Rumoured Pentax FF : follow classic mz5n

Started Nov 3, 2013 | Discussions
jacketpotato
Regular MemberPosts: 496
Like?
Rumoured Pentax FF : follow classic mz5n
Nov 3, 2013

Just add dial below exp comp for white balance.

Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,221Gear list
Like?
Let's follow Asahiflex
In reply to jacketpotato, Nov 3, 2013

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,648Gear list
Like?
Re: Let's follow Asahiflex
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, Nov 3, 2013

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

Nope. This is older, thus better:

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Rudi
Contributing MemberPosts: 633
Like?
In reply to Alex Sarbu, Nov 3, 2013

... with a little bit finetuning of the control layout and K3 technics that could make a nice camera.

Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,648Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rudi, Nov 3, 2013

Rudi wrote:

... with a little bit finetuning of the control layout and K3 technics that could make a nice camera.

And a bit of carpentry

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Ae7flux
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, Nov 3, 2013

Actually, I wouldn't mind a camera with a screen on the top.

waxwaine
Contributing MemberPosts: 964Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alex Sarbu, Nov 3, 2013

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Rudi wrote:

... with a little bit finetuning of the control layout and K3 technics that could make a nice camera.

And a bit of carpentry

Alex

Anyway, everybody seems to be over-exited about manual focus rearsal.

Col K10d
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,208Gear list
Like?
In reply to waxwaine, Nov 3, 2013

waxwaine wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Rudi wrote:

And a bit of carpentry

Alex

Anyway, everybody seems to be over-exited about manual focus rear

Duncan Suss has the contract to carve the K mount for it?

-- hide signature --

Colin
If a picture's worth a 1000 words, why have I run out of shelves?

Col K10d's gear list:Col K10d's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +9 more
lol101
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,291Gear list
Like?
Re: Rumoured Pentax FF : follow classic mz5n
In reply to jacketpotato, Nov 4, 2013

jacketpotato wrote:

Yay!

Bring back aperture rings!!

lol101's gear list:lol101's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 1000D Samsung NX1000 Canon EOS 6D +13 more
robbo d
Senior MemberPosts: 1,084Gear list
Like?

I got hold of a brand new MZ-60 and shot a roll of film the other week, brought back memories, but .........what a piece of plastic junk!!! Feels so cheap and nasty..........Pentax have come so far since then and thank goodness for that. Any sort of retro design will take it's cue's from classic 70's 80's SLR. Still think it could sell in good enough numbers to be viable and Pentax would be the ones to do it at the right price.......

MZ-60 and FA28-105

robbo d's gear list:robbo d's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Pontoneer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,031Gear list
Like?

jacketpotato wrote:

I would hardly regard the MZ series ( apart from the MZ-S ) as in any way 'classic' .

These were the lightweight , plastic products which heralded the demise of Pentax 35mm offerings , and in no way a patch on earlier products .

Since the topic is no doubt insipired by the forthcoming Nikon retro camera , I would hope that any Pentax offering is based on the LX , which is the best 35mm camera of that era ( besides , I still have two LX's and accessories for them which I would wish to use with the new camera ) .

There's already a retro camera based on the MX , and there was a previous limited edition K10 ( I think it was ) liveried up as an 'Asahi Pentax' , so retro cameras would be nothing new .

They could also do a limited edition Q masquerading as an Auto 110

-- hide signature --

With kind regards
Derek.

Pontoneer's gear list:Pontoneer's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED +37 more
jacketpotato
Like?
In reply to Alex Sarbu, Nov 4, 2013

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

Nope. This is older, thus better:

Alex

Looks quite jacket pocketable

jacketpotato
Like?
In reply to Pontoneer, Nov 4, 2013

Pontoneer wrote:

I would hardly regard the MZ series ( apart from the MZ-S ) as in any way 'classic' .

These were the lightweight , plastic products which heralded the demise of Pentax 35mm offerings , and in no way a patch on earlier products .

-- hide signature --

With kind regards
Derek.

robbo d wrote:

I got hold of a brand new MZ-60 and shot a roll of film the other week, brought back memories, but .........what a piece of plastic junk!!! Feels so cheap and nasty

The simple design is what I would like.  The build was as you both say, could do with beefing up. I had mine unitl 2010.

Pontoneer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,031Gear list
Like?

jacketpotato wrote:

Pontoneer wrote:

-- hide signature --

With kind regards
Derek.

robbo d wrote:

I got hold of a brand new MZ-60 and shot a roll of film the other week, brought back memories, but .........what a piece of plastic junk!!! Feels so cheap and nasty

The simple design is what I would like.  The build was as you both say, could do with beefing up. I had mine unitl 2010.

I have an MZ 50 up in the attic somewhere - worst camera I ever bought - at least it was cheap .

I suppose what I would REALLY like to see would be a digital 67 , to sit above the 645D and take on the best that ANYONE else can offer .

-- hide signature --

With kind regards
Derek.

Pontoneer's gear list:Pontoneer's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED +37 more
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,968Gear list
Like?

I realize this thread is largely IN JEST, but at any rate, I'm going on the record to say that...

I, for one, am NO FAN of this "retro trend" in digital cameras, with new cameras coming out with old-style dials on them that give FEWER options (such as 1/8 second -- 1/1000 second, plus B, or thereabouts), and similar limitations, and usually cost as much as or MORE THAN comparable FF cameras with all the features we've come to expect (I'm thinking specifically of recent models by Fuji and Sony).

As long as Pentax has taken to get to FF, IF Ricoh DOES come out with a "K-1" next year, I, for one (and I think I speak FOR MANY) hope it will be something like a FF version of the K-3, except maybe with another new feature or two (or improvement, etc.).

After all, That's still what the majority are producing, and what I think most camera buyers want. And I think if Ricoh is going to try to earn back a decent share of the market for Pentax it DOES NOT need to go off in eclectic directions.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
robbo d
Senior MemberPosts: 1,084Gear list
Like?
In reply to JeffAHayes, Nov 4, 2013

Jeff,

I am with you on the K1 or whatever being a modern version FF of the K3/5 series, but think they could produce a retro, although not instead of the k1, but as well as..........

The whole retro thing is interesting because while I am an older film days guy and love some of those older cameras, there is a whole new generation of younger, artistic people (and let's face it, that's what Photography is...an art) who appreciate retro design, wether it be an Italian scooter, retro furniture etc........its funky and modern to have retro gear.....

There needs to be a 'standard' modern all singing all dancing hi tech version and perhaps there is room for a retro design. Wether it be FF or APS-C (k-01 revamped) mirrorless?? I think that Ricoh has their finger on the pulse of marketing a bit better and the colour thing seems to have worked well for them in asian markets at least, so they will best know if an LX-D or K1000D will work for them. What also seems to work for them best is concentrating on what they do well in niche or uncrowded markets. Whilst retro range finder is being done everywhere, Nikon seems to be the only one (unless you call the Oly's retro?) doing retro DSLR.

I was always one keen to see such a thing myself, so there you go, always two very differing desires and that's why there might be enough in it to do a simplified FF, hopefully not with shutter speed dial as in the Nikon, but at least in body and a few styling cues, with modern internals perhaps.....

robbo d's gear list:robbo d's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,810Gear list
Like?
In reply to robbo d, Nov 4, 2013

Hi,

To be quite honest I hope Pentax have turned their back on their plasticy AF type SLRs, I have never had one and would not want to either, I am from the Pentax/Nikon  era of all metal bodies when camera construction quality had a minimum decent standard. Lenses went the same way as well, plastic rubbish that didn't even last long (Nikon).  I'm very glad Pentax haven't followed Canons example of entry level plastic nasties.

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
lol101
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,291Gear list
Like?
But my vote goes to:

The Spot!

Still have one of those, in pristine condition with a slew of lenses (24/35/50/135/200) all in their leather cases + accessories. From times to times, I'll pop a roll of PROVIA or TMAX in it just for the fun of it and have the pleasure of taking pictures without any battery...

lol101's gear list:lol101's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 1000D Samsung NX1000 Canon EOS 6D +13 more
yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,943Gear list
Like?
A plan for Pentax FF
In reply to Pontoneer, Nov 4, 2013

What I'd like would be two Pentax FFs: a new LX as a "pro" body with all the bells and whistles of the best modern DSLRs, and a new K1000 (call it a K1K if you like) sturdy and basic, no video, with stripped down features like a single center focus point, easy access to all manual controls, and a digital version of the classic match needle meter.  Both would make it easy to use the old manual lenses, perhaps by including a split image focusing screen, and would arrive accompanied by a selection of good new lenses with real working aperture rings.

There-- the best of both worlds, with the two models sharing a basic body shell and a lot of the electronics.  There is certainly a precedent for this in Pentax history.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +2 more
yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,943Gear list
Like?
Re: But my vote goes to:
In reply to lol101, Nov 4, 2013

Your gorgeous Spot, my battered old  K1000.  Here's to 'em.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads