Canon 70D vs Nikon D5300 for APS-C DSLR videographers: the waiting has just been started

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Miki Nemeth
Regular MemberPosts: 496Gear list
Like?
Canon 70D vs Nikon D5300 for APS-C DSLR videographers: the waiting has just been started
9 months ago

I have a nice collection of Nikon 1 camera system, which I like very much. Still, I am planning to buy an APS-C camera for advanced DSLR videography. In the weekend we had a two-day photo expo here with a number of exhibitors, where I had the chance to try both the Canon 70D and Nikon D5200. I want a camera with a swivel/articulated monitor, definitely. I liked the Nikon D5200 very much, just like I love my Nikon V1, but the Canon 70D is an immensely capable camera, too; near-perfect for videos. I was on the point to buy a 70D when today I read that Nikon announced D5300; perfect timing. Since I use Nikon 1, I am biased towards the D5300, and now I have tough decision to come, and a number of weeks to wait until I am going to have a chance to test D5300's new AF-F and Subject Tracking performance.

In the meantime here are a couple of pros and cons for Canon 70D vs Nikon D5300:

Pros for Canon 70D (only video features)

• The touch screen worked extremely well when I was testing focus pulling, and it was very intuitive. It is absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately, the Nikon D5300 has no touch screen. Since I use Nikon V1, I got used to changing the focus area with the dial/wheel knob; with some practice it is quite doable, but using a touch screen is way much more convenient and real fun.
  • The Canon 70D's autofocusing (especially Servo AF) worked incredibly perfectly in video mode. I liked my Nikon V1's autofocusing, but autofocusing with the Canon 70D was completely different world. I did not expect such a big difference in favor of the Canon 70D. I am a Nikon 1 enthusiast, but Canon made an excellent job here. I was experimenting with the autofocus capabilities of the Nikon D5200, D3200, D7100, D600 with a number of lenses, but, just like Nikon V1, they were far behind Canon 70D's smooth and seamless video/live-view autofocusing. The challenge is very hard for Nikon D5300, I am very eager to try the new improved AF-F of the D5300.
  • I can connect the Canon 70D to a slim Windows8 ultrabook or tablet with a USB cable, and I can start and stop video recordings while watching and controlling the camera via the free EOS Utility. Unfortunately, this does not work over the Wi-Fi connection. I wonder if Nikon D5300 supports starting and stopping video recording via USB cable or Wi-Fi.
  • Canon 70D does not support 1080/60p videos, but it supports high bitrate with uncompressed (ALL-I) as well as compressed (IPB) format. I wonder what bitrate Nikon D5300 supports?
  • On the Canon 70D it is possible to change the the aperture while in video and Manual exposure mode. When the aperture, shutter-speed or ISO are changed, the monitor is changed to show the exposure accordingly. Unlike with the mirrorless Nikon 1, changing the aperture in live view mode is not possible with Nikon D5200 and number of other Nikon DSLRs, unfortunately.

Pros for Nikon D5300

• 1920x1080 at 60/50 fps progressive video recording is supported by the Nikon D5300. The feature was supported only by Panasonic mirrorless cameras. The D5300 is the 1st DSLR that supports 1080/60p.
  • Nikon D5300 has a slightly bigger screen.
  • Nikon D5300 is (significantly) smaller and lighter.
  • Nikon D5300 is (significantly) less expensive. I wonder, if Canon drops the price of the 70D after Nikon D5300 is going to appear in stores.
  • I already have a Nikon 50mm/F1.4 lens, which I bought for my Nikon V1. All lenses that I would buy for the Nikon D5300, I could be used on my Nikon V1 cameras with the FT1 adapter, too. If I'd go for the Canon, eventually I should buy a mirrorless Canon EOS-M, too.

Cons both for Canon 70D and Nikon D5300

• No focus peaking neither in Canon 70D nor in Nikon D5300. Focus peaking could be very useful for manual focusing in video mode. Practically, it can completely replace the arcane and cumbersome mechanical follow focus solutions on video rigs. I experimented with the focus peaking features of newer mirrorless cameras: Panasonic GX7, G6, Olympus E-P5 and E-M1, and I found them great. Nikon D5300 could have been the 1st DSLR that would have supported focus peaking, but Nikon missed this feature. On the other hand, when recording action events no time for focus peaking and robust autofocusing (with reliable subject tracking) may be much more useful.
  • I cannot control the microphone level while recording a video on Canon 70D.
  • No headphone output on a Canon 70D.
  • Some reviewers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7__HwslKws for example) found Moiré and aliasing noticeable on Canon 70D, while stating the Nikon cameras handle these problems (much) more efficiently. Many Canon 70D owners say, that this is significantly exaggerated and not really a problem in reality, though.
  • In video mode Canon 70D does not support Aperture (Av) nor Shutter (Tv) priority exposure modes. These exposure modes work exactly the same as the P mode. In Manual exposure mode, I was able to set bot aperture and shutter speed.
  • No silent operation. When a DSLR is switched to video mode, the mirror is opened with a loud snatch. Starting a stopping video recording is silent, though.
  • Most DSLR lenses, even excellent quality expensive lenses, produce more-or-less clearly audible noise when the autofocus motor is working. Many lenses, however, are quite silent. On the other hand, all lenses made for mirrorless cameras are totally silent when autofocusing.

Pros for both Canon 70D and Nikon D5300 vs mirrorless cameras:

• These APS-C cameras have (much) better low-light performance.
  • Dozens of reasonable priced excellent lenses are available for Canon and Nikon APS-C cameras that are perfect for low-light videography.

I hope many of you are interested in reading these comments. I learned so much useful and practical from the posts on this forum.

Miki

Miki Nemeth's gear list:Miki Nemeth's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-A1 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +8 more
BobK77
Regular MemberPosts: 388Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 70D vs Nikon D5300 for APS-C DSLR videographers: the waiting has just been started
In reply to Miki Nemeth, 9 months ago

I could not find 60fps bit rate anywhere either
Don't be excited too much with 1080 60p. Panasonic/Sony have 28Mbs rate and this is to high compresson for my like (I do own Panasonic). I prefere Nikon 30fps with 24Mbs compression,
there are more details preserved. I do own d5200.
BTW video quality is better than Nikon V1.
Good luck.

BobK77's gear list:BobK77's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mdifilm
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 70D vs Nikon D5300 for APS-C DSLR videographers: the waiting has just been started
In reply to BobK77, 9 months ago

Minor correction, the ALL-i is less compressed but it's not uncompressed. Intraframe (all-i) compresses each frame basically separating each frame and compressing it individually. It's easier for editing in NLE but in reality, it's hard to see the different when viewing.

Mdifilm's gear list:Mdifilm's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +7 more
rockjano
Senior MemberPosts: 2,359
Like?
In reply to Miki Nemeth, 9 months ago

The biggest difference is that BlackMagic gave canon native video RAW mode which is amazing

There is no such thing at Nikon and officially they don't want to give that to us.

Miki Nemeth
Regular MemberPosts: 496Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mdifilm, 9 months ago

Mdifilm wrote:

Minor correction, the ALL-i is less compressed but it's not uncompressed. Intraframe (all-i) compresses each frame basically separating each frame and compressing it individually. It's easier for editing in NLE but in reality, it's hard to see the different when viewing.

Thank You for the comments.

In the meantime, I've learned Nikon's Camera Control Pro can be used to start and stop video recording on Nikon D5200 and D7100, and possibly D5300 either. This may is a useful feature for videographers.

rockjano wrote:

The biggest difference is that BlackMagic gave canon native video RAW mode

Thanks, Jano for the comment. I think you meant Magic Lantern. On the other hand, Nikon supports clean HDMI output, which can be used with an external video recording device. I had no chance to test if Canon 70D support clean HDMI output, since I definitely prefer in-camera recording.

Miki

Miki Nemeth's gear list:Miki Nemeth's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-A1 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +8 more
JamieHD
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
In reply to Miki Nemeth, 8 months ago

The current GearShop deal on the 70D kit though is actually right around if not a tad less for one of the kits, to the D5300. Am I reading this correctly?

JamieHD's gear list:JamieHD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Apple iPhone 4 Apple iPhone 3G
sss10
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to JamieHD, 7 months ago

Even I have similar question. As Canon 70D is in semi pro category and Nikon D5300 is in one notch above entry level and one notch below Semi pro (Canon 70D) there is only $150 USD difference.

Can some one share thoughts on, would it be a good idea to go with Canon 70D over Nikon D5300? I am waiting on in-depth review on Nikon D5300

Both Camera have decent kit lens Canon 18-135 mm STM and Nikon 18-140 mm IS lens. Not bad for the all purpose lens. In fact lot better than 18-55 mm lens which is crappy lens on both Canon and Nikon.

JamieHD
Like?
In reply to sss10, 7 months ago

For a whole I was considering both, but honestly, the more I read, it looks like the 5300, while nice and small, is really for people with more money than sense, though it does eliminate the troubled sensor of the 5200 and 7100.

Between the two, the 70D seems like a far better all-around system, especially with its video-AF. Plus a better UI.

But yeah, this is my first DSLR too, though I've been geeking out on iPhone photography for 5 years or so. I'm finally starting to want the control that thing won't give me and idk, mirrorless isn't quite mature and settled enough for me yet, especially on the video end.

I life Nikon's color, but can't stomach their video or their UI.

Any advice out there? Again, first big-boy camera, but I am familiar with all the concepts and want a solid still AND video shooter that I can grow with. I feel like the 5300 doesn't fit that.

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,171Gear list
Like?
In reply to BobK77, 7 months ago

I am sure he meant 1080 60p/30p.

1080 60/p enables faster video which makes slow motion possible.

BobK77 wrote:

I could not find 60fps bit rate anywhere either
Don't be excited too much with 1080 60p. Panasonic/Sony have 28Mbs rate and this is to high compresson for my like (I do own Panasonic). I prefere Nikon 30fps with 24Mbs compression,
there are more details preserved. I do own d5200.
BTW video quality is better than Nikon V1.
Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +19 more
Tabashira
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to Miki Nemeth, 7 months ago

i have been into the same question also but i kind have different opinion

the pros of Nikon D5300 goes for he quality of pictures and videos both while

70D the main pros there is for quality of the body like weather shield waterproof , shoots more images with the battery , has touch screen
i love touch screen by the way is makes selecting focus easier

D5300 has :
1- More Dynamic Range ( better performance in low light and Detail in Shadows )
2- better Maximum light sensitivity
3- Better Image Quality
4- More Focus Points
5- Better Color Depth

that gives Nikon More Quality of the Pictures Or Video considering also 
removing Anti Aliasing Filter that gives you more Sharper quality and using latest sensor 
that even not found in D800/D800E

the Magic Labtern is very hard to use on 70D you need To shoot small videos and join them later as the 70D will get hotter and hotter , some surround it with ice bags to use magic lantern

regarding the Autofocus this is the main Pros for 70D because of phase detection 
which nikon really is bad regarding autofocus , but this is for amateurs , if you are looking for videography then you will use manual Focus .

I would go for D5300 for my self , but waiting to save some money

Lin Evans
Forum ProPosts: 15,589Gear list
Like?
In reply to JamieHD, 7 months ago

JamieHD wrote:

For a whole I was considering both, but honestly, the more I read, it looks like the 5300, while nice and small, is really for people with more money than sense, though it does eliminate the troubled sensor of the 5200 and 7100.

The 7100 and D5300 share the same sensor AFAIK.... Made by Toshiba and what do you mean by "troubled sensor of the 5200 and 7100???

Between the two, the 70D seems like a far better all-around system, especially with its video-AF. Plus a better UI.

But yeah, this is my first DSLR too, though I've been geeking out on iPhone photography for 5 years or so. I'm finally starting to want the control that thing won't give me and idk, mirrorless isn't quite mature and settled enough for me yet, especially on the video end.

I life Nikon's color, but can't stomach their video or their UI.

Any advice out there? Again, first big-boy camera, but I am familiar with all the concepts and want a solid still AND video shooter that I can grow with. I feel like the 5300 doesn't fit that.

Maybe some more in-depth study for you. Maybe the 5300 isn't the camera for you, but there are many more variables which you might want to study before deciding.

Best regards,

Lin

JamieHD
Like?
In reply to Lin Evans, 7 months ago

Sorry, D5300 has a different processor, not sensor. The D7100 and D5200 share a similar processor and both suffer from banding issues in low light at certain ISOs.

I've been looking into all of this for 4 months now. I need a shooter that's as good in video as it is for stills (I trade in both). I'll be using it for some pro work, but don't have the budget for pro-line cameras right now (and am still learning anyway, but I'm no noob). I don't need a camera for "life's moments." That's a cell phone, I always have the iPhone in my pocket and that camera will keep getting better and better.

My options are to either get a D70 (similar mid-range camera) to use. Or, get a refurbed D5100 or T3i or similar (usable and cheap) and save what's needed for a 5D mark 3 or similar.

That's where things currently stand.

Jean Daniel Villiers
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to Lin Evans, 7 months ago

The Nikon D5300 sensor is different to the D7100/D5200, both physically and performance. You can search for it here and by performance I mean it got rid of the Banding found in the D5200/D7100 sensor.

What people don't understand is that Nikon has changed it system to get video out of the high resolution photographic sensor to 2 megapixel HD resolution. While until now most manufactuer like Canon use what we call line skipping (reading only some rows of the sensor and leaving gaps) which brought about moire/aliasing artifact to these cameras. Nikon uses another system call pixel binning. So they read a lot more pixel out of the sensor and rescale it as you would do in photoshop. This has many advantages like you can get higher resolution, very negligible moire/aliasing and better low light. This is a test of low light between Canon 5dmark 3 and D5200 https://vimeo.com/60135187 and as you can see the D5200 held it own against the Full frame Canon which in video is much better than the D800 which does line skipping. The 5dmark 3 being the lowest price Canon dslr that uses pixel binning.

The Canon 70D is basically the same low resolution image of the first DSLR with moire and aliasing with the only advantage being it autofocus for video/liveview.  You can follow a thread on the D5300 where we are testing it http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?316146-Nikon-D5300-video-samples . The latest finding is that it has the highest DR for a dslr and that like the D5200 no moire/aliasing artifact, same super lowlight and added 60 fps 1080p for slow-motion. While it has a lower internal  bitrate codec than the 70D, it has uncompressed hdmi out that can be captured with and external recorder in 220 mbits Prores format. The only thing missing in terms of image quality would be 10 bit output.

Unfortunately most video website/blog are Canon bias because of the success of the 5dmark2 and they treat it just like a minor update to the D5200. In video where noise is more annoying, the removal of banding is in itself a very big update.

BJBBJB
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
In reply to Tabashira, 7 months ago

I have been going through a similar analysis, Nikon vs. Canon as it relates to video. I shoot stills and video and have a lot of Nikon equipment and would like to stay in that camp. However out of all the pros and cons listed above, the video autofocus improvement on the 70D is the biggest thing to me vs. Nikon.

I would love it if Nikon came out with something similar for video focus. Model announcements seem to be at various times of the year now. When is the next show/announcement window for new cameras?
BJBBJB

tedandtricia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088Gear list
Like?
In reply to Miki Nemeth, 6 months ago

Miki Nemeth wrote:

Cons both for Canon 70D and Nikon D5300

• No focus peaking neither in Canon 70D nor in Nikon D5300. Focus peaking could be very useful for manual focusing in video mode. Practically, it can completely replace the arcane and cumbersome mechanical follow focus solutions on video rigs. I experimented with the focus peaking features of newer mirrorless cameras: Panasonic GX7, G6, Olympus E-P5 and E-M1, and I found them great. Nikon D5300 could have been the 1st DSLR that would have supported focus peaking, but Nikon missed this feature. On the other hand, when recording action events no time for focus peaking and robust autofocusing (with reliable subject tracking) may be much more useful.

Can't believe that in this day and age, it's still so hard to do handheld MF video on a DSLR.

When a DSLR has a focus peaking feature that can be used in video recording, I'll be buying it, whatever brand it is.

tedandtricia's gear list:tedandtricia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads