Started 9 months ago | Discussions
doctorxring
Senior MemberPosts: 1,094Gear list
Like?
Is there an adapter thread on the lens of the RX10 ? N/T
9 months ago
No text.
 doctorxring's gear list:doctorxring's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A65 Sony a77 II +4 more
FramerDave
Contributing MemberPosts: 562
Like?
Re: Is there an adapter thread on the lens of the RX10 ?
In reply to doctorxring, 9 months ago

Yes, 62mm

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chris43
Contributing MemberPosts: 568Gear list
Like?
In reply to FramerDave, 9 months ago

FramerDave wrote:

Yes, 62mm

There certainly is a filter thread. Is that strong enough to take, for example, a 62mm extra lens? I hope so, as just occasionally a longer range would be useful. I know the expected superb picture quality would be compromised, but maybe not too much.

Chris43's gear list:Chris43's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A55 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,343Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chris43, 9 months ago

Chris43 wrote:

FramerDave wrote:

Yes, 62mm

There certainly is a filter thread. Is that strong enough to take, for example, a 62mm extra lens? I hope so, as just occasionally a longer range would be useful. I know the expected superb picture quality would be compromised, but maybe not too much.

Per some of the reviews, the RX10 lens is solidly designed with virtually no movement (I guess, that goes with weather sealing requirements). So, an accessory lens may be possible. It is also possible that Sony will offer at least a pair of accessory lenses as they have done in the past (including R1) but that may also be bayonet mount (I believe that was the case with R1 lenses, as they are with conversion lenses for Sony E-mount lenses).

I happen to have two Sony tele-conversion lenses (unfortunately, both are for 58mm filter). The DH1758 is quite light, one I use on Sony 55-210 OSS (NEX--3) and HG1758 which is bigger and quite heavy that I use on Minolta 70-210 f/4 (being an internal zoom lens, it doesn't extend with zoom unlike 55-210).

On F828, I can use either since this lens doesn't extend much either (and has 58mm filter).

The lens on RX10 does extend, so while it may be able to take more weight, it may be worth a consideration to look for a lighter lens, or wait for Sony to provide one.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
BillSprague
Regular MemberPosts: 390Gear list
Like?
In reply to FramerDave, 9 months ago

Raynox makes one with a 62mm mounting thread. Raynox say it is intended for camcorders. Someone will undoubtedly try it. (Might be me --- grin!)

http://raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/dcr2025pro/

The listing on Amazon provides good reviews. At $273 there is a chance it is not trash.

http://www.amazon.com/Raynox-DCR-2025PRO-High-Definition-Telephoto/dp/B000Y9YFDA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382821664&sr=8-1&keywords=dcr-2025pro

-- hide signature --

Bill Sprague

BillSprague's gear list:BillSprague's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 5,719Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chris43, 9 months ago

Chris43 wrote:

FramerDave wrote:

Yes, 62mm

There certainly is a filter thread.

I am not certain there are threads. When I look at my R1, I clearly see threads in photos of it, and it takes 67 mm filters, etc. directly to those threads.

When I look at Sony pics of RX10, I see 62mm designation, but, I do not see threads. I do see portions of protruding plastic on the edge.

My friends canon sx50, has this, you have to first buy an adapter plate, that twists on like a lens hood, and then, the adapter has threads to receive something. This may be similar on RX10, I do not know.

Anyone have pics showing threads or definitive words?

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,343Gear list
Like?
In reply to elliottnewcomb, 9 months ago

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Chris43 wrote:

FramerDave wrote:

Yes, 62mm

There certainly is a filter thread.

I am not certain there are threads. When I look at my R1, I clearly see threads in photos of it, and it takes 67 mm filters, etc. directly to those threads.

When I look at Sony pics of RX10, I see 62mm designation, but, I do not see threads. I do see portions of protruding plastic on the edge.

My friends canon sx50, has this, you have to first buy an adapter plate, that twists on like a lens hood, and then, the adapter has threads to receive something. This may be similar on RX10, I do not know.

Anyone have pics showing threads or definitive words?

Its in the specs ...

Filter Diameter: 62mm

In case of R1 though, Sony offered accessory lenses using bayonet mount instead of the filter threads. Here is one of them: Sony DEH17R (1.7x Tele-conversion)

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads