Hudson Valley Panorama Part II (SX50)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,449Gear list
Like?
Hudson Valley Panorama Part II (SX50)
9 months ago

Seven weeks ago I posted a panorama of the Lower Hudson Valley where I live, lush in the greens of summer. I've been patiently waiting for Mother Nature to provide her full palette of Autumn, as well as good weather, so I could record the second panorama of a planned triptych of seasons.

Yesterday was such a day, so up the mountain I went, SX50 and tripod in hand. The weather was a little strange as, although the sky was a beautiful blue filled with puffy white clouds, sometimes a single cloud here or there would let loose a downpour of rain. In the Autumn image below, you'll see that it is actually raining above the mountain top to the far side of the bridge. But I did get to photograph the seven images (same as in the summer scene) to create the panorama, trying as closely as possible to match the steps from that first shoot.

Here are the (lowered resolution) results of both images, framed for presentation while awaiting winter's snowy contribution:

I hope you enjoy my project so far. Thanks for looking.

Ed

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
diane143
Regular MemberPosts: 235Gear list
Like?
Re: Hudson Valley Panorama Part II (SX50)
In reply to VisionLight, 9 months ago

That's great! I can't  wait to see winter.  

I'm still going to try for a spring in mine. There is something so magical about the green just emerging.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,795Gear list
Like?

That's a fun project and the results paid off.  Looks great.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
MurryG
Senior MemberPosts: 2,621Gear list
Like?

Ed,

Nicely done!  I'm hoping to see winter and spring below these two panos some time in 2014?

Murry

-- hide signature --
 MurryG's gear list:MurryG's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Augustin Man
Senior MemberPosts: 3,396Gear list
Like?

Outstanding idea, excellent achievement !

Thank you very much Ed and I'm expecting the winter and the spring!

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Olympus SP-810 UZ Nikon Coolpix P510 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
OpticGlass
Regular MemberPosts: 306
Like?

Ed, those are beautiful panos! Well done. We will wait for the winter version.

Keep up the great work.

evancj
Senior MemberPosts: 1,764
Like?

Excellent presentation of a beautiful landscape Ed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My question is how did you mark the exact location of the point of view, and how will you find it under a foot of snow when you take the winter shot. It looks like you could overlay both images and they would match up perfectly.

Well done Ed. Cant wait to see the finished product.

VisionLight
Like?
In reply to diane143, 9 months ago

Thanks Diane. I originally planned a triptych of green, multicolor, and white, though a four season display might be a nice idea. Time will tell I guess.

Ed

Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
VisionLight
Like?
In reply to MarioV, 9 months ago

Thanks Mario.

VisionLight
Like?
In reply to MurryG, 9 months ago

Thanks Murry. You're the second vote for all four seasons instead of a triptych. Guess I'm really going to have to consider it.

Ed

VisionLight
Like?
In reply to Augustin Man, 9 months ago

Thanks for your thoughts Augustin. I do my best to try to be creative.

VisionLight
Like?
In reply to OpticGlass, 9 months ago

Thanks for looking and your kind words. Part III will hopefully be in a couple of months.

VisionLight
Like?
In reply to evancj, 9 months ago

Thanks for the kind words Evan.

Setting up for the position is fairly easy because it's in front of a boulder (that I don't expect will be moving any time soon.) I also brought a printed copy of the first pano for reference. The hardest part was getting the motorized zoom lens as close as possible to the same focal length. Turns out summer was shot at 5.1mm and autumn at 5.9mm. I wish the camera LCD review included focal length data. Then it was just slowly swing around adjusting the tripod slightly for horizon and adjusting exposure to balance the light as I went. I ended up with a 2/3 stop shift along the way. For best results in both panos, I made sure the full bridge was centered in one image and the full "island" was centered in another. As a wide angle fan, I love doing all this.

Ed

diane143
Like?

Ed, you may find a splash of spring color as well, you never know!

You've seen my 4 season idea, and I am going to have to step it up a notch I see. I stand in pretty much the same area, but nowhere near as precise as you were for these!

VisionLight
Like?

diane143 wrote:

Ed, you may find a splash of spring color as well, you never know!

You've seen my 4 season idea, and I am going to have to step it up a notch I see. I stand in pretty much the same area, but nowhere near as precise as you were for these!

Diane,

I went back and to re-look at your 4 season idea but didn't find it. Can you post a link?

Being precise just seems to be in my nature without thinking about it. You don't want to know how many people in my life have called me a walking computer. But what's more important is being both creative and enjoying what we create. Details? Close enough usually gets the job done with a lot less fuss. So enjoy.

Ed

diane143
Like?

It was a panorama I had done of a bog in my happy place. I'm sure I posted it here but having a hard time finding it at the moment!

MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,795Gear list
Like?

diane143 wrote:

It was a panorama I had done of a bog in my happy place. I'm sure I posted it here but having a hard time finding it at the moment!

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52357326

Here are your shots. No panorama though.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
diane143
Like?
In reply to MarioV, 9 months ago

Thanks Mario. That's the place. I did two panoramas with the SX50. It's possible I didn't post them

diane143
Like?

I found it. It was called "Sundays hike" and I posted one of the panoramas in it. I'll make a new post, but they are nowhere near as nice as Visions!

Monicakm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,280
Like?
In reply to evancj, 9 months ago

evancj wrote:

Excellent presentation of a beautiful landscape Ed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My question is how did you mark the exact location of the point of view, and how will you find it under a foot of snow when you take the winter shot. It looks like you could overlay both images and they would match up perfectly.

Well done Ed. Cant wait to see the finished product.

I knew if I kept reading someone would ask this question.  It's amazing how well you managed to do this Ed!  Kudos!  Are you doing the HQ Burst (I think) method of shooting panos?

-- hide signature --

Monica/SX50

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads