Disney World night parade + gel on flash

Started Oct 15, 2013 | Discussions
midwest man
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Disney World night parade + gel on flash
Oct 15, 2013

I realize a flash for a night parade would not give the characters the right WB compared to the scene. Could using a gel on the flash allow for a sharper image in low light while keeping the theme of the parade? Specifically the Halloween parade with all the ghoulish guys and gals. I want to keep that dark scary feeling while getting a better sharper shot.

I was thinking about a yellow/amber gel to warm it up a bit. With all the colored lighting effects I wonder if it would be noticed or ruin the shot?

Any thoughts on this?

Wayne Larmon
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,275
Like?
Rosco PDFs on how to use gels
In reply to midwest man, Oct 15, 2013

midwest man wrote:

I realize a flash for a night parade would not give the characters the right WB compared to the scene. Could using a gel on the flash allow for a sharper image in low light while keeping the theme of the parade? Specifically the Halloween parade with all the ghoulish guys and gals. I want to keep that dark scary feeling while getting a better sharper shot.

I was thinking about a yellow/amber gel to warm it up a bit. With all the colored lighting effects I wonder if it would be noticed or ruin the shot?

Any thoughts on this?

I don't have enough experience to answer your question, but I can mention that Rosco has several publications in PDF format that contains a lot of information on gels and how to use them.  The publications are geared towards theatrical lighting but they still contain a lot of information that is useful for photographers (i.e., compensating for different color temperatures.)

Rosco swatchbooks contain samples of gels that are just big enough to put on a camera flash.

Rosco Cinegel Swatchbook.  $2.50

When you find which colors work for you, you can buy 20x24 inch sheets for $6-$7.

Wayne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,213Gear list
Like?
Re: Disney World night parade + gel on flash
In reply to midwest man, Oct 15, 2013

midwest man wrote:

I realize a flash for a night parade would not give the characters the right WB compared to the scene.

And that is not the only problem.

Sandra and I visited Disney World for three weeks during last decade (2004). We took mostly videos, and I still have the DVD files I made from 11 hours of DV tape recordings.

Your flash will typically go as far as 3 meters (9 feet). A complete marching band will fill the frame at something like 10 meters distance. With a flash you will mainly succeed in irritating other visitors.

We observed that the lighting levels provided were sufficient for still photography, and the lighting itself is designed to add atmosphere. The huge lanterns in the parade will not benefit from a flash.

For the night parades then, I would leave the flash in the hotel.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads