Why are there no cameras with viewfinder on the right?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Joe186
Senior MemberPosts: 1,775
Like?
Re: Left-eye-dominant left-hander
In reply to Rexgig0, 11 months ago

Rexgig0 wrote:

I am left-eye dominant, which is one big reason I prefer cameras that have the viewfinder mounted high, so my right eye is not blocked by the camera body. This assumes horizontal/landscape orientation, of course; vertical portrait blocks neither of my eyes, though my portrait orientation is, of course, opposite that of a right-hander, which is one reason "gripped" cameras have never particulary appealed to me, except for the added battery capacity.

I am left-handed, but operating the shutter with my right index finger has never been a problem. Photography is a two-handed endeavor, anyway, with plenty of things for each hand to be doing.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action.

By right-eyed, I got a little mixed up. The V-1’s viewfinder is a tiny bit to the right (I have one). As far as holding the 4500 upside-down, it’s a bit strange, but it’s all I can think of for a standard viewfinder.

Other than that, the only other possibility I can come up with, are those optional viewfinders that clip into the flash shoe of some high end compacts and mirrorless. They’re centrally located, but perched on top of the camera.

You can check out most offerings here.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EP2/EP2A.HTM

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,711Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joe186, 11 months ago

Yes, those add-on EVFs, that attach to the hot shoe, are quite attractive, in my opinion, especially the ones that pivot upwards, such as the one marketed by Leica for the X2. The most recent shoe-mount EVF from Olympus seems to be well-regarded by such reviewers as Ming Thein.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +25 more
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,068Gear list
Like?
Left-eye shooting is politically suspect (nt)
In reply to John Pennington, 11 months ago
-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Joe186
Senior MemberPosts: 1,775
Like?
In reply to Rexgig0, 11 months ago

Rexgig0 wrote:

Yes, those add-on EVFs, that attach to the hot shoe, are quite attractive, in my opinion, especially the ones that pivot upwards, such as the one marketed by Leica for the X2. The most recent shoe-mount EVF from Olympus seems to be well-regarded by such reviewers as Ming Thein.

-- hide signature --

Can’t beat a Leica! For a throw around though, a DSC-V1 definitely worth the $50-$100 investment. Took this shot with mine.

-- hide signature --
RUcrAZ
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,177
Like?
If you really expect a serious answer...

......., it's probably because modern Digital cams follow the shape of film cams, and SLRs had the right-thumb-operated film wind mechanism on the right. No room for a viewfinder there, and it would interfere with the right hand/thumb, or vice versa.

Interestingly, with the lack of film, there is no need for that shape (see video-cams) but the cams probably would not sell, because most people are traditionalists. (Think of many of the early autos, engine/horse in the front, people in the back, when there was no need for that arrangement any more. Yet, it's still with us.)

domina
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
Re: Why are there no cameras with viewfinder on the right?
In reply to Nigel Wilkins, 11 months ago

Nigel Wilkins wrote:

I would imagine left eyed people are in a minority, so the manufacturers don't want to start catering for you & increasing their costs for the minority.

It's all about demand & profit.

Many companies can maintain profit catering to market niches by becoming the leader in a very small market. If you could make a camera that every lefteyed photographer would buy, then I think you could make a profit.

So maybe it's not about market economics, but about racism against lefteyed people?

-- hide signature --

I'm against privacy rights and everyone who doesn't want to appear in my photos is my enemy! Nobody has the right to refuse to be photographed! Profile pic by me, not me. My Flickr has some Creative Commons pics for you to remix upon.

Trafford
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,548
Like?
In reply to domina, 11 months ago

domina wrote:

Nigel Wilkins wrote:

I would imagine left eyed people are in a minority, so the manufacturers don't want to start catering for you & increasing their costs for the minority.

It's all about demand & profit.

Many companies can maintain profit catering to market niches by becoming the leader in a very small market. If you could make a camera that every lefteyed photographer would buy, then I think you could make a profit.

So maybe it's not about market economics, but about racism against lefteyed people?

In the Land of the Blind, the One Eyed Man is King.

Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,308
Like?
Because most people have their nose on the left...
-- hide signature --
karl eller
Regular MemberPosts: 251Gear list
Like?

I'm one of those weird people who give designers the shits: Right handed, but left eye dominate. That means that with most modern DSLRs I end up mashing my nose against the LCD screen, but I would hate having to use a left-handed control layout that would most likely be needed for a left-eyed viewfinder. It just feels weird and uncomfortable holding my camera up to my right eye, but being left-eyed isn't a huge problem with DSLRs, just means I need to clean the LCD screen a little more often.

Oddly enough, I shoot archery left-handed (and left-eye dominate).

karl eller's gear list:karl eller's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads