FZ70 or Fuji HS50?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Stevie Boy Blue
Contributing MemberPosts: 748
Like?
Re: John
In reply to John Miles, 10 months ago

Yeah, I know what you mean John, thanks. For me it’s all about OOC Jpeg quality too, always has been, especially above the base setting. I do, however, have slight concerns about the Fuji. I would be buying such a camera purely for long-end focal length and the HS50 appears to churn out overly soft results at full tele, which somewhat negates the objective for making a purchase and possibly enduring consistent disappointment against the quality I enjoy from my FZ150, which is truly wonderful to say the least.

One thing I find especially off-putting about the FZ70 (72) is the lack of a lens hood; I just don’t fancy a do-it-yourself job by making an attachment a manufacturer has no excuse for not supplying and which I find completely necessary for my style of shooting.

I’ve already handled but not shot with the FZ70, so the choice is on. When I have the chance I’ll go check out the HS50 and hopefully the supplier will allow me to snap a few long end shots to my own SDHC memory card so I can bring something home to view before I part with any cash. As things stand, I believe stocks of the HS50 will be around well into next year (possibly far beyond), by which time all manner of bazooka zoomed new models from various makers will be available too. The zoom race is clearly on! And I’ll give Canon at least until the end of October this year to release a replacement for their current 1200mm offering and may even look at the Nikon one too before ultimately deciding which way to go. Cheers…

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,945Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ70 or Fuji HS50?
In reply to Stevie Boy Blue, 10 months ago

Stevie Boy, while I'd hate to see you spend your precious time over at the Fuji forum, I know that one must pursue their dream. I think some of the guys here have gotten excellent results from the FZ70, but most of us still are longing for Panasonic to give us an upgraded FZ200 with longer reach, not the somewhat downgraded FZ70. That being said, we got what we got.

I've never been a Fuji admirer. Can't say exactly why except that they seem to come very close without completely delivering. Panasonic garners more awards for good reason usually.

I've never owned a Fuji, so I have no real reason to speak up here, I guess. I did a search and came up with an interesting webpage of an HS50 owner who posts his work along with his impressions of the camera. Might be worth taking a look. Whatever you do, please know that you've been a great asset here in the Panasonic forum. Don't be a stranger if you go with Fuji!

http://www.pbase.com/merriwolf/fuji_hs50

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

 Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ70 or Fuji HS50?
In reply to Vandyu, 10 months ago

Vandyu wrote:

Stevie Boy, while I'd hate to see you spend your precious time over at the Fuji forum, I know that one must pursue their dream. I think some of the guys here have gotten excellent results from the FZ70, but most of us still are longing for Panasonic to give us an upgraded FZ200 with longer reach, not the somewhat downgraded FZ70. That being said, we got what we got.

I've never been a Fuji admirer. Can't say exactly why except that they seem to come very close without completely delivering. Panasonic garners more awards for good reason usually.

HS cameras usually need tweaking to get the best quality. Reviewers are often mistakenly reviewing HS camera as chewtoy in auto-mode which is its weakest department so images will end up being average if not at par. If you do proper testing, you will see that it will deliver at par or better quality than competitors. (see my HS50 vs. SX50 comparison).

I've never owned a Fuji, so I have no real reason to speak up here, I guess. I did a search and came up with an interesting webpage of an HS50 owner who posts his work along with his impressions of the camera. Might be worth taking a look. Whatever you do, please know that you've been a great asset here in the Panasonic forum. Don't be a stranger if you go with Fuji!

http://www.pbase.com/merriwolf/fuji_hs50

Another testament that HS50 is a great camera when handled properly.

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

 jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,945Gear list
Like?
Hmm. Interesting Question
In reply to Henry Falkner, 10 months ago

Henry asked, "Are the FZ70 owners keeping quiet because the FZ200 guys shout them down here?"

I don't know. What do others think? I never viewed FZ200 owners as shouters. More like demonstrative persuaders

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

 Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,945Gear list
Like?
Re: Looking for FZ70 postings also
In reply to Holmes375, 10 months ago

Holmes375 wrote:

Henry Falkner wrote:

....Are the FZ70 owners keeping quiet because the FZ200 guys shout them down here?

Henry

I hardly believe that is the case here. Have you seen notable evidence of this "shouting down"?

I doubt the FZ70 will ever see a large presence in this forum and I'm beginning to think it won't ever see a large presence in the real world either given Panasonic's rather obscure marketing practices. Too bad really as its no doubt a very good consumer-style bridge cam with a diverse repertoire.

-- hide signature --

I'm with you, Holmes. I'm not seeing a large chunk of Canon superzoom sales going over to Panasonic because Panasonic simply WIMPS OUT when it comes to thoughtful, creative, and dynamic marketing.

If Panasonic would have its FZ model side by side in all of the physical stores in which Canon has a presence with its SX model, then it would be a good shootout when it comes time for a purchase. Until then, Panasonic loses.

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

 Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,159Gear list
Like?
Re: Hmm. Interesting Question
In reply to Vandyu, 10 months ago

Vandyu wrote:

Henry asked, "Are the FZ70 owners keeping quiet because the FZ200 guys shout them down here?"

I don't know. What do others think? I never viewed FZ200 owners as shouters. More like demonstrative persuaders

I think the FZ70 owners don't have much of a footprint here because so few of the forum participants are purchasers. Lots of hope for a FZ200 offspring in September, but just the FZ70 appeared.

Sherm

 sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jerry045
Senior MemberPosts: 3,770Gear list
Like?
Re: Looking for FZ70 postings also
In reply to Henry Falkner, 10 months ago

I read about every post in this forum, and I really did not see anybody panning the FZ70. Sure it lacks a few features found on the FZ200, but, hey, it's half the price. It would be seriously unfair to pan a camera from that standpoint. The shots I have seen posted from the FZ70 are very good. My personal taste finds them quite acceptable.

I suspect the paucity of postings is probably due to the small percentage of users with respect to the number of FZ200 users. I think we saw the same thing with the FZ60. Postings from that camera were few and far between, and certainly not related to image quality.

I certainly would welcome more FZ70 postings. I still think the person pushing the button can do more for the photograph than the hardware. Unless you are a compulsive pixel peeper, pretty much all cameras marketed these days take acceptable photos. Significantly higher image quality is usually related to significantly higher prices, but in diminishing returns.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/av8tor045
Jerry

 Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sactojim
Senior MemberPosts: 2,961
Like?
Re: FZ70 or Fuji HS50?
In reply to jcmarfilph, 10 months ago

jcmarfilph wrote:

Vandyu wrote:

Stevie Boy, while I'd hate to see you spend your precious time over at the Fuji forum, I know that one must pursue their dream. I think some of the guys here have gotten excellent results from the FZ70, but most of us still are longing for Panasonic to give us an upgraded FZ200 with longer reach, not the somewhat downgraded FZ70. That being said, we got what we got.

I've never been a Fuji admirer. Can't say exactly why except that they seem to come very close without completely delivering. Panasonic garners more awards for good reason usually.

HS cameras usually need tweaking to get the best quality. Reviewers are often mistakenly reviewing HS camera as chewtoy in auto-mode which is its weakest department so images will end up being average if not at par. If you do proper testing, you will see that it will deliver at par or better quality than competitors. (see my HS50 vs. SX50 comparison).

I've never owned a Fuji, so I have no real reason to speak up here, I guess. I did a search and came up with an interesting webpage of an HS50 owner who posts his work along with his impressions of the camera. Might be worth taking a look. Whatever you do, please know that you've been a great asset here in the Panasonic forum. Don't be a stranger if you go with Fuji!

http://www.pbase.com/merriwolf/fuji_hs50

Another testament that HS50 is a great camera when handled properly.

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

Looking at the pbase site shows the big majority of images to be heavily processed to the point of HDR. Not saying they are not attractive, but certainly they are not natural colors. I think the downside of the HS series is the vast majority of buyers don't know to try the various settings..and why would they as Fuji makes no mention of adjustments/changes. The Pannys, Canons, Nikons all make it much easier to get a sharp image, even in auto mode.

Regarding FZ70: I was very surprised to see one at my local Target store here in N. California! It's the first and only FZ I have seen at Target. Even BestBuy does not carry the FZ series, although once in awhile, Frys (rarely) and Costco (sometimes) have them displayed. Same with Fuji..they push the lower end S2000 something to S4500 somethings, but never a HS, or heaven forbid, their XS-1.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tocar
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,150
Like?
Re: FZ70 or Fuji HS50?
In reply to Sactojim, 10 months ago

I have the Canon SX50 and was at Target the other day and saw the Panasonic FZ70 and it looked pretty good but it wasn't working.  The size is a bit bigger which will aid in steadier hand holding.  Target has the lowest price compared with BestBuy and even Amazon.  The thing that caught my eye was that it offered a wider field of view.  I know people buy these cameras for it's tele capability but sometimes forget the wide end.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,945Gear list
Like?
Re: Looking for FZ70 postings also
In reply to Jerry045, 10 months ago

Excellent point, Jerry. I think a lot of regulars here already have the FZ200 and don't see a reason to upgrade unless they are seriously missing some extra zoom. The FZ150 owners were lured by the constant 2.8 of the FZ200, so that upgrade path was understandable, plus the 200 had other improvements. The FZ70 offers mostly extended range as its drawing card. Not everyone feels they need that and are willing to give up the benefits of the FZ200. Perhaps more FZ70 galleries will show up as time passes and new owners discover this great forum.

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

 Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stevie Boy Blue
Contributing MemberPosts: 748
Like?
Re: Vanyu
In reply to Vandyu, 10 months ago

Thank you for the kind words, especially in terms of your believing “I’ve been a great asset here in the Panasonic forum”, Vandyu. I’m not sure all visitors would agree but the truth is, I’m only too pleased to offer help wherever I can, and I’d like to think I’ve helped a number of users along the way to using FZ camera whilst I’ve been posting in my on and off fashion over the years.

Anyway, I doubt that I’ll be deserting the Panasonic forum anytime soon. Even if I do buy a Fuji HS50, or any other make of camera, I’ll still be shooting from time to time with my beloved FZ150, so I’ll occasionally feel obliged to share the odd result here occasionally. I’ll probably be tempted to post comparison shots from other makers too, assuming I feel they’re on a par with or better than the Panasonic versions.

I appreciate that you’ve never owned a Fuji. I’ve had a couple of their compact film cameras over the years myself, but have no hands-on experience of Fuji digital. That said, amongst many Fuji images I’ve seen spoiled by purple fringing/CA, and excessive amounts of croma noise mingled in fur and feather detail, I’ve also come across some pretty excellent shots when the cameras have been in the right hands and shooting conditions ideal. By far the best digital image of a frog on a lily pad that I’ve ever seen in my life was shot by an acquaintance of mine who used an old s1000, or whatever the model number was around 2003. He also had a collection of very impressive low light photos he’d taken at dusk/sunset. Hence I’ve no reservations about garnering good results from an HS50, beyond the apparent limitations I’m told come into to play at the longer end of the lens, which, to me, is the most important aspect of any camera used for wildlife/small bird photography. The fact is, if the HS50 or whatever camera cannot render crisp and punchy OOC Jpegs at maximum telephoto more often than it fails to do so, then the model won’t be for me. No point in messing around attempting to make silk purses from sows’ ears, as the old saying goes. Something will be released soon I'm sure, that’s if the HS50, SX50, FZ70 or Nikon P-whatever it is doesn’t match my ideals already.

I also have reservations re the FZ70, least of all because the camera does not come with and has no slots on the lens barrel for a lens hood, which is vital for any wildlife photographer. I don’t care that Panasonic may have struggled to shape an appropriate hood to prevent it masking the wider angle to any degree, but in my opinion there’s no excuse for them not sorting out and supplying an appropriate hood. I’m certainly not prepared to conduct any sort of DIY job either.

Despite that the FZ70 (72) appears as though it will handle well in the field, after viewing one around three-weeks ago, I actually walked out of the shop with a FZ200 at a price that suited me well at the time. Thing is, the FZ200 doesn’t solve my long end dilemma. In fact, and in rather humorous fashion, I've given myself an additional problem because despite various in-camera settings and attempts to obtain the quality from FZ200 Jpegs I see from the FZ150, the FZ200’s left lacking in some way.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not averse to more trial and error and fiddling around with the 200’s settings, and I’m confident I can eventually achieve more satisfying results, but it is frustrating knowing that it took me less than two short sessions and about 500 shots to set up the FZ150 exactly to my liking, yet 10 or 12 sessions and around 3,500 shots into the FZ200 have left me only a little wiser as to where I’m headed. In short, from the first week I used the FZ150, I was and still am blown away by the results this camera produces. Often a FZ150 Jpeg has given me the ‘wow’ factor, where I’ve thought to myself or said to others, ‘blimey, just look at that for a picture!’ In truth, FZ150 photos can POP right out at the viewer and are often in no way hampered by the noise that may be present to some degree.

Thus far I cannot say the same of the FZ200 in the absence a little more fine tuning in camera and with additional need for some PP. Although I have more FZ200 in-camera adjustments to make, it’s already easy to conclude that I’ll struggle to match the consistency in OOC Jpeg quality I’ve enjoyed for so long with the FZ150. Even with the in-camera sharpening set to default, noise is far more obvious and interferes more with Jpeg quality than it ever could with the FZ150. In fairness only those having used both cameras for shooting fur and feather may notice this and, as I’ve said, I have more adjustments to make and experiments to conduct, with the bonus being that the higher resolution of the FZ200 viewfinder offers less in the way of eye strain than the 150 gives me. Ultimately, however, it is OOC images that matter to me most. And in the event I cannot remain entirely satisfied with FZ200 photos, the camera will be reserved purely for shooting at dusk and on really dull days with the ceiling ISO set to a maximum 400 (a good replacement for my ancient FZ20, which I will now sell). For all other eventualities, however, it could well be the FZ150 every time I work up to 600mm. Hmm, it looks like I'm still waiting for that true all-in-one jobby then!

Thanks again for posting…

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
Re: Vanyu
In reply to Stevie Boy Blue, 10 months ago

Stevie Boy Blue wrote:

Thank you for the kind words, especially in terms of your believing “I’ve been a great asset here in the Panasonic forum”, Vandyu. I’m not sure all visitors would agree but the truth is, I’m only too pleased to offer help wherever I can, and I’d like to think I’ve helped a number of users along the way to using FZ camera whilst I’ve been posting in my on and off fashion over the years.

Anyway, I doubt that I’ll be deserting the Panasonic forum anytime soon. Even if I do buy a Fuji HS50, or any other make of camera, I’ll still be shooting from time to time with my beloved FZ150, so I’ll occasionally feel obliged to share the odd result here occasionally. I’ll probably be tempted to post comparison shots from other makers too, assuming I feel they’re on a par with or better than the Panasonic versions.

I appreciate that you’ve never owned a Fuji. I’ve had a couple of their compact film cameras over the years myself, but have no hands-on experience of Fuji digital. That said, amongst many Fuji images I’ve seen spoiled by purple fringing/CA, and excessive amounts of croma noise mingled in fur and feather detail, I’ve also come across some pretty excellent shots when the cameras have been in the right hands and shooting conditions ideal. By far the best digital image of a frog on a lily pad that I’ve ever seen in my life was shot by an acquaintance of mine who used an old s1000, or whatever the model number was around 2003. He also had a collection of very impressive low light photos he’d taken at dusk/sunset. Hence I’ve no reservations about garnering good results from an HS50, beyond the apparent limitations I’m told come into to play at the longer end of the lens, which, to me, is the most important aspect of any camera used for wildlife/small bird photography. The fact is, if the HS50 or whatever camera cannot render crisp and punchy OOC Jpegs at maximum telephoto more often than it fails to do so, then the model won’t be for me. No point in messing around attempting to make silk purses from sows’ ears, as the old saying goes. Something will be released soon I'm sure, that’s if the HS50, SX50, FZ70 or Nikon P-whatever it is doesn’t match my ideals already.

SOOC JPEGS from HS50?

Ain't sharp for yah?

I also have reservations re the FZ70, least of all because the camera does not come with and has no slots on the lens barrel for a lens hood, which is vital for any wildlife photographer. I don’t care that Panasonic may have struggled to shape an appropriate hood to prevent it masking the wider angle to any degree, but in my opinion there’s no excuse for them not sorting out and supplying an appropriate hood. I’m certainly not prepared to conduct any sort of DIY job either.

Despite that the FZ70 (72) appears as though it will handle well in the field, after viewing one around three-weeks ago, I actually walked out of the shop with a FZ200 at a price that suited me well at the time. Thing is, the FZ200 doesn’t solve my long end dilemma. In fact, and in rather humorous fashion, I've given myself an additional problem because despite various in-camera settings and attempts to obtain the quality from FZ200 Jpegs I see from the FZ150, the FZ200’s left lacking in some way.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not averse to more trial and error and fiddling around with the 200’s settings, and I’m confident I can eventually achieve more satisfying results, but it is frustrating knowing that it took me less than two short sessions and about 500 shots to set up the FZ150 exactly to my liking, yet 10 or 12 sessions and around 3,500 shots into the FZ200 have left me only a little wiser as to where I’m headed. In short, from the first week I used the FZ150, I was and still am blown away by the results this camera produces. Often a FZ150 Jpeg has given me the ‘wow’ factor, where I’ve thought to myself or said to others, ‘blimey, just look at that for a picture!’ In truth, FZ150 photos can POP right out at the viewer and are often in no way hampered by the noise that may be present to some degree.

Thus far I cannot say the same of the FZ200 in the absence a little more fine tuning in camera and with additional need for some PP. Although I have more FZ200 in-camera adjustments to make, it’s already easy to conclude that I’ll struggle to match the consistency in OOC Jpeg quality I’ve enjoyed for so long with the FZ150. Even with the in-camera sharpening set to default, noise is far more obvious and interferes more with Jpeg quality than it ever could with the FZ150. In fairness only those having used both cameras for shooting fur and feather may notice this and, as I’ve said, I have more adjustments to make and experiments to conduct, with the bonus being that the higher resolution of the FZ200 viewfinder offers less in the way of eye strain than the 150 gives me. Ultimately, however, it is OOC images that matter to me most. And in the event I cannot remain entirely satisfied with FZ200 photos, the camera will be reserved purely for shooting at dusk and on really dull days with the ceiling ISO set to a maximum 400 (a good replacement for my ancient FZ20, which I will now sell). For all other eventualities, however, it could well be the FZ150 every time I work up to 600mm. Hmm, it looks like I'm still waiting for that true all-in-one jobby then!

Thanks again for posting…

The key to sharp tele images is the image stabilization and from my experience, SX50 has the best IS. I'm guessing (based on sample images I've seen) FZ70 has a weaker IS and is about the same as HS50. But what is the trick to get sharp image always from HS50? You shoot in continuous mode and pick the best from the bunch.

-=[ Joms ]=-

 jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stevie Boy Blue
Contributing MemberPosts: 748
Like?
Re: Vanyu
In reply to jcmarfilph, 10 months ago

Joms, thanks for posting these examples. For OOC shots they look okay to me, assuming that they’re all taken at full zoom. It’s a shame that EXIF data is missing, as I would have had an instant idea of what the HS50 is capable of and what ISO and shutter speeds were used, etc. Anyway, I’ve no problem with your idea that the best way to drag consistency from the HS50 at the long end for birding is to shoot lots of images in continuous mode.

I’ve been using that method to good effect with FZ cameras for years, with an average return of 2 or 3 clear/detailed photos from every 6 or so when shooting shifty/twitchy little birds. If the HS50 can render a similar number of hits in similar circumstances I’d definitely be keen to have a closer look at the model in the shop. That said, I still wouldn’t commit to anything until I see what Canon might offer before the end of this month. Rumour suggests that they could be about to announce a replacement for the SX50 (or whatever their current 1200mm camera's called), maybe sometime this week.

Cheers…

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
Re: Vanyu
In reply to Stevie Boy Blue, 10 months ago

Stevie Boy Blue wrote:

Joms, thanks for posting these examples. For OOC shots they look okay to me, assuming that they’re all taken at full zoom. It’s a shame that EXIF data is missing, as I would have had an instant idea of what the HS50 is capable of and what ISO and shutter speeds were used, etc. Anyway, I’ve no problem with your idea that the best way to drag consistency from the HS50 at the long end for birding is to shoot lots of images in continuous mode.

I’ve been using that method to good effect with FZ cameras for years, with an average return of 2 or 3 clear/detailed photos from every 6 or so when shooting shifty/twitchy little birds. If the HS50 can render a similar number of hits in similar circumstances I’d definitely be keen to have a closer look at the model in the shop. That said, I still wouldn’t commit to anything until I see what Canon might offer before the end of this month. Rumour suggests that they could be about to announce a replacement for the SX50 (or whatever their current 1200mm camera's called), maybe sometime this week.

Cheers…

I have posted the RAW version of those on page 1 with EXIF. They are all at full zoom and handheld. If you can get sharp photos at 600mm in your FZ150/FZ200, it's because the FL is shorter compared to HS50 and SX50. Now with FZ70, you'll have mixed results of soft and sharp shots depending on how stable you hands are. Even when I tested SX50, I've had mixed results too. And as I have said, I have no problems getting quality shots at full zoom with HS50. Finding HS and X-S1 cameras in a store is like finding FZ200. You can only find them in huge known stores. Good luck on finding your next camera. I just gave my honest opinion and proof here that HS50 is a very capable camera and most of the folks don't see that easily.

-=[ Joms ]=-

 jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,159Gear list
Like?
Re: Vanyu
In reply to Stevie Boy Blue, 10 months ago

Stevie Boy Blue wrote:

Thank you for the kind words, especially in terms of your believing “I’ve been a great asset here in the Panasonic forum”, Vandyu. I’m not sure all visitors would agree but the truth is, I’m only too pleased to offer help wherever I can, and I’d like to think I’ve helped a number of users along the way to using FZ camera whilst I’ve been posting in my on and off fashion over the years.

Anyway, I doubt that I’ll be deserting the Panasonic forum anytime soon. Even if I do buy a Fuji HS50, or any other make of camera, I’ll still be shooting from time to time with my beloved FZ150, so I’ll occasionally feel obliged to share the odd result here occasionally. I’ll probably be tempted to post comparison shots from other makers too, assuming I feel they’re on a par with or better than the Panasonic versions.

I appreciate that you’ve never owned a Fuji. I’ve had a couple of their compact film cameras over the years myself, but have no hands-on experience of Fuji digital. That said, amongst many Fuji images I’ve seen spoiled by purple fringing/CA, and excessive amounts of croma noise mingled in fur and feather detail, I’ve also come across some pretty excellent shots when the cameras have been in the right hands and shooting conditions ideal. By far the best digital image of a frog on a lily pad that I’ve ever seen in my life was shot by an acquaintance of mine who used an old s1000, or whatever the model number was around 2003. He also had a collection of very impressive low light photos he’d taken at dusk/sunset. Hence I’ve no reservations about garnering good results from an HS50, beyond the apparent limitations I’m told come into to play at the longer end of the lens, which, to me, is the most important aspect of any camera used for wildlife/small bird photography. The fact is, if the HS50 or whatever camera cannot render crisp and punchy OOC Jpegs at maximum telephoto more often than it fails to do so, then the model won’t be for me. No point in messing around attempting to make silk purses from sows’ ears, as the old saying goes. Something will be released soon I'm sure, that’s if the HS50, SX50, FZ70 or Nikon P-whatever it is doesn’t match my ideals already.

I also have reservations re the FZ70, least of all because the camera does not come with and has no slots on the lens barrel for a lens hood, which is vital for any wildlife photographer. I don’t care that Panasonic may have struggled to shape an appropriate hood to prevent it masking the wider angle to any degree, but in my opinion there’s no excuse for them not sorting out and supplying an appropriate hood. I’m certainly not prepared to conduct any sort of DIY job either.

Despite that the FZ70 (72) appears as though it will handle well in the field, after viewing one around three-weeks ago, I actually walked out of the shop with a FZ200 at a price that suited me well at the time. Thing is, the FZ200 doesn’t solve my long end dilemma. In fact, and in rather humorous fashion, I've given myself an additional problem because despite various in-camera settings and attempts to obtain the quality from FZ200 Jpegs I see from the FZ150, the FZ200’s left lacking in some way.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not averse to more trial and error and fiddling around with the 200’s settings, and I’m confident I can eventually achieve more satisfying results, but it is frustrating knowing that it took me less than two short sessions and about 500 shots to set up the FZ150 exactly to my liking, yet 10 or 12 sessions and around 3,500 shots into the FZ200 have left me only a little wiser as to where I’m headed. In short, from the first week I used the FZ150, I was and still am blown away by the results this camera produces. Often a FZ150 Jpeg has given me the ‘wow’ factor, where I’ve thought to myself or said to others, ‘blimey, just look at that for a picture!’ In truth, FZ150 photos can POP right out at the viewer and are often in no way hampered by the noise that may be present to some degree.

Thus far I cannot say the same of the FZ200 in the absence a little more fine tuning in camera and with additional need for some PP. Although I have more FZ200 in-camera adjustments to make, it’s already easy to conclude that I’ll struggle to match the consistency in OOC Jpeg quality I’ve enjoyed for so long with the FZ150. Even with the in-camera sharpening set to default, noise is far more obvious and interferes more with Jpeg quality than it ever could with the FZ150. In fairness only those having used both cameras for shooting fur and feather may notice this and, as I’ve said, I have more adjustments to make and experiments to conduct, with the bonus being that the higher resolution of the FZ200 viewfinder offers less in the way of eye strain than the 150 gives me. Ultimately, however, it is OOC images that matter to me most. And in the event I cannot remain entirely satisfied with FZ200 photos, the camera will be reserved purely for shooting at dusk and on really dull days with the ceiling ISO set to a maximum 400 (a good replacement for my ancient FZ20, which I will now sell). For all other eventualities, however, it could well be the FZ150 every time I work up to 600mm. Hmm, it looks like I'm still waiting for that true all-in-one jobby then!

Thanks again for posting…

Perhaps start with NR-2 and Sharpen -2, with all the i. functions off.  I wonder if some of the "noise" you're seeing is the result of too much sharpening at the camera default.

Sherm

 sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
djsolidsnake86
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Re: Vanyu
In reply to sherman_levine, 10 months ago

so in conclusion with is the best?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,707Gear list
Like?
Re: Vanyu
In reply to djsolidsnake86, 10 months ago

djsolidsnake86 wrote:

so in conclusion with is the best?

The Canon HS50!  

 Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stevie Boy Blue
Contributing MemberPosts: 748
Like?
Re: Sherm
In reply to sherman_levine, 10 months ago

Noise reduction minus 2 and sharpening minus 2 was the first place I started, Sherm, based purely on a majority consensus I’d picked up from this forum over the last year. Ultimately proved too soft and smeared for me though!

I then left sharpening at default with noise reduction at minus 2. Too noisy for me, doubtlessly because as you say, the default sharpness is too sharp and exaggerates noise.

I then tried the infamous I-resolution with the same settings as first mention above. I’ve read that Gerald W is a fan of I-Res. Close inspection/pixel peeping, however, reveals that it’s obvious I-res is adding something (more artificial pixels?) to the overall resolution. It looks artificial to me in fur and feather but I’d guess would not be so obvious in images of buildings/trees/scenery and some people portrait stuff, beyond close-ups of their hair, of course.

The best setting I’ve thus far found for to my liking (and let’s face it, settings are personally subjective and relate to the subjects we shoot the most) are noise reduction minus 1 and sharpening minus 1. I doubt I’ll be employing I-res very often but I won’t be writing it off completely.

It’s too early for me to fully judge the FZ200 OOC Jpegs but I’m already with Gary S, who, like me, shoots lots of wildlife stuff and acknowledges that FZ200 images appear generally noisier than FZ150 shots. In some cases there may not be much in it, but from around 3,500 FZ200 images I’ve shot thus far, I’ve yet to see a jpeg that hasn’t required a little PP to get it to FZ150 standard. I won’t be giving in too quickly on in-camera fiddling though, as I hate post processing if it can be at all avoided. In this regard I’ve been well and truly spoiled by the FZ150.

Cheers for input…

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,945Gear list
Like?
Re: Vanyu
In reply to Stevie Boy Blue, 10 months ago

I do recall reading about chromatic aberation being a problem in some of the earlier Fuji superzooms and didn't like what I was seeing posted several years ago. I am glad that you picked up an FZ200 despite its being more challenging to configure and possibly requiring more OOC PP. I'm not fond of having to spend time in PP and that was the reason I sold my Nikon D70s.

Anyway, sounds like you are ready to sell the FZ20. That was really the superzoom (12x) that caught people's attention as far as Panasonic's being a contender in the photo world. I probably gave up on mine too early, but it's inability to allow me to focus well indoors was a game changer for me and I decided to switch to a Nikon D50. Maybe I had a bad copy, but my FZ20's EVF was so dark indoors that I couldn't see what was or wasn't in focus. Outdoors, of course, was a different matter.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz20

I'm surprized, Stevie Boy, that you aren't searching for the ideal aftermarket lens hood for the FZ70. There must be something out there. I do agree that Panasonic did a disservice to customers by not including a lens hood that could accomodate the wider end. Oh, well. Just saved them more money!

Let's see some of your FZ200 shots. If you have a chance to write a narrative with some wildlife shots explaining how you think an FZ70 might do better in particular instances, would appreciate your thoughts.

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

 Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,945Gear list
Like?
Re: Vanyu
In reply to jcmarfilph, 10 months ago

"The key to sharp tele images is the image stabilization and from my experience, SX50 has the best IS. I'm guessing (based on sample images I've seen) FZ70 has a weaker IS and is about the same as HS50. But what is the trick to get sharp image always from HS50? You shoot in continuous mode and pick the best from the bunch."  -=[ Joms ]=-

I think that philosphy goes back a while to understanding that we don't always get the right shot at the right moment and hope for something usable from the series.

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

 Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads