What was your first camera ever that sparked your interest in photography?

Started Oct 16, 2013 | Discussions
ecm
ecm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,452Gear list
Like?
Re: What was your first camera ever that sparked your interest in photography?
In reply to Edwaste, Oct 17, 2013

+1

My first interest in photography was also from magazines like NatGeo and from some of the gorgeous large format "coffee table" books my parents kept around the house.

I started taking photos with a 110 cartridge format camera of uncertain lineage, the occasional keeper I got from it piqued my interest but it was really when my parents gave me a Minolta HiMatic F when I was 11 or 12 that my interest in photography took off. I used it for many years, until I could afford an SLR. It was a delightful little camera that really got me interested in photography.

-- hide signature --

unus pes præ altero....

ecm's gear list:ecm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Canon EOS 600D Pentax Q Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 14,106
Like?
Re: had a Kodak Instamatic 304
In reply to jess shudup, Oct 17, 2013

jess shudup wrote:

What really got me started though was the Kodak book "How to Make Good Pictures".

The one I remember reading some time after I started enjoying photography was Kodak's "The Joy Of Photography" complete with lots of gimmicky techniques to try.

I actually picked up an old copy of "How to Make Good Pictures" for a couple dollars recently.  It has a dust jacket that's the yellow of a Kodak film box.  I figured it would look great on a shelf alongside a couple old Brownies.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 14,106
Like?
Re: Kodak Instamatic
In reply to JulesJ, Oct 17, 2013

I just checked.  It was the 414.  (I ended up with it, somehow).  I also have a Hawkeye Instamatic R4 that's fairly beat up (scratched all over) .. don't remember where I got that; must have picked it up at a yard sale for a dollar somewhere.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Rascati
Forum MemberPosts: 65Gear list
Like?
In reply to Norge65, Oct 17, 2013

Olympus OM1 w/50mm 1.4 lens. Bought it new in High School. A little later I bought the Winder for the camera. I felt like a sports photographer for Sports illustrated!

Rascati's gear list:Rascati's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon 1 V2 +12 more
Perry Kivolowitz
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?
Minolta SR 7 - nt
No text.
 Perry Kivolowitz's gear list:Perry Kivolowitz's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,754Gear list
Like?

Making great images sparked my interest in photography. Finding a camera I liked using that enabled me to do that was more mundane activity, like trying to decide what car to buy.

Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM
tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,321Gear list
Like?
Yeah, I had one. nice unit. /nt
In reply to Apollo18, Oct 17, 2013
-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software.
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Rokinon T-S 24mm 1:3.5 ED AS UMC +15 more
GeorgeD200
Regular MemberPosts: 386
Like?
Ricoh KR-5 Super, @1985
In reply to Hemidart, Oct 17, 2013

Mine was a KR-5 Super. A solid K1000 clone. Not quite as tough, but a great, simple shooting machine. I always liked the match-needle metering system.

RUcrAZ
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,180
Like?
Kodak 1937 +/-

Note the neat flip-up, lie-flat viewfinder; the prominent shutter button; the red exposure counter (8 exposures per roll!) and the folding carrying handle. Also, the compactness via use of extension bellows.

RUcrAZ

Stephenhampshire
Contributing MemberPosts: 856Gear list
Like?
Mamiya DSX1000

Mamiya DSX1000 -35mm SLR with 42mm Pentax thread and Spot-metering mode, just like my brother's Spotmatic!

I was 12 at the time, and shot this for three years until I got a Canon AE-1. Can't remember what happened tothe Mamiya, but I still have the AE-1 although it doesn't work anymore. I sold my other AE-1 when I was newly married and broke, I also now have another working body courtesy of e-bay.

-- hide signature --
 Stephenhampshire's gear list:Stephenhampshire's gear list
Samsung TL350 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +13 more
coudet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,814
Like?
Wasn't the camera /NT

no text here, senor

teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,065Gear list
Like?
Daguerreotype - 1836 n/t
No text.
 teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 4,173Gear list
Like?
My mother's old Kodak Brownie Hawkeye with flash (120/620 film)

http://www.brownie-camera.com/27.shtml

I was age 7 or 8.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Trafford
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,921
Like?
Re: Kodak 1937 +/-
In reply to RUcrAZ, Oct 17, 2013

RUcrAZ wrote:

Note the neat flip-up, lie-flat viewfinder; the prominent shutter button; the red exposure counter (8 exposures per roll!) and the folding carrying handle. Also, the compactness via use of extension bellows.

RUcrAZ

Did the shutter unscrew in order to use a remote type of cable? The red counter was a
strip of transparent red material to avoid fogging the paper backed film. The viewfinder
is very neat, could use something similar in some of today's compacts to supplement
the LCD on a bright day.

ruhell
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
Canon AE-1
In reply to NancyP, Oct 17, 2013

Canon AE-1 with the not very excellent Sigma 35-70 in 1982

-- hide signature --
yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,944Gear list
Like?
Pentax K-1000

I grew up shooting with various Kodak Instamatics when I was a kid, but I never had a camera of my own until I bought my Pentax K1000 when I was in my very early 20s. That camera, known with great affection as The Brick, was my very best teacher, not just as a photographer but as an artist, and, frankly, it was one of the two or three great inanimate loves of my life. I shot with it exclusively for more than 20 years, using two lenses (the 50mm f/2 M and the 85mm f/2 M). I never moved to digital, sticking with my Brick until film got too expensive and inconvenient and then giving up photography altogether for about 6 years.

Then last year I got another "first camera", a Canon Powershot SX150IS. That one didn't last as long in my affections, since I outgrew it in about a year and replaced it late this summer with a Pentax K-30 and a Fuji X10. That Fuji is a crazy little beast, and the Pentax, well, it's most of the way to establishing itself as a worthy successor to the Brick. All I need is one more lens-- the Pentax 35 mm Limited Macro is a decent sort of 50mm, and somewhere out there is something that will become the slightly longer stablemate it needs.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +2 more
yardcoyote
Like?
Re: Pentax MX
In reply to Apollo18, Oct 17, 2013

Yeah-- that's the awesome thing about a manual Pentax.  If you can live without the light meter, you can be completely free from the whole battery thing.

I shot a lot with an MX, and have a sweet little all black one, but I never liked it as well as my K-1000.  There's no substitute for that match needle meter.

Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +2 more
yardcoyote
Like?
Re: Ricoh KR-5 Super, @1985
In reply to GeorgeD200, Oct 17, 2013

K-1000 here.  And yes, the match needle was a brilliant system.  The first manufacturer to make a digital camera with a match needle meter (either real or simulated) will sell me one.  There is no better way to handle EV or exposure compensation.

Bouldergramp
Regular MemberPosts: 199Gear list
Like?
Argus C4
-- hide signature --

Bouldergramp, USA

Bouldergramp's gear list:Bouldergramp's gear list
Samsung EX2F
jvkelley
Contributing MemberPosts: 837Gear list
Like?
Not many digital cameras in this thread

My dad had a couple Nikon SLRs from the 70's or 80's.  My mom had one of those compact superzoom 35mm fully automatic cameras from the 90's.  I used all of these a little bit in middle school and high school, but never got into too much.  I didn't understand exposure or composition well enough to enjoy it.

My parents bought a cheap HP digital camera when I was in high school.  It didn't have zoom or any manual controls, but I loved that thing.  The instant feedback was something that finally captured my imagination.

-- hide signature --

J.V.

jvkelley's gear list:jvkelley's gear list
Canon PowerShot S50 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads