Tale of two X100s

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
a l b e r t
Senior MemberPosts: 1,273Gear list
Like?
Tale of two X100s
9 months ago

X100s vs X100 Black Limited Edition

Well, not two X100s, but a silver X100s I borrowed from a friend and a black X100 Limited Edition.

Every since the release of fw 2.0 for the X100, I've been having GAS.  While looking for a used X100, I found someone having fire sales of brand new X100 LE's for around US$830.  Naturally, I took it.

The X100 LE's EXIF tells me the lens is made in Feb 2012, so no SAB problem.  Serial number starts with 21P.

I did some comparisons and here is what I found:

- X100 AF is very good with fw 2.0.  X100s PDAF is only faster if it can find some strong vertical contrast.  But I found that in some cases, PDAF actually hampers AF speed as I found the X100s making a full stroke of the AF mechanism while the X100 found the focus without the full stoke movement.  I think Fuji definitely needs some refinement on the PDAF algorithm.  I don't know whether the Phase Detection sensors are horizontal contrast sensitive or vertical contrast sensitive or a combination that spreads across the PDAF area.   Suffice to say, they're definitely not cross-type sensor.

- Focus peaking seems a little different.  X100 shows a stronger highlight even when both cameras have the same settings.  So I found focus peaking a little easier to use on the X100.

- CDAF with both X100 and X100s are not as good as XE-1, which I also have.  XE-1's latest fw allows horizontal contrast detection.  X100 and X100s cannot AF on anything with this type of contrast.  Hence XE-1's AF feels more sure footed on a wide variety of subjects.

- X-Trans definitely has the edge in resolution and noise, even the X100 has only 12MP.  No contest there.  I think it is down to the user preference of X-Trans CFA vs Bayer CFA.  I've no problem with X-Trans CFA with Iridient Developer.

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D3S Fujifilm X-E1 +7 more
Activatedfx
Contributing MemberPosts: 774
Like?
Re: Tale of two X100s
In reply to a l b e r t, 9 months ago

Good comparison! I love my black X100. The IQ compares extremely well with my X-E1, but I have to admit I defer to the X-E1 when I'm going out to take photos. I think the only reason I'm holding onto the X100 is because it is so beautiful!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PrebenR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,548
Like?
In reply to a l b e r t, 9 months ago

a l b e r t wrote:

- X-Trans definitely has the edge in resolution and noise, even the X100 has only 12MP. No contest there. I think it is down to the user preference of X-Trans CFA vs Bayer CFA. I've no problem with X-Trans CFA with Iridient Developer.

Can I ask a question about post processing. As I understand the x100s comes with Silkypix, is that right and does that handle X-trans well? I don't have Mac and Adobe software is only usable for traditional Bayer sensors.

-- hide signature --

Lightwriting with Sigma

a l b e r t
Like?
In reply to Activatedfx, 9 months ago

Activatedfx wrote:

Good comparison! I love my black X100. The IQ compares extremely well with my X-E1, but I have to admit I defer to the X-E1 when I'm going out to take photos. I think the only reason I'm holding onto the X100 is because it is so beautiful!

I have XE-1 and 23 1.4, and that combo definitely has the upper hand in terms of IQ by a wide margin.

But like you said, the black X100 is so beautiful to look at

Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D3S Fujifilm X-E1 +7 more
a l b e r t
Like?
In reply to PrebenR, 9 months ago

PrebenR wrote:

Can I ask a question about post processing. As I understand the x100s comes with Silkypix, is that right and does that handle X-trans well? I don't have Mac and Adobe software is only usable for traditional Bayer sensors.

Played with Silkypix once and I can see that it is not the same demosaic algorithm as the one used in the camera.  Even color balance is different.

I also don't like ACR when it comes to processing X-Trans files.  The image is lacking bite.  Iridient gives crisp foliage, and it produces outputs closely resemble the camera JPEG engine except it has far more details and sharpness.  But I do find the default sharpening of Iridient a bit too strong, so I usually tone it down a bit.  The R-L Deconvolution sharpen filter managed to get you more detail than the traditional Unsharp Mask.

I haven't try LR or C1, so I can't comment on those.

Paul Farace
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?
Free yourselves from pixel peeping!!!
In reply to PrebenR, 9 months ago

I have both the Xpro1 and the LE X100 and yes, the Xpro1 gets more use simply because it has interchangeable lenses. I was in Singapore recently and shot both cameras on alternating days... I don't pixel peep... what does the image say? Not the pixels! The result of my non-scientific studys of the images? Both cameras capture FANTASTIC images... but it is human nature to press our noses into the grass roots and study the ants I guess... And the X100 is very beautiful, on that we agree totally!  But so is virtually every camera... with the exception of Ricohs and some Sonys.

Take your X100 cameras off their altars and USE THEM!!!

-- hide signature --

Holding a camera, any camera, reduces my blood pressure, calms my nerves, and gives me a sense of opportunity!

Paul Farace's gear list:Paul Farace's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads