Some shots from a beginner

Started 11 months ago | Photos
Cartwheels MD
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?
Some shots from a beginner
11 months ago

Took some photos today.  C&C is appreciated.  Thanks!

I liked this scene and thought I would play with leading lines.  Obviously the lack of any subject at all is problematic, so for now I will just call it "Desolation" or something.

This barista was making espresso like crazy.  I thought I would play around with this scene and my composition but ended up getting frustrated.  Once I viewed the picture on my computer, I realized I should have been standing to the right of the counter.  C'est la vie.  This was the best of the set.

Cartwheels MD's gear list:Cartwheels MD's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Apple Aperture
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Jim Evidon
Contributing MemberPosts: 505Gear list
Like?
Re: Some shots from a beginner
In reply to Cartwheels MD, 11 months ago

Your own comments say it all. You really need no C&C on these.
Jim

Jim Evidon's gear list:Jim Evidon's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm XF1 Leica M9 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Landsandgrooves
Regular MemberPosts: 119Gear list
Like?

Cartwheels,

The good part is that you are thinking. Photography is like any skill. You have to do it often and a lot to get better at it. Shoot, MOVE, shoot, MOVE. Sideways, up, down, around. Look, see. Stand in one place and just look for a minute. Sometimes the shot will appear if you stop shooting. Sounds strange, but sometimes you just have to BE in the place without shooting to actually see what the shot is.

The technical stuff is just the technical stuff. White walls are blown out, but just learn to use the histogram. Anyone can master the technical stuff. It's the seeing part that many people miss. You are close. Your comments reveal that you understand what you are trying to do.

How do you learn to be a better photographer? Shoot lots of photos. Also, go out with a good photographer, if possible. Watch him or her shoot. Talk with each other while you shoot. Sometimes you can tell what the photographer is thinking by watching him/her move. Shoot, MOVE, shoot. Each move reflects a thought, something seen, something opening up for another angle.

Also, look at really good photos and think about what makes them good. The angle, to be sure. Mostly, it's the light. Hand 10 people a copy of National Geographic magazine and ask them to pick the 10 best photos in that issue. Seven out of ten shots will be sidelit or backlit.

"F/8 and be there" still works. To take a picture of something beautiful or interesting, you have to stand in front of something beautiful or interesting.

-- hide signature --

Tom Gresham

Landsandgrooves's gear list:Landsandgrooves's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 +21 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,425Gear list
Like?

I like the second one, she's not overwhelmed. Well done at 1/10, the moving head in the background works in your favour.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Well done...

I wouldn't say the first image lacks any subject at all - the awning casting a shadow, the convergence of the left and right sides of the frame - are sort of subjects in there own way.  But I understand what you mean.

I like the second image a bit more.  It might have been better to bump the ISO up a bit to get a faster shutter speed than 1/10 which would have allowed you to freeze the movement of the second girl better.  But the composition is solid.  You could try rotating the image counter clockwise by 1% as the baristas are leaning back a bit, but I find the vantage point interesting and the out of focus foreground elements frame the subject well.

Overall good job, well done.

Best, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,446Gear list
Like?

If you don't get any better at it after a few months, you're doing fine.

The main thing, I think, is to cherish the spontaneity and cultivate that feeling of new discovery that is already evident in your work.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Gooutside
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?

Your own assessments mirror my thoughts so you are definitely getting it.  Both shots are great subject matter, just a matter of moving around to find the best angle...something we all have to learn and re-learn.... all part of the fun!

Gooutside's gear list:Gooutside's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
Charles2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,137
Like?

Crop a third off the right side of the first shot and a little off the bottom - a second photograph.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads