Video Questions

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
jwilliams
Contributing MemberPosts: 630
Like?
Video Questions
6 months ago

I have been shooting some video lately with the EOS-M and notice the video files are much larger than comparable files from my Oly EM5 or Panny GH1.  Looking at the files I notice the EOS-M has a bit rate of 45 kbps where the others are in the 15-25 kbps range.  I like the video and know faster bit rate is better in general.  I looked in the menus and don't see any way to control the bit rate directly, just the format (1080 or 720) and the fps rate.   Is there any way other than dropping to a lower resolution or frame rate to get a little smaller files?

My video usage is strictly home video type stuff so no need that last bit of perfection, especially if it blows up the file sizes.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 1,834
Like?
Re: Video Questions
In reply to jwilliams, 6 months ago

jwilliams wrote:

I have been shooting some video lately with the EOS-M and notice the video files are much larger than comparable files from my Oly EM5 or Panny GH1.

EOS M doesn't compress audio into a lossy format. It records audio in Linear PCM. This could affect file sizes a fair bit.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
xi5
xi5
Regular MemberPosts: 270
Like?
In reply to jwilliams, 6 months ago

jwilliams wrote:

I have been shooting some video lately with the EOS-M and notice the video files are much larger than comparable files from my Oly EM5 or Panny GH1. Looking at the files I notice the EOS-M has a bit rate of 45 kbps where the others are in the 15-25 kbps range. I like the video and know faster bit rate is better in general. I looked in the menus and don't see any way to control the bit rate directly, just the format (1080 or 720) and the fps rate. Is there any way other than dropping to a lower resolution or frame rate to get a little smaller files?

My video usage is strictly home video type stuff so no need that last bit of perfection, especially if it blows up the file sizes.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

You could convert or render to a lower bitrate and/or resolution in an editor, but the bitrate/larger file sizes is a plus. This helps with the high quality video images.

External storage is cheap; perhaps shoot EOS M video and buy more storage?

You could buy a sub-$100 pocket camera that shoots 720p HD.

Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 1,840Gear list
Like?
In reply to xi5, 6 months ago

The video and sound qualities of the EOS-M are more appealing than the still image ones to me.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads