Who Wants a DA 29 mm f2.0 Limited Lens?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
haziz
Regular MemberPosts: 298
Like?
Who Wants a DA 29 mm f2.0 Limited Lens?
10 months ago

I have the DA 21 mm Limited, I love the lens but sometimes find it a bit too wide. Obviously I can crop, but it is always nice to crop 'in the camera' while composing. I probably would have been happier with a 24 mm lens producing the field of view of a 35 mm lens on 35 mm film.

I recently acquired the DA 40 mm Limited. Very nice, but again maybe just a hair too long.

I find myself hankering for a 29 mm f2.0 lens. Small, and unobtrusive and with "Limited" quality; hence the f2.0 rather than faster. We really need a normal lens for APSc format sensors.

So who else is hankering for a compact DA Limited 29 mm f2.0 lens?

Bob Corson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,238Gear list
Like?
Re: Who Wants a DA 29 mm f2.0 Limited Lens?
In reply to haziz, 10 months ago

Seems to me the 35mm  is pretty darn close to "normal" lens. At least that is what I use for normal and at 52mm equiv it fits the bill perfectly!

-- hide signature --

Bob Corson
To truly see one must open their mind as well as their eyes

Bob Corson's gear list:Bob Corson's gear list
Pentax K-30 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,713Gear list
Like?
 awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
HozicEmir
Contributing MemberPosts: 661
Like?
24mm 1.8 or 2.0 close focus (n/t)
Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?

haziz wrote:

I have the DA 21 mm Limited, I love the lens but sometimes find it a bit too wide. Obviously I can crop, but it is always nice to crop 'in the camera' while composing. I probably would have been happier with a 24 mm lens producing the field of view of a 35 mm lens on 35 mm film.

I recently acquired the DA 40 mm Limited. Very nice, but again maybe just a hair too long.

I find myself hankering for a 29 mm f2.0 lens. Small, and unobtrusive and with "Limited" quality; hence the f2.0 rather than faster. We really need a normal lens for APSc format sensors.

So who else is hankering for a compact DA Limited 29 mm f2.0 lens?

I bought into another system because Pentax has refused to bring a fast standard lens to market. They need to fill that hole in their lens line.

drummercam
Contributing MemberPosts: 514Gear list
Like?
In reply to awaldram, 10 months ago

a pic is worth 1,000 words

drummercam's gear list:drummercam's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,263Gear list
Like?

I gave up asking many years ago.

Here is my post from 5 years ago: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/28315867

when there were rumors of a 30mm f2 or so lens floating around.

Now that Ricoh owns them they have a better chance of coming out with some nice new lenses

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Tyler Monson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,450
Like?
No thank you

I've been using the DA21 since 2007 (on K10, K20, K-5) for more than 90% of my exposures. On occasions when I require wider or narrower view, I have the DA15 and DA40.

I have no qualms about cropping (or merging frames) or anything else in the virtual darkroom—my interest is only in the end result, and I have been very pleased with Pentax.

Having less equipment means better portability and fewer decisions to make—and better images, I believe.

FWIW, I almost never use the maximum aperture on any lens. High speed just means more size and weight.

Stepping off the soapbox now.

The Profligatographer

More Original Refrigerator Art

Here Now, Gone Before Long

UtahManSir
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,571
Like?

Nope, want a DA* (or WR like the DFA 100) 24mm f1.8-2.0

29/28mm is too long.

Lloyd

-- hide signature --

“For every problem there is a solution which is simple, clean and wrong.” Henry Louis Mencken
http://lloydshell.blogspot.com/
http://lloydshell.zenfolio.com/
WSSA #354
http://lloydshell.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v41/p234497562-3.jpg

Bill Robb
Like?
In reply to drummercam, 10 months ago

drummercam wrote:

a pic is worth 1,000 words

I was thinking much the same thing, but the OP did specify compact. The 31/1.8 is a big, heavy horse of a lens. The same thing with an APS-C image circle should be much smaller. For that matter, my A35/2 is about half the size and 1/3 the weight.

But neither are what I consider a fast lens. Something in the 30mm range with an f/1.4 or faster maximum aperture would be nice.

jimrpdx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,879Gear list
Like?
In reply to UtahManSir, 10 months ago

I have the SMC-A 24/2.8 and it's a nice focal length for sure.  Trouble is, I also have a DA16-45 and it defies me to use primes, it's excellent (though a bit slower), focuses close and its modern coating have made a significant difference in many shots.  Each added lens disturbs my dreams -er dream kit, which would now be 16-45, 70, 105 macro and 50-200 for all the rest.

-- hide signature --

Jim in Oregon -- Pentax user, Alpha & m4:3 veteran
talking to myself at http://granitix.blogspot.com

jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 II
timo
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,366
Like?

I have the DA21 but I use the K28/3.5 more. More comfortable with the FOV. It's fine at 3.5 and it's very rare that I hanker after anything faster at that length. 35-40mm is getting a bit close. But's a matter of personal taste, obviously.

-- hide signature --

tim

Gary Martin
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,045Gear list
Like?

I would prefer a weather-proof DA* lens with a modern internal focusing motor. The lack of a weather-sealed prime shorter than 55mm is a serious omission, IMO. Would definitely NOT be cheap, however.

Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +3 more
dwm2020
Forum MemberPosts: 75Gear list
Like?

I started this thread a few months back asking the same thing.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51593473

A 27mm or 28mm seems a bit better since as mentioned the 29mm is a little close to the 31mm. Plus 28mm on crop sensor is close to 43mm on 'FF', which is a nice FOV. I'd also take a 24mm if it came to that.

I would have to agree that a weather sealed DA* would be beneficial in this range, as there are no primes that are wide angle under the 55mm. And it's nice to be able to leave a camera on a tripod for night time lapses without having to worry about weather.

Would be nice to see something appear on the road map.

Dave.

dwm2020's gear list:dwm2020's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +12 more
Tom__Brown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,313Gear list
Like?
Agreed. DA 21L perfect FL for me too. (nt)
In reply to Tyler Monson, 10 months ago
-- hide signature --

-- Tom

Tom__Brown's gear list:Tom__Brown's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax smc DA 14mm F2.8 ED (IF) HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +2 more
Conjure
Regular MemberPosts: 300
Like?
In reply to Gary Martin, 10 months ago

Gary Martin wrote:

I would prefer a weather-proof DA* lens with a modern internal focusing motor. The lack of a weather-sealed prime shorter than 55mm is a serious omission, IMO. Would definitely NOT be cheap, however.

I totally agree. There are only 2 small gaps in the current lineup of special (LTD or SDM or */WR) lenses:

DA 15 ltd
DA 21 ltd
--> DA*26 SDM (WR)
FA 31 ltd
DA 35 macro ltd
DA 40 ltd
FA 43 ltd
--> DFA 50 macro WR
DA*55 SDM (WR)
DA 70 ltd
FA 77 ltd
DFA 100 macro WR
DA* 200 (WR)
DA* 300 (WR)

But the size/weight-advantage of primes is gone if you buy all of them

And the WR-advantage is useless if you have to change prime lenses every minute.

steephill
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,040
Like?
Previous similar lens spec designs

There are the A and M 28mm f2 lenses - fairly small and light but MF only of course. The K version is much bigger and heavier. Then there was the FA*24 f2 - highest grade but not so small. The FA*31 f1.8 has been mentioned but it isn't that size just through malice on the part of Pentax. A re-design might be able to use fewer elements though. There is unlikely to be any size benefit in designing an APS-C specific lens at these focal lengths.

-- hide signature --

Steve
www.pbase.com/steephill

paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,795Gear list
Like?
everybody wants that

Though personally, I'd prefer a 24mm, because I'm not interested in the slow-ass 21.  For me the perfect set of short primes would be 12, 24, and 50.  The 12 can be slow but the other two need to be faster.  The only one I've got is the 50.

-- hide signature --

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -- Ansel

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
Conjure
Regular MemberPosts: 300
Like?
In reply to awaldram, 10 months ago

awaldram wrote:

Wouldn't it clash in sales

Happy Birthday Andrew!

View original size!

Anton

Bill Robb
Like?
In reply to Conjure, 10 months ago

Conjure wrote:

But the size/weight-advantage of primes is gone if you buy all of them

Not really, I can divide up the load a lot easier with primes rather than a couple of fat zooms.

And the WR-advantage is useless if you have to change prime lenses every minute.

This, of course, is not true at all. Not even close.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads