Nikon 58mm 1.4G full-size samples

Started Oct 17, 2013 | Discussions
thelenspainter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,092Gear list
Like?
Nikon 58mm 1.4G full-size samples
Oct 17, 2013

The sample images hosted on the Nikon USA site are rather microscopic in size. It seems one can find the full-size originals, plus more samples at Nikon Asia:

http://www.nikon-asia.com/en_Asia/product/nikkor-lenses/fx-format/single-focal-length/normal/af-s-nikkor-58mm-f-1-4g#gallery

thelenspainter's gear list:thelenspainter's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +4 more
HetFotoAtelier
Contributing MemberPosts: 506Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 58mm 1.4G full-size samples
In reply to thelenspainter, Oct 17, 2013

I want THIS lens

Best regards,

Peter

HetFotoAtelier's gear list:HetFotoAtelier's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon D1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Nikon Df +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fpessolano
Senior MemberPosts: 1,116
Like?

Not really impressed, but nikon samples have never been something too representative of the lens capabilities.

thelenspainter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,092Gear list
Like?
In reply to fpessolano, Oct 17, 2013

They are a bit hit-and-miss, I must admit. Most look to be full-size JPEGs from a D800, but a few have been downsized. The amount of sharpening and noise reduction is quite variable too. Certainly not how I would PP my own shots.

To me the night shot of what must be Tokyo is the most interesting. If you look really really close you can see tiny amounts of sagittal coma flare on the bright lights near the corners. It is really tiny though. Interestingly this shot was taken at f/2. Perhaps they weren't game to show what it looks like at f/1.4? Perhaps further reduction in coma was incompatible with other design goals such as the silky-smooth bokeh and OOF transition.

thelenspainter's gear list:thelenspainter's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +4 more
VertigonA380
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133
Like?

You'd think they would chose something that would produce a pleasing bokeh, Nikon if your listening get a professional to take your samples images and not just someone in the office with nothing to do.

englishfil
Regular MemberPosts: 147Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the link. Dare I say it: meh! The portrait shots exhibit truly lovely bokeh. The night portraits show interesting bokeh in the corners - a touch of the Petzval which hints at how this lens' bokeh is achieved. However, the night shot at infinity shows a flag-like coma on point sources - despite Nikon's blurb. If I did a lot of portraits and fashion I think I would buy this in a heart beat - this lens and a D800/E will compete head to head with the popular 'blad/100mm 2.2 combination; in that market this lens is a bargain. However,  I don't think this lens offers enough for the wide open/low light photography that I do to justify anywhere near the price. In the words of TV's Dragons at that price "I'm out".

englishfil's gear list:englishfil's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +11 more
ata3001
Contributing MemberPosts: 504Gear list
Like?

what is the point of this lens if we already have a 50 mm 1.4g lens?

ata3001's gear list:ata3001's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +30 more
John Motts
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,018
Like?
In reply to ata3001, Oct 17, 2013

ata3001 wrote:

what is the point of this lens if we already have a 50 mm 1.4g lens?

The 50mm f/1.4G is a lightweight lens with image quality that you could only really describe as quite good.

Nice as it is, its image quality, build quality and focussing falls some way short of the big f/1.4G boys like the 35mm and 85mm.

Also its focal length, close as it is, is significantly different from the 58mm. Some people will find 58mm more useful (others will prefer 50mm).

Island Golfer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,822
Like?
In reply to ata3001, Oct 17, 2013

More to the point, I think I could count the number of times in the past year that I've shot below F/4 on one hand. Well, maybe on half a hand. Or, possibly on one finger. My question would be, how often would I need or use something like this at $1,700?

-- hide signature --

truview

Dodi73
Senior MemberPosts: 1,436Gear list
Like?
In reply to englishfil, Oct 17, 2013

Mah

no idea for the cityscape or the landscape but both portraits look to me slightly misfocused, enough to miss that magical, crisp focus point that catch your attention. They both look soft to me. Twice soft for a lens priced so much.

Wide open old 50 f/1.8 ais (100$) manually focused on a D700. Maybe not that "bokeh" but much better sharpness and overall iq, I think..

-- hide signature --

All the best from northern Italy, Dino.
I'm on the NIK side of photography.

Dodi73's gear list:Dodi73's gear list
Nikon D600 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 3,5/18 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +5 more
mgblack74
Senior MemberPosts: 1,610Gear list
Like?
In reply to Island Golfer, Oct 17, 2013

I'm the opposite. I can can on 2 hands how often I shoot over f/4. A premium 50/55/58 lens is what I've patiently been waiting for. I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing real world reports.
--
"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

mgblack74's gear list:mgblack74's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon PC-E Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +7 more
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,682Gear list
Like?
Confirms it's not a Noct...

thelenspainter wrote:

The sample images hosted on the Nikon USA site are rather microscopic in size. It seems one can find the full-size originals, plus more samples at Nikon Asia:

http://www.nikon-asia.com/en_Asia/product/nikkor-lenses/fx-format/single-focal-length/normal/af-s-nikkor-58mm-f-1-4g#gallery

Quite a bit of coma in that night shot. But that's ok, it probably has what we're looking for otherwise.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Minimum focusing distance

Hi:

The 50mm 1.4G's minimum focusing distance is 45 cm.

The 58mm 1.4G's minimum focusing distance is 58 cm. I guess it depends upon one's shooting style but given how close the 58 is to 85, as a 50mm 1.4G owner, I'll be thinking a long time before upgrading despite the temptations of the Nano coat.

-- hide signature --

Could you all move half an inch to the left? Okay, pretend you like each other and smile.

The Andy G's gear list:The Andy G's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G
MichaelK81
Regular MemberPosts: 181
Like?
Just pre-ordered mine through B&H

After seeing those samples, the bokeh to my 50 1.4 just doesn't compare  There's that lovely creaminess in it that I currently only get from my 105 2DC.   Can't wait to get my hands on this puppy!  Hopefully NPS delivers it a little sooner!

-
MICHAEL KORMOS PHOTOGRAPHY
Fresh & Modern Family Photography
NEW YORK | SAN DIEGO
http://www.michaelkormosphotography.com

mgblack74
Senior MemberPosts: 1,610Gear list
Like?
Re: Minimum focusing distance
In reply to The Andy G, Oct 17, 2013

With respect, there is a big difference between 58 & 85. Numerically they are close, but there is a distinct difference in the look between the two focal lengths. I had the 50 1.4G but it had some limitations where I needed it most. The 58 seems promising.
--
"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

mgblack74's gear list:mgblack74's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon PC-E Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +7 more
John Motts
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,018
Like?

Island Golfer wrote:

More to the point, I think I could count the number of times in the past year that I've shot below F/4 on one hand. Well, maybe on half a hand. Or, possibly on one finger. My question would be, how often would I need or use something like this at $1,700?

Clearly this lens is not aimed at you then.

Mid-Town_Guy
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?
Re: Just pre-ordered mine through B&H
In reply to MichaelK81, Oct 17, 2013

MichaelK81 wrote:

After seeing those samples, the bokeh to my 50 1.4 just doesn't compare  There's that lovely creaminess in it that I currently only get from my 105 2DC.   Can't wait to get my hands on this puppy!  Hopefully NPS delivers it a little sooner!

-
MICHAEL KORMOS PHOTOGRAPHY
Fresh & Modern Family Photography
NEW YORK | SAN DIEGO
http://www.michaelkormosphotography.com

Your photos on your website are amazing!

-
http://500px.com/CLear_Photography

Mid-Town_Guy's gear list:Mid-Town_Guy's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
Glen78
Contributing MemberPosts: 649Gear list
Like?

The rendering of this lens is pretty spectacular. I may have to start saving my pennies for this one.

Glen78's gear list:Glen78's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +5 more
lazy lightning
Regular MemberPosts: 174
Like?

Island Golfer wrote:

-- hide signature --

truview

If you don't know the answer then I suggest spending the $1700 to purchase this lens and find out for yourself.

lazy lightning
Regular MemberPosts: 174
Like?
In reply to HetFotoAtelier, Oct 17, 2013

HetFotoAtelier wrote:

I want THIS lens

Best regards,

Peter

Me too!