XZ-2 - BB King and Robert Cray

Started Oct 19, 2013 | Discussions
Steven Wandy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,849Gear list
Like?
XZ-2 - BB King and Robert Cray
Oct 19, 2013

Saw B.B. King (AMAZING at 88 years young) and Robert Cray last night at the State Theatre, New Brunswick, NJ.

XZ-2. Most shots were taken as OOC Jpegs because I wanted to use the Digital Teleconverter. Brought into Aperture. Small additional amount (beyond the LOW setting in the camera) of Noise Reduction in Aperture on the three BB King shots because apparently they are not allowed to use a spot light on him - as opposed to Robert Cray who was much better lit. Shot a few in RAW+JPEG and even though when cropping the noise result was a bit better, there was a loss of detail.

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
Marla
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,796Gear list
Like?
Re: XZ-2 - BB King and Robert Cray
In reply to Steven Wandy, Oct 19, 2013

Wow! Great shots! BB King looks incredibly good for 88 y/o!

That first shot in aweome! Sharp, fine detail. Consider the lighting that you were dealing with, I'm really amazed.

I recently purchased the XZ-2 but have not had quality time to play around with it. These photos are very encouraging to me.

BTW.....excuse my dumb question coming from my "technically challenged" mind!  But what is the "digital converter" for the XZ-2?

Thanks for posting the photos.

-- hide signature --

Maria

Marla's gear list:Marla's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,408Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marla, Oct 19, 2013

Classics.  I am sure you will treasure that opportunity.

Steven Wandy
Like?
In reply to Marla, Oct 20, 2013

Marla wrote:

Wow! Great shots! BB King looks incredibly good for 88 y/o!

It amazed me also. First time seeing him perform live.

That first shot in aweome! Sharp, fine detail. Consider the lighting that you were dealing with, I'm really amazed.

Lighting for Cray was not as bad because they did use a white spotlight on him. But for King there was no spotlight on him. Only on some of the members of his band when they were soloing.

BTW.....excuse my dumb question coming from my "technically challenged" mind! But what is the "digital converter" for the XZ-2?

It is a selection in one of the menus. You have to set up a button to access it. It basically doubles the focal length of the lens. It does this by cropping the original image (assuming you are shooting JPEG) and then upscales the image to the original image size that you selected. A lot of people will tell you that you can do the same thing in a program like Photoshop afterwards but I feel that the way that Olympus does it in their bodies works great for me.

Thanks for posting the photos.

-- hide signature --

Maria

Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
Steven Wandy
Like?
In reply to Gesture, Oct 20, 2013

Gesture wrote:

Classics. I am sure you will treasure that opportunity.

Thanks Gesture. Was my first time seeing either of them live and was very happy with my seat (about 7 rows from the stage) and the fact that the State Theatre allows cameras as long as they are not "professional" looking cameras (read interchangeable lenses) and no flash.

Marla
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,796Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steven Wandy, Oct 20, 2013

Steven Wandy wrote:

BTW.....excuse my dumb question coming from my "technically challenged" mind! But what is the "digital converter" for the XZ-2?

It is a selection in one of the menus. You have to set up a button to access it. It basically doubles the focal length of the lens. It does this by cropping the original image (assuming you are shooting JPEG) and then upscales the image to the original image size that you selected. A lot of people will tell you that you can do the same thing in a program like Photoshop afterwards but I feel that the way that Olympus does it in their bodies works great for me.

Thank you!  It is interesting - and I'm glad to learn about it.  I'm going to give it a shot!  (pun intended).

Maria

-- hide signature --

Maria

Marla's gear list:Marla's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Aaron Sur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,002
Like?

Fine job mate, especially from a small sensor compact and particularly using digital telephoto.

Aaron

No Regrets
Contributing MemberPosts: 853Gear list
Like?

Excellent shots...I love the expressions you captured on BB! What a great performer he is.
Do you know off hand if this digital converter is on the XZ-1 as well? I'll have too investigate that further...thank you for making me aware of it!

No Regrets's gear list:No Regrets's gear list
Nikon Df Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A
cainn24
Senior MemberPosts: 2,330
Like?

Steven Wandy wrote:

It basically doubles the focal length of the lens. It does this by cropping the original image (assuming you are shooting JPEG) and then upscales the image to the original image size that you selected.

In reality the focal length doesn't change at all.  I know what you mean of course, which is that it effectively halves the fov/aov (via a process of lossy digital zoom) so it is equivalent to an image captured at twice the focal length, but I think we should be careful when explaining things to people who might not know any better.

Anyway, excellent shots, of excellent subjects

Steven Wandy
Like?
In reply to No Regrets, Oct 21, 2013

No Regrets wrote:

Excellent shots...I love the expressions you captured on BB! What a great performer he is.
Do you know off hand if this digital converter is on the XZ-1 as well? I'll have too investigate that further...thank you for making me aware of it!

Don't have the XZ-1 any longer but I am pretty sure that it was on it also. Probably also buried in the menus somewhere.

Steven Wandy
Like?
In reply to Aaron Sur, Oct 21, 2013

Aaron Sur wrote:

Fine job mate, especially from a small sensor compact and particularly using digital telephoto.

Aaron

I have always been impressed with both the XZ-1 and XZ-2 in these circumstances. Good enough to make large prints - nah. But plenty good enough for memories of the concerts and viewing on computer screens.

Thanks Aaron.

No Regrets
Contributing MemberPosts: 853Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steven Wandy, Oct 21, 2013

Thank you Steven. I will investigate further.

No Regrets's gear list:No Regrets's gear list
Nikon Df Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads