A Fantastic Compact

Started 9 months ago | User reviews
brendanE
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
A Fantastic Compact
9 months ago

I bought the XF1 as a Christmas present to myself after losing several Nikon Coolpix in a row. I consider myself a serious amateur, and I wanted a lightweight camera capable of being taken anywhere without weighing me down. I have been extremely impressed with this small but sturdy camera! The menus and buttons are straightforward and easy to understand and use, with just enough options to make the most of all conditions without being overwhelming. The lens gets an incredible range of angles and apertures, from wide landscapes to shallow macros full of bokeh. In terms of RAW image editing, one of my favorite aspects of digital photography, the Silkypix software gives a very nice array of filters and effects in addition to the standard, highly-tunable tools like curves adjustments and color temperature. While the JPEG images are quite nice, the RAWs are where this camera really shines. The one annoying aspect to the camera's design is that the image mode dial tends to get turned while in the process of holding down the focus/shutter button (this could be just the way I happen to hold it). The body of this camera feels very sturdy, and I carry it confidently in my bag while cycling. The vintage travel style with faux-leather grip also makes this one of the best looking cameras on the market.

brendanE's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
acceptable
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
okay
Flash photography (social)
good
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Mr Hyde
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
Re: A Fantastic Compact
In reply to brendanE, 9 months ago

+1; love it. My wife took one to Iceland when we went in July, whilst I took X-Pro 1 and X100s. The XF1 was producing shots not far short of the other cameras, given the right conditions. The XF 1 is a gem; I thoroughly enjoyed using it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alroot
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
In reply to Mr Hyde, 9 months ago

For me, the XF1 is one of the better compacts. Nice design, manual zoom, good sensor, nice color, ease to use....

In fact I Have sold my Fuji X20 becouse I prefer the pockabilty o f this one, getting an secon hand Xf1 and a Xs1 really cheap. I live this last one too. Incredible lenses.

Todd3608
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?
In reply to brendanE, 9 months ago

Interesting that you say the RAW image quality is where this camera shines. Ming Thein in his review says the RAW image quality is worse than the JPEG quality. He even states that the RAW image quality is the worst he has ever seen on any camera.

http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/11/13/fuji-finepix-xf1/

I do agree with you on the XF1 being an awesome camera.  Cannot believe I picked this up like new on ebay for $150...

NIK11
Senior MemberPosts: 2,731
Like?
In reply to Todd3608, 9 months ago

Todd3608 wrote:

Interesting that you say the RAW image quality is where this camera shines. Ming Thein in his review says the RAW image quality is worse than the JPEG quality. He even states that the RAW image quality is the worst he has ever seen on any camera.

I think that's because MT's review used Adobe mk1 EXR RAW conversion which was poor. Later Adobe got a handle on the EXR algorithms with a mk2 version.

Nick

prime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,487
Like?
In reply to Todd3608, 9 months ago

Todd3608 wrote:

http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/11/13/fuji-finepix-xf1/

His point was not invalid, but was phrased inside-out.  If you read carefully, his complaint was not with the camera, but with Adobe; ACR (at least at that time, a year ago) did not handle the Fujifilm RAF format well.

Ask TrevorG in this forum about the Silkypix RAW-processing software that Fujifilm bundles with the XF1.  Maybe Fujifilm -- in light of how badly Adobe did the job -- decided to bundle a third party's RAW software with the XF1 for a reason, you suppose?

In fact, had Ming Thien checked, he would have found that there is another RAW processor built right into the firmware of the XF1 that can process the RAW files the XF1 creates in exactly the manner that they are processed to make the camera's JPEG files (as well as in other ways).

Ergo, the problem was not in the XF1-created RAW file, as Ming Thien implies, but rather in the Adobe software that he was using to process the RAW file.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads