X100 - V:2 - Problem - anybody else??

Started Oct 19, 2013 | Discussions
Sutto
Regular MemberPosts: 350
Like?
X100 - V:2 - Problem - anybody else??
Oct 19, 2013

I wrote about this on 'that other site', and got many responses indicating I am not the only one - we could have a real problem here!

I have my same 95m/s card, I have 'info' screen set on the LCD, I have 'eye sensor' set on as usual, and card formatted. When I look into the OVF or EVF and take a photo, it is taken almost immediately, and gives me back my live view in order to take the next photo - no problem here. However - here is the problem - if I take the photo and immediatly pull the camera away from my eye, and wait for the 'info' screen to appear back on the LCD, so I can turn the flash on or change something for my next photo - there is a very long lag (2.5-3 seconds), for it to come on.

Can somebody please try it and tell me it is not so. I do a lot of street photogrpahy and need that instantaneous reaction from the photo being taken, to having my screen clear on the back and ready to change any settings for my next photo. I even have 'image display' turned off so I have no hold-ups, after the photo has been taken. It takes a few long seconds for my 'info' screen to come on - (it is just black) - and by then any new photo opportunity will be long gone.

I even tried doing it by 'feel', because looking through the EVF/OVF, after the photo is taken, it seems to very quickly be ready to take the next photo.  However, if you try to change something by feel, while still looking through the eye-piece (like turn flash on, or go to 6fps or something), you still get that wretched 2.5-3 second delay, as on the LCD screen.  It looks as if it is ready to take the next photo, but will not let you make any changes for that dreaded 3 seconds.   It definitely was not like this on V. 1.3. If we have a general issue here we need to notify Fuji, because this is a real killer.

Thanks

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

montera2
Regular MemberPosts: 238
Like?
Re: X100 - V:2 - Problem - anybody else??
In reply to Sutto, Oct 19, 2013

Yes, unfortunately the lag is there. As you say it varies, in my brief test it was from 1,5 to four seconds, why the variation, have no explanation. For me it's not a problem, I only use OVF or for some dimmer situations the EVF and for both, the image feedback is instantaneous.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Apteryx6
Contributing MemberPosts: 848
Like?

Sutto wrote:

I wrote about this on 'that other site', and got many responses indicating I am not the only one - we could have a real problem here!

I have my same 95m/s card, I have 'info' screen set on the LCD, I have 'eye sensor' set on as usual, and card formatted. When I look into the OVF or EVF and take a photo, it is taken almost immediately, and gives me back my live view in order to take the next photo - no problem here. However - here is the problem - if I take the photo and immediatly pull the camera away from my eye, and wait for the 'info' screen to appear back on the LCD, so I can turn the flash on or change something for my next photo - there is a very long lag (2.5-3 seconds), for it to come on.

Can somebody please try it and tell me it is not so. I do a lot of street photogrpahy and need that instantaneous reaction from the photo being taken, to having my screen clear on the back and ready to change any settings for my next photo. I even have 'image display' turned off so I have no hold-ups, after the photo has been taken. It takes a few long seconds for my 'info' screen to come on - (it is just black) - and by then any new photo opportunity will be long gone.

I even tried doing it by 'feel', because looking through the EVF/OVF, after the photo is taken, it seems to very quickly be ready to take the next photo. However, if you try to change something by feel, while still looking through the eye-piece (like turn flash on, or go to 6fps or something), you still get that wretched 2.5-3 second delay, as on the LCD screen. It looks as if it is ready to take the next photo, but will not let you make any changes for that dreaded 3 seconds. It definitely was not like this on V. 1.3.

It was like that on version 1.0, and has been ever since. You can take another photo while the last one is still writing to the card, but you cannot change any setting until the writing has finished, and never could. Even if you turn the aperture ring or the exposure compensation wheel while the file is writing, the new setting you made will not take effect until after the file is written (and never did).

Incidentally, I knew 2 years ago (and it was discussed here) that if you want to shorten the file writing time as much as possible, you should leave image review on (for a time that covers most or all of the file writing time - for a fast card, 1.5 seconds may be enough). I assume that is still the case.

-- hide signature --

Apteryx

montera2
Regular MemberPosts: 238
Like?
In reply to Apteryx6, Oct 19, 2013

I just tried it, while the "saving" led is blinking, I could change the aperture and the compensation dial and response was immediate in the VF. But I'm only using the VF and it operates the same with or without the image shown after the shot, if I use it, it's for 1,5 sec. only and during those 1,5 sec. you can't see the response but it's there after the image has gone.

Apteryx6
Contributing MemberPosts: 848
Like?
In reply to montera2, Oct 19, 2013

montera2 wrote:

I just tried it, while the "saving" led is blinking, I could change the aperture and the compensation dial and response was immediate in the VF. But I'm only using the VF and it operates the same with or without the image shown after the shot, if I use it, it's for 1,5 sec. only and during those 1,5 sec. you can't see the response but it's there after the image has gone.

You are right, and I think I recall now that it was one of the earlier FW changes (maybe 1.20) that allowed changes using the physical dials to take effect while the file was writing. But still leaving you unable to access the menu or use other controls such as the AF button while it was writing.

-- hide signature --

Apteryx

Activatedfx
Contributing MemberPosts: 820
Like?
In reply to Apteryx6, Oct 19, 2013

It's amazing how people can "find problems" where there are none.

uniball
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?

Sutto wrote:

I'm set up the same way you are.  Shoot r+j. My info screen is available almost immediately if taking one shot. The more fast shots in a row, the longer it takes for the info screen to display. Always been like that to my knowledge.

You are very fortunate to have so many opportunities presented in such short intervals. Candidly, a dslr suits your style of shooting much better than an X100.

Very nice portfolio.

El Chubasco
Regular MemberPosts: 321Gear list
Like?

The X100 has a slow processor  and software does not fix that. You can improve the processor performance but cannot change its architecture. It's like the new iOS using in older phones or using windows 8 in an old computer. It is amazing  what FuJim engineers have done despite the processor limitations of the X100, they have maxed out its potential making it an excellent camera. Miracles are not possible.

Enjoy the improvement and thank Fuji for such great customer support. I am going out today and enjoy my improved X100,

cheers!

El Chubasco's gear list:El Chubasco's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +4 more
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,055Gear list
Like?

About 2  to 3 sec with me

cannot tell if this was faster before ...

Does not bother me anyway it takes much more time to set fifferently the cam either in the Vf or the LCD..

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads