PENTAX SMC DA 70mm f/2.4 AL Limited

Started 10 months ago | User reviews
Robert A F
Regular MemberPosts: 380Gear list
Like?
PENTAX SMC DA 70mm f/2.4 AL Limited
10 months ago

The Sharpest lens in my arsenal of optics. Might be the sharpest of all APS-C dedicated lenses on the market. Build quality and compactness second to none.
Seize The Day!

Robert A F's gear list:Robert A F's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon Df +1 more
Robert A F's score
Average community score
Tan68
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,117Gear list
Like?
Re: PENTAX SMC DA 70mm f/2.4 AL Limited
In reply to Robert A F, 10 months ago

Carpe DA !

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
samhain
Senior MemberPosts: 1,105
Like?

Not the sharpest, but a good one.
I think the 43mm & 55mm hold the title.
(I think the 77mm might have it beat too, can't remember the photozone test scores off the top of my head).

Robert A F
Like?
In reply to samhain, 10 months ago

samhain wrote:

Not the sharpest, but a good one.
I think the 43mm & 55mm hold the title.
(I think the 77mm might have it beat too, can't remember the photozone test scores off the top of my head).

Center to edge sharpness is progressively better for landscapes than the 43 or 77. I will give up speed for a well corrected lens any day. 55 was designed as a portrait lens. So (70) yes, the sharpest.A lens is more than how sharp it is in the center.Your mileage may vary.

Cheers, Robert

Robert A F
Like?
In reply to Tan68, 10 months ago

Tan68 wrote:

Carpe DA !

Carpe DA :0)

mauritsvw
Senior MemberPosts: 1,017Gear list
Like?
In reply to samhain, 10 months ago

Isn't the FA50 mm f2.8 macro the sharpest? I've heard that somewhere.

mauritsvw's gear list:mauritsvw's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Pentax K-5 +1 more
Tan68
Like?
In reply to mauritsvw, 10 months ago

He did say 'might be the sharpest' rather than 'is sharpest'.

Perhaps something like 'the DA70 is among the sharpest' would have been less risky and open to suggestion  :^)

Robert A F
Like?
In reply to mauritsvw, 10 months ago

mauritsvw wrote:

Isn't the FA50 mm f2.8 macro the sharpest? I've heard that somewhere.

I was just trying to make the owners of other brands feel insecure

Sleepless nights ahead for Olysoncankon users.

Cheers, Robert

Robert A F
Like?

Tan68 wrote:

Perhaps something like 'the DA70 is among the sharpest' would have been less risky and open to suggestion  :^)

Along those same lines I might say also that the 70mm often provides that elusive 3D effect that photographers like to talk about. I think there is 3D effect from either having  a large maximum aperture lens like a f/1.4 or just having a background that is far enough away to give that nice soft out of focus effect no matter the f/ stop or that magic light of a low sun separating scene elements.  I used to use a Leica M4P for my light weight black and white work. That camera and three basic lenses (28, 50, 90) had that magic often. Now I'm noticing that pure separation of elements in a scene from my 70mm and my newly acquired 60-250mm that I used to experience from the Leica. The K5 resolution might have something to do with it also. The Leica and Pentax 3D effect that I notice is from pure contrast, resolution and color separation. I use all of the DA Limiteds except the 40mm and the 70mm has that"magic" often.

I would like to hear other opinions on the paint brushes you use. Now I'm really out on a limb.

Robert

SBS
SBS
Senior MemberPosts: 1,621
Like?
"The Sharpest lens in my arsenal of optics."

Mine too.

(My arsenal: 15, 21, 31, 43, 70, 77, 100.)

Tan68
Like?

I use 15, 21, 77

I struggled over the 70 v. 77mm.  The 70 is smaller and lighter (if you count ounces when you travel).  At the time, the price of the 70 had risen to quite close to the 77 so I went FA.  Now the FA costs more again...

I am pretty happy with these three lenses.  I use the 77 quite often.

When I think I will be around animals, I take a Tamron 70-300 Di.

I do have other lenses, but I don't really use them...

fakuryu
Contributing MemberPosts: 968Gear list
Like?

Robert A F wrote:

The Sharpest lens in my arsenal of optics. Might be the sharpest of all APS-C dedicated lenses on the market. Build quality and compactness second to none.
Seize The Day!

+1 for the DA70

I have the DA40 and DA70, might get a HD 35 macro Limited in the future because of some product photography that I'm into right now if it pays well enough.

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
britcam
Senior MemberPosts: 1,915Gear list
Like?

Robert A F wrote:

Tan68 wrote:

Perhaps something like 'the DA70 is among the sharpest' would have been less risky and open to suggestion :^)

Along those same lines I might say also that the 70mm often provides that elusive 3D effect that photographers like to talk about. I think there is 3D effect from either having a large maximum aperture lens like a f/1.4 or just having a background that is far enough away to give that nice soft out of focus effect no matter the f/ stop or that magic light of a low sun separating scene elements. I used to use a Leica M4P for my light weight black and white work. That camera and three basic lenses (28, 50, 90) had that magic often. Now I'm noticing that pure separation of elements in a scene from my 70mm and my newly acquired 60-250mm that I used to experience from the Leica. The K5 resolution might have something to do with it also. The Leica and Pentax 3D effect that I notice is from pure contrast, resolution and color separation. I use all of the DA Limiteds except the 40mm and the 70mm has that"magic" often.

I would like to hear other opinions on the paint brushes you use. Now I'm really out on a limb.

Robert

I noticed significantly more "3D effect" when using my 60-250 and 70 last week in Giverny then Paris. Very different subject matter of course. This with my K5IIs, and is much more than I have seen in the past using a K5, K-01 and K30. Edges seem to me more defined, so perhaps it is a result of higher resolution, contrast & those lenses .....

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Pentax MX-1 Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-01 +11 more
Robert A F
Like?

I came really close to buying the 77 when I was deciding between the two. About 4 years ago the 77 was alot higher in price. I haven't noticed too many photos posted with these two lenses. I think they are both great, a person can't go wrong with either.

Robert A F
Like?
In reply to britcam, 10 months ago

I noticed significantly more "3D effect" when using my 60-250 and 70 last week in Giverny then Paris. Very different subject matter of course. This with my K5IIs, and is much more than I have seen using past using a K5, K-01 and K30. Edges seem to me more defined, so perhaps it is a result of higher resolution, contrast & those lenses .....

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

I agree completely. A K5IIs or K3 is in my future.

britcam
Senior MemberPosts: 1,915Gear list
Like?
In reply to fakuryu, 10 months ago

fakuryu wrote:

Robert A F wrote:

Seize The Day!

+1 for the DA70

I have the DA40 and DA70, might get a HD 35 macro Limited in the future because of some product photography that I'm into right now if it pays well enough.

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

I have those lenses as well - the 35 macro, 40, and 70.

I've started getting into the habit of taking a prime along with a DA zoom so as to get a very flexible and high IQ combo that takes up very little space. Two zooms is often overkill, but a small prime and a zoom is about right I reckon ...

So for me, its the 35 or the 40 that takes a ride, with either the 50-135 or the 60-250 .... Otherwise its the 70 with the 16-50.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Pentax MX-1 Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-01 +11 more
Tan68
Like?

Most of the pictures I have posted recently have been taken with the 77mm.  I use it more that just quite often, actually...

SBS
SBS
Senior MemberPosts: 1,621
Like?

Robert A F wrote:

I came really close to buying the 77 when I was deciding between the two. About 4 years ago the 77 was alot higher in price. I haven't noticed too many photos posted with these two lenses. I think they are both great, a person can't go wrong with either.

Or better yet, both. I have both and use them differently. Although, the 70 translates to an ideal focal length for portraits (105mm), I do not consider this the ideal portrait lens, except maybe, for men. It is sharp to a fault. If you shoot a women with this lens, you better be prepared to do some skin softening in post processing. This makes it an interesting lens for male portraits, and of course, landscapes, architecture, etc. I also like to use it at wedding receptions with flash, because it produces contrasty, punchy images with flash. The 77 is certainly sharp enough, but it also has a photographic depth and complexity that creates intrigue. I'm sorry, but you simply must have both of them. There is more to the character of lenses than sharpness and focal length. These two lenses are some of the best lenses that Pentax makes, as well as some of the best lenses made by any producer.

Robert A F
Like?
In reply to SBS, 10 months ago

SBS wrote:

Robert A F wrote:

Or better yet, both. I have both and use them differently. Although, the 70 translates to an ideal focal length for portraits (105mm), I do not consider this the ideal portrait lens, except maybe, for men. It is sharp to a fault. If you shoot a women with this lens, you better be prepared to do some skin softening in post processing. This makes it an interesting lens for male portraits, and of course, landscapes, architecture, etc. I also like to use it at wedding receptions with flash, because it produces contrasty, punchy images with flash. The 77 is certainly sharp enough, but it also has a photographic depth and complexity that creates intrigue. I'm sorry, but you simply must have both of them. There is more to the character of lenses than sharpness and focal length. These two lenses are some of the best lenses that Pentax makes, as well as some of the best lenses made by any producer.

Well said. Now I'm thinking 77mm for my arsenol.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads