How good is the Pentax 50mm f1.2 A lens?

Started Nov 1, 2013 | Discussions
Mel P
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
How good is the Pentax 50mm f1.2 A lens?
Nov 1, 2013

I would like to get a fast short telephoto/portrait lens and I was wondering how the overall sharpness of the 50mm f1.2 A compared with the 50mm f1.4 FA and any other Pentax lenses in this category you might be familiar with.  I plan on buying a K-3 and using the lens with this camera.  Thank you for your help.

Mel P's gear list:Mel P's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-x Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited
Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Simon Devlin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,228
Like?
Re: How good is the Pentax 50mm f1.2 A lens?
In reply to Mel P, Nov 1, 2013

I think it costs a lot of money and very dreamy at 1.2

MF with 1.2 will be difficult (A nightmare!)

I think most people find the 1.4 dreamy enough.

Look up the Pentax Lens Database for reviews and samples!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover
Anarcho-primitivist and avid anti-technology advocate

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,552Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mel P, Nov 2, 2013

You are better off with a DA55 not much more money.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
Vaards
Senior MemberPosts: 1,321
Like?

There is special threads on Fred miranda forums and pentax forums for F1.2 lens fans. A 50mm 1.2 is pricey, but sharpness is good.

Although I better like Olympus OM 1.2 lens and Cosina 55mm 1.2 lens - for exceptionally funky bokeh. I would rate these two as the best superfast manual primes to play with christmas lights and other interesting lights left in bokeh area.

Where Olympus is usable through adapter etc. But Cosina is already made at Pentax mount.

Just go to Google images and search for: Cosina 55mm 1.2 bokeh

or: OM 1.2 bokeh

From these images you can easily find comparisons, etc.

Dale108
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,581
Like?

With focus peaking on the K3 you will be able to do some neat bokeh effects.  The 50 f1.2 is sharp as you stop down to at least f2.8.

Dale

zakaria
Senior MemberPosts: 1,629Gear list
Like?

I got mine today. smc 50m f1.2 not the A  version.

all I can say/out standing lens..the BQ.. the bokeh..the sharpen at f1.4.

Mine is mint+++

try this forum

www.pentaxforum.c

put om to c

-- hide signature --

pentaxian .

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3
henning kraggerud
Regular MemberPosts: 358
Like?
In reply to Dale108, Nov 2, 2013

Dale108 wrote:

With focus peaking on the K3 you will be able to do some neat bokeh effects. The 50 f1.2 is sharp as you stop down to at least f2.8.

Dale

-- hide signature --

this is taken at f1.2

and I even have sharper ones at 1.2

At certain portrait distances in certain lighting this is sharper in the very middle than both FA50mm 1.4 and DA*55mm. Both of which I have

So I reccomend at 1.2 to have whatever you need really sharp in the middle and then crop.

I recommend this gem of a lens, Live View magnified is essential for best results at 1.2

lowlight macro ir

HozicEmir
Contributing MemberPosts: 679
Like?

Is funny to read ppl who say for this legendary lens something about being soft, dreamy etc.

A 50 1.2 is one of legendary lens, some canon users modified it for use on FF bodies as is something best what they try for video or portraits.

I tried it once and results was fantastic, but I'm not fan of manual focusing so I stick to DA*55.

MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,906
Like?
In reply to ozdean, Nov 2, 2013

ozdean wrote:

-- hide signature --

I offer a nod to the Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG, it can be found even cheaper and IMO its better in some ways.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

citrontokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 779Gear list
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, Nov 2, 2013

ozdean wrote:

-- hide signature --

I offer a nod to the Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG, it can be found even cheaper and IMO its better in some ways.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

I second this. Although I don't have this lens, every review I've seen gives it a big thumbs up.

citrontokyo's gear list:citrontokyo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
kuuan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,420Gear list
Like?

it's about the very best f1.2/50mm lens available
some samples: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=45469

-- hide signature --

photos mostly taken with manual lenses on Ricoh GXR M, Sony NEX5N, Pentax K-x and *istDs: http://flickr.com/photos/kuuan/

kuuan's gear list:kuuan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Pentax *ist DS
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,552Gear list
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, Nov 2, 2013

Haven't tried the siggy Mike, but did have a 1.2 but sold it.

Re the A 1.2 for the money I'd rather have digital enhanced glass, quick shift, wr & sdm af.

-- hide signature --

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
Holger Bargen
Contributing MemberPosts: 788Gear list
Like?
In reply to Simon Devlin, Nov 2, 2013

Simon Devlin wrote:

I think that even with AF focussing will be a nightmare! The AF System of the actual Pentax cameras (do not know AF of K3) works at the 5.6 Level accuraltelly.

Maybe the lens will be an Advantage to give a lot of light on the sensor and so the AF System gets enought light to wark at low light - but I would not use this lens at Maximum aperture opening.

I think most people find the 1.4 dreamy enough.

Look up the Pentax Lens Database for reviews and samples!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover
Anarcho-primitivist and avid anti-technology advocate

Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +2 more
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,939
Like?

One thing I have found out is the Pentax-A 50/1.2 with the Pentax-F1.7X AF Adapter makes a very good autofocusing 85mm f2 lens. You set the focus to infinity on the 50/1.2 and then you can usually autofocus all day long without having to ever prefocus the lens again, unless you are shooting at a very, very close distance. It also works better on the K-5 II / K-5 IIs than it did on any of the previous Pentas DSLR cameras.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

JL Salvignol
Contributing MemberPosts: 949Gear list
Like?
In reply to brandrx, Nov 2, 2013

I totally agree with Ron. The pairing K 50 f/1.2 & 1.7xAF Adapter is exceptional, and I have the two best 85mm Pentax: the K f/1.8 and the KA* f/1.4.

-- hide signature --

JLS

JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-01 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 S1 Nikon 1 V3 +12 more
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,906
Like?
In reply to ozdean, Nov 2, 2013

I've had and sold the K50mm F1.2 (should be the same formula) It was adequate for the little i used it. I also copied the optical formula for it from the patent to an optics program and sure enough even at F1.2 its quite good! I don't think it was ever specified in the marketing material but it has one aspheric surface.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

GossCTP
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,141
Like?
In reply to Holger Bargen, Nov 2, 2013

Holger Bargen wrote:

Simon Devlin wrote:

I think that even with AF focussing will be a nightmare!

That's not a problem. The 50 f/1.2 is only available as a K and A lens. No autofocus version exists.

The AF System of the actual Pentax cameras (do not know AF of K3) works at the 5.6 Level accuraltelly.

The K5ii and iis both have an f/2.8 sensor in the center. The K3 has three of them I believe.

Maybe the lens will be an Advantage to give a lot of light on the sensor and so the AF System gets enought light to wark at low light - but I would not use this lens at Maximum aperture opening.

If I had known how much ISO performance was going to improve I might have just gone with the 50 f/2.8 macro instead of the FA 50 f/1.4 I have.

-- hide signature --

Through the window in the wall
Come streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning

Vaards
Senior MemberPosts: 1,321
Like?
In reply to brandrx, Nov 8, 2013

brandrx wrote:

One thing I have found out is the Pentax-A 50/1.2 with the Pentax-F1.7X AF Adapter makes a very good autofocusing 85mm f2 lens. You set the focus to infinity on the 50/1.2 and then you can usually autofocus all day long without having to ever prefocus the lens again, unless you are shooting at a very, very close distance. It also works better on the K-5 II / K-5 IIs than it did on any of the previous Pentas DSLR cameras.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Never tried 1.7x autofocus adapter...
How it performs in comparison with real lens, for example Fa 85mm 1.4 ? Is there any noticable difference?

solarider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,899Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mel P, Nov 8, 2013

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thalamuse/4277305915/in/set-72157635127858616/lightbox/

I yet have a pentax camera with focus peaking. I'm sure it would be a lot more fun if I did. It's challenging to get things in focus, but in a good way.

-- hide signature --

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, the rational mind is a faithful servant.
We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

Peter Jonkman
Regular MemberPosts: 114
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, Nov 8, 2013

MightyMike wrote:

I've had and sold the K50mm F1.2 (should be the same formula) It was adequate for the little i used it. I also copied the optical formula for it from the patent to an optics program and sure enough even at F1.2 its quite good! I don't think it was ever specified in the marketing material but it has one aspheric surface.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

Mike,

As someone who's very interested in the history and design of Pentax lenses I think this post deserves a bit more exposure.

I'm VERY interested if you could point me to the lens patents because it's the very first time I hear about it having an aspherical element. That might explain why it's such a good lens (and I know that from experience; I will never part with the one I own).

Best regards,

Peter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads