56 a fahsan pahn!

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,341Gear list
Like?
56 a fahsan pahn!
9 months ago

Or £1000, if you're outside East London. A well known rumour site says that the 56/f1.2 will be a grand and available Spring 2014.

In the same piece, not to be overshadowed, is news that n Nov-Dec we will have the 10-24 wide zoom at only F799.

 57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
hexxthalion
Contributing MemberPosts: 526Gear list
Like?
Re: 56 a fahsan pahn!
In reply to 57LowRider, 9 months ago

57LowRider wrote:

Or £1000, if you're outside East London. A well known rumour site says that the 56/f1.2 will be a grand and available Spring 2014.

In the same piece, not to be overshadowed, is news that n Nov-Dec we will have the 10-24 wide zoom at only F799.

ouch… 60mm macro looks like a steal next to this rumoured price

 hexxthalion's gear list:hexxthalion's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,341Gear list
Like?
Re: 56 a fahsan pahn!
In reply to hexxthalion, 9 months ago

Funny you should say that, I was looking at "refurb" copies at under £400. I'm not sure what "refurbished" means though. I think that both the 18 and the 60 are actually pretty cheap at today's prices anyway (neither are selling at RRP), and certainly compared to the 14 and the 56.

 57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cheddargav
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,490Gear list
Like?
Re: 56 a fahsan pahn!
In reply to 57LowRider, 9 months ago

You wot guv!?!
Tbh, I'm not too surprised, with an aperture of 1.2 it's certainly up there in the ranks of premium product and will attract a few people into Fuji land
--
www.twitter.com/gavphotography

 cheddargav's gear list:cheddargav's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
Re: 56 a fahsan pahn!
In reply to cheddargav, 9 months ago

I can't see the 56 being much better than the 60 for overall sharpness.  Faster?  Duh.  Snappier autofocus?  Almost certainly.  But the 60 is already very, very sharp.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hexxthalion
Contributing MemberPosts: 526Gear list
Like?
Re: 56 a fahsan pahn!
In reply to Red5TX, 9 months ago

Red5TX wrote:

I can't see the 56 being much better than the 60 for overall sharpness. Faster? Duh. Snappier autofocus? Almost certainly. But the 60 is already very, very sharp.

that's the thing, isn't 60 the sharpest of the lot? also, 1.2 could be challenging for a portrait lens, but I can imagine a lot of uses for such a small DoF, 60 seems to be right.

 hexxthalion's gear list:hexxthalion's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,696Gear list
Like?
Re: 56 a fahsan pahn!
In reply to hexxthalion, 9 months ago

A big asset of the 60mm is it's compactness

After the last FW the AF is much better especially in low light

It fits in the pocket the kit 35 and 60mm is fantastic for night shots and cheap compared to new lenses

IMHO the new lenses are the first step of a new high end X pro that will be definitly Pro oriented

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

 baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?
Re: 56 a fahsan pahn!
In reply to 57LowRider, 9 months ago

Ooomph.

Hopefully Fuji supports the system for a long time to come, because these lenses are expensive. I believe in investing in quality glass, but I can't help but worry about the XF series disappearing from production in a couple years for whatever reason.

I want the 56mm f1.2. Will probably get it... just... hurts the wallet.

Also want the 10-24mm but way less than the 56mm, so that'll be a low priority lens.

Dear Fuji, please continue to support the XF system for at least 10 years.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
Re: 56 a fahsan pahn!
In reply to Asylum Photo, 9 months ago

Asylum Photo wrote:

Hopefully Fuji supports the system for a long time to come, because these lenses are expensive. I believe in investing in quality glass, but I can't help but worry about the XF series disappearing from production in a couple years for whatever reason.

Completely agree.  I don't mind the investment if Fuji is committed for the long term.  Everything indicates that they are, and that the camera division is run by a bunch of true camera nerds.  Fuji as a company is also profitable and X-Series sales are good.  Still, I worry...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hexxthalion
Contributing MemberPosts: 526Gear list
Like?
Re: 56 a fahsan pahn!
In reply to Asylum Photo, 9 months ago

Asylum Photo wrote:

Ooomph.

Hopefully Fuji supports the system for a long time to come, because these lenses are expensive. I believe in investing in quality glass, but I can't help but worry about the XF series disappearing from production in a couple years for whatever reason.

I want the 56mm f1.2. Will probably get it... just... hurts the wallet.

Also want the 10-24mm but way less than the 56mm, so that'll be a low priority lens.

Dear Fuji, please continue to support the XF system for at least 10 years.

-- hide signature --

that's the reason I haven't bought anything else than 35mm and 18mm (well, that one was for free). the main stopper for me was release of lenses w/o aperture rings - that made me thinking why fuji decided to split the range of lenses without offering them in both finishes, with and without aperture rings. that's why i'm now more or less just waiting to see what's gonna happen and eyeing on Nikon's rumoured Df camera, after all it should be good and then, one day, if fuji releases FF camera or new camera based on organic sensor hopefully we will have clearer idea about the direction - but now, I don't have confidence.

 hexxthalion's gear list:hexxthalion's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?
Re: 56 a fahsan pahn!
In reply to hexxthalion, 9 months ago

hexxthalion wrote:

Asylum Photo wrote:

Ooomph.

Hopefully Fuji supports the system for a long time to come, because these lenses are expensive. I believe in investing in quality glass, but I can't help but worry about the XF series disappearing from production in a couple years for whatever reason.

I want the 56mm f1.2. Will probably get it... just... hurts the wallet.

Also want the 10-24mm but way less than the 56mm, so that'll be a low priority lens.

Dear Fuji, please continue to support the XF system for at least 10 years.

-- hide signature --

that's the reason I haven't bought anything else than 35mm and 18mm (well, that one was for free). the main stopper for me was release of lenses w/o aperture rings - that made me thinking why fuji decided to split the range of lenses without offering them in both finishes, with and without aperture rings. that's why i'm now more or less just waiting to see what's gonna happen and eyeing on Nikon's rumoured Df camera, after all it should be good and then, one day, if fuji releases FF camera or new camera based on organic sensor hopefully we will have clearer idea about the direction - but now, I don't have confidence.

The X-M1/X-A1 and XC lenses actually give me *more* confidence. It means they are supporting a wide range of users and not just a niche set. To me, that says they are investing in the product line as a whole. Given that the 23mm f1.4 released with very professional quality after the XC line released, I'm not worried about them ditching high quality gear.

My only real worry is that Fuji isn't the biggest company, so if the X line doesn't turn profits for them, it could be dropped. I'm doing my part though, I've bought 2 XF cameras, an X100 and 6 XF lenses :o

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,341Gear list
Like?
Re: 56 a fahsan pahn!
In reply to Asylum Photo, 9 months ago

I absolutely agree about support for the X-mount; I've never really bought into a system before but with XF, I have the zoom, 27 and 35 and my 14 and 23 have just been dispatched. That's knocking on for £3k-worth of lenses and if they ditch this line for FF, well, will not buy again Mr Fuji.

I'm just wondering if the 56 will come with its own half-tracked vehicle for lugging about - at that price, it must be a lump.

 57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bernie Ess
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,911Gear list
Like?
Re: 56 a fahsan pahn!
In reply to Asylum Photo, 9 months ago
My only real worry is that Fuji isn't the biggest company, so if the X line doesn't turn profits for them, it could be dropped.

I guess those rumours are unfounded: FR just published today that it is the x- line that is the cash cow within Fujifilm, compacts will be more or less dropped and X- business expanded because only there is money to be made (cameras and lenses).

I also believe it is quite realistic now that Fuji will eventually release the mythic organic sensor, and that it will start almost a new era. It is rumoured to have exceptional DR (clearly better than cmos), extra low noise and great high ISO even when Pixels get as small as 3µm - which will allow for very densely packed APSc sensors without compromising the IQ.

If this will become reality, Fuji can make a true leap in market share. So far all they have done in the x- ILC domain was very good, and also well received.

The only problematic thing might be them entering the FF market, because this would mean competition in- house, also the value of Dx lenses will diminish.

Bernie

-- hide signature --

'All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.' (Elliot Erwitt)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?
Re: 56 a fahsan pahn!
In reply to Bernie Ess, 9 months ago

Bernie Ess wrote:

My only real worry is that Fuji isn't the biggest company, so if the X line doesn't turn profits for them, it could be dropped.

I guess those rumours are unfounded: FR just published today that it is the x- line that is the cash cow within Fujifilm, compacts will be more or less dropped and X- business expanded because only there is money to be made (cameras and lenses).

I also believe it is quite realistic now that Fuji will eventually release the mythic organic sensor, and that it will start almost a new era. It is rumoured to have exceptional DR (clearly better than cmos), extra low noise and great high ISO even when Pixels get as small as 3µm - which will allow for very densely packed APSc sensors without compromising the IQ.

If this will become reality, Fuji can make a true leap in market share. So far all they have done in the x- ILC domain was very good, and also well received.

The only problematic thing might be them entering the FF market, because this would mean competition in- house, also the value of Dx lenses will diminish.

Bernie

-- hide signature --

'All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.' (Elliot Erwitt)

Just to be clear, I wasn't presenting a fact or a rumor, just generally giving my thoughts on the risk involved in investing in lots of expensive lenses with a new line of gear. Everything looks good right now, I just hope it continues to look good, because these lenses are serious purchases for me.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,162Gear list
Like?
Re: 56 a fahsan pahn!
In reply to hexxthalion, 9 months ago

All that really matters is that a camera company has available today for what you need today.

Fuji X has (or very shortly will have):

  • 10-24mm, 18-55, 16-50, 50-230, and 55-200mm zooms, medium quality wide, premium quality standard and telephoto and entry build quality standard and telephoto (still very good image quality on the XC lenses).
  • 14mm f/2.8, 18mm f/2, 23mm f/1.4, 27mm f/2.8, 35mm f/1.4, 56mm f/1.2, 60mm f/2.4 macro.
  • Zeiss: 12mm f/2.8, 32mm f/1.8, 50mm f/2.8 macro.

Seriously, the only thing missing is maybe an 85mm f/1.8 or 1.4, and maybe a super tele (not that important on a rangefinder styles compact).

That is an excellent set of lenses for the newest APS-C mirrorless system.

Eric

 viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,162Gear list
Like?
Re: 56 a fahsan pahn!
In reply to Red5TX, 9 months ago

Red5TX wrote:

I can't see the 56 being much better than the 60 for overall sharpness. Faster? Duh. Snappier autofocus? Almost certainly. But the 60 is already very, very sharp.

The macro lens will certainly be better for close focus, and the 56mm will certainly be better for portraits and infinity focus. That's my bet.

They are very different lenses. Personally the difference in aperture of the 56mm is 2 stops so the relative price difference is in the 56mm lenses favor. Usually going up 1 stop about doubles the price of a lens (rough estimate, varies on lens complexity).

Eric

 viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ross Kennedy
Regular MemberPosts: 291
Like?
Re: New Nikon 58mm f1.4 is $1600...
In reply to 57LowRider, 9 months ago

£1000 isn't too bad for what will be the flagship lens of the X-series.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169
Like?
Re: New Nikon 58mm f1.4 is $1600...
In reply to Ross Kennedy, 9 months ago

Ross Kennedy wrote:

£1000 isn't too bad for what will be the flagship lens of the X-series.

I can get used 5DII + 85/1.8 combo at that price, which will take very similar photos. I assume the 56/1.2 will probably be a bit sharper wide open, but a portrait lens doesn't have to be too sharp. The 5D will open you up to a world of high sync flash photography and videography as well.

If your goal is to have a single system and AF then I guess you'll have to pay for the Fuji. I'm using the Voigtlander 58/1.4 which is cheap, compact and very nice. I'd prefer AF but will have to think very long and hard about the $800 difference.

I wish Fuji didn't listen to the marketing department and stayed with the original 1.4 spec to keep the size & price down.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
justin_time
Contributing MemberPosts: 585Gear list
Like?
Re: 56 a fahsan pahn!
In reply to 57LowRider, 9 months ago

57LowRider wrote:

Funny you should say that, I was looking at "refurb" copies at under £400. I'm not sure what "refurbished" means though. I think that both the 18 and the 60 are actually pretty cheap at today's prices anyway (neither are selling at RRP), and certainly compared to the 14 and the 56.

I got a refurbished x-e1 from fuji uk. I have not found even a slight blemish on it yet and it works great.

 justin_time's gear list:justin_time's gear list
Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,210Gear list
Like?
Re: 56 a fahsan pahn!
In reply to 57LowRider, 9 months ago

I will gladly pay it if 1) it is as sharp as it should be, 2) it focuses very fast, and 3) if they ever actually make them available for purchase.

 Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads