Should Sony buy Tesla Motors?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
a1man
Regular MemberPosts: 229
Like?
Should Sony buy Tesla Motors?
10 months ago

I was reading a serious advice from a market expert for Apple to buy Tesla. http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/28/technology/innovation/apple-tesla/

He thinks Apple needs new sources of revenue and phones are not that profitable anymore. Interesting idea but I think Sony buying Tesla is more interesting. Two companies are similar, they are both very innovative, they take big risks. They fight against established industries, Tesla fights all gas engine car makers, Sony fights Nikon and canon. If Sony buys Tesla and keeps innovating with Elon Musk, we could end up with great photo devices and automobiles at the same time which would be A win win case:)

I am not sure if Sony has enough money but I thinkSony more suitable company to buy Tesla than apple.

This sounds crazy but so are a7 and model s!

A1man

Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RhysM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,600
Like?
Re: Should Sony buy Tesla Motors?
In reply to a1man, 10 months ago

a1man wrote:

I was reading a serious advice from a market expert for Apple to buy Tesla. http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/28/technology/innovation/apple-tesla/

He thinks Apple needs new sources of revenue and phones are not that profitable anymore. Interesting idea but I think Sony buying Tesla is more interesting. Two companies are similar, they are both very innovative, they take big risks. They fight against established industries, Tesla fights all gas engine car makers, Sony fights Nikon and canon. If Sony buys Tesla and keeps innovating with Elon Musk, we could end up with great photo devices and automobiles at the same time which would be A win win case:)

I am not sure if Sony has enough money but I thinkSony more suitable company to buy Tesla than apple.

A1man

I think it's the wrong direction for Sony, I just can't see people wanting to buy a SONY car, an apple car maybe as the brand is that much cooler amongst what would be the target audience.

I think it could be a possibility for apple to go down this road in the future(excuse the pun), but to be honest if they were ever to make the iCar, I think they'd just start from the ground up and do it their way, not pick up where someone else left off.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jkoch2
Contributing MemberPosts: 699
Like?

a1man wrote:

No.  Lose-lose.  To put two money-losing companies together means more money-losing.

Have you bought a Tesla?  Have you ridden on its magic tube train from LA to SF?  Elon Musk would probably tell Sony to buy Lytro.

klauspauk
Contributing MemberPosts: 623Gear list
Like?
Having a little much to drink tonight?

a1man wrote:

A1man

klauspauk's gear list:klauspauk's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,485
Like?

a1man wrote:

He thinks Apple needs new sources of revenue and phones are not that profitable anymore.

He is on crack. iPhone is still by far the most profitable electronics consumer good around, cost of making one is about 180 USD and they retail for 600 (either customer pay outright or carrier subsdise, but either way the money comes out of customer's pocket).

But that doesnt mean buying Tesla is a bad idea - it isnt. I just dont think Musk is interested in selling. He is not short on money and he started Tesla to change the world, not just get rich.

If Sony buys Tesla and keeps innovating with Elon Musk, we could end up with great photo devices and automobiles at the same time which would be A win win case:)

Much of Tesla's appeal is that it is a true American brand (on top of it being green and super fast and reasonable cheap after credits). "Japanese owned" just doesnt have the same ring.

In due time, it will be Tesla that buys Sony.

On a serious note, I think unless Tesla gets into serious financial trouble it will not sell to anyone. Why? because the last thing Elon Musk want, and many people around the world want, is for the new owner to sell Tesla to the automotive industry at twice the price and have it quickly dismantled and disabled. That is what happened to Ovonics battery. It set back the worlds break away from oil addiction by a good 10 years at the least.

Promit
Contributing MemberPosts: 958Gear list
Like?

It's the sort of nonsensical thing that analysts and financial advisors are prone to saying. These are not smart people and they tend to not understand the industries they're commenting on despite years of supposed observation and analysis. Never take these people as a source of serious insight, because they are little more than paper pushers in the end.

In this particular case, for anybody to flat out buy Tesla would ruin what Tesla is and why it's succeeding. And the article completely fails to understand how Apple operates as well.

PS I have driven the Tesla Model S and that is a cool experience. Don't know that I would buy one.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a77 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +12 more
a1man
Like?
No, I never drink!
In reply to klauspauk, 10 months ago
No text.
a1man
Like?
In reply to RhysM, 10 months ago

RhysM wrote:

I think it's the wrong direction for Sony, I just can't see people wanting to buy a SONY car, an apple car maybe as the brand is that much cooler amongst what would be the target audience.

I heard the same thing about Sony cameras and DSLRs, yet many buys Sony cameras if the camera is good enough.

>

I think it could be a possibility for apple to go down this road in the future(excuse the pun), but to be honest if they were ever to make the iCar, I think they'd just start from the ground up and do it their way, not pick up where someone else left off.

Yes, Apple is a more likely name that many people like to see in their product.

a1man
Like?
In reply to ultimitsu, 10 months ago

ultimitsu wrote:

>

If Sony buys Tesla and keeps innovating with Elon Musk, we could end up with great photo devices and automobiles at the same time which would be A win win case:)

Much of Tesla's appeal is that it is a true American brand (on top of it being green and super fast and reasonable cheap after credits). "Japanese owned" just doesnt have the same ring.

Musk said once that, they tried to import most of the model s parts from china but that turned out to be more expensive. He says he is not insisting on American parts and brand. The buyer profile doesn't seem to be insisting on American brand, so a Japanese electric car maker could be okay.

>

In due time, it will be Tesla that buys Sony.

On a serious note, I think unless Tesla gets into serious financial trouble it will not sell to anyone. Why? because the last thing Elon Musk want, and many people around the world want, is for the new owner to sell Tesla to the automotive industry at twice the price and have it quickly dismantled and disabled. That is what happened to Ovonics battery. It set back the worlds break away from oil addiction by a good 10 years at the least.

You have some points here, I think he should not sell, I like to see where this whole thing(along with spaceX) going.

Peter Herth
Regular MemberPosts: 495
Like?
They couldn't afford it...

I just checked both Sony and Tesla market caps, and they are almost the same, that is right now Sony is a few hundred million dollars more worth than Tesla, but that might change any day, as the Tesla stock did take a beating the last days. So independent of whether Sony would like to, they can't finance such a deal.

Apple certainly could afford Tesla and also would have the means of investing aggressively. So that is at least an interesting thought game. But that is all what it will be, as Apple has been extremely cautious about acquiring other companies. Compared to their cash reserves, Apple has spent only a minimal sum on acquisitions, rather preferring to grow itself.

Finally, there is no indication that Tesla is for sale - Elon Musk seems to be way more interested in achieving things than making money. And just from the current market cap, Tesla already eclipses many well known car manufacturers, so they don't seem to be money starved.

Peter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads