Fuji Fast Zooms in the works and.....

Started Oct 25, 2013 | Discussions
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?
Fuji Fast Zooms in the works and.....
Oct 25, 2013

I was at PhotoPlus Expo in New York today and spent some quality time in the Fuji booth with the reps, including Greg, one of the Fuji guys. Similar to last year the reps were friendly, unlike the Nikon reps that have always been a bit snotty and elitist every year I went (starting in 2004).

I learned that Fuji is working on their new lens road map and there will be more lenses coming, in addition to the 10-24 and 56mm. The roadmap may not be published until early 2014, no date was given but some good news is in the works. The unofficial word is that a fast, f/2.8 constant aperture, mid-range zoom and longer zoom is planned. I am happy with my 55-200 and no real desire for a big f/2.8 but a f/2.8 mid-range zoom would be very welcome since 50mm f/2.8 would make a decent portrait lens. I got the impression that the range would not be identical to the current zooms, the long zooms but nevertheless this is all good. But wait, there's more!!!

Going forward some of the new lens designs will have weather proofing or environmental seals of some type!!! I got the impression that there will be more than just those to lenses. I did specifically ask if a long telephoto prime, like a 85-105 f/2 or f/2.8 was in the works. My impression was that those are not in the mix at this time - but of course nothing is official so take all this with a grain of salt.

They are working on a new organic sensor but it is not close to being finished and they are still working out some problems. So I do not expect a X-Pro2 with an organic sensor to be shipping the first half of 2014. My guess, and it is just a guess, is 2015. So for anyone holding out for that leap in technology it is still a bit off.

I could not get any info at all on the X-Pro2 but no reason to think that line is shelved. I also asked why the EX2 not a updated X-Pro2 first, but one seemed to know anything. Let's hope it is more of a revolution than an evolution like the XE2.

Regarding FF. yes, there is talk, same answer I got last year, but if that happens it is more likely at least 1 - 2 years off. I was told that they are more concerned with making the APS format the best there is by focusing on quality sensors. I was told they are not that interested in competing on pixel count, but on pixel quality - which I personally prefer. Better DR and ISO is more a priority than larger files. Exactly what I wanted to hear. Unlike Nikon who's current line includes 3 APS bodies with 24mp and a $99 kit lens, Fuji seems focused on having the best glass and best sensor.

Lastly, I told them my story, shot Nikon for years, bought Fuji, sold all my Nikon... They said they hear stories like that everyday and never tire of hearing them.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bernie Ess
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,928Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji Fast Zooms in the works and.....
In reply to Al Valentino, Oct 25, 2013

Nice story. If they manage - even without the organic sensor - to further increase dynamic range and improve the general look of the images even more, this is what I also want most.

I am close to sell everything else but my Fuji X system and maybe my old S5pro (for flash). It is not perfect, but the qualities it has are so nice that I feel little need to try out other stuff, even not so much the Sony A7r (although I might get interested once the cameras and lenses are real).

But I hope that they will bring that 56/1,2 a little faster. I do not understand why they delay such an important (portrait) lens so long!

Bernie

-- hide signature --

'All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.' (Elliot Erwitt)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jeff Charles
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,272Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Oct 25, 2013

Al Valentino wrote:

I learned that Fuji is working on their new lens road map and there will be more lenses coming, in addition to the 10-24 and 56mm. The roadmap may not be published until early 2014, no date was given but some good news is in the works. The unofficial word is that a fast, f/2.8 constant aperture, mid-range zoom and longer zoom is planned.

That is good news. An f/2.8 70-200 FOV-equivalent lens would be a nice addition. It would be about a 50-135 on APS-C.

I am happy with my 55-200 and no real desire for a big f/2.8...

The Pentax 50-135 f/2.8 (75-203 equivalent) is only about 20% heavier than the 55-200. Less focal length and a little more weight, in trade for a bigger, fixed aperture.

Going forward some of the new lens designs will have weather proofing or environmental seals of some type!!!

How will that help with non-weather-sealed bodies, unless those are coming too?

I was told that they are more concerned with making the APS format the best there is by focusing on quality sensors.

Good.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Look it up. It's science." Skinny Pete

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Dennis2958
Regular MemberPosts: 496Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Oct 26, 2013

Lastly, I told them my story, shot Nikon for years, bought Fuji, sold all my Nikon... They said they hear stories like that everyday and never tire of hearing them.

I have shot Nikon since late 60's and have made a move towards Fuji X with the X Pro 1 and a couple of lenses.  I sold off one of my D800s and a bunch of lenses and will probably go 100% to Fuji sometime in the next year or two at the latest.

Interesting post................

Dennis2958's gear list:Dennis2958's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Travelshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,464Gear list
Like?

A longer (than 200mm) fast zoom would be a problem for me.  I would have to go back to Kenya/Tanzania to check it out...     oh yeah!

-- hide signature --

www.MartinDareff.com

Travelshooter's gear list:Travelshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +12 more
Al Valentino
Like?
In reply to Jeff Charles, Oct 26, 2013

Jeff Charles wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

I learned that Fuji is working on their new lens road map and there will be more lenses coming, in addition to the 10-24 and 56mm. The roadmap may not be published until early 2014, no date was given but some good news is in the works. The unofficial word is that a fast, f/2.8 constant aperture, mid-range zoom and longer zoom is planned.

That is good news. An f/2.8 70-200 FOV-equivalent lens would be a nice addition. It would be about a 50-135 on APS-C.

I am happy with my 55-200 and no real desire for a big f/2.8...

The Pentax 50-135 f/2.8 (75-203 equivalent) is only about 20% heavier than the 55-200. Less focal length and a little more weight, in trade for a bigger, fixed aperture.

Going forward some of the new lens designs will have weather proofing or environmental seals of some type!!!

How will that help with non-weather-sealed bodies, unless those are coming too?

I was told that they are more concerned with making the APS format the best there is by focusing on quality sensors.

Good.

-- hide signature --

Jeff

It could indeed be a 50-135 f/2.8 since that would seem to balance better on a small camera. However, I suspect it will be closer to a 70-200 f/2.8 because as I was told this I mentioned that about six months ago I saw a picture from a slide presentation from Fuji that included a 70-200 f/2.8 and wondered what that was. The response to my comment was silence with a little smile. But nothing is firm but will be announced in the next road map. No date was given for the release of the new road map but my guess, and it is just a guess, is early 2014

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
vkphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,626
Like?

Hi Al,

any news about future FW for X-Pro/XE?

Thanks

-- hide signature --
Al Valentino
Like?
In reply to vkphoto, Oct 26, 2013

vkphoto wrote:

Hi Al,

any news about future FW for X-Pro/XE?

Thanks

-- hide signature --

No news but I did not ask. I suspect it will happen but not before the XE2 ships.

-- hide signature --

svx94
Senior MemberPosts: 2,289Gear list
Like?

Al Valentino wrote:

... Unlike Nikon who's current line includes 3 APS bodies with 24mp and a $99 kit lens, Fuji seems focused on having the best glass and best sensor...
-- hide signature --

Nicely put! Exactly what I want to hear as well.

I do prefer a tilt LCD on high-end X body.

svx94's gear list:svx94's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 4500 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +9 more
Jeff Charles
Like?

Al Valentino wrote:

It could indeed be a 50-135 f/2.8 since that would seem to balance better on a small camera. However, I suspect it will be closer to a 70-200 f/2.8 because as I was told this I mentioned that about six months ago I saw a picture from a slide presentation from Fuji that included a 70-200 f/2.8 and wondered what that was.

Current 70-200 f/2.8 lenses with stabilization are all close to 1500 grams. For comparison, the 55-200 weights 580g. We'll find out what Fuji is going to offer soon enough, but a 70-200 f/2.8 would a bigger and heavier lens than I'd want to use on an X camera.

-- hide signature --

Jeff

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Al Valentino
Like?

Jeff Charles wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

It could indeed be a 50-135 f/2.8 since that would seem to balance better on a small camera. However, I suspect it will be closer to a 70-200 f/2.8 because as I was told this I mentioned that about six months ago I saw a picture from a slide presentation from Fuji that included a 70-200 f/2.8 and wondered what that was.

Current 70-200 f/2.8 lenses with stabilization are all close to 1500 grams. For comparison, the 55-200 weights 580g. We'll find out what Fuji is going to offer soon enough, but a 70-200 f/2.8 would a bigger and heavier lens than I'd want to use on an X camera.

-- hide signature --

Jeff

No question a 70-200 f/2.8 is a beast as I have owned one for 8 years. I can envision a 70-210 f/2.8 lens with a tripod collar and and a 1.4x and 2.0 TC for wildlife use, along with weather seals. That could be a game changer for some that keep a DSLR for the occasional wildlife shoot. But. I am just guessing.

-- hide signature --

Christof21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,199
Like?

Al Valentino wrote:

I was at PhotoPlus Expo in New York today and spent some quality time in the Fuji booth with the reps, including Greg, one of the Fuji guys. Similar to last year the reps were friendly, unlike the Nikon reps that have always been a bit snotty and elitist every year I went (starting in 2004).

I learned that Fuji is working on their new lens road map and there will be more lenses coming, in addition to the 10-24 and 56mm. The roadmap may not be published until early 2014, no date was given but some good news is in the works. The unofficial word is that a fast, f/2.8 constant aperture, mid-range zoom and longer zoom is planned. I am happy with my 55-200 and no real desire for a big f/2.8 but a f/2.8 mid-range zoom would be very welcome since 50mm f/2.8 would make a decent portrait lens. I got the impression that the range would not be identical to the current zooms, the long zooms but nevertheless this is all good. But wait, there's more!!!

Going forward some of the new lens designs will have weather proofing or environmental seals of some type!!! I got the impression that there will be more than just those to lenses. I did specifically ask if a long telephoto prime, like a 85-105 f/2 or f/2.8 was in the works. My impression was that those are not in the mix at this time - but of course nothing is official so take all this with a grain of salt.

They are working on a new organic sensor but it is not close to being finished and they are still working out some problems. So I do not expect a X-Pro2 with an organic sensor to be shipping the first half of 2014. My guess, and it is just a guess, is 2015. So for anyone holding out for that leap in technology it is still a bit off.

I could not get any info at all on the X-Pro2 but no reason to think that line is shelved. I also asked why the EX2 not a updated X-Pro2 first, but one seemed to know anything. Let's hope it is more of a revolution than an evolution like the XE2.

Regarding FF. yes, there is talk, same answer I got last year, but if that happens it is more likely at least 1 - 2 years off. I was told that they are more concerned with making the APS format the best there is by focusing on quality sensors. I was told they are not that interested in competing on pixel count, but on pixel quality - which I personally prefer. Better DR and ISO is more a priority than larger files. Exactly what I wanted to hear. Unlike Nikon who's current line includes 3 APS bodies with 24mp and a $99 kit lens, Fuji seems focused on having the best glass and best sensor.

-- hide signature --

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the information.

I am quite interested in the organic sensor. I do hope we can benefit of such a sensor with high DR in the near future. Nonetheless, I know Fuji has worked on it for a long time and till now, it hasn't been released. If this is research, I guess it means that  they could not solve the problems and that they are not 100℅ certain they will beat the CMOS sensor

So far, we don't have a single picture taken with this sensor to make us dream.

I really hope they will succeed in building an organic sensor !

FF sensors have generally higher DR, it is verified with dxomarks. I would not mind if the DR was high enough cause I would not need the extra 1ev that the FF generaly ffers.

It would be another argument to not go FF and validate Fuji strategy.

Al Valentino
Like?
In reply to Christof21, Oct 26, 2013

Christof21 wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

-- hide signature --

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the information.

I am quite interested in the organic sensor. I do hope we can benefit of such a sensor with high DR in the near future. Nonetheless, I know Fuji has worked on it for a long time and till now, it hasn't been released. If this is research, I guess it means that they could not solve the problems and that they are not 100℅ certain they will beat the CMOS sensor

So far, we don't have a single picture taken with this sensor to make us dream.

I really hope they will succeed in building an organic sensor !

FF sensors have generally higher DR, it is verified with dxomarks. I would not mind if the DR was high enough cause I would not need the extra 1ev that the FF generaly ffers.

It would be another argument to not go FF and validate Fuji strategy.

Generally larger pixels of the same generation technology are the best. 24mp FF are bigger than 16 in APS.

The dream sensor is being co-developed with Panasonic. I was told there are still problems to work out so it is far from beta testing. Things are great right now but ideally by 2015 or so we will enter a whole new paradigm with Fuji and Panasonic leading the way. Fuji sensors have always been innovative. I like that they try to lead, not follow!

-- hide signature --

Jorge Ledesma
Regular MemberPosts: 255Gear list
Like?

Great scoop and insights for sure. I'm super pumped for that mid range 2.8 zoom. I didn't read anything on whether it will have IS, I suppose no one knows for sure but that would interesting. In my view the XF18-55 is stunning with its IS as it is.

If you asked me, which I would prefer, I would probably stick my 18-55 but I can see how the wedding guys like Kevin Mullins and others would be all over this, shooting wide open on the long end, that's something. Only time will tell but its great news also that they will have weather seals which only points to an Xpro 2 with seal and perhaps an XE3 as well, ouch. Fuji is getting hooooooooooot folks hot I tell ya! Glad I'm on board with the 35 & 18-55.

-- hide signature --

Loving my Fuji XE1 and Ricoh GR

Jorge Ledesma's gear list:Jorge Ledesma's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1
Jeff Charles
Like?

Al Valentino wrote:
No question a 70-200 f/2.8 is a beast as I have owned one for 8 years. I can envision a 70-210 f/2.8 lens with a tripod collar and and a 1.4x and 2.0 TC for wildlife use, along with weather seals. That could be a game changer for some that keep a DSLR for the occasional wildlife shoot. But. I am just guessing.

On FF, a 70-200 is a general purpose lens. Match it with a 24-70, and you cover relatively wide to medium tele, with no gaps. Mounted on APS-C, it seems to me that it becomes more special-purpose, and less versatile. That's why I'd prefer something like a 50-135 from Fuji, to fill out the basic kit.

-- hide signature --

Jeff

Al Valentino
Like?

Jeff Charles wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

On FF, a 70-200 is a general purpose lens. Match it with a 24-70, and you cover relatively wide to medium tele, with no gaps. Mounted on APS-C, it seems to me that it becomes more special-purpose, and less versatile. That's why I'd prefer something like a 50-135 from Fuji, to fill out the basic kit.

-- hide signature --

Jeff

I know what you are saying and you might get your wish. All I know, and this came from a Product Manager, is two constant aperture f/2.8 zoom lenses are planned and will be added to the next lens roadmap and will have similar range but not identical range. I believe these will have environmental seals so they will be premium, and likely expensive, lenses. Possibly, designed for both FF and APS Fuji bodies which would ideally match what you described. Of course those would also be bigger and heavier. I would guess they would have OS as well since all the other Fuji zooms have that.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

gerard boulanger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,262Gear list
Like?

Thank you for the time you spent and your report.  However, Greg or any other Fuji reps are trained to calibrate their answer from question asked by the public.

They often say: "why not", "maybe", "good idea", if the market wants it", "we are thinking about it", etc.

Having said that I wish what was discussed with you will happen.

gerard boulanger's gear list:gerard boulanger's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Al Valentino
Like?
In reply to gerard boulanger, Oct 27, 2013

gerard boulanger wrote:

Thank you for the time you spent and your report. However, Greg or any other Fuji reps are trained to calibrate their answer from question asked by the public.

They often say: "why not", "maybe", "good idea", if the market wants it", "we are thinking about it", etc.

Having said that I wish what was discussed with you will happen.

In general this is true. but in this case the info about the fast zooms, and seals on some future lenses was volunteered, not a response to a question. Of course nothing is official until its announced. The only sure thing is the next two lenses on the roadmap. Time will tell.

-- hide signature --

PorknWhiskey
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Oct 27, 2013

This may be a previously answered and obvious question but will any existing X series lens be fully compatible with any upcoming FF fuji camera? Not "cropped" on the FF? I'd assume with Fuji's investment put into the X line that it will, but knowing the changes many other lines have between full frame and APC sized sensors (DX vs. FX for example) I have to at least wonder.

Just pre-ordered my first Fuji (X-E2) hoping it will out compete my Nikons.

PorknWhiskey's gear list:PorknWhiskey's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2
Al Valentino
Like?
In reply to PorknWhiskey, Oct 27, 2013

PorknWhiskey wrote:

This may be a previously answered and obvious question but will any existing X series lens be fully compatible with any upcoming FF fuji camera? Not "cropped" on the FF? I'd assume with Fuji's investment put into the X line that it will, but knowing the changes many other lines have between full frame and APC sized sensors (DX vs. FX for example) I have to at least wonder.

Just pre-ordered my first Fuji (X-E2) hoping it will out compete my Nikons.

No. Fuji has stated that the 'current' lenses are for APS format so if they do go FF down the road they will need a new line of lenses. Perhaps some of the new, unreleased lenses may work on both. It could be the possible upcoming fast zooms will be 24-70 and 70-200 for both formats.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads