Samsung 20-50 lens with NX-20

Started 11 months ago | Questions
r0brwy
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Samsung 20-50 lens with NX-20
11 months ago

Has anyone used the 20-50 lens with the NX20? According to Samsung's website they are not compatible, which seems strange.  Also, can anyone tell me the differences between the original lens and the mark 2 version?

I'd like to acquire the lens, but want to know that I'm buying something thats going to work without problems.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ChuckTa
Regular MemberPosts: 396Gear list
Like?
Re: Samsung 20-50 lens with NX-20
In reply to r0brwy, 11 months ago

r0brwy wrote:

Has anyone used the 20-50 lens with the NX20? According to Samsung's website they are not compatible, which seems strange. Also, can anyone tell me the differences between the original lens and the mark 2 version?

I'd like to acquire the lens, but want to know that I'm buying something thats going to work without problems.

It's an NX mount lens, how can it be not compatible.

ChuckTa's gear list:ChuckTa's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
giliath
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?

r0brwy wrote:

Has anyone used the 20-50 lens with the NX20? According to Samsung's website they are not compatible, which seems strange. Also, can anyone tell me the differences between the original lens and the mark 2 version?

I think all the samsung NX mount lens would be compatible with NX20. And it seems most of the 20-50 on sale are mark 2 version, and they are quite cheap. (PS 18-55 III is a good choise, if you don't care too much about the size.)

giliath's gear list:giliath's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 2D/3D +1 more
arbuz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,174Gear list
Like?

I did, it works, no issues. Mark II is a bit shorter.

arbuz's gear list:arbuz's gear list
Samsung EX2F Pentax *ist DS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 +16 more
r0brwy
Like?
In reply to arbuz, 11 months ago

Many thanks to you all. You've confirmed my feelings that Samsung have an error on their web site.   I'll go ahead and buy one now.

Thanks again - your help is much appreciated

mrpics
Forum MemberPosts: 98Gear list
Like?

r0brwy wrote:

Many thanks to you all. You've confirmed my feelings that Samsung have an error on their web site. I'll go ahead and buy one now.

Thanks again - your help is much appreciated

you should consider that it is quite slow in AF. You should try it next to the 18-55, if this might become an issue for you. I am hardly ever using it, since I have the 18-55 and 12-24 which both are quicker in focus...

mrpics's gear list:mrpics's gear list
Samsung NX100 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
r0brwy
Like?
In reply to mrpics, 11 months ago

Thanks for the tip.   I have the 18-55 as it came with the camera, but I was thinking of the 20-50 for easier travelling.   I'm beginning to think I'll give it a miss.  What with slow AF and no OIS its beginning to seem a bit underwhelming.

RPywell
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?

The 20-50 is great with the NX20, hardly any bigger than a pancake when "parked" - gives excellent, sharp results for a compact kit lens.

Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,268Gear list
Like?
In reply to RPywell, 11 months ago

I agree. It's a wonderful lens.

MGJA
Regular MemberPosts: 366Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gesture, 11 months ago

A third vote for the 20-50. Yes, no ois. But I find it's on my camera most of the time, because the IQ is great for a zoom lens (and it sharpens up very well in PP). I thought I would use the 16 and 30 mm pancakes a lot more than I do, but between its very comfortable size and IQ, I find myself going for the 20-50 a lot. The only real complaint about it I have is that it is very sensitive to flaring. Of course, that is to be expected for any lens with no hood.

mrpics
Forum MemberPosts: 98Gear list
Like?

As has been noted by the other comments multiple times, the lens is nice and sharp if shooting static subjects. I never really missed the OIS.

I'd still say, that in my experience with taking shots of people, I much prefer a prime or the 18-55.

But it is a nice option for landscape and such in my opinion.
But since the 18-55 has a wider zoom range and you are using the NX20, which is quite large on its own, I am not sure you would really profit from the difference in size.

Go into a shop and try it out, would be my suggestion...

I'd rather spend the money for a prime if I were you...

mrpics's gear list:mrpics's gear list
Samsung NX100 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads