FZ70 or Fuji HS50?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,945Gear list
Like?
Re: Vanyu
In reply to Sonyshine, 10 months ago

Sonyshine wrote:

djsolidsnake86 wrote:

so in conclusion with is the best?

The Canon HS50!

I assume you are joking here. Canon SX50 + Fuji HS50 = best camera!

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

 Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Setter Dog
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,710
Like?
Re: FZ70 or Fuji HS50?
In reply to Vandyu, 10 months ago

Vandyu wrote:

I think some of the guys here have gotten excellent results from the FZ70, but most of us still are longing for Panasonic to give us an upgraded FZ200 with longer reach, not the somewhat downgraded FZ70. That being said, we got what we got.

My thoughts exactly! I have the Canon SX50 and once owned the FZ200. The Canon has a truly amazing lens and the FZ200 has a fine lens and world class features. If the new Canon is announced on the 24th without significant feature improvements, I'll buy another FZ200. I really enjoy the burst and HS HD video during the hunting season with my bird dogs. For fast shooting, the EVF on the FZ200 is really excellent.

Jack

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,005Gear list
Like?
Thank You All...
In reply to Vandyu, 10 months ago

... for your comments.

A few more FZ70 posts have shown up since I asked the question.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stevie Boy Blue
Contributing MemberPosts: 747
Like?
Re: Vandyu
In reply to Vandyu, 10 months ago

Indeed, Vandyu, chromatic aberration problems were well documented re Fuji digital models of the past. It would be interesting to read/hear opinions from non biased Fuji fan-boys (or girls) whether CA/PF still affects current models sufficiently to warrant potential users being put off by such issues. Especially in this regard, it’s a shame that DPR (especially Simon Joinson ?) has failed to produce a HS50 review.

If it’s anything to go by, I have seen higher ISO Fuji shots posted in these forums that suggest CA remains an issue, but in the absence of an unbiased review, to what degree the problem exists is anyone’s guess. If there’s ever a reason for sticking with Panasonic, it has to be this manufacturer’s consistency in producing cameras not overly affected by CA/PF.

Problem is, if I pick up a HS50 and find low-ish light high ISO OOC Jpegs carry too much chroma noise or PF, I’m going to be rather annoyed that yet more post processing time will be required to make images look the way I like. Having been used to consistently good Jpegs from FZ’s, especially the 150, I’m not sure I could take to another brand that fails where Panasonic’s don’t. I’m now beginning to realise that such a switch could be a real gamble, mainly because unbiased opinions on the HS50 will be hard to come by.

Anyway, it seems you may indeed have given up on your FZ20 a little early. Don’t get me wrong, I know exactly what you mean about the model’s viewfinder being too dark to use in dim light. Believe it or not though, I remember perfecting a method of taking shots of folks partying the night away, often in extremely dark venues where subjects were hard to see even with the naked eye let alone through a viewfinder or LCD screen. It’s at times like those that I realised how invaluable the infra red auto-focus assist light is on these machines, and that aiming and guessing correctly where subjects were positioned in the frame could be perfected almost to a fine art. So much so that I was often gobsmacked by the results achievable with the FZ20.

Something that always makes me smile, however, are those photographers who claim motor zooms are too slow for parties and functions, and that too many opportunities are missed where manual zooms would catch more. Complete nonsense! If the photographer is on the ball, he or she will anticipate much of what is about to occur at a function by watching their subjects closely, and to the point that they’ll be ready for anything within their field of view. In my experience, nothing is more predictable than people and their habits, and many folks are even more predictable than others. It therefore almost doesn’t matter what type of camera one is carrying, just that it’s switched on and the appropriate finger is close to the shutter button and at the ready. Admittedly the FZ20 was slow to focus compared to modern FZs, but in truth I rarely missed a moment with that camera – and I shot countless images with the old 5mp machine. Surprisingly, although I did so purely for fun and has a hobby, word of mouth from many satisfied subjects brought in a few offers for me to shoot professionally, but for various reasons I declined before switching much more of my attention to wildlife. Alas though, regardless of what I shoot these days, I just don’t seem able to get out with my camera as often as I’d like to. Ah, such is life.

Anyway, when I get the chance, I’ll post a few of my FZ20 efforts for you to view, either here or in a separate thread. I’ll also gladly add a few samples I’ve recently shot with the more updated FZ200, as per your request.

Thanks again…

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John Miles
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,587Gear list
Like?
Re: Vandyu
In reply to Stevie Boy Blue, 10 months ago

Stevie Boy Blue wrote:

Indeed, Vandyu, chromatic aberration problems were well documented re Fuji digital models of the past. It would be interesting to read/hear opinions from non biased Fuji fan-boys (or girls) whether CA/PF still affects current models sufficiently to warrant potential users being put off by such issues. Especially in this regard, it’s a shame that DPR (especially Simon Joinson ?) has failed to produce a HS50 review.

There are test shots here between FZ50 and X-S1. You can draw your own conclusions either way:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52328933

If it’s anything to go by, I have seen higher ISO Fuji shots posted in these forums that suggest CA remains an issue, but in the absence of an unbiased review, to what degree the problem exists is anyone’s guess. If there’s ever a reason for sticking with Panasonic, it has to be this manufacturer’s consistency in producing cameras not overly affected by CA/PF.

Problem is, if I pick up a HS50 and find low-ish light high ISO OOC Jpegs carry too much chroma noise or PF, I’m going to be rather annoyed that yet more post processing time will be required to make images look the way I like. Having been used to consistently good Jpegs from FZ’s, especially the 150, I’m not sure I could take to another brand that fails where Panasonic’s don’t. I’m now beginning to realise that such a switch could be a real gamble, mainly because unbiased opinions on the HS50 will be hard to come by.

Anyway, it seems you may indeed have given up on your FZ20 a little early. Don’t get me wrong, I know exactly what you mean about the model’s viewfinder being too dark to use in dim light. Believe it or not though, I remember perfecting a method of taking shots of folks partying the night away, often in extremely dark venues where subjects were hard to see even with the naked eye let alone through a viewfinder or LCD screen. It’s at times like those that I realised how invaluable the infra red auto-focus assist light is on these machines, and that aiming and guessing correctly where subjects were positioned in the frame could be perfected almost to a fine art. So much so that I was often gobsmacked by the results achievable with the FZ20.

Something that always makes me smile, however, are those photographers who claim motor zooms are too slow for parties and functions, and that too many opportunities are missed where manual zooms would catch more. Complete nonsense!

Far from complete nonsense, the manual lens allows heads up, eye through EVF control of zoom and EV - simultaneously. The motor zoom requires the right index finger or left thumb to operate. If its the former then no EV calibration can be happening. Using motor zooms seems quick enough because it seems fast. It isn't. I own and love the FZ20. But I have shots with the FZ50 that I wouldn't even react to raise the FZ20 to.

If the photographer is on the ball, he or she will anticipate much of what is about to occur at a function by watching their subjects closely, and to the point that they’ll be ready for anything within their field of view. In my experience, nothing is more predictable than people and their habits, and many folks are even more predictable than others. It therefore almost doesn’t matter what type of camera one is carrying, just that it’s switched on and the appropriate finger is close to the shutter button and at the ready. Admittedly the FZ20 was slow to focus compared to modern FZs, but in truth I rarely missed a moment with that camera – and I shot countless images with the old 5mp machine. Surprisingly, although I did so purely for fun and has a hobby, word of mouth from many satisfied subjects brought in a few offers for me to shoot professionally, but for various reasons I declined before switching much more of my attention to wildlife. Alas though, regardless of what I shoot these days, I just don’t seem able to get out with my camera as often as I’d like to. Ah, such is life.

Anyway, when I get the chance, I’ll post a few of my FZ20 efforts for you to view, either here or in a separate thread. I’ll also gladly add a few samples I’ve recently shot with the more updated FZ200, as per your request.

Thanks again…

-- hide signature --

__________________________________________________________________________
The FZ50: DSLR handling of a bright, non-extending Leica 35-420mm F2.8-3.7 lens. I live in hope that Mr Ichiro Kitao, Mr Michiharu Uematsu and Mr Yoshiyuki Inoue have triggered the update to the FZ50. Please update the FZ50. It is unique and users of it cannot update without compromise of one or more of its combination of features. Full tribute here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=42366095 . Performace diagram here: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3862228415/photos/2623982/fz50-performance-range

 John Miles's gear list:John Miles's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
Re: Vandyu
In reply to Stevie Boy Blue, 10 months ago

Stevie Boy Blue wrote:

Indeed, Vandyu, chromatic aberration problems were well documented re Fuji digital models of the past. It would be interesting to read/hear opinions from non biased Fuji fan-boys (or girls) whether CA/PF still affects current models sufficiently to warrant potential users being put off by such issues. Especially in this regard, it’s a shame that DPR (especially Simon Joinson ?) has failed to produce a HS50 review.

Not just HS50 but every HS since HS10 including X-S1. Either it's an agenda not to show how good those Fuji cameras are or they are just receiving more from Fuji competitors.

If it’s anything to go by, I have seen higher ISO Fuji shots posted in these forums that suggest CA remains an issue, but in the absence of an unbiased review, to what degree the problem exists is anyone’s guess. If there’s ever a reason for sticking with Panasonic, it has to be this manufacturer’s consistency in producing cameras not overly affected by CA/PF.

Hmmm PF was a problem before but not anymore. Take a look at this comparison against SX40

SX40 Left - HS50 Right

Problem is, if I pick up a HS50 and find low-ish light high ISO OOC Jpegs carry too much chroma noise or PF, I’m going to be rather annoyed that yet more post processing time will be required to make images look the way I like. Having been used to consistently good Jpegs from FZ’s, especially the 150, I’m not sure I could take to another brand that fails where Panasonic’s don’t. I’m now beginning to realise that such a switch could be a real gamble, mainly because unbiased opinions on the HS50 will be hard to come by.

Again, looking at this comparison, HS50 is no slouch in high ISO compared to SX50 which produces same if not better high ISO than FZ150/200.

And here compared to SX40

Anyway, it seems you may indeed have given up on your FZ20 a little early. Don’t get me wrong, I know exactly what you mean about the model’s viewfinder being too dark to use in dim light. Believe it or not though, I remember perfecting a method of taking shots of folks partying the night away, often in extremely dark venues where subjects were hard to see even with the naked eye let alone through a viewfinder or LCD screen. It’s at times like those that I realised how invaluable the infra red auto-focus assist light is on these machines, and that aiming and guessing correctly where subjects were positioned in the frame could be perfected almost to a fine art. So much so that I was often gobsmacked by the results achievable with the FZ20.

Something that always makes me smile, however, are those photographers who claim motor zooms are too slow for parties and functions, and that too many opportunities are missed where manual zooms would catch more. Complete nonsense!

If you have tried em side by side, you will know for sure that manual zoom DOES have advantage in framing the subject quickly. Motorized zoom works fine if the subject is predictable or can wait for few seconds.

If the photographer is on the ball, he or she will anticipate much of what is about to occur at a function by watching their subjects closely, and to the point that they’ll be ready for anything within their field of view. In my experience, nothing is more predictable than people and their habits, and many folks are even more predictable than others. It therefore almost doesn’t matter what type of camera one is carrying, just that it’s switched on and the appropriate finger is close to the shutter button and at the ready. Admittedly the FZ20 was slow to focus compared to modern FZs, but in truth I rarely missed a moment with that camera – and I shot countless images with the old 5mp machine. Surprisingly, although I did so purely for fun and has a hobby, word of mouth from many satisfied subjects brought in a few offers for me to shoot professionally, but for various reasons I declined before switching much more of my attention to wildlife. Alas though, regardless of what I shoot these days, I just don’t seem able to get out with my camera as often as I’d like to. Ah, such is life.

Anyway, when I get the chance, I’ll post a few of my FZ20 efforts for you to view, either here or in a separate thread. I’ll also gladly add a few samples I’ve recently shot with the more updated FZ200, as per your request.

Thanks again…

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

 jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,945Gear list
Like?
Re: Vandyu
In reply to Stevie Boy Blue, 10 months ago

Stevie Boy said, "Surprisingly, although I did so purely for fun and as a hobby, word of mouth from many satisfied subjects brought in a few offers for me to shoot professionally, but for various reasons I declined before switching much more of my attention to wildlife."

I'd say you made a good judgement in dedicating your efforts to wildlife photography. Never have I heard a complaint from a bird, a squirrel, or other non-human creature. Dogs will even smile for you without asking. They all are much easier to please !

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

 Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stevie Boy Blue
Contributing MemberPosts: 747
Like?
Re: John M
In reply to John Miles, 10 months ago

With respect John, you do seem a little EV obsessed to me. Maybe your FZ50 and fairly constant need to keep it ISO 100 warrant a little more care than I’d expect from new FZs such as the 150, which lends itself well to shooting with a fluctuating ISO well above base and yet it consistently returns correctly exposed OOC Jpegs, ‘in my experience’.

Although I wouldn’t argue that FZ cameras of any age need a little adjustment from time to time – usually in the minus direction to avoid clipped highlights – I generally do quite well after pre-fixing Exposure Compensation to appropriate conditions. For example, a reasonable but not too bright sunny day and I may set EV to minus 1/3 of a stop, changing only if necessary either way if cloud cover allows more light through. If it’s sunny to begin with, minus 2/3rds EV is my first port of call, and often there’s no need to change from that setting at all when using the FZ150, even if ISO bumps up to 400. Detail will still be very much evident and highlights preserved. In this respect, FZs have moved on considerably since the 50, but if you continue to ignore this in favour of your old and limited machine, that’s entirely down to you. I know what it’s like to be set in one’s ways. I used to be very much like it myself.

I used to think that SLRs with their ‘manual zooms’ were the bee’s knees and the be all and end all of portrait and people photography and that I’d miss opportunities through having a motor zoom. (I did use SLRs for quite a while in my younger days.)

Actually, now I’ve learned to largely predict people at public events a little better than I used to, I doubt very much that a manual zoom camera would get me more shots than a motor zoom, regardless of whether it was a FZ50 or not. If I were to shoot an event/party tomorrow, I’d probably pick the FZ150. For indoor shots, I’d fix the EV at default and for outdoor shots begin with minus 1/3 of a stop with no likely requirements for change when shooting in shutter priority mode. I would have no qualms at all carrying the relatively light 150 around my neck all day long and two charged batteries would last 8 hours with the camera left switched on and power save mode off.

As I’d be shooting people (large ‘easy’ subjects), I’d rarely need to extend the 600mm lens beyond 300 mm, and I’d be confident that any slight detail defect that may otherwise show if the subject where otherwise small, furry or feathered will be unnoticeable in the skin and/or clothing of the people I’d be photographing. In my experience, compared to wildlife photography, snapping away at people and events is an absolute doddle. People are far, far easier to predict than the majority of wild creatures that I shoot more often these days. And therein lays the answer to ‘ALL’ public events shooting. People are predictable, are predictable and predictable. Once any photographer has developed experience in people watching and, arguably more importantly, learned just who to watch, it will not matter whether he uses a motorised zoom or manual one, simply because he will predict the focal length in advance of any behaviour worth recording and will therefore be ready to shoot as it happens. I can’t speak for you, of course John, but that is how I managed to capture events and countless images over a moderate period of time. To me, successful event shooting is much more about observation of the crowd rather than the shooting itself.

Naturally I realise that you may feel obliged to reply and perhaps praise your beloved FZ50 yet again. In all honesty though, whilst I would happily debate forever and a day that modern FZs not only shoot overall better images than the FZ50, but they’re are every bit as quick – albeit in different ways with improved continuous shooting modes and far better battery life – I frankly don’t feel I nor anyone else could sway your apparently engrained view. Who knows? One day you might just take a plunge and move on with some other camera, until which time I’ll expect you to continue singing your praises of a machine that, as far as I’m concerned, was just another flagship FZ; no more no less.

With respect, therefore, I will refrain from adding anything to this reply should you feel any requirement for the last word. As far as I’m concerned, I couldn’t say more about the FZ 50 than I’ve already mentioned since I joined DPR a few years back (since which time I’ve gone through a FZ20, FZ28, FZ38, FZ150, FZ200 and a borrowed FZ50). I would, however, always attempt to make time to write about those more modern FZs I’ve used with success, and possibly other long-zoom fixed lens models from other manufacturers I’ve yet to try. No offence intended, of course. We’ve gotta keep on smiling, and at the end of the day it’s not as if the cameras I use aren’t replaceable, or that I’d die if I never shot another photograph since the last time I ventured out with a new FZ200.

Oh, and if you have any example party/function/people shots that you managed to successfully shoot with your even older FZ20 that you’d like to share with us all, I’d be keen to see them posted. As I said to Vandyu above, I’ll try and pop a few up myself shortly. To me, nothing speaks louder than a photograph in any discussion.

In closing, please forgive my ignorance of the posting with quotes thingamajig. It’s a process with which I’m not at all familiar but I’m sure you’ll be able to decipher the parts of your post to which I refer.

Cheers…

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stevie Boy Blue
Contributing MemberPosts: 747
Like?
FZ20 EXAMPLES for *VANDYU*
In reply to Setter Dog, 10 months ago

As mentioned in my previous post Vandyu, here are some of my examples from the old FZ20. Note that all of the darker/function-type images were taken using the camera's on-board flash and in the main I could see very little through either the viewfinder or LCD screen when shooting. I simply looked for the infra-red beam to light up some section of the subject until the flash at shutter release lit them up. Good fun in practice!

Obviously these examples represent only a small amount of similar and often better shots I could pull out from countless others if I were to search my stash a little more seriously. In fairness though, I think those I've posted here - along with a few more you'll find on the first page of my DPR gallery - show what a capable camera the FZ20 was a few years back. I've mixed a few shots from two or three daytime events and added a landscape job to a fox cub and a couple of birds for generalisation.

Once I've sorted out which of my new FZ200 images to post, I'll open another thread, so you might like to keep a lookout for them later this week. Cheers...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
djsolidsnake86
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Re: Vanyu
In reply to Vandyu, 10 months ago

Vandyu wrote:

Sonyshine wrote:

djsolidsnake86 wrote:

so in conclusion with is the best?

The Canon HS50!

I assume you are joking here. Canon SX50 + Fuji HS50 = best camera!

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

only one between these 3.. FZ70, SX50 or HS50?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 4,380Gear list
Like?
Re: Vandyu
In reply to John Miles, 10 months ago

John Miles wrote:

The motor zoom requires the right index finger or left thumb to operate. If its the former then no EV calibration can be happening.

True, it may be difficult to both zoom and change EV using the shutter zoom control - so use the side switch zoom control instead - at least the FZ200 offers both options!

 kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John Miles
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,587Gear list
Like?
Re: John M
In reply to Stevie Boy Blue, 10 months ago

I am totally obsessed with EV. I have learned to gauge it when out and about, and its use is hampered only by the blank screen after each shot. If I don't get EV right it really notices. Luckily the EVF brightness is adjustable and has been near enough matched to common conditions I encounter. The number of times a shot appears on this forum which is over exposed in the presence of large banks of darker than 18% grey is notable. An EV of -1 is a common requirement, meaning -0.33EV shots are a little bright and perhaps blurred slightly for having the shutter open over long.

When in discussion about cameras, I consider it important to maintain a balance of argument. People accept that I favour the ergonomics of the FZ50, and I pretty much stay quiet about it until someone pushes a camera argument off line. The phrase 'complete nonsense' was the trigger this time. I like the recent FZ's a great deal, and fully appreciate that many people can find ownership faultless. But in the same way, the faultless state is a perceived one; not necessarily and actual one. The FZ200's OFF to EV adjusted 600mm shot is scarily long, but who knows? It's now the norm. I can't leave the FZ50 for that sort of timing. I'm used to what I have.

You say that a recent FZ can stay on for 8 hours with two batteries. This is good news. There is room for improvement in many of today's cameras with respect to a days worth of shooting at times between shots that cause cameras to close to standby. A photo every 10 minutes is a tall order for many cameras (especially our pocket ones), which is typically the shooting pattern on one of my walks around the place.

On a walk out with family or friends, I like to be able to look around and take photographs now and then; without falling behind the pack too much. Comfortable camera speed is welcome, despite there actually being no rush. That the camera is zoomed somewhere near composition by the time it reaches the eye is not a rush, but the way it is. So too is the fact that the EV display can be up in the EVF already, if I think a change is required. These are better than a second improvements in camera performance, meaning the over a second focus time for the FZ50 cannot be made up by technically faster focussing cameras. If the FZ200 were sold with focus times added to zoom to composition times, people would step back with a "Hold on a Minute!". The camera industry has successfully separated out focus time and composition time in advertising. Many commands require the camera to be drawn away from the eye. Other commands cause a momentary change or lessening of camera grip. Yet these minor performance issues go largely unnoticed.

-- hide signature --

__________________________________________________________________________
The FZ50: DSLR handling of a bright, non-extending Leica 35-420mm F2.8-3.7 lens. I live in hope that Mr Ichiro Kitao, Mr Michiharu Uematsu and Mr Yoshiyuki Inoue have triggered the update to the FZ50. Please update the FZ50. It is unique and users of it cannot update without compromise of one or more of its combination of features. Full tribute here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=42366095 . Performace diagram here: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3862228415/photos/2623982/fz50-performance-range

 John Miles's gear list:John Miles's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,945Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ20 EXAMPLES for *VANDYU*
In reply to Stevie Boy Blue, 10 months ago

What a nice set you posted from the FZ20. Maybe I did give up too soon, but it was my first digital camera coming from an excellent Nikon FA film SLR with a magnificent OVF. I just was very frustrated that I couldn't see what I was shooting indoors. But, that was then and the FZ150 is such a nice camera to work with that I don't miss the FZ20. Perhaps the FZ200 is a combination of the 20 and 150!  I'm sure I would like it, but just can't convince myself to give up the 150.

I really like your portraits in this set. And the fox is adorable. Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

 Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,945Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ70 or Fuji HS50? Or something else like...
In reply to Stevie Boy Blue, 10 months ago

Stevie Boy, I just read about a camera that I've been waiting for--well, based on what this rumor is all about. A couple of months ago, it seemed to me that the Nikon P7800 was the camera that was capturing my lust. It still looks good, but it's not the one I'll move on. Sometimes one must wait until the head recaptures control from the heart.

You know I still have my Nikon FA film SLR and wish that there were a digital version. Looks like Nikon may have one waiting in the wings. This is exciting news. OK, it's not a Panasonic, but it sure looks good. The price will probably break my heart

Fear not, I will keep the FZ150. Once a Panasonian, always a Panasonian! But I won't be buying the FZ70. However, I'm eager to see what this looks like and how the reviewers greet it. Course, it's not pocketable. Just takes me back to the good old days minus the film!

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/20/breaking-new-nikon-full-frame-hybrid-mirrorless-camera-coming-soon.aspx/

http://imaging.nikon.com/history/cousins/cousins14-e/

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

 Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stevie Boy Blue
Contributing MemberPosts: 747
Like?
Re: FZ70 or Fuji HS50? Or something else like...
In reply to Vandyu, 10 months ago

An interesting camera concept you’ve shown there Vandyu; and one that, at least in body and appearance, reminded me of this old film SLR that I still have knocking around. Not the most expensive SLR I’ve ever owned by any means, but one that produced some surprisingly decent results on a budget. It looks very retro nowadays too.

By the way, I hope to have some FZ200 images up and in another thread by mid- next week, as I’ve been a little too busy to have sorted through my examples by now. Cheers for the time being…

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ray
ray
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?
Re: Target, Best Buy, Amazon etc
In reply to tocar, 10 months ago

Office depot sell the FZ200, but does not seem to have the FZ70 as yet. But online only

 ray's gear list:ray's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
samualson
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?
Re: Joms
In reply to jcmarfilph, 10 months ago

jcmarfilph wrote:

Stevie Boy Blue wrote:

Joms

Thanks very much for posting the comparison samples. Very useful, and I genuinely appreciate the time you’ve taken to supply the info in your first post here. Cheers for offering your views…

No problem, just giving HS50 the right justice. With the choices of superzooms nowadays, it all boils down to preference as they are now at par with each in IQ.Speed/Performance/Ergonomics/Handling via manual zoom + Hybrid AF or smoother zooming in video via motorized zoom and longer FL. Take your pick!

-=[ Joms ]=-

As you always will and have Joms, everyone should know by now your "Mr Fuji "and over your dead body will anyone ever get to voice their personal opinion if it's anything other than an A+ grade for your Fuji's.

Bottom line is a few people found your beloved Fuji to not cut the mustard on the long end and they have every right to say it and believe it . Your opinion is certainly no better than theirs so when someone says Fuji didn't get it done for them that means IT DIDN'T GET IT DONE FOR THEM , PERIOD.

We all know they get it done for you though. Like i said in the past until Fuji takes first or second place in most pro reviews you have zero bragging rights , your time may come but it isn't now.

Stop intruding in every forum where someone says something slightly negative about your brand, you don't have to try and convince people every single time, everyone has a right to their own personal opinion and they certainly don't need to explain how they came to it and justified it to you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
Re: Joms
In reply to samualson, 10 months ago

samualson wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Stevie Boy Blue wrote:

Joms

Thanks very much for posting the comparison samples. Very useful, and I genuinely appreciate the time you’ve taken to supply the info in your first post here. Cheers for offering your views…

No problem, just giving HS50 the right justice. With the choices of superzooms nowadays, it all boils down to preference as they are now at par with each in IQ.Speed/Performance/Ergonomics/Handling via manual zoom + Hybrid AF or smoother zooming in video via motorized zoom and longer FL. Take your pick!

-=[ Joms ]=-

As you always will and have Joms, everyone should know by now your "Mr Fuji "and over your dead body will anyone ever get to voice their personal opinion if it's anything other than an A+ grade for your Fuji's.

Wrong. I can praise any brand if it is doing it right.

Bottom line is a few people found your beloved Fuji to not cut the mustard on the long end and they have every right to say it and believe it . Your opinion is certainly no better than theirs so when someone says Fuji didn't get it done for them that means IT DIDN'T GET IT DONE FOR THEM , PERIOD.

It is working for me because I am using it right and because it is supposed to worked as I expected it to be. PERIOD.

We all know they get it done for you though. Like i said in the past until Fuji takes first or second place in most pro reviews you have zero bragging rights , your time may come but it isn't now.

And who is #1? #1 rated by PAID or LOUSY reviewer? Anyone who believes in this lousy ranking by so called PRO reviewer is just another idiot buyer. It is no different that saying iPhone is the best camera because it ranked first in uploading garbage pictures in Flickr.

Stop intruding in every forum where someone says something slightly negative about your brand, you don't have to try and convince people every single time, everyone has a right to their own personal opinion and they certainly don't need to explain how they came to it and justified it to you.

Anyone can express his opinion especially if it is supported by facts in any forum in this site.

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

 jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads