Considering throwing in the towel with Pentax, some honest unbiased thoughts on the matter desired..

Started 5 months ago | Questions
cdherman
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Considering throwing in the towel with Pentax, some honest unbiased thoughts on the matter desired..
5 months ago

I have an older Pentax K-x body which is obviously not very valuable now, and a couple APS-c cheap entry lenses in the 18-55 and 50-200 ranges.

But I also have  a nice FA 1:1.4 50mm and a Sigma 1:1.8 EX DG 28m Macro.  I think both of these are decent lenses, someone correct me if I am wrong, full frame lenses.

My daughter needs  a bigger lens for her highschool yearbook work.

I am in a quandary as to my options.  I'd like to buy a good 50x500mm zoom in the $1500 range, but I cannot decide if I should stay with pentax, or abandon pentax and find one of the other "big 2" brands going forward.

It seems like Pentax is dwindling slowly.  Wondering if I should bail out before I make the next high dollar purchase.....

The only thing valuable I have left are the two prime lenses.....

I recognize that posting a doom and gloom question on a Pentax forum is subject to bias and I am NOT bashing Pentax.  Just trying to be realistic.  Was always a Pentax fan, but we cannot always be winners.....

Your honest thoughts.....

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax K-x
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dale108
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,015
Like?
Consider all Options
In reply to cdherman, 5 months ago

Go by your gut feeling on what is best for you.  I personally am sticking with Pentax but that is just me.

Dale

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sfa1966
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,137Gear list
Like?

cdherman wrote:

It seems like Pentax is dwindling slowly.

One word: "Ricoh."

Loads of life in the old dog yet ...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
sfa

sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +9 more
petreluk
Regular MemberPosts: 273
Like?
Re: Considering throwing in the towel with Pentax ...

I'd suggest selecting the lenses you really like first, then selecting a body for them. Go with the one you feel most comfortable with, in every sense - whichever brand it happens to be. It's pretty hard to buy a bad camera these days; pretty much all the mainstream ones are excellent, imho. OTOH, good lenses you really like should outlast several camera bodies. Perhaps you could use your remaining gear as trade-in?

MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 29,621
Like?
Re: Considering throwing in the towel with Pentax

cdherman wrote:

I have an older Pentax K-x body which is obviously not very valuable now, and a couple APS-c cheap entry lenses in the 18-55 and 50-200 ranges.

But I also have a nice FA 1:1.4 50mm and a Sigma 1:1.8 EX DG 28m Macro. I think both of these are decent lenses, someone correct me if I am wrong, full frame lenses.

My daughter needs a bigger lens for her highschool yearbook work.

I am in a quandary as to my options. I'd like to buy a good 50x500mm zoom in the $1500 range, but I cannot decide if I should stay with pentax, or abandon pentax and find one of the other "big 2" brands going forward.

It seems like Pentax is dwindling slowly. Wondering if I should bail out before I make the next high dollar purchase.....

I recognize that posting a doom and gloom question on a Pentax forum is subject to bias and I am NOT bashing Pentax. Just trying to be realistic. Was always a Pentax fan, but we cannot always be winners.....

I appreciate your approach, I'm biased, Pentax is great but not for everyone.

Will you find what you're looking for elsewhere, maybe but unlikely, all the cameras are quite capable, and there are more then enough lenses available for all systems. The only areas where there are any differences are in the extremes which don't apply to 99% of photographers whether they know it or not.

Pentax isn't dwindling slowly at all, its actually climbing, and is set for a banner year in 2014... Take all Pentax is doomed and any other negative talk on this forum with 10 tons of salt, don't buy into it, its fear-mongering and hysteria. There are truths out there but one has to weed through a ton of mis-information to get them.

So my advice is stick with it if you can, see what the next year has in store. but if you can't find something that works for you and enjoy it.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Simon Devlin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,225
Like?
500mm highschool

Crop?

Does it need to be uber quality?

Your daughter 'needs' a 500mm lens for highschool?

It sounds like you want it instead.

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover
Anarcho-primitivist and avid anti-technology advocate

Raybo
Regular MemberPosts: 446
Like?
Re: 500mm highschool
In reply to Simon Devlin, 5 months ago

Move on IMHO and I really don't understand your question in the first place.
If Pentax doesn't float your boat there are definitely several other options.

sfracerdaniel
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?

If you're sticking with APS, I'd suggest sticking with Pentax.  It seems like Nikon (and possibly Canon) really wants to move enthusiasts to full-frame and they're letting APS/DX whither on the vine.  The existence of the K-3 should tell you that Pentax is way more commited to the format than Nikon, who haven't replaced the D300, and it's doubtful they will.  They also don't have a very good selection of affordable APS primes, where Pentax certainly does.

When looking to upgrade from my Nikon D90, I naturally looked at Nikon and didn't like what I saw (in the D7100), so I went with a K-5 II and I'll be selling all my Nikon gear.  They've lost me as a DSLR customer, because me going full-frame seems like it's a much better deal for them than it is for me.

Jim in Hudson
Contributing MemberPosts: 938Gear list
Like?
Throwing in the towel over a yearbook?

cdherman wrote:

But I also have a nice FA 1:1.4 50mm and a Sigma 1:1.8 EX DG 28m Macro. I think both of these are decent lenses, someone correct me if I am wrong, full frame lenses.

I am in a quandary as to my options. I'd like to buy a good 50x500mm zoom in the $1500 range, but I cannot decide if I should stay with pentax, or abandon pentax and find one of the other "big 2" brands going forward.

It seems like Pentax is dwindling slowly. Wondering if I should bail out before I make the next high dollar purchase.....

I recognize that posting a doom and gloom question on a Pentax forum is subject to bias and I am NOT bashing Pentax. Just trying to be realistic. Was always a Pentax fan, but we cannot always be winners.....

I must say this is the first time I've heard of a student needing a 500 mm lens for the high school yearbook.  Seriously, what is she going to do with it that the DA(or L) 55-300 won't do?

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Pentax K-30 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +1 more
Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,796
Like?
I can't promise unbiased, but I think I'm being honest.

cdherman wrote:

I am in a quandary as to my options. I'd like to buy a good 50x500mm zoom in the $1500 range, but I cannot decide if I should stay with pentax, or abandon pentax and find one of the other "big 2" brands going forward...

I bought a used Sigma 170-500mm for Pentax for $325 which is about all I'm willing to spend on a long lens for Pentax until I know that the AF is on equal terms with the competition. Really even after that I probably wouldn't spend more as I'm not much of a long lens shooter. I don't really like lugging the lenses around. It's nice to be able to pull the Cheapma out every once in a while when I know I will use it, but it would be a real waste of $1500 for me to have the Bigma based on the same use pattern. The nice thing about the 170-500mm is that it isn't all that heavy, and although the used price probably reflects its performance, I don't find it awful. I'm happy with it.

What I really want in a longer lens is probably the new DA 55-300mm WR. It's the size of the lens and WR that makes it attractive to me. I toyed with the idea of getting one of the newer 16mpix, m4/3, bodies with a 70-300mm for long focal lengths this past year, but with the K-3 providing the same crop ability with its 24mpix sensor, I think I would go that direction with the 55-300mm WR now. Pentax is slowly coming around to where I wanted it to be a couple of years ago, and now that is sort has gotten itself together, it seems like the I will be happy with the system for a while longer.

That's the only thing I can offer as "advice", which really isn't. It's just whether or not you are happy enough with the system to stick around. If getting the 50-500mm is the only solution though, I probably would switch mounts as the lens has OS no matter the mount, and you know the AF will probably be better with the better bodies in other mounts. I wouldn't want to buy this expensive a lens for Sony though as they change things within their bodies enough to cause issue with third party lenses. It fine as long as Sigma will support the lens, but I probably will keep my lenses a lot longer than Sigma will ever provide support for. I don't know how well Nikon and Canon are in this regard.

Thank you
Russell

Wallace Ross
Senior MemberPosts: 1,837
Like?
Re: Considering throwing in the towel

Sell the lenses and toss the dwindling Pentax in the trash then go down to your nearest Costco and buy the cheapest Canikon kit.  That's my response for taking an uneducated cheap shot. However if you are ligitametly looking for advice pick one system any system and stick with it, so if you yourself have a different brand then buy her a cheap body of that type and buy the longer lens in that mount.

-- hide signature --
brew1brew
Senior MemberPosts: 1,817Gear list
Like?
upgrade to K3

I personally find it hard to believe that 200mm not long enough for high school yearbook. So I would suggest investing in the k3 with the 18-135. With your current lens, this camera will be able to cover virtually any situation. If your 50-200 isn't quite long enough,  with 24mp, you will be able to crop enough to make it seem like it was shot at 400. You will have enough of an image quality improvement,  you should be happy with it for a long while.

-- hide signature --

Les
anthisphoto.smugmug.com

brew1brew's gear list:brew1brew's gear list
Pentax K-3
Raybo
Regular MemberPosts: 446
Like?
Re: Considering throwing in the towel
In reply to Wallace Ross, 5 months ago

Wallace Ross wrote:

Sell the lenses and toss the dwindling Pentax in the trash then go down to your nearest Costco and buy the cheapest Canikon kit. That's my response for taking an uneducated cheap shot. However if you are ligitametly looking for advice pick one system any system and stick with it, so if you yourself have a different brand then buy her a cheap body of that type and buy the longer lens in that mount.

-- hide signature --

And I thought I was blunt! (;

Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,012
Like?
Re: Considering throwing in the towel with Pentax,......

I'm thinking if Ricoh was thinking of killing the Pentax brand they would not have bought it, there would be no K3 (excellent camera, BTW), the DFA Limited lenses wouldn't have had the upgrades, we wouldn't be seeing new lenses on the horizon, etc.

OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,953Gear list
Like?

"I'd like to buy a good 50x500mm zoom in the $1500 range"

It is often said that if ones interest is long zooms, go Canon.   But Nikon has some good ones too.

But I have to agree with someone else's comment ... a high school year book should be filled with close intimate pictures.   Not pictures with ones friends from a hundred feet away.   Who are you really thinking  of buying the lens for?

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS +22 more
fakuryu
Contributing MemberPosts: 824Gear list
Like?
Re: Considering throwing in the towel with Pentax...

cdherman wrote:

50-500mm, $1500, for a HS yearbook?

I'm not here to judge but is it really necessary? And what is the use of the 500mm for?

BTW a Pentax K5II body and a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 Macro is roughly $1500 in Amazon and that setup is more than enough for any HS yearbook IMHO.

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
Holger Bargen
Contributing MemberPosts: 652Gear list
Like?
A good bridge for your daughter and a process of lens updating (and maybe K3) for you?

Have you ever thought about a good brdige camera for your daughter. Do not know what Kind of photos she has to do for the yearbook - but maybe she will be happy with a Little camera that can solve nearly every task for her instead of carrying with her tons of glass.

With a good bridge camera you usually have an enormous focal range, good macro capabilitites, a large DOF because of a the smaller sensor and it should be no problem to print the photographs in a yearbook - for photos you just want to print in a book 3 MP would be sufficient - you won't have any advantage of higher resolution. Buy her a nice bag for the Bridge camera and she can carry it everywhere with her. A simple camera in you Hand is more worth than a high end camera in your camera case at home.

What you want to do with your equipment is something different. I just try to improve my lens Equipment by buying well known high end primes (also vintage lenses, as the new ones are much too expensive for me) and to get rid of the consumer lenses.

Best regards

Holger

Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +2 more
Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,115Gear list
Like?
Re: Considering throwing in the towel with Pentax, some honest unbiased thoughts..

cdherman wrote:

Do what you want - if you think another system is "better" for you, go for it. It's OK to put some subjectivity into our decisions.

However, from what I see you're far from reaching the limits of the Pentax K system. Old body, cheap/old lenses and now Bigma for a high school yearbook? (please think that over).

Regarding the Pentax "dwindling", probably you're talking about what happened in the last Hoya years; but it's Ricoh now, and you should read this:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52348321

And we have the K-3, and relaunching lenses with HD coatings (think: investment), and 2 new flashes, the Limited Zoom should be announced anytime soon (and it looks great!)...

Yep, things are moving forward.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +3 more
robbo d
Contributing MemberPosts: 634Gear list
Like?
Re: Considering throwing in the towel with Pentax, some honest unbiased thoughts..
In reply to Alex Sarbu, 5 months ago

I own the Kx and the K5IIs and with good glass on the front and with good care of your image quality like tripods, correct shutter speeds and light, well there's not a huge noticeable difference.

We can believe that the Kx is 'old' and therefore sub standard, but because this is a 'gearhead' forum that they aren't considered viable anymore........the Kx when it came out, punched well above its weight and if you believe 'snapsort', its sensor is still up there with the current canon ones and better than most of their recent APS-C....

Pentax on the way out....is biased fanboy emotional claptrap from other brand followers and salesman uneducated enough to sell groceries at the checkout let alone cameras. The other big issue they will spin is lack of lenses.....give me a break!!!....Pentax has one of the best APS-C lens line ups and with Sigma, Tamron and Samyang....well, the rest is history.

At the end of the day, if it's a change you want and someone you think you trust and respect has said another brand is better, then go for it, do what's comfortable for you, but other than video capabilities....Pentax in many ways is the equivalent or better than the opposition, they've had to be or they wouldnt be in business anymore and Ricoh would not be investing so much in them, new camera's and lenses and flashe and technology.

yesman12
Contributing MemberPosts: 780Gear list
Like?
Pentax on leading edge

A colleague of mine is very unhappy with Nikon and would switch to Pentax if he had not invested so much in lenses.. The significance is that he is a hard core engineer and very fact driven. Pentax is on the leading edge according to him.  Ricoh is bigger than Nikon

Pentax has a better APSC system and lenses than either C or N. If the new cameras reduce or eliminate the AF differences, then the only reason to switch brands is to get Full Frame.

Other than that I would stay with Pentax.

-- hide signature --

A picture is worth a thousand words but talk is cheap.
Best regards
Nick

yesman12's gear list:yesman12's gear list
Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads