Canon 70D vs 6D

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Michaelgunawan94
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Canon 70D vs 6D
11 months ago

Greetings to everyone

I am new to this forum and I would like to ask a very important question that might affect my photography output in the future.

I just bought a Canon 70D and I loved it. Until... A birthday dinner invitation came and I was asked to be the photographer. It looked good on the LCD screen on the 70d, but when I got it back on my Macbook Pro with Retina Display, it was full of noise and full of blurs.

I used the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 and EF 17-40 f/4L. I was aware of the low light conditions and I regretted the results I had.

Now, I have a choice to exchange the Canon EOS 70D to the Canon EOS 6D.

Is the 6D worth the $750 upgrade from the Canon 70D to the 6D? Is the image quality that different?

I would really appreciate if anyone could give me suggestions about what I should do.

Should I exchange it? Or should I keep my 70D with the crappy low-light photos? Or maybe you had a different experience when using the 70D?

Michael Thomas Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,537
Like?
Re: Canon 70D vs 6D
In reply to Michaelgunawan94, 11 months ago

Michaelgunawan94 wrote:

Greetings to everyone

I am new to this forum and I would like to ask a very important question that might affect my photography output in the future.

I just bought a Canon 70D and I loved it. Until... A birthday dinner invitation came and I was asked to be the photographer. It looked good on the LCD screen on the 70d, but when I got it back on my Macbook Pro with Retina Display, it was full of noise and full of blurs.

I used the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 and EF 17-40 f/4L. I was aware of the low light conditions and I regretted the results I had.

Now, I have a choice to exchange the Canon EOS 70D to the Canon EOS 6D.

Is the 6D worth the $750 upgrade from the Canon 70D to the 6D? Is the image quality that different?

I would really appreciate if anyone could give me suggestions about what I should do.

Should I exchange it? Or should I keep my 70D with the crappy low-light photos? Or maybe you had a different experience when using the 70D?

There's really not enough information here to give you solid help. A sample pictures, or at least some camera settings (shutter, aperture, ISO) would be helpful.

But two things you say offer clues. First, that you knew it was low light conditions. Second, that your pictures were blurred. That tells me two things: 1) you didn't use flash, and 2) you were likely using an "auto everything" mode that jacked up the ISO and slowed down the shutter as best it could to get a proper exposure. Quite simply, your shutter speed was likely too slow. And although the 6D might have provided an extra stop or two, it still wouldn't be the best way of solving your problem. And spending $750 for a halfway fix would be a waste.

First, you need to get a firm grasp of what your gear can do and how it does it. My own personal answer to shooting a party in low light would NOT have been auto mode and high ISOs. Those situations are what FLASH is meant for. Don't like the look of flash? Neither do I. And that's why I use off-camera light, bounced when possible, for a very natural look that doesn't look like flash.

Now here is where it gets interesting: the 70D has a flash where the 6D does not. That pop-up flash... in times past used to be pretty worthless. But these days, it can be used to trigger an off-camera flash without any other special equipment. You can even use the pop-up for adding a little OR disable it entirely. And the off-camera flash... an inexpensive Youngnuo 565EX (about $100 from Amazon) will do the trick just fine. Ten years ago, to have that sort of capability, we'd have to have a PAIR of expensive Canon 550EX units (about $500 EACH).

I love my 6D. Wonderful camera. But it doesn't solve every photo problem I encounter. And sometimes, my 60D is even preferrable for exactly the capability I just described. You can throw a LOT more money at this thing and get slightly better, but still undesirable results... or you can spend a hundred dollars on a very good and versatile flash and really LEARN just how capable your state-of-the-art camera really is.

Best of luck

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Abu Mahendra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,284Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 70D vs 6D
In reply to Michael Thomas Mitchell, 11 months ago

F4 lens for nightime shooting. Bad move. On APS-C sensor cameras you are going to need at least f2 and to make dead certain yo expose correctly.

the iso performance of the 6d is at least 2 stops better than the 70d.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,261Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 70D vs 6D
In reply to Michaelgunawan94, 11 months ago

The low light advantage comes with thinner DOF.  Sorry but you do not get the same DOF + faster shutter speeds and better low light advantage all in one.

17-40L on a crop is somewhat pointless...no IS (not that I'm a big fan of IS but at f4 and no IS in low light that is just pointless).

 Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,971Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 70D vs 6D
In reply to Michaelgunawan94, 11 months ago

Not surprised as APS-C 70D still has noticeable more noises in high ISO and would require higher shutter with lenses w/o 'IS'.  Even on still subject, the min shutter will be 1 / <focus_length * <crop_format>.

It really depends on what you shoot.  In low light or such events, 6D wins easily.  But 70D will win in outdoor sports if your lens is not long enough and shoot faster although with 6D you still can capture action photos (and we have seen many).  70D dual-pixel PDAF also works very well in video AF while basically you need to ML with 6D in video.

 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Andreas M
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 70D vs 6D
In reply to Michaelgunawan94, 11 months ago

As noted earlier, IF bounced flash is an acceptable alternative, there is no need whatsoever to exchange for a more expensive body.

Another possibility: a relatively cheap Canon 35mm F2 lens that a) allows you to shoot wide open/in burst mode in low light without flash with reasonably good results b) is more versatile in close quarters than a 50mm on a crop body. That is my solution with my old Xsi (max ISO 1600). Works OK most of the time, but I do get motion blur if there is significant subject motion (hands, usually).

As noted by others, shooting wide open at low shutter speeds has obvious downsides: you can/should try out various F stop/shutter speed/ISO combinations with your current equipment to understand what works and what doesn't. One notable test: how high an ISO gives you acceptable results indoors?  Besides general education, testing may lead you to a reasonable decision on your next move.

I have the same F4 zoom lens that you have, and it is only reasonable to use it indoors without flash IF there's bright sunlight streaming through large window

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
chris1952
Regular MemberPosts: 200Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 70D vs 6D
In reply to Michael Thomas Mitchell, 11 months ago

good answer. Problem is likely with the photographer and not the camera.

 chris1952's gear list:chris1952's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dirkluchtman
Contributing MemberPosts: 529
Like?
Re: Canon 70D vs 6D
In reply to Michaelgunawan94, 11 months ago

The 6D is a great low light camera, with class leading high ISO performance (comes close to IDX) and a very sensitive central focus point. However, you will not have as quick focus in live view or continuous autofocus in video.

The full frame sensor will not just give better low light performance, it will also have much better dynamic range, tonality and per pixel sharpness. I do not think you would regret the upgrade.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
victorian squid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,953Gear list
Like?
+1 on MTM
In reply to Michael Thomas Mitchell, 11 months ago

I too have a 60D and a 6D, agree with everything he says.

I even have a Yongnuo 565ex (as well as a 420ex and 600ex-rt) and honestly, a flash will change everything once you've learned the basics. I can't imagine not having one (or more) indoors or out. If you can swing it, get a 430ex II, if not - the Yongnuos are almost free now.

The thing I miss most on the 6D is the optical trigger - I have to make sure I've got my radio triggers for off camera flash. I never once used the pop-up flash as a flash on the 60D.

You've got an incredible piece of technology with the 70D, learn the ins and outs and basics and in a few weeks you'll be able to take the exact same shots and wonder why you were asking this question in the first place!

 victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 12,719Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 70D vs 6D
In reply to dirkluchtman, 11 months ago

dirkluchtman wrote:

The 6D is a great low light camera, with class leading high ISO performance (comes close to IDX) and a very sensitive central focus point. However, you will not have as quick focus in live view or continuous autofocus in video.

The full frame sensor will not just give better low light performance, it will also have much better dynamic range, tonality and per pixel sharpness. I do not think you would regret the upgrade.

The AF on the 70D is pretty darn good.  that said, you'll find virtually no difference in dynamic range between the FF and aps-c bodies.  Oh, and there is no such thing as "per pixel sharpness."

 Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JohnNewman
Regular MemberPosts: 349Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 70D vs 6D
In reply to chris1952, 11 months ago

chris1952 wrote:

good answer. Problem is likely with the photographer and not the camera.

+1

 JohnNewman's gear list:JohnNewman's gear list
Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bigdaddave
Contributing MemberPosts: 994
Like?
Re: Canon 70D vs 6D
In reply to JohnNewman, 11 months ago

JohnNewman wrote:

chris1952 wrote:

good answer. Problem is likely with the photographer and not the camera.

+1

And if it is the current limitations of the photographer going full frame won't help at all, much better to become familiar with flash and how to use it at events.

The 70D is a phenomenally good and capable camera for the average user, no need to upgrade at this point at all.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JohnNewman
Regular MemberPosts: 349Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 70D vs 6D
In reply to bigdaddave, 11 months ago

bigdaddave wrote:

JohnNewman wrote:

chris1952 wrote:

good answer. Problem is likely with the photographer and not the camera.

+1

And if it is the current limitations of the photographer going full frame won't help at all, much better to become familiar with flash and how to use it at events.

The 70D is a phenomenally good and capable camera for the average user, no need to upgrade at this point at all.

Again +1 and I'm not having a go at the OP as I've had my own problems with low light scenarios. The truth of the matter is that there are very few poor cameras out there these days but an awful lot of inexperienced photographers who think that cameras will take great shots without any great input from the user.

I don't have a 70D but I've used lesser spec'd Canons and other brands and they can all take great shots in optimal conditions but need input for poor lighting and other adverse conditions. So absolutely right - learn how to use flash and make your own light if it's not there in the first place.

John

 JohnNewman's gear list:JohnNewman's gear list
Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bigdaddave
Contributing MemberPosts: 994
Like?
Re: Canon 70D vs 6D
In reply to JohnNewman, 11 months ago

JohnNewman wrote:

bigdaddave wrote:

JohnNewman wrote:

chris1952 wrote:

good answer. Problem is likely with the photographer and not the camera.

+1

And if it is the current limitations of the photographer going full frame won't help at all, much better to become familiar with flash and how to use it at events.

The 70D is a phenomenally good and capable camera for the average user, no need to upgrade at this point at all.

Again +1 and I'm not having a go at the OP as I've had my own problems with low light scenarios. The truth of the matter is that there are very few poor cameras out there these days but an awful lot of inexperienced photographers who think that cameras will take great shots without any great input from the user.

I don't have a 70D but I've used lesser spec'd Canons and other brands and they can all take great shots in optimal conditions but need input for poor lighting and other adverse conditions. So absolutely right - learn how to use flash and make your own light if it's not there in the first place.

John

Yes indeed, we all need to start as newbies, it's far too easy to come to forums like this and have well-meaning but rather anal users tell the OP it's all about the gear and how they must have f1.2 lenses and full frame cameras.

Just go buy a 430EX or EXII or a 550EX/580EX if money allows and learn how to use it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ovlov
Senior MemberPosts: 1,177
Like?
Re: Canon 70D vs 6D
In reply to bigdaddave, 11 months ago

I'd actually say to skip the Canon flash gun and pick up a Yongnuo 565EX or better.  They cost significantly less and do some things the Canon flashes wont.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bigdaddave
Contributing MemberPosts: 994
Like?
Agreed
In reply to ovlov, 11 months ago

ovlov wrote:

I'd actually say to skip the Canon flash gun and pick up a Yongnuo 565EX or better. They cost significantly less and do some things the Canon flashes wont.

Yes, as long as they are properly dedicated.

Canon flash is awkward to learn to use but whwn you do it's the best system IMO

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Andreas M
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
Re: Agreed
In reply to bigdaddave, 11 months ago

There's no disputing that flash would solve his problem, but it does have its downsides:  1) flash is way more intrusive than available light photography however its done and 2) you lose the use of burst mode, which is significant, particularly in photographing children.  Or, in other words, there are no perfect, no-compromise solutions.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bigdaddave
Contributing MemberPosts: 994
Like?
Re: Agreed
In reply to Andreas M, 11 months ago

Andreas M wrote:

There's no disputing that flash would solve his problem, but it does have its downsides: 1) flash is way more intrusive than available light photography however its done and 2) you lose the use of burst mode, which is significant, particularly in photographing children. Or, in other words, there are no perfect, no-compromise solutions.

In the OP's position of being a relative novice the important thing is just to get decent images however he can. The easiest and most consistent way will be to use on-camera flash, not the best but the easiest.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,652
Like?
Do you shoot video?
In reply to Michaelgunawan94, 11 months ago

You could always invest in faster glass.

the 70d is really neat.  I thought about getting one, but if I did, I'd probably use it more than my 5d3 for live view, video, faster AF, etc.  so, I decided not to buy one for fear that I'd like it too much.

if stills are your thing, then full frame is great.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,786Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 70D vs 6D
In reply to Michaelgunawan94, 11 months ago

Michaelgunawan94 wrote:

Greetings to everyone

I am new to this forum and I would like to ask a very important question that might affect my photography output in the future.

I just bought a Canon 70D and I loved it. Until... A birthday dinner invitation came and I was asked to be the photographer. It looked good on the LCD screen on the 70d, but when I got it back on my Macbook Pro with Retina Display, it was full of noise and full of blurs.

This more sounds like you used your new camera in conditions and possibly in ways you hadn't before.  That does not make your 70D "bad", it means  you need more experience in how to photograph in different lighting conditions.  You may have been trying to photograph indoors in dark conditions without flash.  If you are new to SLR photography, use your flash.  It'll work and that's what it's there for.  Providing the light often is better than shooting in poor lighting conditions that leads to dark faces, and dark eye sockets.

I used the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 and EF 17-40 f/4L. I was aware of the low light conditions and I regretted the results I had.

Now, I have a choice to exchange the Canon EOS 70D to the Canon EOS 6D.

Is the 6D worth the $750 upgrade from the Canon 70D to the 6D? Is the image quality that different?

I would really appreciate if anyone could give me suggestions about what I should do.

See above, experience needed not more expensive equipment.

Should I exchange it? Or should I keep my 70D with the crappy low-light photos? Or maybe you had a different experience when using the 70D?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads