Are you tempted to switch to Sony A7 or get one as well as your Fuji?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,572Gear list
Like?
Are you tempted to switch to Sony A7 or get one as well as your Fuji?
9 months ago

A small compact full frame with those absolutely gorgeous 24 and 36mp sensors is very tempting.

How many are tempted?

Greg.

Alexander Barus
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?
Re: Are you tempted to switch to Sony A7 or get one as well as your Fuji?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 9 months ago

Nah, can't be bothered. I am too busy shooting and learning new skills on using Fujifilm XF lenses.

-- hide signature --

Alexander Barus

Alexander Barus's gear list:Alexander Barus's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hexxthalion
Contributing MemberPosts: 524Gear list
Like?

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

A small compact full frame with those absolutely gorgeous 24 and 36mp sensors is very tempting.

How many are tempted?

Greg.

Not tempted, it's sony, it will feel like a computer and don't like the position of VF, shutter sounds and lenses. My commitment to digital last year was big fat zero, instead I invested to 2 film medium format systems. I'll wait for that organic sensor, until then I'll keep using (digital) Merrill for good light and X-Pro1 in bad light

hexxthalion's gear list:hexxthalion's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +11 more
Daniel from Bavaria
Contributing MemberPosts: 726
Like?
Nope n/t

nt

Joohan
Regular MemberPosts: 129Gear list
Like?

I have already preordered the A7R. I can't be bothered with brand loyalty. I invest mostly in m-mount lenses so I will keep the X-pro1 and have the luxury of a second body.

Joohan's gear list:Joohan's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony Alpha 7R Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
shankardarren
Regular MemberPosts: 197Gear list
Like?

Im want to be honest and say Im tempted, really tempted ! Image quality wise, I believe in Fuji's sensors and colors. But the only one thing I'm frustrated with is the autofocus ! Why, for the amount of money I paid for the X-pro1 why fuji why? I really do hope they improve it in some kinda update or their next model, or they will lose more than one customer.

shankardarren's gear list:shankardarren's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Les Lammers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,177Gear list
Like?

No. I don't need it.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?

Not for me. Looks like a good camera though.

I think with the lenses either being big and fast, or small and slow, I'll stick with DSLR when I get a FF kit.

Perfectly happy with my XF gear for now. Would like faster focusing, though.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169
Like?

How many are tempted?

Greg.

Gotta say I'm super tempted. The A7 sounds like a dream camera. I have a few nice and compact manual lenses to mate with it, but I still prefer AF. Will wait 1 year for the wide angle zoom + Zeiss portrait lens + possibly Sigma ART lenses.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

How many are tempted?

Greg.

I might get an A7 or A7R to use with M mount and Nikon AiS lenses but I won't bother with any of the current Zeiss/Sony ones, maybe if they get a fast 35 or 50 f1.4 in the future I get them.

I sold off my X-E1 kit months ago and sold my X100s and got an RX1, the RX1 isn't as nice to use as the X100s but the image quality is much better, if Fuji put a normal bayer sensor in the X100s with the same features as the current model I would get one, if the did the same with the X-E1 I would buy one of those also. how knows maybe the next X sensor will overcome the current problems with the X sensor and I'll blow the A7 out of the water.

I really liked using the X-E1 and the X100s, as cameras I think they are way ahead of Sony but as far as image quality goes I find them years behind.

Personally I don't see Sony's A7/A7R competing against Fuji's X range, The Fuji cameras are more about being small, light and quiet, the X lenses are well priced, fast and excellent, with Fuji it's more about the Rangefinder style.

I watched a "hands on" video of a guy shooting the Ar with the 24-70 lens and it looked that size of a small-ish DSLR.

From a lot of use with both the X-Pro1, X-E1 and NEX-6 I found that 3rd party manual focus lenses perform much better on the Sony and will likely perform even better on the A7.

I don't see Fuji losing too many users to the A7, only those that want/need a FF sensor,

Todd3608
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?

No way...They make Fuji's lenses seem cheap.  Plus Sony's JPEG engine is one of the worst.

How many are tempted?

Greg.

Sal18
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,881Gear list
Like?

Not at all. Love my Fujis, I know them, we are getting good results together. I'm monogamous.

Sal

Sal18's gear list:Sal18's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
shigzeo ?
Senior MemberPosts: 1,128Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joohan, 9 months ago

Joohan wrote:

I have already preordered the A7R. I can't be bothered with brand loyalty. I invest mostly in m-mount lenses so I will keep the X-pro1 and have the luxury of a second body.

We are in the same boat. I'm not a fan of Sony, but I don't have confidence in the X brand to purchase lenses. So, I'm all L and M lenses on my X. Will switch to the first reliable FF ILC camera that does what I need it to do. If it's a Sony, oh well.

shigzeo ?'s gear list:shigzeo ?'s gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
WT21
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,626Gear list
Like?
Not tempted to switch, but tempted to not get the Fuji

I am not yet a Fuji user, but the Sony gives me pause. The A7 could be used with just about ANY lens with the right adapter, include (albeit slow) AF with my Canon lenses. With Fuji, I'd have to get all new lenses. With the Sony, I could get the body first, and use existing lenses (which is good, given the lack of Sony lenses and options).

I want to see what the XE2 has to offer (faster operation, faster AF speed, wifi, touch screen for AF point selection -- I'd like to see those in there), but the Sony definitely gives pause.

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
shigzeo ?
Senior MemberPosts: 1,128Gear list
Like?
Re: Not tempted to switch, but tempted to not get the Fuji
In reply to WT21, 9 months ago

WT21 wrote:

I am not yet a Fuji user, but the Sony gives me pause. The A7 could be used with just about ANY lens with the right adapter, include (albeit slow) AF with my Canon lenses. With Fuji, I'd have to get all new lenses. With the Sony, I could get the body first, and use existing lenses (which is good, given the lack of Sony lenses and options).

I want to see what the XE2 has to offer (faster operation, faster AF speed, wifi, touch screen for AF point selection -- I'd like to see those in there), but the Sony definitely gives pause.

X ILC cameras are even more adaptable than Sony's cams are for the reason that their flange distance is even shorter than the Sony NEX cams. But Sony's cams lave less EVF lag and the new ones work on a traditional film size making old lens use better than ever.

shigzeo ?'s gear list:shigzeo ?'s gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
Stephen787
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?

How many are tempted?

Greg.

very tempted, and just by the rumors of X-E2 spec, i can say that fujifilm have zero interest in supporting higher end market. Still 16Mp, really in 2013? I gave it a few months, for news of x-pro 2 spec. By that time, the reviews and photos of A7R will be out. We can get a better understanding of A7R and the lenses stocks availability. If i do not hear some good news about full frame and high Mp from fujifilm, that i will stop buying any future fujifilm product and use my X-E1 as backup camera.

Fujifilm you can continue to kiss the lower end market user. Cant you see the number of people taking picture with their iphone and ipad, lowering price will not turn them into customer. your product will never be easier to use than their phone.

Stephen787
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
In reply to shigzeo ?, 9 months ago

shigzeo ? wrote:

Joohan wrote:

We are in the same boat. I'm not a fan of Sony, but I don't have confidence in the X brand to purchase lenses. So, I'm all L and M lenses on my X. Will switch to the first reliable FF ILC camera that does what I need it to do. If it's a Sony, oh well.

dear mister shigzeo

i am interested in buying leica M lenses for an mirroless camera from leica store in munich. which sell sec hands lenses, maybe even new leica lenses in their future wetzlar hq.

But i would like to know from you. Is the IQ better on M lenses, the X format lenses is optimize on mirrorless camera, the gap between lens element and sensor is very small. Can your M lenses still beat fuji with such disadvantage?

Can you from your photo gallery pick out the one from leica or an X or L lens?

The 60mm f2.4 fujifilm lens is so good compare to their other lenses, that i can easily pick them out from photo folder with mix lenses. Will you able to pick up photo taken from M lens?

Dankjewel

WT21
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,626Gear list
Like?

shigzeo ? wrote:

WT21 wrote:

X ILC cameras are even more adaptable than Sony's cams are for the reason that their flange distance is even shorter than the Sony NEX cams. But Sony's cams lave less EVF lag and the new ones work on a traditional film size making old lens use better than ever.

The lenses you can adapt to a Fuji X that you CAN'T adapt to SONY is a pretty small list!

Does the Fuji X have an adapter that passes AF info to/from other makers AF lenses? The nice thing about the Sony mount is that it's an open mount, so it's very easy to make adapters to Canon or Nikon lenses, that includes AF and Aperture control. I'm not aware that Fuji can do that (but maybe it can???)

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169
Like?

shigzeo ? wrote:

WT21 wrote:

X ILC cameras are even more adaptable than Sony's cams are for the reason that their flange distance is even shorter than the Sony NEX cams. But Sony's cams lave less EVF lag and the new ones work on a traditional film size making old lens use better than ever.

In reality current X cameras have troubles with wide-ish rangefinder lenses (I have several). The NEX5n worked well enough, and this time Sony emphasized on the new microlenses design so I expect it to do a decent job.

inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,108Gear list
Like?

How many are tempted?

Greg.

Wouldn't replace my Fuji but might replace my D800E - EVF+focus peaking for my MF lenses and true OLPF-less 36MP sensor is very tempting

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads