Best manual fast 50mm prime that performs well on e-mount (with adapter)?

Started Oct 22, 2013 | Discussions
captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,785Gear list
Like?
Re: Best manual fast 50mm prime that performs well on e-mount (with adapter)?
In reply to sean lancaster, Oct 24, 2013

sean lancaster wrote:

captura wrote:

turnstyle wrote:

Vaughn T.Winfree wrote:

I know you are looking for a manual lens.

But for e-mount, I dont know how you could go wrong with the SONY E-50 f1.8 OSS.

The steady shot in low light at f1.8 is really good especially hand held. Just a thought.

Thanks -- main reason is I want the lens to work on both the NEX7, and also the A7/A7r if I wind up going down that path. The E50 will only be useful on the NE7, that's the catch.

I spent about an hour discussing the A7 and A7R with a Sony rep. on Saturday. Who told you the E 50 would not work on the new FF bodies? I happened to have my E 50-1.8 with me and I took a lot of photos with it mounted on the A7. The combo worked perfectly!

I am pretty sure he meant that the E50/1.8 won't fill a full frame sensor without heavy vignetting.

Yes, you must be right. Interestingly, the A7's have a switch for that. The Auto switch position gives you the full picture correction and the Off position gives you the vignetted look. I think, better to use the Off position as you can always crop to your own choice, later.

And sorry for being repetitive, better the A7r because that cam. gives you 16mp effective with the NEX lens. Instead of 10 mp.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,819Gear list
Like?
Zeiss ZM 50mm f2 planar
In reply to turnstyle, Oct 24, 2013

Is my favourite 50, I haven't used it on a NEX yet but it was only wide angles that used to get colour casts.  This is a much better lens that the faster Sonnar 1.5 version.
I also used to use the Contax G 45mm on my NEX 5 and that was awesome.

JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
Albino_BlacMan
Contributing MemberPosts: 952
Like?
This will be correct
In reply to new boyz, Oct 24, 2013

Once this lens hits the shelves this will be the correct answer

turnstyle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571
Like?
Re: This will be correct
In reply to Albino_BlacMan, Oct 25, 2013

Albino_BlacMan wrote:

Once this lens hits the shelves this will be the correct answer

Otus -- 2.13 lb (970 g) -- no can do!  

Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,551Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steven-T, Oct 28, 2013

Steven-T wrote:

Carbon111 wrote:

Steven-T wrote:

NEX-7 + 50Lux-ASPH (current) ==> magenta cast/coloring smearing.

IF I intend to "BUY" any more RF lenses to adapt on A7/A7R, I will wait for more reviews first.

I don't have that issue with the Summicron on the NEX6 at all.

It could be because the rearmost element is much further from the sensor than in the Summilux:

I'll see how it performs on the A7r next month.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards, James
http://carbon111.blogspot.com

My guess is more on NEX7 vs NEX6, not so much Lux vs Cron.

I also have a 35Cron and 50Cron (both current, non-APO 50). At firmware 1.01, both performs clean on C3, "marginal" on NEX-7. The Lux'es are much better. At firmware 1.02, performance of 35Cron, 50Cron, and also Lux'es, flew down the drain on NEX-7, just horrible! My conjecture is: Sony FW 1.02 did something (accidentally) trashing (some) M-lens.

Can you provide pictures that illustrate the change in performance from before and after the FW update?

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,879Gear list
Like?
50mm f2 Summicron M works fine on the NEX-6
In reply to turnstyle, Oct 28, 2013

turnstyle wrote:

I'm a bit concerned as to whether the Leica M-mount 50mm holds up on the NEX.

Did you see the samples here:

http://www.ronscheffler.com/techtalk/?p=224

I was a bit unclear about the Summilux 50mm samples -- for example, Sony's FE seemed better in the corners?

btw, any particular reasons you suggest Summicron rather than Summilux?

fwiw, my expectation is to use the 50mm lens as effective 75 on my NEX7, and 50mm on A7/A7r (or some other full-frame body if somebody makes one).

Worry not.

1982 Leica f2 Summicron-M on a NEX-6, f4

Frankly, I rarely use it - 50mm isn't the most useful focal length for my shooting. I have a 35mm f1.4 pre-aspheric Summilux and 90mm f2.8 Tele-Elmarit, which are more useful.

I think the one bad review about a Leica M lens on the A7 should be given little credence. Let's see how the production cameras handle them.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +11 more
turnstyle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571
Like?
Re: 50mm f2 Summicron M works fine on the NEX-6
In reply to Mel Snyder, Oct 28, 2013

Mel Snyder wrote:

Frankly, I rarely use it - 50mm isn't the most useful focal length for my shooting. I have a 35mm f1.4 pre-aspheric Summilux and 90mm f2.8 Tele-Elmarit, which are more useful.

I think the one bad review about a Leica M lens on the A7 should be given little credence. Let's see how the production cameras handle them.

Thanks, though I'm not sure 50mm Summicron performance carries over to Summilux (also, you can't really tell the sides & corners from that shot).

But here's more worry:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1250122/1#11892992

I'm looking forward to more detailed tests, which I expect should start showing up soon...

sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?
In reply to turnstyle, Oct 28, 2013

If you wanted a new E mount 50mm lens for use on the NEX series, you might well consider the new FE Sony 55mm. It's a stellar performer by the looks of it and you'd be future proofed in the event you one day adopt a full frame FE (like the A7, A7r) camera.

FE lenses will work on NEX cameras. You get all the convenience (AF) and very high performance.

1/4 the price of the Summilux 50 ASPH.

Tuloom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,300
Like?
In reply to sroute, Oct 28, 2013

sroute wrote:

If you wanted a new E mount 50mm lens for use on the NEX series, you might well consider the new FE Sony 55mm. It's a stellar performer by the looks of it and you'd be future proofed in the event you one day adopt a full frame FE (like the A7, A7r) camera.

FE lenses will work on NEX cameras. You get all the convenience (AF) and very high performance.

1/4 the price of the Summilux 50 ASPH.

Agreed. The A7r and the 55 native can be had for the less than the Summibux alone. The new 55 is starting to look like a massive bargain.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads