D7100 Virtual Horizon

Started Oct 14, 2013 | Discussions
TrustNoOne
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
D7100 Virtual Horizon
Oct 14, 2013

Hi,

I am trying to use the virtual horizon without assigning a button to it, I tried assigning a button enabling it, and changing the button to the previous role, and the virtual horizon feature is turned off automatically.

Does someone have experience doing it?

newbrain
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 Virtual Horizon
In reply to TrustNoOne, Oct 15, 2013

As far as I know (and can find in the manual) if neither the Fn or Pv button are assigned the Virtual Horizon function, you cannot display it in the viewfinder.

A possible workaround (but I would not like it much) would be to show the VH on the LCD display, using the setup menu.

As the menu system will remember your last position, it can be recalled (Menu, then OK) and dismissed (Menu, twice) quite easily. This function can also be assigned in "My Menu" to make it easier recalling it.

As a matter of fact, I have my Pv button as VH.

newbrain's gear list:newbrain's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stuntmonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,673
Like?
Re: D7100 Virtual Horizon
In reply to TrustNoOne, Oct 15, 2013

TrustNoOne wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to use the virtual horizon without assigning a button to it, I tried assigning a button enabling it, and changing the button to the previous role, and the virtual horizon feature is turned off automatically.

Does someone have experience doing it?

You can't have the LCD virtual horizon on full time, because it's the same scale used for EV comp.... that's just the way it is (EV comp being a photographic priority over alignment for most people). But yes, you have the horizon on by default and full time for live view.

newbrain
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?
Not really
In reply to stuntmonkey, Oct 15, 2013

stuntmonkey wrote:

You can't have the LCD virtual horizon on full time, because it's the same scale used for EV comp.... that's just the way it is (EV comp being a photographic priority over alignment for most people). [...]

Terrible picture, I know...but it makes my point.

newbrain's gear list:newbrain's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
stuntmonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,673
Like?
Re: Not really
In reply to newbrain, Oct 15, 2013

newbrain wrote:

stuntmonkey wrote:

You can't have the LCD virtual horizon on full time, because it's the same scale used for EV comp.... that's just the way it is (EV comp being a photographic priority over alignment for most people). [...]

Terrible picture, I know...but it makes my point.

whoops, my bad

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads