DPReview Buyers Guide | Compact Cameras

Started Oct 17, 2013 | Discussions
Ed Law
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
DPReview Buyers Guide | Compact Cameras
Oct 17, 2013

Thinking about adding a compact as I am aging it is more difficult to handle the DSLRs and accessories. The 'Travel' compact hit it; and, I would like high end .. but, there is no listing or recommendations as to which.

As there are so many, couldn't we have them narrowed down to just a few.. ??

-- hide signature --

Old Ed, on Pensacola Bay

Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,267Gear list
Like?
Re: DPReview Buyers Guide | Compact Cameras
In reply to Ed Law, Oct 17, 2013

Ed Law wrote:

Thinking about adding a compact as I am aging it is more difficult to handle the DSLRs and accessories. The 'Travel' compact hit it; and, I would like high end .. but, there is no listing or recommendations as to which.

As there are so many, couldn't we have them narrowed down to just a few.. ??

I don't think that you can narrow things down much for an individual user. Look at the categories the survey gives you, and decide which of these you fit in. That will narrow things down to start with:

Are you an 'enthusiast' (more manual control, bigger sensor, maximum zoom x 7)?

Do you need a CHEAP compact (pocket size, CCD sensor, maximum zoom 12)?

Then you get the long zoom travel pocket compacts up to 24x zoom, the more expensive ones have BSI CMOS sensors for more dynamic range.

Then there are the bridge cameras, almost the size of a DSLR, generally now with BSI CMOS sensors, zoom up to 60x.

All of these should be able to do HD720p video, most will do HD1080p video.

Within these categories, some of these have GPS for tagging your pictures with the precise location, some will have Wifi - wireless communication for transferring your pictures to your computer without a cable, or even for uploading to your favourite sharing site via a 'hot spot' in public places.

For example - I am a long zoom pocket compact freak doing rental ads, art cataloguing, moon and bird stills and video, also documentation for electronic repairs, and videos of our Morris dance performances as well as for cataloguing the dances and tunes I am expected to be familiar with.

I need the available battery power for videos, therefore I exclude models with GPS and Wifi.

If none of these choices apply to you, tell me, and we may be able to narrow things down from YOUR requirements.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads