First pics with new (today) V2

Started Oct 26, 2013 | Discussions
rayk
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,213Gear list
Like?
First pics with new (today) V2
Oct 26, 2013

Hi everybody. This is my first post on this forum, although I've been reading it extensively for the last fortnight, trying to make a decision about a small, light, portable camera to always have with me (thankyou all for your great help). I've been using a Pentax K5, mostly fitted with a Sigma 18-125mm lens, which gets a bit taxing for my 70 year old arms and legs. I used to shoot with Olympus, and still have an E410, which is light enough, but still a little large to be always in the bag, besides which I've got to like the 3:2 ratio again.

I picked up a 1 Nikon V2 from my local camera shop (Kitamura) here in my hometown of Saga, Japan this morning, and after charging the battery, spending a little time setting it up (still a huge amount to learn!), I went out for a short bicycle ride around home, and took some standard jpegs.

I'm really thrilled with the camera, after getting home and looking at the results. These are the first few pics, jpegs straight out of camera, just a small brightness and contrast adjustment here and there in Photoshop, and downsized slightly to put on Zenfolio.

Any and all comments welcome! And thanks again for your unwitting, but very willing contribution to my hobby!

Ray Kinnane, Saga-shi, Japan

Very first photo with the V2. Abandoned bicycles.

Pink apartments.

Toyota used car lot mascot.

Here is the Zenfolio gallery with a few more shots from today.

http://rayk.zenfolio.com/p393625726

Enjoy, and thanks again.

rayk's gear list:rayk's gear list
Nikon 1 V2
Nikon 1 V2 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
retro76
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?
Re: First pics with new (today) V2
In reply to rayk, Oct 26, 2013

Excellant pictures ! I'm new here too having moved over from an OMD I sold severel months ago. Just for fun I bought the J3 for $200 (thanks to a mistake at Target) and I must admit this camera continues to impress. I'm jealous the V2 looks fantastic.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rayk
Like?
In reply to retro76, Oct 26, 2013

Thanks retro76. The V2 was very easy to learn to use, and feels good in the hand. It looks like being another good day here tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to getting out and getting some more learning done.

Sounds like a good mistake in your favor from Target! The J3 looked impressive to me, too. Are you shooting jpegs, or are you working with RAW files?

-- hide signature --

rayk

Nikon 1 V2
Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,774Gear list
Like?

Hi Ray!

How are you, it has been a while. Good shots, I always liked your walk about piccies.

I've had my V2 since April and I went the 18.5mm + 32mm route figuring that the sensor density would need the best optics. I still have the E-5 & M8 but needed something for the candid people stuff.

The V2 has turned out to be the best fun that I have had in a long while. Fast AF, face detect and cute appearance is a good formulae for grab shots. So far I am getting the output that I want from it and no complaint from the local crowd either.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Ross's gear list:Ross's gear list
Leica M8 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Nikon 1 V2
rayk
Like?
In reply to Ross, Oct 26, 2013

Ross wrote:

Hi Ray!

How are you, it has been a while. Good shots, I always liked your walk about piccies.

Hi Bob. I'm fine, thank you, but slowing down a little in my old age. Japan is a great place to just walk (or ride) about, and find colorful stuff to shoot.

I've had my V2 since April and I went the 18.5mm + 32mm route figuring that the sensor density would need the best optics. I still have the E-5 & M8 but needed something for the candid people stuff.

I got the 18.5mm as part of the 'special offer' kit, which was the 10-30mm zoom, which will become my most used lens, and the 18.5mm. I haven't used the 18.5mm yet, that's on the agenda for today, but if it is sharper than the 10-30mm, it will be really something.

I have also ordered the 30-110mm zoom, but I will only use that for the rare times I shoot some event, as I mostly shoot wide.

The V2 has turned out to be the best fun that I have had in a long while. Fast AF, face detect and cute appearance is a good formulae for grab shots. So far I am getting the output that I want from it and no complaint from the local crowd either.

I can't get over how small and light it is to carry, and it was certainly easy to get used to, and fun to shoot with. I can imagine it would be a good street shooter's camera.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

I hope so too, thanks. I'm sure I will. Nice to hear from you.

-- hide signature --

rayk

Nikon 1 V2
retro76
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?

I shooting JPEG + Raw. I just did the raw converter tour if duty downloading trials of Lightroom, Capture One, and DXO. I also own Aperture and find the best raw conversion seems to be from Nikon's own included View NX or Apples Aperture - both having the best color rendition and detail. JPEGs are pretty damn good too, might just stick to them.

rayk
Like?
In reply to retro76, Oct 27, 2013

Hi again retro76. Thanks for the info about software.

retro76 wrote:

I shooting JPEG + Raw. I just did the raw converter tour if duty downloading trials of Lightroom, Capture One, and DXO. I also own Aperture and find the best raw conversion seems to be from Nikon's own included View NX or Apples Aperture - both having the best color rendition and detail. JPEGs are pretty damn good too, might just stick to them.

I shoot RAW with my other cameras (Pentax K5 and a couple of Olympus cameras), but the trouble for me with the V2 is that I am still running an old OS on my iMac (10.5.8), and haven't upgraded because my old versions of Photoshop and Illustrator won't run on anything later. Also, I use RAW Converter (Iridient Digital) as my conversion software for my other cameras, but the version I have won't run on any later system, and it won't process files from the 1 Nikon V2! I need to think about a new computer, but hate the thought of another learning curve! It looks like I'll be stuck shooting jpegs for a while, but they do look fine, as long as I get the exposure right.

I'm about to post some B&W shots from the V2 that I took today, riding around Saga. It will be in another thread. Look out for it, if you are interested in B&W.

-- hide signature --

rayk

Nikon 1 V2
Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,774Gear list
Like?
In reply to rayk, Oct 27, 2013

Hi Ray,

I know that you'll like the 18.5mm, after all you are someone who came from the time before kit lenses, too .....

I have no regrets starting with the 18.5mm and it helped me decide that the 32mm was what I wanted, and certainly no regrets there either.

You mentioned B&W in another thread and I have shot a bunch. I found the orange filter to give me the gray-scale conversion that I like. My V2 has become my substitute scanner since my old scanner wont work with Windows 7.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Ross's gear list:Ross's gear list
Leica M8 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Nikon 1 V2
rayk
Like?
In reply to Ross, Oct 27, 2013

Ross wrote:

Hi Ray,

I know that you'll like the 18.5mm, after all you are someone who came from the time before kit lenses, too .....

The 18.5mm came to me very cheap, actually. The difference in price between the kit without that lens, supplied with the 10-30mm only, and the kit with both lenses, was less than $100 U.S.

I should be ok with using primes, as I never had any zooms back in the film days (film, what's film?), but the truth is, zooms are so good now, even the kit lenses, and I have grown very used to them. And the kit zoom is so light for travelling, and has VR built in, which I'm looking forward to testing.

I will use the 18.5mm on my daily walks and bicycle rides, as I do like that focal length, and seem to shoot around that quite a lot of the time.

You mentioned B&W in another thread and I have shot a bunch. I found the orange filter to give me the gray-scale conversion that I like.

One of the buildings I shot was painted orange at the top, and yesterday was one of those autumn blue-sky days that are so good here, that an orange filter would have been interesting. The shot didn't work too well due to the blending of the tones of sky and building. Today is another beautiful day, so I'll get down there (close to home) and try the filters.

Thanks for visiting Bob.

-- hide signature --

rayk

Nikon 1 V2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads