OMD E-M1 vs Sony A-7, What's the Difference?

Started Oct 23, 2013 | Discussions
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,575Gear list
Like?
OMD E-M1 vs Sony A-7, What's the Difference?
Oct 23, 2013

M43 vs FF full-frame. Same size and weight.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#482,487

1. The sensor is 4x bigger.

2. Depth of field is radically different.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Michael Kaufman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,603Gear list
Like?
Re: OMD E-M1 vs Sony A-7, What's the Difference?
In reply to captura, Oct 23, 2013

captura wrote:

When you take the time to add a lens, the size and weight are generally very different. I only mention this because the depth of field is only relevant if you include a lens.

Michael Kaufman's gear list:Michael Kaufman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Banger
Contributing MemberPosts: 583Gear list
Like?

1, OK ..but no big deal with newer technology. IQ probably very close, more dependent on particular lens used rather than anything else.  I suspect Canikon are starting to get worried, particularly Nikon as the Sony is likely using the same D800 (sony) sensor.

2. Sure, paper thin DOF easier if that's where you get your jollies, but most folks are more interested in the benefits of greater DOF with u4/3 & APSc.

3. Body size comparable, but Sony requires 35mm sized lenses, and that is a very big heavy deal, particularly if you want f2.8 or wider lenses.

and ???

Rob

Banger's gear list:Banger's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
stimmer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,138
Like?

Probably subtle things...

.lenses will have to be slower to be small, so depth of field advantage is lost.  Lenses will be very expensive, 1000 bucks at least per lens.  Focusing will be a little slower.

that being said it looks great.  The first real camera from Sony that is worth anything.

captura
Like?
In reply to Banger, Oct 23, 2013

Banger wrote:

1, OK ..but no big deal with newer technology. IQ probably very close, more dependent on particular lens used rather than anything else. I suspect Canikon are starting to get worried, particularly Nikon as the Sony is likely using the same D800 (sony) sensor.

2. Sure, paper thin DOF easier if that's where you get your jollies, but most folks are more interested in the benefits of greater DOF with u4/3 & APSc.

True enough. I thought the DOF with APS-C was a good compromise, but now NEX is dead.

3. Body size comparable, but Sony requires 35mm sized lenses, and that is a very big heavy deal, particularly if you want f2.8 or wider lenses.

The Zeiss EF FF lenses I handled, a 35mm/2.8 and a 50/1.8 were sureprizingly smalll. Longer lenses will be large. Old E-mount APSC lenses still work OK, but only 10mp on A7 and 16 mp on A7r.

and ???

Rob

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
captura
Like?
In reply to Michael Kaufman, Oct 23, 2013

Michael Kaufman wrote:

captura wrote:

When you take the time to add a lens, the size and weight are generally very different. I only mention this because the depth of field is only relevant if you include a lens.

I found it difficult to shoot without a lens.  Although I adapted my Olympus body-cap lens to APS-C and it worked. I suppose that might count as half a lens.

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,159Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, Oct 24, 2013

Focus speed, frame rate - isn't the Sony a bit sluggish?

Current availability of lenses - Sony will take some time to catch up to 4/3 (and no, APS lenses don't count here)

Price of lenses (when available)

IBIS

Size of lenses, especially at the long end - There may be some small E mount primes on the way, but when it comes to reach you can fit in your pocket, it's hard to beat a smaller format.

The A7 may be a better match to old film lenses.

the higher resolution of the Sonys would likely be preferred by landscape shooters who can never get enough detail.

The person thinking about a FF Canikon might well be tempted to give the new Sony more than a casual glance... But there's that lens availability issue. Well, we will see how fast Sony can release a reasonable set of lenses.  More interesting to someone starting from scratch than someone who already has a number of (AF) lenses in another mount

The person with a good deal invested in 4/3 or m43 lenses probably won't be so excited by the A7 as a replacement for their current system.

I think the real news here would be if Nikon or Canon takes note and develops a compact FF mirrorless body with fast accurate AF using existing lenses (even if adapter is needed). Such a camera could well kill off Sony FF mirrorless before it gets off the ground. Fortunately for Sony, Canikon doesn't move that fast.

Biggest market I see for the new Sony is someone already using Sony APS and looking to go to FF

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 5,730Gear list
Like?
Take one look at the 70-200mm F/4 lens for the A7

For a couple short focal lengths the A7 can be small, but for longer focal lengths it becomes as big as other FF cameras. Focus won't be as good either.

I saw this in another forum and it speaks volumes.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#487.392,380.294,ha,t

or this...

http://camerasize.com/compact/#487.395,380.306,ha,t

I'll take the larger grip and better focusing.

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Lab D
Like?
The truth about the A7's large size.

captura wrote:

Banger wrote:

1, OK ..but no big deal with newer technology. IQ probably very close, more dependent on particular lens used rather than anything else. I suspect Canikon are starting to get worried, particularly Nikon as the Sony is likely using the same D800 (sony) sensor.

True enough. I thought the DOF with APS-C was a good compromise, but now NEX is dead.

The Zeiss EF FF lenses I handled, a 35mm/2.8 and a 50/1.8 were sureprizingly smalll. Longer lenses will be large. Old E-mount APSC lenses still work OK, but only 10mp on A7 and 16 mp on A7r.

and ???

Rob

The E-M1 grip is slightly larger than the A7 and I prefer the Canon grips over both. Of course we already know the A7 doesn't focus as fast the E-M1 and can't do what a DSLR can do.

Now about that size....

http://camerasize.com/compact/#487.395,380.306,ha,t

It is too close to other FF cameras that will function better.

Acrill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,427Gear list
Like?
Re: The truth about the A7's large size.
In reply to Lab D, Oct 24, 2013

The E-M1 is a feature-packed flagship model.

The A7 is a bare-bones budget model.

Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,663Gear list
Like?
Something for everybody
In reply to Lab D, Oct 24, 2013

there is no question the A7 isn't going to have the blinding fast focusing (saw a sample video on Youtube to confirm it). Not to mention one of the primary reasons to get an EM1, the IBIS which is like SteadyCam on video and a savior for those of us who are shaky shooters. I see the 7R being the hero with that huge sensor advantage in a small package. Neither are going to make it as a sports shooter camera. I'm sure they will hit their target audience just fine.

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Martin Ocando
Senior MemberPosts: 2,594Gear list
Like?
THIS is the Difference

captura wrote:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#482.366,487.392,ha,t

And this is a 70-200 f:4 compared to an equivalent but faster lens.

-- hide signature --
 Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +7 more
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,159Gear list
Like?
And yet
In reply to Acrill, Oct 24, 2013

for some reason a few people think of the A7 as the E-M1's main competition.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Vlad S
Senior MemberPosts: 3,116Gear list
Like?
Matter of choice

captura wrote:

That is not µ4/3 vs. FF comparison, because E-M1 was not built for sake miniaturization alone. Why not compare A7 with E-M5, or E-PM2, or Panasonic GM1?

http://camerasize.com/compare/#387,487

Vlad

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Lab D
Like?
Re: Something for everybody
In reply to SaltLakeGuy, Oct 24, 2013

SaltLakeGuy wrote:

there is no question the A7 isn't going to have the blinding fast focusing (saw a sample video on Youtube to confirm it). Not to mention one of the primary reasons to get an EM1, the IBIS which is like SteadyCam on video and a savior for those of us who are shaky shooters. I see the 7R being the hero with that huge sensor advantage in a small package. Neither are going to make it as a sports shooter camera. I'm sure they will hit their target audience just fine.

Once I saw the pro-Sony guys admitting right away the A7 won't focus as fast as M43 cameras, I knew it would not be good camera for some. After seeing the 200mm lens, another group is going stop considering it.

btw, I use the EM1 to shoot sports and it does very well.

Paphios
Regular MemberPosts: 395
Like?

The OMD E-M1 has native lenses and is a mature system.  The Sony is a beta test.

Grobb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?

captura wrote:

But the IQ is less than .1x better up to about 3200 ISO (depending on what lens you use), so what is your point? If you shoot primarily in extremely dark environments (over 50% of the time), maybe FF is what you need. If not, m4/3 cameras do very well, especially when used with a flash.

Only if wanting/needing "radically" shallow DOF is important to you. Some people do not care about or want paper thin DOF, they are more concerned about IQ, fast/accurate focus and choice of great lenses, which cost much less than FF high quality lenses, by the way.

3. If you want a camera and lens system that cost less, weighs less, is easier to shoot with and has very similar IQ, m4/3 is what you will choose. If you would rather lug around 2-3 times the weight, and pay 2-3 time the money for approximately the same IQ for the same lens quality/focal lengths, use a FF system.

How hard is that to understand? The GM1/GX7 with the new 15mm, 12-32mm, and 35-100mm lenses would be a very nice/practical 3 lens kit system for what most enthusiasts are interested in using!

-- hide signature --

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional!

Digitall
Regular MemberPosts: 411Gear list
Like?
Re: Now add lenses. (N/T)

(N/T)

Zenjitsuman
Regular MemberPosts: 442
Like?
In reply to Grobb, Oct 24, 2013

If you can use your M4/3 for tele lenses, size and weight advantage in reach is in M4/3 favor.

For 35mm and 50mm and wide angle, manual focus FF lenses especially Leica M lenses are tiny.

For wide angle you can get some nice Canon FDn 24mm f2 lenses which is a 12mm on M4/3

and a 16mm on APS-c.  Good 16mm and 12mm f2 lenses are kind of expensive and I got my

like new Canon Fdn for about $275 a year ago.

Only thing is you have to lug you M4/3 around, its not so bad he-he.

Optech makes a reporters camera strap that can hold 2 cameras I think that the above solves

the problem of the large FF lenses, M4/3 definitely has its place especially with IBIS for tele lenses.

CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,878
Like?
Re: THIS is the Difference
In reply to Martin Ocando, Oct 24, 2013

Martin Ocando wrote:

captura wrote:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#482.366,487.392,ha,t

And this is a 70-200 f:4 compared to an equivalent but faster lens.

-- hide signature --

We don't even need to go into size difference. If someone doesn't recognize the overall difference in usability, controls, and quite probably durability, then let them choose based strictly on sensor size and body size.

-- hide signature --

If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads