Why are there no cameras with viewfinder on the right?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
John Pennington
Contributing MemberPosts: 868Gear list
Like?
Why are there no cameras with viewfinder on the right?
11 months ago

There seems to be quite a few cameras recently - Sony NEX 7, Fuji X-E1 that have their viewfinders on the left, which is great for right-eye shooters.

However, there are lots of people who are left-eye shooters, why are there no cameras with the viewfinder on the right?

Is it due to the shutter button traditionally having been in the right corner?

John Pennington's gear list:John Pennington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,321Gear list
Like?
Re: Why are there no cameras with viewfinder on the right?
In reply to John Pennington, 11 months ago

Hi,

I've never seen a RH VF on a film or digital camera.  I don't know why.  I'm left eyed, and am happy with either a LH VF or a centre VF.  I'm also right-handed - I don't think I'd like operating the controls with my left hand.  So my guess is that you're right.....

Maybe if you found a left handed and left eyed photographer, they would prefer a RH VF?

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,250
Like?

John Pennington wrote:

There seems to be quite a few cameras recently - Sony NEX 7, Fuji X-E1 that have their viewfinders on the left, which is great for right-eye shooters.

However, there are lots of people who are left-eye shooters, why are there no cameras with the viewfinder on the right?

As a left-eyed shooter, I prefer the viewfinder on the left. That way I can hold the camera symmetrically in front of my face with my arms braced against my body, and not hanging over to the left, as it would be if the VF window was on the right. (I am Right-Handed.)
The main disadvantage is nose grease on the LCD.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Why are there no cameras with viewfinder on the right? conspiracy.

John Pennington wrote:

It is a conspiracy.....  sorry , could not resist, in one of those quirky moods.

-- hide signature --

Amateur photographer. Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Nigel Wilkins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006
Like?

I would imagine left eyed people are in a minority, so the manufacturers don't want to start catering for you & increasing their costs for the minority.

Maybe with the advent of EVF's someone will eventually design a camera where it can be positioned on the right if you choose. Having said that, many modular cameras in the past had the opportunity to provide grips & controls for left handed people, but never took the opportunity.

It's all about demand & profit.

-- hide signature --

nigelwilkinsphotography.com
Everything to do with photography is a guideline. The only rules are generally enforced by the police.

John Pennington
Contributing MemberPosts: 868Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nigel Wilkins, 11 months ago

Nigel Wilkins wrote:

I would imagine left eyed people are in a minority, so the manufacturers don't want to start catering for you & increasing their costs for the minority.

I wondered that, but when the question is asked in forums, most people seem to be left eye shooters.

John Pennington's gear list:John Pennington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,898Gear list
Like?

I can honestly say I have never met a left eyed shooter - camera or gun - I'm sure they exist but where are they?

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +6 more
Nigel Wilkins
Like?

John Pennington wrote:

Nigel Wilkins wrote:

I wondered that, but when the question is asked in forums, most people seem to be left eye shooters.

Because the subject is of no interest to right eyed shooters.

-- hide signature --

Everything to do with photography is a guideline. The only rules are generally enforced by the police.

Mattoid
Regular MemberPosts: 226
Like?

Lazy ignorant designers.   If it works well for them it must work for everyone else right?   They either ignorant to know about how common and significant left eye dominance is. Or they know and don't care.

Apparently one third of all people are left eye dominant so I actually see only catering for right eyed people as prejudiced.

I guess having the viewfinder in the middle is inconvenient for everyone.

Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,193
Like?
Because more people are right eyed, perhaps?

Same reason right handed models are the default whenever there's an option.

Nigel Wilkins
Like?
In reply to Mattoid, 11 months ago

Mattoid wrote:

Lazy ignorant designers. If it works well for them it must work for everyone else right? They either ignorant to know about how common and significant left eye dominance is. Or they know and don't care.

Apparently one third of all people are left eye dominant so I actually see only catering for right eyed people as prejudiced.

I guess having the viewfinder in the middle is inconvenient for everyone.

Considering what's at stake, I'd be surprised if all camera designers were lazy & ignorant & that the camera companies don't spend a fair amount of time & money on market research, rather than relying on an apparent statistic.

-- hide signature --

Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?

John Pennington wrote:

There are more people that are either right handed and/or have big noses, than they are left handed people with small noses
..Cater to the masses.

Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 +21 more
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,599
Like?
Gets in the way of right handed controls

Aside from the question of whose noses get mashed (right-eyed or left-eyed people or both), with controls on the right, your right hand would be fighting with your face.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Roger Wilmot
Regular MemberPosts: 236
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, 11 months ago

Sonyshine wrote:

I can honestly say I have never met a left eyed shooter - camera or gun - I'm sure they exist but where are they?

We should meet

Amblyopia is estimated to affect a few % of the population, and if we assume there is no bias to the eye affected, then there say 2% of people who have to use their left eye.  Of course those who would prefer to are a lot less apparent because the design of cameras, binoculars, microscopes etc favours the right-eyed so they adapt.  Binoculars are easy - use a monocular.  Manual wind film cameras were always a pain, as were bolt-action rifles.  Motor winds and digital cameras are just a bit inconvenient, depending exactly what my nose presses against, and I haven't fired a gun for a long time.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Roger
www.pbase.com/rogerwilmot

Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,599
Like?
In reply to Mattoid, 11 months ago

Mattoid wrote:

Lazy ignorant designers. If it works well for them it must work for everyone else right? They either ignorant to know about how common and significant left eye dominance is. Or they know and don't care.

Assuming there's any truth to that, how would you design a camera with the viewfinder on the right so that it doesn't get in the way of the right handed controls and so there's room for both your hand and your face ?  Or would you move the controls to the left, making the camera ideal only for left-handed, left-eyed shooters ?

Then when you add to the R&D and manufacturing and distribution costs, never mind worry about fighting for shelf space in retail outlets, all to see the same number of cameras, can it really be viewed as ignorant or lazy ?

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Joe Ogiba
Senior MemberPosts: 2,927Gear list
Like?
Get the full frame Sony NEX-VG900 with adjustable angled OLED EVF

Joe Ogiba's gear list:Joe Ogiba's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
Promit
Contributing MemberPosts: 971Gear list
Like?

How many cameras are there with the controls on the left? They'd need to be if you put the finder on the right. I don't know that anybody's done that in SLRs...

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a77 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +12 more
AlbertInFrance
Senior MemberPosts: 2,251Gear list
Like?
In reply to Promit, 11 months ago

Something I've been waiting for since electronic viewfinders started becoming common is a demountable EVF. I used to have one on a pro video camera back in the 80's. You wear it strapped to your eye -- either eye -- and manoeuvre the camera separately. No need for flip-up rear screens and the like.

Not exactly a fashion statement, though.

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.
Most people are more interested in the picture than the image.

AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?

John Pennington wrote:

With this one:

Minolta angle-viewfinder

you get the same chance, no matter if you're a "left-eye shooter" or not

Available from Seagull, I guess.

Cheers,
--
Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,109Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, 11 months ago

Sonyshine wrote:

I was a left eyed shooter with the camera, because I had 20/200 in my right eye.  Couldn't wear glasses because I had 20/20 in left eye and my brain would not reconcile the two different images.

It was not until I was 42 when age caused my left eye's acuity to degrade to the point where I could be fitted for glasses that didn't make me dizzy. Now I focus right eyed, but watch the scene with my left if there are people in the shot.

An Army recruiter once told me that the army trains soldiers to shoot right eyed, because the hot shells from the rifles eject across your nose if you shoot left eyed? Never got to find out as I got lucky and the draft passed me by.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads