and love it but looking to expand to something with more video features like 60p. I love the image quality of the 5D and have considered getting selling my mark 2 and getting a Mark 3 but it's still pretty over my budget. Then someone had suggested I get the 70D, because it has the best video features of any of the canon DSLR's and also can act as a backup body for my 5D mark II which I can then keep.

Will the 70d give me just as good video image quality as my current 5D Mark II? Or should I wait and keep saving up to upgrade to a 5D Mark III?

If you are happy with the 5D Mk II and need the video capabilities of the 70D  which the 5D Mk III  doesn't have, then the choice is obvious. I doubt you'll see any difference with video quality between either 5D and the 70D as the images resolution of video is greatly reduced. There would be the FOV difference of crop versus full-frame. The 5D Mk III has better AF for still frame than the 5D Mk II but the AF in the 70D is quite good.

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III HTC One
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,584Gear list
Like?

I'd say 5D2+70D unless you want to consolidate into one camera.

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Fog Maker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?

syrcular wrote:

Since Canon just stated that they will upgrade their current Cinema line with the new AF

this is not really easy to answer.

My hopes are they will offer the same for 5D III and 1DX owners,

extending these cameras shelf life considerably, instead of just churning out

another FF body -

I haven't tried the 70D yet, but they must be on to something really substantial as far as AF is concerned, since it goes straight into their Cinema bodies.

I have shot a lot of video, combining the Mk IIs and a 7D. There is a difference in image quality between the two, but intercut few would notice.

The 5D III is close to perfect, solving many of the issues I had with the mk II's.

So please Canon, help us out now. We are tired of buying new Camera bodies -

money that would be better spent on lenses and other accessories

Iswandi
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?

I think you better keep your 5d mark II and get the 70D .... unless you like to take a shoot in lowlight... Get the 5D mark III....

Marx81
Regular MemberPosts: 412Gear list
Like?

I don't know 70D but I know 5D3 is a well worth update from 5D2 .

You should test it , if you haven't yet .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marxx/

Marx81's gear list:Marx81's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads