Hudson Valley Panorama Part II (SX50)

Started Oct 26, 2013 | Discussions
Monicakm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,322
Like?
Re: Hudson Valley Panorama Part II (SX50)
In reply to VisionLight, Oct 27, 2013

VisionLight wrote:

Thanks for the kind words Evan.

Setting up for the position is fairly easy because it's in front of a boulder (that I don't expect will be moving any time soon.) I also brought a printed copy of the first pano for reference. The hardest part was getting the motorized zoom lens as close as possible to the same focal length. Turns out summer was shot at 5.1mm and autumn at 5.9mm. I wish the camera LCD review included focal length data. Then it was just slowly swing around adjusting the tripod slightly for horizon and adjusting exposure to balance the light as I went. I ended up with a 2/3 stop shift along the way. For best results in both panos, I made sure the full bridge was centered in one image and the full "island" was centered in another. As a wide angle fan, I love doing all this.

Ed

OK, so you didn't use the HQ Burst method that was shown here during the summer.  I'm uber impressed!

-- hide signature --

Monica/SX50

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,732Gear list
Like?
Re: Taking better panoramas
In reply to Monicakm, Oct 27, 2013

Monicakm wrote:

VisionLight wrote:

Thanks for the kind words Evan.

Setting up for the position is fairly easy because it's in front of a boulder (that I don't expect will be moving any time soon.) I also brought a printed copy of the first pano for reference. The hardest part was getting the motorized zoom lens as close as possible to the same focal length. Turns out summer was shot at 5.1mm and autumn at 5.9mm. I wish the camera LCD review included focal length data. Then it was just slowly swing around adjusting the tripod slightly for horizon and adjusting exposure to balance the light as I went. I ended up with a 2/3 stop shift along the way. For best results in both panos, I made sure the full bridge was centered in one image and the full "island" was centered in another. As a wide angle fan, I love doing all this.

Ed

OK, so you didn't use the HQ Burst method that was shown here during the summer. I'm uber impressed!

As is often the case Monica, the best output comes from the best input. Stitching programs do a pretty good job of figuring out the photographers intent for the multiple images in a scene, but then may have to do strange manipulations to produce the final panorama. When using the burst method there is no control that the horizon will stay exactly on the same plane, or that important elements will not each be held together in a single frame, or that the perspective will not be skewed as the camera's level changes up or down while moving. The wider the angle of incidence, the more these imperfections multiply as well. The program then has to resize each image and transform vertical and horizontal perspectives, leaving large hills and valleys across the field edges that loose a lot of the image. The remaining usable horizontal area then needs to be magnified, losing clarity and detail.

In my method for 180° panoramas, I always try to place myself right in the middle of the field. I then pick a focal length that gives a good equal rendition of both the left and right ends FIRST, then of the middle. And I set up to do about 20°-30° more than my intended image. I adjust the focal length up or down slightly to even out any perspective difficulties between the three points. The tripod is also set at this time so that as it is swung around, the horizon stays at exactly the same plane for all three points. If this is not possible, I take note of how many degrees on the tripod are in the shift so that I can adjust the tripod at a point or two along the way while shooting. Then I choose how many segments I need to keep important elements intact in a single image. This may mean that a 7 image panorama may have 5 equal divisions, but two intermediary ones in between as well to totally cover those elements. The images in the OP were done this way. I will also adjust the exposure along the way, as the sun will usually have differing strengths along a 180° horizon.

Once these images are loaded into a stitching program there is only minimal edge hills and valleys, giving a lot of detail. The most adjustment needed will be at the far edges, but here's where the extra 20°-30° comes in handy to be cropped out.

And Voila! Panoramas like in the OP above.

I hope you find this helpful. It takes a bit of effort, but I think it's worth the trouble.

Ed

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Monicakm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,322
Like?
Re: Taking better panoramas
In reply to VisionLight, Oct 28, 2013

As always, incredibly insightful.  Thank you!

-- hide signature --

Monica/SX50

Loraine Arnold
Senior MemberPosts: 1,099Gear list
Like?

I live in Hyde Park. Wondering where you took the panorama? Looks like Storm King Mountain maybe?

Very nice photos.

-- hide signature --

Loraine
Canon T2i, Kodak Z1485 IS, Canon G12, Canon SX40
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lorain9/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lorain9

Loraine Arnold's gear list:Loraine Arnold's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z1485 IS Olympus Stylus 1
VisionLight
Like?
In reply to Loraine Arnold, Oct 28, 2013

Loraine Arnold wrote:

I live in Hyde Park. Wondering where you took the panorama? Looks like Storm King Mountain maybe?

Very nice photos.

Thanks Loraine. Storm King Mountain is about 30 miles up river (to the left) from the point on Bear Mountain where I photographed these images. That's the Bear Mountain Bridge in my panoramas.

For another view of the same area from the other side of the mountain, see my post here.

Ed

Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Hollander
Senior MemberPosts: 1,369Gear list
Like?

Very well done Ed. I think the white fluffy clouds really add some impact to the picture.

Cheers,

Rob.

-- hide signature --

Rob.
To keep my brain active I'm trying to learn CS3 and Lightroom 2 , only to get more confused, because I don't read the manuals.
http://robvorderman.zenfolio.com/

Hollander's gear list:Hollander's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX80 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +3 more
VisionLight
Like?
In reply to Hollander, Oct 28, 2013

Thanks for the comments Rob. I was excited about the clouds (except when they were raining on those of us on the side of the mountain) because I thought they would add more visual interest against the broad blue sky of the summer image. Nature certainly has many guises.

Ed

Regatta
Regular MemberPosts: 267Gear list
Like?

I know the area, I use to live in Putnam Valley.

VisionLight
Like?
In reply to Regatta, Oct 30, 2013

Regatta wrote:

I know the area, I use to live in Putnam Valley.

So I'm wondering if in the high resolution version of these images if you could "see" your former home just a few miles to the left and beyond the bridge. As you lived so close, do you have any pictures similar to mine?

Ed

Stephen Barrett
Contributing MemberPosts: 580Gear list
Like?
In reply to VisionLight, Oct 31, 2013

Beautiful scenes, Ed!

I made them fill up my computer screen, but they deserve to be much bigger.  When you are finished they could be murals on 4 walls of a ballroom or some public hall.

Stephen Barrett's gear list:Stephen Barrett's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS +3 more
VisionLight
Like?
In reply to Stephen Barrett, Oct 31, 2013

Stephen Barrett wrote:

Beautiful scenes, Ed!

I made them fill up my computer screen, but they deserve to be much bigger. When you are finished they could be murals on 4 walls of a ballroom or some public hall.

Thanks Stephen. The original high resolution images from both scenes are over 13,000 pixels wide and huge files when uncompressed. I think you're right, they could easily blow up to some pretty large prints. It's a goodpossibility I may find out when the project is over.

Ed

VisionLight
Like?
In reply to Hollander, Oct 31, 2013

Sorry Rob, I see I hadn't acknowledged your comments. Thanks for looking. Those clouds, I thought, were perfect that day. Mother Nature provides.

Ed

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads