XP1 or XE2

Started Oct 22, 2013 | Discussions
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,893Gear list
Like?
XP1 or XE2
Oct 22, 2013

I've been watching the X series since last December and I'm getting close to adding something to my stable. I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but it's hard to search it out. So I apologize in advance if it's out there.

Basically, I'm torn between the Xpro1 and the XE2. I really liked the optical viewfinder option on the Pro, it's really nice to look through, but is it worth the extra $$$? (For me, it might be.) And when I compared the two in person, I thought the Pro seemed a little more solid, but that's perhaps more of a perception issue.

Is there anything else compelling about the XPro? I like them both, but would like to hear from those who have used or own both.

Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?
Re: XP1 or XE2
In reply to stevo23, Oct 22, 2013

Fujifilm usually announces something around January, so if you can be patient there might be an X-Pro2 announcement then.

Otherwise, the X-E2 is probably significantly better than the X-Pro1. The only benefits of the XP1 are the OVF (which is increasingly marginalized by bigger XF lenses) and the full metal build.

If both had equal internals, I'd choose the XP series, every day of the week, but right now the X-E2 is a step ahead.

I own both the X-Pro1 and X-E1

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stevo23
Like?
In reply to Asylum Photo, Oct 22, 2013

Asylum Photo wrote:

Fujifilm usually announces something around January, so if you can be patient there might be an X-Pro2 announcement then.

Otherwise, the X-E2 is probably significantly better than the X-Pro1. The only benefits of the XP1 are the OVF (which is increasingly marginalized by bigger XF lenses) and the full metal build.

What have they done? I see the processor is different, probably some AF features etc. I'm just curious.

Thanks!

Perry Kivolowitz
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?
In reply to stevo23, Oct 22, 2013

stevo23 wrote:

What have they done? I see the processor is different, probably some AF features etc. I'm just curious.

Thanks!

DPR has a good first look highlighting the differences in the XE-2 here:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/10/18/first-impressions-review-of-fujifilm-x-e2-midrange-mirrorless-ilc?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu

Perry Kivolowitz's gear list:Perry Kivolowitz's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,553
Like?
In reply to Perry Kivolowitz, Oct 22, 2013

If you need an OVF, the decision is simple.

My advice is if you're buying a new camera, buy only when you absolutely need it then, or wait until after a new model is released. We can assume that since the XP1 is coming up on it's 2 year mark combined with the recent release of the XE2 that the XP2 will be announced sometime in the near future. So if your ideal would be an XP1 with all the new features of the XE2, and you can stand to wait 6 months. Wait for the XP2. If you need a camera today and want an OVF, buy an XP1. If the XP2 is announced tomorrow, you can never say you should have waited because you waited as long as you possibly could to buy it. Plus an announcement still means deliveries are a bit off in the future.

stevo23
Like?
In reply to mr moonlight, Oct 22, 2013

mr moonlight wrote:

If you need an OVF, the decision is simple.

My advice is if you're buying a new camera, buy only when you absolutely need it then, or wait until after a new model is released. We can assume that since the XP1 is coming up on it's 2 year mark combined with the recent release of the XE2 that the XP2 will be announced sometime in the near future. So if your ideal would be an XP1 with all the new features of the XE2, and you can stand to wait 6 months. Wait for the XP2. If you need a camera today and want an OVF, buy an XP1. If the XP2 is announced tomorrow, you can never say you should have waited because you waited as long as you possibly could to buy it. Plus an announcement still means deliveries are a bit off in the future.

That's good advice from all. I'll look for that. I suspect an announcement could be fairly soon - it seems like announcement and rumor season lately.

Jim Evidon
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?
Re: XPro-1 or XE2 ? It depends what finder you want.
In reply to stevo23, Oct 23, 2013

stevo23 wrote:

I've been watching the X series since last December and I'm getting close to adding something to my stable. I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but it's hard to search it out. So I apologize in advance if it's out there.

Basically, I'm torn between the Xpro1 and the XE2. I really liked the optical viewfinder option on the Pro, it's really nice to look through, but is it worth the extra $$$? (For me, it might be.) And when I compared the two in person, I thought the Pro seemed a little more solid, but that's perhaps more of a perception issue.

Is there anything else compelling about the XPro? I like them both, but would like to hear from those who have used or own both.

Both cameras have the same sensor. The XE-1 has a superior EVF while the X Pro-1 has a very good one; not as good but still very good. The X Pro-1 is built a little better, but not that much better. Both will give long service after you have grown tired of them and bought the newest model.

There is only one reason to buy the X-Pro-1.That is for the wonderful hybrid finder, and that is why I bought it. I use the OVF most of the time. It is brighter, has no distortion of the image, doesn't block shadow details or burn out highlights, etc. That is because you are looking through glass. The EVF is best for manual focusing, especially with the focus peaking. In very low light, I use the OVF. In very bright sun at certain angles, the frame lines in the OVF tend to fade and in that situation I also use the EVF. Either is accessible with the push of a lever.

Bottom line: Buy the X Pro-1 and get the hybrid finder. If you don't care, save the money and buy the XE-1 or 2.
Jim

Jim Evidon's gear list:Jim Evidon's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm XF1 Leica M9 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +2 more
Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,443Gear list
Like?

Don't be fooled by the OVF. It is great in the X100 where you have one focal length and it is made for it.

I stopped using the OVF since I got the 14mm lens. The longer lenses will be just the same. OVF as nice as it is works only with the 18mm and the 35mm lens.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D +17 more
mjl699
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?

stevo23 wrote:

At this point I would advocate the XE2, and I am an owner of an XP1. Personally I am waiting for the XP2 before I upgrade ... The reason that I would buy the XE2 now if I were buying my first "X" is that the XE2 is all-around faster than the XP1, including faster to focus, and has the split screen manual focus aide (not offered on the XP1). There will also be tons of changes under the skin just making it a little bit better in every way.

The XP1 O/EVF is a great feature and I use it all the time in "street" circumstances, but it does have its drawbacks, like imperfect framing. I have only primes - so I can't comment on the OVF for the zooms, but I imagine that it's pretty useless for anything more than the 60mm lens I do use it for ...

-- hide signature --

mjl599

mjl699's gear list:mjl699's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Leeb1977
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to mjl699, 11 months ago

I purchased the xpro 1, with the free lens offer, so paid £999 for the camera and an 18mm and 35mm lens.

When the xe2 comes down in price in a few months, I'll sell the xpro1 body, and get the xe2, but still have 2 lenses.

Until then very happy with the xpro1, upgraded from the x100, and really glad I did.

VdesmedT
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to stevo23, 11 months ago

I was also looking forward for the OVF but then realised that most of the actual users of both XP1 or X100S were all using the digital finder because it gives better feedback on exposure and depth of field. I then consider buying the X-E2 except if I can find a release date for the XP2 and that it is confirmed it will receive the CMOS II sensor.

Felix11
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?
In reply to stevo23, 11 months ago

I bought the X-Pro1 last week.

One thing I have discovered is that if you wear glasses the 14mm eye point of the X-Pro1 is too short and you cannot completely see all of the info in the view finder (optical and electronic).

If this will affect you get the X-E2 or wait to see if the X-Pro2 has a longer eye-point.

X-Pro1    14mm
X-E1       23mm
X-E2       23mm

X-100     15mm
X-100s    15mm

However, since they improved the eye point on the X-E but not X-Pro1 or X100s then maybe the hybrid viewfinder isn't suited to a longer eye point.

Felix11's gear list:Felix11's gear list
Ricoh GR
WT Jones
Senior MemberPosts: 2,462
Like?
In reply to Felix11, 11 months ago

Felix11 wrote:

One thing I have discovered is that if you wear glasses the 14mm eye point of the X-Pro1 is too short and you cannot completely see all of the info in the view finder (optical and electronic).

Really? I wear glasses & do not find that to be the case at all. Now polarized sunglasses will play hell with the information in the VF but that is true of any camera. At least any I have owned.

-- hide signature --

Warren

bavarius6
Regular MemberPosts: 413
Like?
In reply to Felix11, 11 months ago

Felix11 wrote:

If this will affect you get the X-E2 or wait to see if the X-Pro2 has a longer eye-point.

X-Pro1 14mm
X-E1 23mm
X-E2 23mm

X-100 15mm
X-100s 15mm

However, since they improved the eye point on the X-E but not X-Pro1 or X100s then maybe the hybrid viewfinder isn't suited to a longer eye point.

Same here.  Came from a Pentax K5 which I couldn't use glasses with but since the change I now always wear my glasses when taking photographs, no problems.

Chris G Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
In reply to bavarius6, 11 months ago

My feeling is that as the range of X mount lenses increases the XP OVF makes less and less sense. You end up with all the disadvantages of a rangefinder for no real reason. Personally, I'm holding off to see what becomes of the rumored X system weather sealed body. A more robust version of the X-E2 that sits between it and the XP would be great.

I agree with what others have said thus far: if you want an OVF, grab an X100S. The OVF really makes the most sense in a fixed lens system. The X-E2 with EVF only strikes me as the superior body, at least as far as my approach is concerned.

Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads