Panasonic Image App WiFi with NFC on Android explained "hopefully"

Started Oct 24, 2013 | Discussions
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,795Gear list
Like?
Panasonic Image App WiFi with NFC on Android explained "hopefully"
Oct 24, 2013

I have spent the last three days trying to figure out how to make this feature work for me the way I was hoping when I bought my new LF1. I still find that eye-fi easier if you just want all the photos you shoot to end up on your android or iOS device. I will answer eye-fi questions if asked but for now I will stick the Panasonic Image App.

1. If your having trouble, it will rule out issues if you go into the REC settings on your device and reset wifi settings. Yes the reset is in the Rec settings, not the wifi settings. This will get rid of existing connections. I have found that if done correctly with NFC you will not need to have any established connections. If you also have an iPad like I do you can establish connections for that later after you have a knack for NFC.

2. On your android device go the settings/apps/ and find the Image App. Click Clear data, click Clear Cache, and Click Clear Defaults.

Note: if your connecting with NFC you should never have to press the wifi button on the camera. You should also never have to establish a connection with the camera menu.

3. Open the Image app, make sure the blue screen with the hand holding a phone is showing, it also shows Wi-Fi, QR Code, and Cancel at the bottom. If the blue screen is not showing in the app select the three dots at the bottom and select "Set connect dest". One confusing part if you previously established a connection is that app will begin searching for camera. If it continues searching just click cancel.

4. So with the blue screen showing hold the back of the phone up to the NFC icon on your camera. You may have to move the phone around until you hear the beep.

Note: You may hear a harsh beep as if it failed or mild beep with a fail. But if you hear a bright beep the app should start searching and your camera will say tap again to establish a connection. I had a few weird beeps but it worked on the third try. At this point your camera should say under remote control.

5. So from here you can control camera or transfer single or multiple photos. This is pretty self explanatory. So ask if you have questions.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCLF1_WIFI.PDF

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/wireless_functions/index.html

Now here is how to use NFC to transfer a single photo from your camera to your phone.

1. Turn on the camera and display the photo you would like to tranfser.

2. Open the image app again to the blue screen with hand and device. Make sure it stops searching or hit cancel.

3. Touch the devices as before.

Note: The camera will now connect and your image will transfer. From here you can click exit on the app or you can select another photo and click again while still connected and it will transfer.

I will stop here for now. For me the only other function I would likely do is set up a connection to send photos as I record. I have not figured out how to establish with NFC and have only done it by setting up the connection manually through wifi. I will explain that in the next post.

Hope this helps

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/wireless_functions/index.html

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
phazelag
Like?
Connecting to send photos while shooting with the actual camera
In reply to phazelag, Oct 24, 2013

For this you will not use NFC or type in the password.  You will use WPS push from your android device.

1. In your camera menu select wifi.

2. Select new connection.

3. Select Send Images While Recording.

4. Select Smartphone.

5. Select Direct.

6. Select WPS Connection

7. Select WPS (Push Button) Your camera will say PUSH WPS within two minutes.

8. Go to your phone, open up your Image app.

9. Then go to your wireless settings in your phone (not from the image app), select menu and select WPS Push.

Note: From here your phone and camera will connect.  If you're on a home network dont worry about it.  You camera will connect and go back to your home network after your done.

10. Go back to the app and if all went well you should be able to shoot your camera and have the images transfer.

Note:  From now on you can click the wifi button on the camera and select the connection type from your history and open the app and click wifi and select your cameras wifi and it will be done.

Hope this helps, took me three days of experimenting to nail this down mainly because I had made some incorrect assumptions about how I expected this to work.

Z

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joel Halbert
Contributing MemberPosts: 504Gear list
Like?
Re: Connecting to send photos while shooting with the actual camera
In reply to phazelag, Oct 24, 2013

Thanks very much for your helpful explanations. I tried the Image App briefly and noted some of the same behavior you experienced, specifically that I had to connect via WiFi setup and NFC didn't seem to pair up as naturally as I've seen with a pair of Samsung phones.

I was working with the new GX7, but I've also purchased the tiny LF1 (actually C-112, note the corner EVF is the winning theme for me here), so I will play with the NFC set-up on both of them this weekend.

Do you think the camera will pair up with a second phone or tablet after you've established a first connection, and then cooperatively re-establish with the first one again? That is the real benefit of NFC; easy for a friend or family member to get in on the act even though your own device may be the primary one.

Aside from some of the setup confusion, I was happy with the remote viewing and control. The biggest down-side I noticed was the annoying intense blue LED lit up on the back of the GX7 during WiFi connectivity. I couldn't figure out how to turn that off. I'm not sure whether the LF1 has the same LED, and also I want to see whether it activates using NFC-initiated setup.

Anyway, I noticed no one else had yet replied and I wanted to thank you for your efforts to post this.

-- hide signature --

JoelH

Joel Halbert's gear list:Joel Halbert's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +5 more
phazelag
Like?
Re: Connecting to send photos while shooting with the actual camera
In reply to Joel Halbert, Oct 24, 2013

Thanks,

I have set this up on my Android phone and iPad both. I think as long as the Blue connect screen is open on the App screen I think connecting to additional devices should be easy.

I have the LF1 also, but my GX1 and GF3 are using eye-fi cards.

Lobalobo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,840
Like?
Re: Panasonic Image App WiFi with NFC on Android explained "hopefully"
In reply to phazelag, Nov 19, 2013

Thanks so much for these posts; hugely helpful.  The Panasonic manual is essentially worthless on these things, but your instructions are crystal clear.

phazelag
Like?
In reply to Lobalobo, Nov 19, 2013

No problem glad it helped!

pcake
Contributing MemberPosts: 692Gear list
Like?
In reply to phazelag, 11 months ago

my image app does not have an option to clear data. if shows Wi-Fi, QR Code and Cancel, when i go into the app, i clicked every option but didn't see the option to clear anything, and when i click the menu button on my phone, nothing happens

pcake's gear list:pcake's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2
Impulses
Senior MemberPosts: 1,134Gear list
Like?
In reply to pcake, 11 months ago

It's not within the app. To do this go to settings on your phone (the main settings section for the phone itself, should be called Settings in the app drawer, often also accessible from the notification pane), then find Apps/Applications or something similar... Where you'd go to uninstall something. Find your Panasonic app on the list, tap on it, you'll see the clear/data options.

Clearing the cache is usually harmless on any app and can help resolve random issues, you're basically clearing temporary stuff like thumbnails or ads or info that would re-sync etc. When you clear data it's more, you're basically resorting the app to the state it was in when first installed and this will often clear all associated data (not your photos in the case of the Image App tho, kind of an exception to the rule tho).

I haven't used the instant transfer to mobile mode... Though it did take me a while to get used to the dual functionality of NFC... If you pair via NFC while the camera's in playback mode you'll auto transfer the currently displayed photo (I think the connection even drops afterwards?). If you pair while in regular photo capture mode you jump straight into the remote control UI without any auto transfer, you can then go into review mode in the app to transfer photos. Outside of that NFC/Wifi always worked pretty seamlessly for me.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +19 more
Bawph
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?
In reply to phazelag, 9 months ago

I would just like to add my thanks phazelag, for the brilliant explanation to what was a big issue for me.

My TZ60 arrived today and after much head banging and lots of bad language i found your thread and bingo! Brilliant, and explains things so much better than Panasonic's run around.

Onwards & Upwards!!

Thanks again

Gatekeeperdi
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to phazelag, 5 months ago

A really big thank you for your brilliant explanation about using nfc to set up wifi! I'd spent three days on & off trying to sort it using the Panasonic instructions to no avail. Thankfully my trip to the funny farm has been delayed for now having got things sorted now. Maybe you should send your instructions to Panasonic & get them to replace their useless manual with your explanations?! Thanks again.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads