Fuji XE2 vs X100s / Lens help/ Nikon User here !

Started Oct 18, 2013 | Discussions
jenella
Senior MemberPosts: 1,000Gear list
Like?
Fuji XE2 vs X100s / Lens help/ Nikon User here !
Oct 18, 2013

Hello...I am new to Fuji and would love some opinions. I know there is no shortage here!! LOL

I currently have a Nikon D4/D700 and all the best glass. I do a lot of concerts, bands, and slowing way down on my portraits. Need a more casual camera for my family outings and my cadid kid shots.

I just bought the Fuji x100s after reading all the glowing reviews in hopes to have a perfect Little pocket camera for family trips and walk- around. its a decent camera ,it does come with a new learning curve . Im just not wowed by it like I though I would be. I did by a B+W filter and a hood but the hood gets in the way and I get a "turn camera off and then back on" message a lot

Im sure like others I find myself wishing for little more reach at times...then I read about about the release of the Fuji XE-2 and was SUPER excited thinking this was the answer!

I was about to pre-order the body only and add my own lenses. The one that appeals to me most is the 35mm 1.4. ..and the 60...and the.... After adding a couple lenses its $$$$. My question is the IQ of the Fuji x lenses in general .Is it worth the extra money and how does it compare to that of the 23mm fixed (35mm f2.0) in the x100s??? I currently have the Nikon 85 1.4, 14-24, 24-70, 20-200 which are awesome so that's all I have to compare it to. Didn't Nikon and Fuji have a marriage once upon a time with Nikon interchangeable lenses?

I have only had the x100s for a few days and can return it within 14 days. Like i said..its decent but only under the right conditions..its quirky. Sorry If I sound confused...I am! I just dont know if its worth all the investment. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Taken with the x100s..and a little PP in LR

-- hide signature --

"if it ain't broke" Get a new one anyway!

jenella's gear list:jenella's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pcb_dpr
Contributing MemberPosts: 728
Like?
Re: Fuji XE2 vs X100s / Lens help/ Nikon User here !
In reply to jenella, Oct 18, 2013

The digital world if full of compromises, you can't step down from a D4/D700 and all the best lenses for "a more casual camera" without giving up a lot. You say you're "just not wowed by" the X100S, but really the only negatives I'm hearing specifically is reach and a couple of minor handling issues. Nothing about image quality, nothing about AF speed, nothing about controls, nothing major or critical.

The only solution to reach is to crop or use a different camera. The X100S has a fixed 35mm EFL lens. Crop for reach. If that doesn't work, you have to look at smaller-sensor cameras with zooms or interchangeable lens cameras. ILC means more lenses and more money, more complexity, more stuff to carry around. Less casual. The quality of the X-series lenses is pretty outstanding, that only matters if you're willing to give up a smaller/simpler/cheaper X100S for bigger/heavier/pricier/more-complex XE2.

A couple of minor handling issues on the X100S should be no big deal.

The hood doesn't "get in the way" unless you're shooting with the OVF, use the EVF and that problem is solved. There are hood solutions that don't intrude into the OVF as much if you love the OVF. If you love the OVF, only the X-Pro 1 gives you that in an ILC. Body, lenses, money, size, weight.

You're getting "turn on/turn off" messages because whatever hood/filter combo you're using lets the lens hit the filter. Figure that out and fix it, you should be good to go.

If those are your only problems, sounds like you have a winner. If there's more, we can't help unless you get a little more specific. Hard to figure out what might wow you better without a better understanding of what's not.

jenella wrote:

...I currently have a Nikon D4/D700 and all the best glass...Need a more casual camera for my family outings and my cadid kid shots...just bought the Fuji x100s...just not wowed by it like I though I would be. I did by a B+W filter and a hood but the hood gets in the way and I get a "turn camera off and then back on" message...find myself wishing for little more reach at times...then I read about about the release of the Fuji XE-2 and was SUPER excited...After adding a couple lenses its $$$$. My question is the IQ of the Fuji x lenses in general. Is it worth the extra money and how does it compare to that of the 23mm fixed (35mm f2.0) in the x100s???...I have only had the x100s for a few days and can return it within 14 days. Like i said..its decent but only under the right conditions..its quirky. Sorry If I sound confused...I am!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,301Gear list
Like?

Your Nikon D4 and D700 are Full Frame cameras. The sensor size does make a difference Fuji is like your Nikon DX.

It would make more sense I think to compare your Nikon camera and lens to the Sony RX-100 I think is the correct model that is full frame compact. Compare the new Sony Full Frame mirror less.

Compare Nikon, Canon and Fuji APC to each other.

Micro Four Thirds is Panasonic/Olympus which is also a compact mirrorless camera with a smaller sensor, but they have nice fast glass lenses too.

I am not so sure you can compare FF to APC Nikon etc.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Kali108
Regular MemberPosts: 267
Like?

OP...honestly, my initial reaction to your post was: "I don't think Fuji mirror less is for you".  Why? Because I don't see how the XE2 has any huge wow factor over the X100s, which you seem pretty ho-hum about.  That said, it definitely took me a few weeks to get "my head around" my XP1, quirky indeed coming from a dslr.  Nowthe XP1 is my go-to camera 80% of the time.  My D800 with top of the line Zeiss and Nikon glass doesn't see much use.  I use my Mamiya RZ67 as much as my D800 now.

If you go for a XE2, I highly recommend the 14mm, 23mm, 35mm and waiting for the 56mm lenses....choose what fits your needs.  I own the 60mm and when it "hits", it's fantastic, but not the fastest or most reliable lens in the line.  Otherwise, I find the fuji lens to be fantastic!

Good luck!

Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

You are overthinking your gear choices to death.

Calm down and take some pictures.

RMillward
Regular MemberPosts: 146Gear list
Like?
In reply to jenella, Oct 19, 2013

I'm a recent convert to the X100S, too. I've spoken to quite a few people who've bought one, and to be honest, no one seems to "warm up to" or "grow to like" the X100S. It truly inspires a real love/hate reaction - you take it out of the box and it just works for you, or... you struggle with it, you wrestle with the quirks, you fight against the "limitations."

No one camera/system is for EVERYONE. Some people - myself included - love the X100S. I really think you might be better off returning it and picking up one of Fuji's ILC X-mount cameras instead.

RMillward's gear list:RMillward's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,739Gear list
Like?
In reply to RMillward, Oct 19, 2013

I have X100s XE1 and several lenses as well as D800E and nice glass.

My XE1 is my goto camera these days. I took it on an overseas holiday and the images are stunning. The sweep panorama function is just fantastic for landscapes and large cityscapes.

Fuji lenses are superb. The 18-55 lens and 14mm lens is what I used overseas. The 18-55 was used 95% of the time. Its about equal to the Nikon 24-70 but it also has image stabilisation, costs a fraction and is light and small.

XE1 versus X100s. X100s is snappy and fast overall, picture quality is a tad better than XE1 (not a lot). A very nice camera. I like it but I think the 2 cameras are too similar. So now there is a 23mm F1.4 lens an XE2 with that lens and the 18-55 zoom would be more versatile than the X100s. The 14mm is a gorgeous lens as well.

XE2 compared to XE1 is like tranplanting the guts of the X100s over into the XE1. I assume the microprocessor is the same as the X100s as well.

It would make the XE2 a very well rounded camera with class leading colour and jpeg output. RAW now is good with Photo Ninja and Capture 1. Lightroom is not bad either with X trans.

The fast Fuji lenses tends to make up for the smaller sensor for DOF effects in my opinion. I use my D800E for specific things otherwise XE1 is it.

If you are used to an interchangeable lens camera perhaps that is the main limitation you are hitting and XE2 would be more like your D700 experience.

Greg.

Landsandgrooves
Regular MemberPosts: 120Gear list
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Oct 19, 2013

Jenella,

I have a similar profile. I've owned more than 50 professional cameras over a span of 49 years. Have shelves of high-end Nikon lenses, D700, D7000, D800 currently.

When I got the X100s and X-E1, I thought I'd made a real mistake. Couldn't get my head right for shooting with these cameras. I kept working on it. Then, I FINALLY actually read the owner's manuals. Duh! Sounds simple, and it is, but that really made a difference.

I have not taken a Nikon out of the house for six months. The Fujis are capable of photos every bit as good as the Nikons. This week the friendly FEDEX guy will deliver several 24x30 prints I shot last week with the X-E1.

Having said that, the Fujis are different. They are not SLRs. When you have many years of experience with SLRs, you are fixed in the way you shoot. Just hang in there. Fuji lenses really are as good as people say.

A tip: When you move from full frame to APS-C, the effective focal length increases. You know that, of course

BUT . . . I didn't think about how this changes the age-old formula for hand holding (the minimum shutter speed should be the inverse of the focal length). Use the *effective* focal length for this. Also, these cameras are much lighter than your full frame Nikon and big lens. As a result, it's much easier to induce camera movement, which naturally makes for unsharp photos. I think this is the cause of many of the soft images we see from this excellent system.

My suggestion is to use a tripod when you can (which has always been a good idea). Then, assuming you are not using an OIS lens, double the effective focal length for the minimum shutter speed. That is, for the 35mm lens, which is a 50mm effective focal length, use 1/100th second as the slowest shutter speed for hand holding. Yes, we can all shoot at slower shutter speeds, but we should all be aware of the possibility for camera movement making images slightly soft.

The other suggestion is to wipe away any fear of cranking up the ISO (which will allow faster shutter speeds). I come from a background where ISO/ASA 64 was a fast color transparency film. ASA 400 was really fast, and not really that good. Forget all that. Shoot at 400, 800, 1600, and even 3200, and don't worry about it. You will be stunned at what this sensor can do.

Keep shooting. Keep the Nikons for what they do well (fast shooting, long lenses), but work with the Fujis to get the feel of them.

In my case, the problem was not the Fuji cameras or lenses. The problem was with me.

Oh. Just one more thought. The 14mm Fuji is to die for!

-- hide signature --

Tom Gresham

Landsandgrooves's gear list:Landsandgrooves's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 +21 more
jenella
Like?
Thank you Landsandgrooves!
In reply to Landsandgrooves, Oct 19, 2013

Thanks for your helpful reply.. It makes perfect sense to me and addresses a lot of my issues! I think Im afraid of this little machine...maybe more frustrated. I am used to "feeling my way" around a camera which is the first obstacle to overcome. I did find a great Video with lots of good info. I have started  reading the manual but Its not real in depth and a little confusing at times. Im a hands on so this video helps. Now, I wish I  could fix myself from being  left eye dominant..lol. I paid no attention to this until my husband took me out shooting with his new rifle with a scope and I could not align the target correctly...ha. I kept telling him it was so hard, not realizing that left eye was NOT the norm. I am right handed..go figure . I guess I will just always have nose smudges on my LCD screen..ha.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPMnqzjLEAs

Thanks again for your input..I will keep working with this little beauty!

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
cdubman
Regular MemberPosts: 383
Like?
In reply to jenella, Oct 19, 2013

Hello...I am new to Fuji and would love some opinions. I know there is no shortage here!! LOL

I currently have a Nikon D4/D700 and all the best glass. I do a lot of concerts, bands, and slowing way down on my portraits. Need a more casual camera for my family outings and my cadid kid shots.

I just bought the Fuji x100s after reading all the glowing reviews in hopes to have a perfect Little pocket camera for family trips and walk- around. its a decent camera ,it does come with a new learning curve . Im just not wowed by it like I though I would be. I did by a B+W filter and a hood but the hood gets in the way and I get a "turn camera off and then back on" message a lot

Im sure like others I find myself wishing for little more reach at times...then I read about about the release of the Fuji XE-2 and was SUPER excited thinking this was the answer!

I was about to pre-order the body only and add my own lenses. The one that appeals to me most is the 35mm 1.4. ..and the 60...and the.... After adding a couple lenses its $$$$. My question is the IQ of the Fuji x lenses in general .Is it worth the extra money and how does it compare to that of the 23mm fixed (35mm f2.0) in the x100s??? I currently have the Nikon 85 1.4, 14-24, 24-70, 20-200 which are awesome so that's all I have to compare it to. Didn't Nikon and Fuji have a marriage once upon a time with Nikon interchangeable lenses?

I have only had the x100s for a few days and can return it within 14 days. Like i said..its decent but only under the right conditions..its quirky. Sorry If I sound confused...I am! I just dont know if its worth all the investment. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Taken with the x100s..and a little PP in LR

-- hide signature --

I know where you're coming from...I recently purchased a 100s (and currently own a d800 with all pro glass). I bought the Fuji as a casual family/travel camera.

At first, I was really struggling. First, with my young kids the AF simply couldn't keep up, and lack of external controls was annoying me.

I was going to return, but I really like the SOOC jpegs so I decided to stick it out. I recently took it as my only camera to India and China and now have no regrets.

The camera becomes very liberating once you get a hang of it. Configure your C1-C3 settings for your different shooting styles. Get used to the Q button and use it. And most importantly, go take a lot of pictures. It might just be the novelty, but I can tell you that I am having so much fun with this camera and the results are great for this class of camera. I've also found myself experimenting in a whole bunch of new ways and believe that it's making me a better photographer in a number of ways...which is what this is all about anyway, right?

Do I wish the AF was quicker, sure. But that's not really what this camera is all about...

enjoy!

jenella
Like?
and thank you too! good to know people understand!
In reply to cdubman, Oct 19, 2013

Thanks everyone! Im going to give it a little more time! --

wcowan
Regular MemberPosts: 424Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you Landsandgrooves!
In reply to jenella, Oct 21, 2013

jenella wrote:

Now, I wish I could fix myself from being left eye dominant..lol. I paid no attention to this until my husband took me out shooting with his new rifle with a scope and I could not align the target correctly...ha. I kept telling him it was so hard, not realizing that left eye was NOT the norm. I am right handed..go figure . I guess I will just always have nose smudges on my LCD screen..ha.

G'day Jenella

I used to be left eye dominant, but retrained myself to be right eye dominant. It's much easier shooting right eyed. You can look at your surroundings with your left eye, or make eye contact with your subject. Also I no longer get nose prints on my LCD! Like you I'm also right handed.

It was actually easier than I thought, and only took me a few weeks. Whenever I was near a camera I'd pick it up and frame several shots, forcing myself to use my right eye. Now it's natural and it feels odd if I use my left eye. Give it a go, you'll never look back.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

William Cowan
See some of my photos at http://www.radiantphotograph.com

wcowan's gear list:wcowan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
jenella
Like?
In reply to wcowan, Oct 24, 2013

wcowan wrote:

jenella wrote:

Now, I wish I could fix myself from being left eye dominant..lol. I paid no attention to this until my husband took me out shooting with his new rifle with a scope and I could not align the target correctly...ha. I kept telling him it was so hard, not realizing that left eye was NOT the norm. I am right handed..go figure . I guess I will just always have nose smudges on my LCD screen..ha.

G'day Jenella

I used to be left eye dominant, but retrained myself to be right eye dominant. It's much easier shooting right eyed. You can look at your surroundings with your left eye, or make eye contact with your subject. Also I no longer get nose prints on my LCD! Like you I'm also right handed.

It was actually easier than I thought, and only took me a few weeks. Whenever I was near a camera I'd pick it up and frame several shots, forcing myself to use my right eye. Now it's natural and it feels odd if I use my left eye. Give it a go, you'll never look back.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

William Cowan

Thanks Cowan! I will give my right eye an honest try! Im not sure if I can do it, but after reading your story Its inspiring! I will give it a couple months

rpps
Senior MemberPosts: 1,372Gear list
Like?
In reply to jenella, Oct 24, 2013

I have the Nikon D600 with the big heavy Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 lens and the Nikon 35mm f2 and the 50mm f 1.8G lens, I'm looking for a camera that is lighter to carry around but one that gives me the option of a zoom, so I have just ordered the XE1 and the 18-55mm lens for $950.
      I did buy the X100 6 months ago and I really loved the image quality especially the OOC Jpegs but I really missed not having the flexibility of a zoom lens, so reluctantly I sold it.

I'm not planning to get rid of my D600 but I'm getting very disappointed with Nikon and FX cameras, they firstly cost a fortune to buy and I have bad problems with Oil on the Sensor with the camera. Also I had issues with the Tamron lens and it had to be sent back to have the lens focus re-calibrated, hopefully I think it's OK now.

So I'm looking forward to the Fuji camera and hopefully I can get back to enjoying photography again. By the way when I had the X100 the OOC Jpegs tweaked a little bit in CNX2 looked much better than shooting RAW with the Nikon and editing with CNX2.

rpps's gear list:rpps's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +3 more
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 2,386Gear list
Like?
In reply to Landsandgrooves, Oct 24, 2013

Landsandgrooves wrote:

Jenella,

I have a similar profile. I've owned more than 50 professional cameras over a span of 49 years. Have shelves of high-end Nikon lenses, D700, D7000, D800 currently.

When I got the X100s and X-E1, I thought I'd made a real mistake. Couldn't get my head right for shooting with these cameras. I kept working on it. Then, I FINALLY actually read the owner's manuals. Duh! Sounds simple, and it is, but that really made a difference.

I have not taken a Nikon out of the house for six months. The Fujis are capable of photos every bit as good as the Nikons. This week the friendly FEDEX guy will deliver several 24x30 prints I shot last week with the X-E1.

Having said that, the Fujis are different. They are not SLRs. When you have many years of experience with SLRs, you are fixed in the way you shoot. Just hang in there. Fuji lenses really are as good as people say.

A tip: When you move from full frame to APS-C, the effective focal length increases. You know that, of course

BUT . . . I didn't think about how this changes the age-old formula for hand holding (the minimum shutter speed should be the inverse of the focal length). Use the *effective* focal length for this. Also, these cameras are much lighter than your full frame Nikon and big lens. As a result, it's much easier to induce camera movement, which naturally makes for unsharp photos. I think this is the cause of many of the soft images we see from this excellent system.

My suggestion is to use a tripod when you can (which has always been a good idea). Then, assuming you are not using an OIS lens, double the effective focal length for the minimum shutter speed. That is, for the 35mm lens, which is a 50mm effective focal length, use 1/100th second as the slowest shutter speed for hand holding. Yes, we can all shoot at slower shutter speeds, but we should all be aware of the possibility for camera movement making images slightly soft.

The other suggestion is to wipe away any fear of cranking up the ISO (which will allow faster shutter speeds). I come from a background where ISO/ASA 64 was a fast color transparency film. ASA 400 was really fast, and not really that good. Forget all that. Shoot at 400, 800, 1600, and even 3200, and don't worry about it. You will be stunned at what this sensor can do.

Keep shooting. Keep the Nikons for what they do well (fast shooting, long lenses), but work with the Fujis to get the feel of them.

In my case, the problem was not the Fuji cameras or lenses. The problem was with me.

Oh. Just one more thought. The 14mm Fuji is to die for!

-- hide signature --

Tom Gresham

Just gave you a thumbs up for your contribution! You are basically bang on with your comments!

I came from the D300s and had the D800 plus some primes, the 70-200/2.8 VR-I and the 60/2.8 Micro. Originally I thought I would get the Fuji as a carry-me-friendly backup, inferior but bearably so.

To my horror I found that the Fuji would beat the D300s and in some respects the D800 (had a lot of throw aways because the shutter speed needed to be much faster due to the higher resolution, or so my theory was at the time...).

The first few pictures I EVER took with the X-E1 were some taken at a vintage car fair. I am aware of the fact that cars, chrome, glass etc make excellent targets if you want to prove how sharp things are, but nevertheless, I thought that the images were simply stunning in terms of per pixel sharpness, colour and contrast. Images processed in Capture One Pro 7.

One thing I found when I then eventually sold my Nikon gear (no regrets, just kept the 105/2.5 AI-S bi-colour) was that the fun and pure enjoyment I had with this new camera.

I have done some travelling and do regular model shoots with the 60/2.4 Macro and the enjoyment is still there.

Disclaimer: I would just LOVE to have the D4 as a second camera (no, don't be silly, not as a backup for the Fuji...) more so that then D800 ... or any other camera for that matter.

Crop:

And I second the comment regarding the 14mm lens!

Cheers

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
wcowan
Regular MemberPosts: 424Gear list
Like?

jenella wrote:

wcowan wrote:

jenella wrote:

G'day Jenella

Cheers

-- hide signature --

William Cowan

Thanks Cowan! I will give my right eye an honest try! Im not sure if I can do it, but after reading your story Its inspiring! I will give it a couple months

It's nothing like writing left handed or swapping your knife and fork! After the first week you will "accidentally" raise the camera to your left eye only on the odd occasion, usually when you are under pressure to "get the shot" (That's when you fumble and miss!). At two or three weeks I never went back to my left eye. Now that feels odd.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

William Cowan

wcowan's gear list:wcowan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,287
Like?

Your best bet is to go back to your photo library and look at the brunt of the pictures you took for focal length.  If you find most are at longer focal lengths than the 35mm FF equivalent of the x100s you should consider instead the XE2.  You might also consider the X-A1 if your budget is more limited.  It's a very nice camera.

Sulis2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,050
Like?
In reply to Daniel Lauring, Oct 24, 2013

I too come from a predominantly Nikon FF setup (D3, 24mm mostly using the f1.4 and 85 f1.4), but the weight and bulk have made it rare that I bring them around with me.

I too tried the X100 (not the S), and have been charmed and frustrated in equal measure by it - so much is so good, yet the erratic AF (not the speed, the accuracy) means you can never quite trust that you've got the shot. Even after the update.

However, I'm not sold on the alternative systems. m43 has all the snappy I'd ever need - yet I'm still finding it hard to give up the IQ of larger sensors (and I find m43 blows the whites all too easily). And I'm still addicted to having shallow DoF, despite all the articles telling me it's just a fad, and once you've stuck a Voigt on an m43 body you've lost the size and weight advantage...

Sony's new A7 should be the logical alternative. I have the RX100, and it's fantastic - capable of stunning images in the right conditions. And yet... the FE lenses are either slow or weird (55mm f1.8? Who ordered that?).

Which leaves the Fuji X series. It may be that the new X-E2 has the brains to focus accurately now. They've finally added face detect, which will make quick snaps of people actually possible (would you hand an X100 to a stranger to take your photo? Me neither). When the 56 f1.4 comes out, that will be a very appealing proposition (though unappealingly expensive). Shame there's no 24mm equivalent, but you can't - and this bears repeating - have everything.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads