Any thoughts on Scott Kelby's switch from Nikon to Canon when it comes to sports photography?

Started Oct 23, 2013 | Discussions
SF_HDV
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
Any thoughts on Scott Kelby's switch from Nikon to Canon when it comes to sports photography?
Oct 23, 2013
-- hide signature --

Gargouille Images

SF_HDV's gear list:SF_HDV's gear list
Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS II USM
Promit
Senior MemberPosts: 1,209Gear list
Like?
Re: Any thoughts on Scott Kelby's switch from Nikon to Canon when it comes to sports photography?
In reply to SF_HDV, Oct 23, 2013

I guess it would be useful if someone could explain to me how Scott Kelby's decisions affect me.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a77 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,238Gear list
Like?
Re: Any thoughts on Scott Kelby's switch from Nikon to Canon when it comes to sports photography?

SF_HDV wrote:

-- hide signature --

Gargouille Images

If a photographer at the level he is marketed to be at does not have a camera sponsor, he needs a new business manager. If he is sponsored, then it is a matter of who offers the best contract.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

SF_HDV
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
In reply to pavi1, Oct 23, 2013

Good point!  Scott is not noted for his photography, but much more for his post-processing expertise, books, etc.  But he has a huge following, so it this a financial or a photographic decision on his part?  This is the essence of my question.

-- hide signature --

Gargouille Images

SF_HDV's gear list:SF_HDV's gear list
Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS II USM
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,336
Like?
Nope! Not a one!

People use what works best for them, especially people who earn their living in photography.  It doesn't really say anything about the gear.  I might be more surprised if Kelby switched to PSP or ACDSee, but even then, the gear, either soft or hard, is mostly irrelevant.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7267302@N03/

nick101
Contributing MemberPosts: 679Gear list
Like?
Re: Nope! Not a one!
In reply to Glen Barrington, Oct 23, 2013

Glen Barrington wrote:

People use what works best for them, especially people who earn their living in photography.  It doesn't really say anything about the gear.  I might be more surprised if Kelby switched to PSP or ACDSee, but even then, the gear, either soft or hard, is mostly irrelevant.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7267302@N03/

Strikes me as similar to discussing why guitarist x switched from Gibson to Fender (or t'other way round):

- If you're convinced that one brand is "best", and that you should only use the "best" brand, it's really, really important

- If you believe that it's the player, not the instrument, then it's interesting but not so important

nick101's gear list:nick101's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
pavi1
Like?
In reply to nick101, Oct 23, 2013

nick101 wrote:

- If you believe that it's the player, not the instrument, then it's interesting but not so important

Eric Clapton, Stratocaster $4,300, Squire Strat $99. Guess which one he uses?

Home Depot table saw $549, Powermatic table saw $4,000 plus. Guess which one fine cabinet builders use?

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

JamesRL
Senior MemberPosts: 2,339Gear list
Like?

I would guess it would be a financial consideration, whether he gets paid a fee, or at a minimum gets free equipment and gets to preview new models before the public.

But it doesn't affect me in any way. I'm sure he can make good images with either brand. Neither brand is omnipotent, both lineups have strengths and weaknesses.

JamesRL's gear list:JamesRL's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
Bright Angel
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,689
Like?
A T Shirt Colour Change ??

Does it mean, he'll change from black to white T shirts, to cover up his man boobs ?

Apart from that info, I couldn't give a Flipping hecK (or the shorter 4 letter version).

-- hide signature --

www.MarkSykesPhotography.co.uk

RhysM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,822
Like?

Simple, they decided to pay him more to use their gear than Nikon were.

Ahender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,554
Like?

pavi1 wrote:

nick101 wrote:

Home Depot table saw $549, Powermatic table saw $4,000 plus. Guess which one fine cabinet builders use?

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

It's funny how people downplay the importance of quality equipment.  It's always "he could have done that with a Brownie camera."

People who want the best result buy the best equipment.

GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?
In reply to Promit, Oct 23, 2013

I guess it would be useful if someone could explain to me how Scott Kelby's decisions affect me.

It would also be useful to explain just who Scott Kelly is and why I should care what he uses.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +40 more
nick101
Like?

pavi1 wrote:

nick101 wrote:

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

That's a totally different comparison. Kelby didn't swap froma pro Nikon to an entry level one. He swapped brand.

The equivalent is EC shifting from Strat to Les Paul, not EC shifting from top Strat to beginner Strat.

You will know, naturally, that EC went from Gibson to Fender in the late 60's - does that mean that Fender guitars were better? Or that he liked them more?

Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
nick101
Like?
In reply to GodSpeaks, Oct 23, 2013

GodSpeaks wrote:

It would also be useful to explain just who Scott Kelly is and why I should care what he uses.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

He's a writer of phto stuff, and you don't have to.

Paul Farace
Contributing MemberPosts: 734Gear list
Like?
If you've read anything from Scott you know about gear!!!
In reply to RhysM, Oct 23, 2013

His landmark books on shooting all say upfront that it doesn't matter whether you use Nikon or Canon or other brands... they're all good and all allow you to do what he is showing in the books... so if he switched from Nikon to Canon that simply tells me he is probably trying to stay current on what Canon is doing these days. I too keep a Nikon SLR in the drawer to keep me bilingual on digital matters!

On a somewhat related point:  our daily newspaper photogs (may they stay employed dear God!) use Canon SLRs, but use Nikon speedlights!  Why??? Because Pocket Wizards need PC contacts and only the Nikon flashes have the venerable PC contact built in!!!

-- hide signature --

Holding a camera, any camera, reduces my blood pressure, calms my nerves, and gives me a sense of opportunity!

Paul Farace's gear list:Paul Farace's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +3 more
joejack951
Senior MemberPosts: 2,399Gear list
Like?

pavi1 wrote:

nick101 wrote:

Horrible examples. Let's pit me, a tone deaf, musically challenged, guitar neophyte against Clapton. He gets the Squire Strat and I get the real one. Who would you rather listen to for an evening of live music?

Who would you rather build your cabinets, some clutz off the street with a Powermatic, or a fine cabinet builder with a Home Depot saw?

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
justmeMN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,697
Like?

I just hope that Ashton Kutcher doesn't switch to Canon. That would be a disaster for Nikon.

Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,416
Like?
Re: If you've read anything from Scott you know about gear!!!
In reply to Paul Farace, Oct 23, 2013

Paul Farace wrote:

On a somewhat related point: our daily newspaper photogs (may they stay employed dear God!) use Canon SLRs, but use Nikon speedlights! Why??? Because Pocket Wizards need PC contacts and only the Nikon flashes have the venerable PC contact built in!!!

My Canon flashes have a PC socket.

Brian A

han47
Regular MemberPosts: 238Gear list
Like?

pavi1 wrote:

nick101 wrote:

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

Hi pavi1,

Clapton on the $99 Squier is still Clapton playing and sounding like Clapton.

I play and own guitars, even expensive ones.
But they don't bring nothing (musicwise) when you can't really play.

I play different guitars for different purposes but my favourit ,no problem, goes everywhere guitar is a mexican build Fender that cost only $600 ten years ago. So much more comfortable then my $5000 Les Paul. But each has their uses and strenghts.

As a photography analogie guitars are a bit like filters maybe, the score played (as photo subject ) is the same, they just color differently.

Anyway, I think it's the person and his craft that has the biggest part in the result.

Ciao, Han

pavi1
Like?
In reply to nick101, Oct 23, 2013

nick101 wrote:

pavi1 wrote:

nick101 wrote:

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

That's a totally different comparison. Kelby didn't swap froma pro Nikon to an entry level one. He swapped brand.

The equivalent is EC shifting from Strat to Les Paul, not EC shifting from top Strat to beginner Strat.

You will know, naturally, that EC went from Gibson to Fender in the late 60's - does that mean that Fender guitars were better? Or that he liked them more?

You totally missed the point. I was responding to nick101 "it's the player, not the instrument" ie cheap vs quality.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads