Olympus Stylus1 24-300mm 1/1.7" sensor

Started Oct 18, 2013 | Discussions
SHood
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,136Gear list
Like?
Olympus Stylus1 24-300mm 1/1.7" sensor
Oct 18, 2013

Olympus will announce this on Oct 29th.  No details yet on lens aperture although I think it might be a constant f2.8.  EVF seems quite large.  Price will be $600-700.

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-first-images-of-the-olympus-stylus-1-the-mini-omd/

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
Anderton
Contributing MemberPosts: 663
Like?
Focal range
In reply to SHood, Oct 18, 2013

SHood wrote:

Olympus will announce this on Oct 29th. No details yet on lens aperture although I think it might be a constant f2.8. EVF seems quite large. Price will be $600-700.

Possibly 24-300mm focal range.

If it is, it would be amazing if they could get a constant aperture range however it may be variable.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cainn24
Senior MemberPosts: 2,685Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus Stylus1 24-300mm 1/1.7" sensor

SHood wrote:

I think it might be a constant f2.8

Where did you hear that it might be a constant f/2.8?  That would be quite compelling, at least for people who are willing to sacrifice one stop at the wide end for the extra reach (thinking of XZ1/XZ-2 users here).

SHood
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,136Gear list
Like?
In reply to cainn24, Oct 18, 2013

cainn24 wrote:

SHood wrote:

Where did you hear that it might be a constant f/2.8?  That would be quite compelling, at least for people who are willing to sacrifice one stop at the wide end for the extra reach (thinking of XZ1/XZ-2 users here).

This came from a rumor a month ago.  Seems pretty accurate now.

http://www.43rumors.com/ft2-some-fake-olympus-high-end-compact-info/

This rumour about the compact camera with 4/3 is incorrect. The new compact will have the same size sensor as the XZ-2, it will however have a new lens, 28-300mm with a constant f2.8. Will  be announced in Oct

I also noticed a lens patent from a few months ago that shows a 4.4-67mm f2.4-f4.2 lens.  I am not sure if this is related to this announcement but it does look like we will be getting a fast lens.  This same link shows the patent for the next XZ-3 (6-24mm f1.4-f1.8).

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=it&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fegami.blog.so-net.ne.jp%2F2013-01-08

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
jacketpotato
Regular MemberPosts: 496
Like?
the new UZI Re: Olympus Stylus1 24-300mm 1/1.7" sensor

Finally after over a decade, an update to the ledgendary UZI ... C2100uz

cainn24
Like?

SHood wrote:

cainn24 wrote:

SHood wrote:

Where did you hear that it might be a constant f/2.8? That would be quite compelling, at least for people who are willing to sacrifice one stop at the wide end for the extra reach (thinking of XZ1/XZ-2 users here).

This came from a rumor a month ago. Seems pretty accurate now.

http://www.43rumors.com/ft2-some-fake-olympus-high-end-compact-info/

This rumour about the compact camera with 4/3 is incorrect. The new compact will have the same size sensor as the XZ-2, it will however have a new lens, 28-300mm with a constant f2.8. Will be announced in Oct

Thanks for that.  Exciting stuff.

I also noticed a lens patent from a few months ago that shows a 4.4-67mm f2.4-f4.2 lens. I am not sure if this is related to this announcement but it does look like we will be getting a fast lens.

That sounds like a 20-300mm EFL, or thereabouts.  And given the actual FL, it's obviously for a compact as well.  But would they be releasing more than one with a 300mm reach?  If not, it will probably have the lens you've just mentioned.  Interesting.  A constant f/2.8 would be better though I think.

This same link shows the patent for the next XZ-3 (6-24mm f1.4-f1.8).

That's a little bit drool-worthy I think   Panasonic will have to step it up a notch to retain the enthusiast compact lens speed crown.

Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,263Gear list
Like?
C-2100UZ RIP
In reply to jacketpotato, Oct 18, 2013

jacketpotato wrote:

Finally after over a decade, an update to the ledgendary UZI ... C2100uz

You mean - it will use SmartMedia cards, have an underrated diode that stops the camera altogether, have only 2MP which discourages any cropping, needs a cable and a bracket to attach an external flash, and so on?

Many past and current pocket P&S jobs are more reliable, better specified, AND they permit enlargements AFTER cropping. I have the Stylus 9010 and the SZ-30MR.

I do keep museum pieces, like the C-990/D-490 and the SP-570UZ, for their excellent picture quality AT THE TIME (!!!), their continuing reliability - and because I consider it unethical to sell a camera for which the memory cards are no longer available. But the bragging rights for these have expired some time ago.

C-2100UZ - Rest In Pieces.

The Stylus 1 does look nice, and it does have a conventional hot shoe according to the photo.

But Sandra has stopped posing years ago, and her chores don't give me the time (or inclination) to look for another (female) model. This situation makes a new pocket P&S (SH-50 iHS) more desirable and practical - for which I have Sandra's go-ahead.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Setter Dog
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,971
Like?

SHood wrote:

Olympus will announce this on Oct 29th. No details yet on lens aperture although I think it might be a constant f2.8. EVF seems quite large. Price will be $600-700.

-- hide signature --

The picture certainly shows what seems to be a large EVF. I'm  not an Olympus user but I love the long zooms and hope they put some of the other features in this model instead of staying bare bones like Canon does. I'd like to see Panorama, HS HD video, good burst rates etc. Of course, a constant F2.8 lens would be wonderful.

I don't want much, do I?

Jack

Ben O Connor
Contributing MemberPosts: 846Gear list
Like?
In reply to Setter Dog, Oct 18, 2013

Great!

Wish to see more specs. Cant wait. (Nice to see even a crappy flash but anyway...)

Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,335Gear list
Like?
One can only hope that...
In reply to SHood, Oct 19, 2013

Olympus gets it right this time.  Having a miniature OMD look-alike may be a tall order.  After all, will be of a quality construction (i.e. magnesium body, very solid feel, metal knobs - as opposed to plastic - and an excellent lens system).  Will it have very fast and accurate AF and will it have excellent IQ characteristics (not having the smeary effects on the edges that Olympus super zoom models usually had in the past)?  These are all "if's" that should be asked.

Right now, it's obvious that the Sony RX10 has set the tone.  Of course, no one has seen the IQ capabilities of that camera, but I would imagine that high ISO scenarios will be superb with that model.  But damnnnnnnnn - $1299 USD is quite a bit of change from "just" a 24-200 model.  So I'm betting that within 6 months or so, the price will come down.

I held off getting the XZ-2 because I was very satisfied with the XZ-1.  But if this new Stylus 1 doesn't come looking like a cheap toy imitation of the OMD, and if it has superb IQ characteristics and greatly improved speed, it may very well be a great seller.

But in the end, as I've often mentioned, Olympus doesn't always listen to it's users - at least not when it comes to small P&S digicams.  I am hoping this Stylus 1 winds up be a head turner in more ways than one.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 +31 more
Steven Wandy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,917Gear list
Like?
Those were my thoughts Ben
In reply to Ben Herrmann, Oct 19, 2013

I did "upgrade" from the XZ-1 to the XZ-2 and really like it. But this camera - assuming the IQ is near or better than the XZ-2 is a very intriguing replacement. Though I will admit that I preferred the size of the original XZ-1 to the 2 and this looks like it will be bigger yet.

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
Setter Dog
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,971
Like?
Re: One can only hope that...
In reply to Ben Herrmann, Oct 19, 2013

Ben Herrmann wrote:

Right now, it's obvious that the Sony RX10 has set the tone. Of course, no one has seen the IQ capabilities of that camera, but I would imagine that high ISO scenarios will be superb with that model. But damnnnnnnnn - $1299 USD is quite a bit of change from "just" a 24-200 model. So I'm betting that within 6 months or so, the price will come down.

Yes, that's a lot of bucks. I'm sort of turned off by the lack of reach of the lens. To me, the Stylus 1 looks like a better all around camera, especially if it includes nice features such as fast burst. HS HD video, Panorama, etc.

Jack

rpm40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937Gear list
Like?
In reply to Setter Dog, Oct 21, 2013

Setter Dog wrote:

Ben Herrmann wrote:

Right now, it's obvious that the Sony RX10 has set the tone. Of course, no one has seen the IQ capabilities of that camera, but I would imagine that high ISO scenarios will be superb with that model. But damnnnnnnnn - $1299 USD is quite a bit of change from "just" a 24-200 model. So I'm betting that within 6 months or so, the price will come down.

Yes, that's a lot of bucks. I'm sort of turned off by the lack of reach of the lens. To me, the Stylus 1 looks like a better all around camera, especially if it includes nice features such as fast burst. HS HD video, Panorama, etc.

Jack

The price on the RX10 is just nutty. Several hundred higher than the aps-c R1 on its release, even after considering inflation. A nice camera, I'm sure, but they won't sell many.

I think the slight IQ increase of a 1/1.7" sensor over the typical bridge cameras, combined with the fast lens (which again most long zooms don't have, FZ200 aside), will be a good combo for a reasonably sized and priced camera that can give pretty good results in a range of situations.

Can't wait to see what this model really turns out to be.

rpm40's gear list:rpm40's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
theranman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,102
Like?
In reply to rpm40, Oct 22, 2013

"Can't wait to see what this model really turns out to be."

Never as good as you're expecting.  

-Mr. Glass H. Emtee

VaLeX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,063Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ben Herrmann, Oct 24, 2013

Ben Herrmann wrote:

(...)

Right now, it's obvious that the Sony RX10 has set the tone. Of course, no one has seen the IQ capabilities of that camera, but I would imagine that high ISO scenarios will be superb with that model.

(...)

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Indeed, the new term of comparison is the Sony RX10. As long as Oly sticks to the 1 1/7 sensor, they will have a hard time in providing similar image quality at high ISO. So, a 24-300 zoom (which seems not to be constant F 2.8, if the patent is to be trusted) is not the right answer to the Sony RX10. The proper reaction would be a sophisticated compact with a very bright lens - i.e. the 28-112 F1.4-F1.8 (which is almost a constant aperture, mind you).
On the other hand the Sony RX10 is quite expensive; even if it will come about 900USD in 6 month, (which I doubt) - that is still expensive. But Oly is not that cheap either, An ZX 2 + evf goes to ~ 670 USD now. The shear size of the  1' sensor would make a good case for paying the extra-price for the Sony!

Oh, and keep the resolution on the next 1 1/7 sensor, don't increase it, Oly!

-- hide signature --

Comments, criticism, suggestions: it goes without saying!
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k107/huzururmuz/

VaLeX's gear list:VaLeX's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited
RayUK
Contributing MemberPosts: 990Gear list
Like?
In reply to VaLeX, Oct 24, 2013

The spec. of the RX10 is indeed exciting, with one glaring exception - it's weight - 870gm I think I read - the downside of trying to put a long lens on a 1" sensor. I am a fairly satisfied FZ200 owner, getting older and frailer, who already finds it's 580 gm a bit too much. Although an amazingly versatile machine, I could do with a bit more IQ - especially for portraits.

SO......I'm hoping this new Oly Stylus will be heading down towards 400 gm or less with the larger sensor providing that little bit of better IQ I'm looking for. Constant f2.8 would indeed be nice to have, but will increase the weight, so perhaps a compromise of, say, f4 at the long end would suit me.

I'm greatly looking forward to the 29th.

Ray

John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,362Gear list
Like?
In reply to RayUK, Oct 24, 2013

I'm betting against a constant f/2.8 aperture, but will be happy if it is. The camera is butt ugly, IMO, but if the IQ and specs. are good it may sell well.

Birders will not be interested in a focal length that stops at 300mm. The Panny FZ200 still rules in the fast lens superzoom dept.

theranman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,102
Like?
In reply to John McCormack, Oct 24, 2013

"Butt ugly" is an understatement, however I'll highly tempted if the aperture is good. It seems to check almost all of the other boxes, but I'm a little skeptical because it's an Oly.

cainn24
Like?
In reply to theranman, Oct 27, 2013

theranman wrote:

"Butt ugly" is an understatement, however I'll highly tempted if the aperture is good. It seems to check almost all of the other boxes, but I'm a little skeptical because it's an Oly.

Ugly?  I think it looks awesome.  Would be even awesomer [sic] if there was a classic silver/black option, like the E-M5.

morepix
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,187Gear list
Like?
In reply to SHood, Oct 27, 2013

SHood wrote:

I wish it weren't so, but my money says the lens will be no better than f:4.9 at the long end, probably even darker than that.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads